What are your birth plans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 05-03-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been thinking a lot about DS's birth, and how I want some things to be different this time.  I had a hospital birth, attended by a great midwife and doula.  Aside from one snarky nurse when I first arrived (who told me I had to change into a gown because "you can't give birth in sweatpants!"  Of course, I ignored her.), we had a really wonderful experience.  The nurses are used to working with my MW, and there were no offers of meds, nobody whisked my baby away for unwanted procedures,there was no pressure or questions when we opted out of eye ointment, HepB vax, and other "necessities", and DS never left our sight.  I went there in battle mode, prepared to fend off interfering staff, but it was all very relaxed and low-key.  They didn't even freak when I slept with DS with me in the hospital bed.  What a relief.

That said, there are some things that irked me.  They wanted to take DS's blood sugar every x-number of hours, to check for diabetes.  He was a large baby, 9 lbs 7 oz, but I think the idea of arbitrarily sticking a baby is absurd.  At the time, I was too tired and overwhelmed to protest, except for one time in the middle of the night (!).  I also didn't like that they wanted to take vitals (mine and DS's) every so often, especially when there were no signs of anything being the slightest bit out-of-the-ordinary.  Again, during the day is fine, but the middle of the night?  Go away!  Lastly, the hospital has this ridiculous rule that you can't carry your baby around outside of the room.  You have to use their little cart/bassinett thing to hold your child.  I lost a TON of blood, so I wasn't really up to taking strolls around the hospital, but the idea pissed me off.  I had brought my sling with me, and I had had visions of wearing my newborn while walking about.

I don't think I want a homebirth.  I love my midwife, and I don't think she does them, for one reason.  Also, I don't want to deal with the clean-up.  Plus, if I do hemmorhage again...  I'd love to do a birth center, but the closest one is about 45 minutes away, and I'd have to find a new MW.  So we're planning the hospital route again, since we did have a great experience overall.  But I'd like to leave ASAP afterwards (assuming I don't hemmorhage again).  I need to talk to my MW at my appointment next Monday, because I have no idea what I need to do in order to check myself out shortly after birth.  I remember the 48 hr stay having something to do with the baby, not with me, but I need to find out what the "rules" are so that I can get out of there and go home.

What about everyone else?  I know it's early, and things change, but what do you want from your birth?

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#2 of 50 Old 05-03-2011, 08:01 AM

This will be my 3rd hospital VBAC with an amazing OB.  My first birth was a cesarean due to surprise breech and an unskilled care provider, my other two were unmedicated VBACs.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post

I don't think I want a homebirth.  I love my midwife, and I don't think she does them, for one reason.  Also, I don't want to deal with the clean-up.  Plus, if I do hemmorhage again...  I'd love to do a birth center, but the closest one is about 45 minutes away, and I'd have to find a new MW.  So we're planning the hospital route again, since we did have a great experience overall.  But I'd like to leave ASAP afterwards (assuming I don't hemmorhage again).  I need to talk to my MW at my appointment next Monday, because I have no idea what I need to do in order to check myself out shortly after birth.  I remember the 48 hr stay having something to do with the baby, not with me, but I need to find out what the "rules" are so that I can get out of there and go home.

At a homebirth, the midwives do all the cleanup for you smile.gif  And they also carry meds in case of hemorrhage.  But you can leave the hospital early if you want to, you just have to sign a form saying you are taking the baby AMA (against medical advice)

I left early both times, was home 12 hours after giving birth to Emily, and about 18 hours after Jack.  Both times the hospital ped looked over the baby, said everything was fine, I promised to take the baby to our ped within 2 days for a weight check and the PKU test, and they even checked "may go" on the discharge form - I just still had to sign the AMA form because hospital policy is that the baby has to stay 24 hours.  They didn't give me a hard time at all.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#3 of 50 Old 05-03-2011, 08:12 AM

This birth will be a homebirth. I am meeting with my midwife later today. Most likely she will be the one. We spoke on the phone for about an hour yesterday and I felt really at ease with her and she seemed exactly like the CP that I wanted. But we will see today how it goes.

My first was an uneducated medicated hospital birth and my second was a homebirth. Which was a wonderful but slightly alarming experience because she was an unknown breech. But I already discussed with this MW about what we can do prior to the birth in case this one decides to be breech as well. 

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#4 of 50 Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 AM

Well my first was born at a conventional hospital and my last two were both born at home. Dh wants to have another homebirth. Our local hospital has these awesome birthing suites and I'm tempted to birth there but only because my last home birth experience was not very restful. We didn't have good boundaries with family visitors and I didn't feel "taken care of" the 24-48 hours after she was born. It felt like any other day. I want to avoid that this time and Dh is reassuring me that we can have a different experience at home if we put up boundaries and hire some postpartum help for the first few days. I am starting my prenatal care with my old homebirth midwife and if I decide to switch later on I will. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#5 of 50 Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 AM

I have had 3 c/s and will have another one for medical reasons :)  All my sections have been positive experiences, so besides the sucky recover I am good to go!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#6 of 50 Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 AM

I am planning a homebirth vbac. It's a really politically sensitive topic in CA so there aren't many midwives who will do it, but the ones who do are very experienced. My DD's birth was an unscheduled csection because she was in distress (the cord was wrapped around her neck twice and I was only around 5-6cm dilated so they wouldn't let me continue to labor). I did not have a great time in the hospital and really want to avoid it this time around.

#7 of 50 Old 05-03-2011, 11:17 AM

This is my first pregnancy and after doing a lot of research (with help of MDC!) I am planning a homebirth.  If that's not possible, then a non-medicated birth (unless absolutely necessary---like life and death necessary) at the hospital. 

**2**4**3rdtri.gif**8**10**12**14**16**18**20**22**24**26**28**30**32**34**36**38**40homebirth.jpg
SAHstepM to C faint.gif and N blahblah.gif
#8 of 50 Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 PM

I was set on having a home birth with a team of amazing midwives, however, after contacting them to schedule my first appointment I was told they will be on vacation on my due date! I am super bummed as I have heard amazing things about them and a couple of friends have used them for their home births. There are other midwives in my area but they don't have nearly the same reputation and qualifications as the ones I had wanted:( Instead I am going with a non-medicated hospital birth with an amazing ob. Part of me feels better to have my first birth in a hospital so I know what to expect for a future hb (that will happen someday!)
#9 of 50 Old 05-03-2011, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I am planning my third homebirth....just don't know where the home will be!  We just moved back to the area and are staying with my parents.  I really want to be settled in our own place at least two or three months before the birth though.

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#10 of 50 Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 PM

My first birth was in the hospital w CNMs and the second was at home. Both were good experiences. For this baby I think I might go to a birth center, 2nd choice will be in the hsp. w CNMs. It will hinge somewhat on what my insurance covers. Regardless, it will be with Midwives no matter what.

It's the first baby for my partner and I want him to feel comfortable and have a great experience, too. :)

Mama to AJS - 22, CRS -17 and forever in my heart GHAB 8/5/11/(18 weeks) angel2.gif

#11 of 50 Old 05-04-2011, 08:57 AM

I had a HB with my second while we were living at my parents house. It definitely was not my first choice but it was a very special experience and I will forever be grateful that my daughter was born at her grandparents house. They are also very proud and honored to have that experience. 

#12 of 50 Old 05-04-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I am planning my third homebirth....just don't know where the home will be!  We just moved back to the area and are staying with my parents.  I really want to be settled in our own place at least two or three months before the birth though.

I had a HB with my second while we were living at my parents house. It definitely was not my first choice but it was a very special experience and I will forever be grateful that my daughter was born at her grandparents house. They are also very proud and honored to have that experience. 

#13 of 50 Old 05-04-2011, 10:27 AM

I'm pretty set on a home birth, but there is a serious lack of home birth midwives in my area.  If I can't find one, I might have an unassisted birth at home or I might go to the midwifery center at the local hospital.  We're uninsured, which complicates matters.  Also, this pregnancy doesn't seem like a real thing yet, which is probably why I haven't started making plans.   

#14 of 50 Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidink View Post

I'm pretty set on a home birth, but there is a serious lack of home birth midwives in my area.  If I can't find one, I might have an unassisted birth at home or I might go to the midwifery center at the local hospital.  We're uninsured, which complicates matters.  Also, this pregnancy doesn't seem like a real thing yet, which is probably why I haven't started making plans.   

I know a homebirth midwife who does births in your area.  I will send you a message :)

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#15 of 50 Old 05-04-2011, 01:42 PM

I have no idea yet. I am going back n forth on homebrith vs hospital. All my other children have been born in a hospital but for the past few I have wanted a homebirth. This time we could do it, I just have to get past the cost. I just dont know. I have my first appt with the OB on the 13th and will go from there. I am going to talk to her and see if I can get what I want out of a hospital birth (known to be very natural birth friendly dr) and if I cant get 100% then I will bite the cost of the homebirth and just do it. I know the cost shouldnt play a part in my choice but it does. My husband is fully commited to a homebirth if that is what I want. My true desire is a home water birth *sigh*

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
#16 of 50 Old 05-05-2011, 08:08 PM

We are definitely having a homebirth again with this one.  We had a really rough hospital birth center experience with dd1 even though we had a very wonderful midwife.  Mostly it was the stay afterwards, not sleeping for days and the constant intrusions etc. etc.  With dd2 we had a beautiful home water birth, I will cherish those memories for the rest of my life.  I had a wonderful midwife with that birth as well, which we will using again.  I remember dancing under the stars outside with dh during contractions, and just feeling so free and happy.  Definitely, definitely homebirthing no matter what the cost.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#17 of 50 Old 05-08-2011, 06:31 AM

We had an okay birth experience in the hospital with the first son, but really didn't like all the rules - like having to stay in the hospital since my water broke, but contractions hadn't started yet, not being able to leave the maternity floor to walk around (felt like I was in prison), induction being pushed from the start (although they did allow me to labor on my own after realizing I had dilated a few cm, but because of my fear of interventions at the hospital, I think my labor was slow to progress and we ended up with pitocin), when the baby's temperature wasn't at the level they wanted, they put him under a heat lamp rather than just bringing warm blankets to cover him over me, they gave him formula because we had troubles initially with nursing and his blood sugar levels weren't high enough (maybe if they had let me eat in early labor!), etc, etc.  

Hoping to have a homebirth and am exploring our options and seeing if it's covered by insurance, the cost, etc.

Really still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I'm pregnant, but know that I doubted having a homebirth with the first and regretted it.  I knew if we were to have a 2nd I really wanted to get to experience birthing my way rather than by hospital rules!

#18 of 50 Old 05-09-2011, 06:08 AM

We will plan a homebirth and hopefully actually have one this time!  My son was a stargazer and after 36 hours of labor we went to the hospital and actually had a pretty good experience considering.  We were able to leave about 4 hours after he was born, taking my placenta and having had everyone we wanted in the room with us.  This was in a different state and town though, so definitely preparing myself more physically this time for a long homebirth.  Even though I was told I have a roomy pelvis and the next one should come flying out!

treehugger.gifAP mama to lovable, energetic DS born 4/9/08, expecting #2 mid Jan 2012, wife to German Professor, friend to many. namaste.gif

#19 of 50 Old 05-09-2011, 09:17 AM

I desperately, desperately want a homebirth!  I'm afraid I'll risk out because of a history of pregnancy loss and preeclampsia with my daughter. 

I already have my midwife picked out though.  smile.gif And have since loooong before I knew we were having another. 

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#20 of 50 Old 05-09-2011, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

After having an accidental home birth last time and how I was treated after transferring to the hospital, I'm definitely all for a planned home birth this time around. I'm so excited for it!

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#21 of 50 Old 05-09-2011, 03:49 PM

SparklingGemini- I had pre-e with my first and it was a non issue when we booked our homebirth midwife for #2.  It is actually very rare to get pre-e twice. I just watched my salt intake and followed the brewer's diet to be sure.  If your pregnancy loss isn't late term lose you should be OK there as well.  I would definitely call up that midwife! 

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#22 of 50 Old 05-10-2011, 09:15 AM

I would LOVE a home birth.  At the moment I don't know of ANY midwives in the area, let alone hb midwives (our local hospital discontinued it's Midwife program...).  We had a positive hospital experience with a family practitioner, so we'll go that route again if I can't find an hb midwife and I'd like to do a water birth this time around :)

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

#23 of 50 Old 05-10-2011, 09:25 AM

try posting on the Midwifery Today facebook page to see if anyone knows of midwives in your area.  There are some travelling midwives, too :)

#24 of 50 Old 05-10-2011, 09:28 AM

Thank you :)

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

#25 of 50 Old 05-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Banned

I'm preg with #4 and I'm hoping this will be my 2nd HB. DD1 was a hospital birth, DS2 was a HB, DS3 was a UC that I transferred to the hospital. Hoping DC4 will be a MW attended HB... Just waiting on the test to come back to see if I am RH sensitized, since I did not have rhogam after DS3.  If the test is negative we are good to move on with the HB plans!

#26 of 50 Old 05-12-2011, 12:09 AM

Not sure yet. I found a really awesome birth center I am going to check into. I really don't want to get prenatal care/give birth at the mtf again wasn't impressed with my care last time.

#27 of 50 Old 05-12-2011, 03:31 AM

This will be our 4th home/water birth.  I adore my midwife and we have a nice long history.  She will be shocked to hear from me no doubt as I was adamant that #3 was our last!  lol.gif

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#28 of 50 Old 05-14-2011, 07:34 AM

Homebirth. I need to find a new midwife though as I don't wish to use the same midwives I used with my first two kids.

#29 of 50 Old 05-14-2011, 07:58 AM

Homebirth for sure!  I loved my first HB and my MW, although we have moved since so I will have to search for a new one. And maybe this time I'll actually deliver in the water. . .we had a tub last time and I spent some time in it, but wound up delivering on the bed. Which may have been for the best as ds got a shoulder stuck.  But it would be nice to have a waterbirth this time.

I may wind up with dual care for the first 20weeks though. .. that way I can get the u/s covered by ins. and then just tell the hospital I switched to a HB MW. I feel a little nervous about doing this, but we'll see.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#30 of 50 Old 05-14-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose_lee View Post

I'm in the same boat. Both of my DD's were born at home in the water. This one will be, too...we are planning on moving to a neighborhood with better schools  than the one we live in now, we have no idea where we will end up.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page