Topical fluoride and children - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-21-2014, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Dr. Sears,

I was wondering what your thoughts and recommendations are regarding fluoride treatments and children. My little one is 4 1/2 and I've refused fluoride topical applications in the past with the pediatric dentist. At the last appointment I had mentioned when I made the appointment that I did not want fluoride applied and it was done despite what I asked. Besides being extremely angry that they did not listen to me is there anything to be concerned about? I've been researching fluoride and have been reading conflicting information regarding safety in children. My child was not told to rinse right after but rather was told not to rinse or eat/drink anything for a half hour. Doing my research it seems that rinsing is recommended with children? There was no specific reason for this to be done such as cavities. Thankfully there were no cavities at this or the last visit but it seemed that the dentist wasn't happy when I said that I don't use fluoride toothpaste!

Thanks so much for your time. I really appreciate and value your opinion.

Best regards,

Faith

#2 of 3 Old 02-23-2014, 04:27 PM

I view topical fluoride as controversial as well. I don't think the research gives us a clear answer. In light on that, I usually tell patients NOT to do it, since we don't know it's safe.

#3 of 3 Old 02-23-2014, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your reply Dr. Sears. I really value your advice and appreciate your time.

Tags
Bob

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page