Can early induction (37 weeks) affect baby's development? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-15-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was induced with this baby at 37 0/7 weeks. I was induced because i had a placental abruption last February at 38 6/7 weeks and my daughter died and i went into DIC. Super stress filled pregnancy with this one, but good induction. She is my 4th living child. compared to my other children, she seems behind in her development and i was wondering if being induced early could contribute to this?  she is definitely past 16 weeks, but by dates, she will turn 4 months on the 20th of this month. i have not really put her on her tummy at all until 2 weeks ago (because the other children attack her when she is within reach:) and even so, its only for 3 minutes here and there (she hates it). her back muscles are weak. she doesn't last very long on her tummy, like she looks around for a few minutes then gets upset and just rests her head on the floor. i am wondering if i should be concerned? well, i am already worrying - her 4 month appointment is in 2 weeks so i don't want to call before that unless i really have good cause.

thank you!

#2 of 3 Old 05-21-2013, 06:07 AM

I wouldn't consider it urgent but do bring it up at her next well visit. All babies develop differently. There is  a significant size difference of a baby's brain at 35 weeks and 40 weeks. But if you needed to be induced then the procedure's benefits outweighed the risks. I was also afraid to put my very young baby on the floor at first so I'd do it in his crib where he has a hard mattress. That is like the only good use I got out of his crib. LOL You could always use a play pen too. At first he'd only stay there for a few seconds but I'd do it various times through out the day and gradually he worked up to being most comfortable on his belly. Also, some people use a baby carrier to try and develop those muscles but I'm not sure how exactly it works. 

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

#3 of 3 Old 05-21-2013, 07:07 AM

this can definately wait until your next appointment. It does sound like a very mild delay, but should be easily managed with stimulating the development with OT if needed. Your doctor can help you decide. This may be due to the induction, BUT it seems like the induction was probably the best decision given your history.

Tags
Bob

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page