The Official Morning Sickness Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Let's have a pity party!!  partytime.gif

I don't want to keep whining to folks in real life, so I thought we could all commiserate here...  Who else is sick?  What helps?  What doesn't? 

I'm nauseous almost all day.  It seems to go away for a while in late afternoon, but then it's back in the evening.  Bagels with peanut butter seem to help.  So does getting outside and taking a walk, or at least it takes my mind off my misery. Ginger doesn't do a thing for me, and drinking too much liquid makes it worse. 

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2011, 07:06 PM

The nausea really kicked in this weekend for me. I feel your pain. Havent figured out what helps yet. I tried some cola tonight, that did seem to help and carnation instant breakfast with some milk worked this AM. I have those preggie pop drops but while they worked my last pregnancies this one not so much so far.

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
Old 05-09-2011, 07:39 PM

I was mildly queasy this morning. I did manage to eat toast w cheese and some crackers and then yogurt at work. It seemed to abate in the early afternoon. I honestly wonder if my pre-natal vitamins are helping to keep the nausea at bay (but it's still pretty early) as they have a lot B6 in them. I'm taking the Rainbow Light complete. I have to take 6 a day, but so far, so good. I got lemons, lemon popsicles and lemon candy at the store on Sunday in hopes that will help, too.

I'm going see an acupuncturist on Saturday to help w the m/s. So far I got good responses on the main pregnancy board when I asked if it's helped any other mamas.

Hoping we all get through this alright.

Mama to AJS - 22, CRS -17 and forever in my heart GHAB 8/5/11/(18 weeks) angel2.gif

Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 AM

I've got the all day nausea going on too.  Crackers and frequent meals don't seem to be helping.  I'm going to pick up some hard lemon candies today and see if that helps any.  With my last pregnancy the nausea lasted the whole time.  I have EVERYTHING crossed that it goes away in a couple months this time.

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

Old 05-10-2011, 02:43 PM

I think mine officially kicked in today. I was getting nausea here and there since week 4 but today, I woke up feeling like I was hungover and it didn't go away for hours. I don't want to eat but I have to eat to keep from getting nauseous. I only want bread-y foods. Nothing looks good. I'm dizzy and super tired too. I definitely deserve pity! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 05-10-2011, 06:18 PM

lol I am glad I am not the only one who woke up and went omg am I hung over? You described exactly how I have felt today. I hope it passes quickly for both of us! (and my new fav food is honey wheat bread lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post

I think mine officially kicked in today. I was getting nausea here and there since week 4 but today, I woke up feeling like I was hungover and it didn't go away for hours. I don't want to eat but I have to eat to keep from getting nauseous. I only want bread-y foods. Nothing looks good. I'm dizzy and super tired too. I definitely deserve pity! 

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
Old 05-10-2011, 06:56 PM

I get sick after 8pm till 6am. That's it, except for when I'm in the car driving? Then I feel like I should just puke than drive every 10 minutes.

belly.gif Nova born on 12/15/11 
belly.gifCapri expected 1/26/14

Old 05-11-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

I'm feeling especially horrible today.  I haven't thrown up (thank God!), but I'm soooo nauseous.  I also have a headache, and I'm exhausted.  I ate my usual bagel-with-peanut butter breakfast, but it hasn't helped.  I also tried a ginger capsule.  I just keep gagging every so often...  We have a pretty busy day planned, and I just want to sit down and  mecry.gif

I hate hormones.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:33 AM

I am definitely ready for a pity party over here, I think dh is sick of hearing it.  My stomach turns and I get so sick all the time, but I am one of those people who can't throw up.  Every slightly funky smell makes me feel so sick and the thought of eating sounds like a punishment.  I weighed myself yesterday and I have lost 1.5 pounds in a week!  I tried to eat more food at dinner last night to make up for it and ended up sick all night and this morning too.  I bought some Barbara's Bakery Wheatines and those things seem to help a lot and so does ginger kombucha.  I carry the crackers around with me and snack on one when the nausea starts and before a workout to keep the stomach acids at bay.  Oh and a cup of peppermint or ginger tea helps too. 

I think I am going to switch over to the Rainbow Lights and see if that helps at all. 

Can I also just add to the pity party that only one boob hurts?(and I swear it's getting bigger) LOL

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
Old 05-11-2011, 04:46 PM

It's been around getting worse over the past week and I've now officially gotten to the point where I'd rather just puke and hope that stops the nausea.  It seems like eating protein helps.  Chewing peppermint gum....but then as I realized today....I still need to eat or it gets worse and I can't eat at all.  Last pg I had m/s that was worse in the evening started at 6 weeks and lasted until about 16 weeks.  So far this time it's just a mild nausea (until today) that is with me most of the time....getting better after I eat protein foods.  Problem is when I'm too nauseous I don't want to eat anything and it spirals downward.  Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.  Maybe it won't last 1/2 way through the pregnancy this time.  It's only been a week and I can't take it any more!  And this time around I've got a little one to deal with and a 2nd job on top of it all....no down time to whine.  mecry.gif

Old 05-11-2011, 05:39 PM

Well, just puked and now I feel better and can eat dinner!  It's going to be a long pregnancy at this rate, but at least there is relief.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:23 PM

Oh, God.  I'm now dreaming that I'm nauseous and waking up sick and hungry.  Can't seem to eat anything.  Trying crackers, but so upset.  I just don't know if I can deal with m/s this time around.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower18 View Post

only been a week and I can't take it any more!  And this time around I've got a little one to deal with and a 2nd job on top of it all....no down time to whine.  mecry.gif

I think that's why it seems so much worse this time for me, too.  Last time, I could sleep and rest all I wanted, but obviously that's not an option with a very busy toddler running around.  I spent yesterday feeling awful and dry-heaving, I was nauseous all last night too, and I just got up this morning and decided I'd had enough.  I called my midwife and asked about medication.  There's some kind of concoction brewed up by a local pharmacy that is supposed to work wonders.  I have no clue what it is, but I'm going to try it out.  Even if I take it intermittently just to get through the really bad days... 

Old 05-12-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post

I think that's why it seems so much worse this time for me, too.  Last time, I could sleep and rest all I wanted, but obviously that's not an option with a very busy toddler running around.  I spent yesterday feeling awful and dry-heaving, I was nauseous all last night too, and I just got up this morning and decided I'd had enough.  I called my midwife and asked about medication.  There's some kind of concoction brewed up by a local pharmacy that is supposed to work wonders.  I have no clue what it is, but I'm going to try it out.  Even if I take it intermittently just to get through the really bad days... 

So glad to hear I'm not the only one.  I'm trying homeopathy - Ipecac - today.  Not sure if that's what is helping or not, but if I'm distracted enough, I feel okay.  Able to eat some breakfast and lunch.  Love to know what the concoction is that your midwife prescribed.  I know my OBGYN would recommend prescription meds, but I'd like to try everything else first....although last time nothing really worked for a long period of time.  On top of it all, we haven't told anyone yet...but I think the time is nearing as I'm sure I look like death warmed over at this point.

This article made me feel especially good.....at least knowing that it's likely to be the same (at least for 2/3rds of women) and that it will end and will pass is making me feel better!  At least for the moment.  I'll let you know the next time I'm hanging over the toilet. wink1.gif

Old 05-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Ok NOT cool. I woke up at 4am feeling like all my insides wanted to come out. *cry* I got some mornign wellness tea from Earth Mama, Angel Baby today. I am hoping it helps! I also noticed that if I eat soemthing like a couple crackers or really anything every 15-20min the nausea isnt quite so bad. *sigh* Gonna be a long pregnancy.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:25 PM

DH picked up some Yummy Earth lemon drops and it's keeping nausea at bay.....so far !

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 05-12-2011, 12:30 PM

Today is a particularly bad day.  I had horrific ms that lasted the whole time with my last pregnancy.  I just don't think I can handle that again.  I just want to hide under the covers all day.  Unfortunately that isn't an option.  :(  

Please Please let this get better soon. 

Married to my other half

Old 05-12-2011, 02:45 PM

the amount of dread I feel is hard to describe!  I was sick for 15 weeks with DS (I know some have had it worse).  Off and on throwing up, but mostly just an all day, all night empty aching yucky nauseous feeling.  I lost weight and could hardly eat a thing.  

I am 5 weeks tomorrow and have started feeling worse the past 2 days.  sigh....I was really hoping this time would be different.  Anyone have any m/s in the past that went away or didn't get worse, instead of only getting worse as time went on for the 1st trimester??

treehugger.gifAP mama to lovable, energetic DS born 4/9/08, expecting #2 mid Jan 2012, wife to German Professor, friend to many. namaste.gif

Old 05-12-2011, 11:06 PM

So glad to see others in the same boat....not that I'm wishing sickness on you, but it's good to have company.  Second night I've woken up at 1am hungry, nauseous and tired.  Can't seem to do anything about any of them.  No matter what I am able to eat, it doesn't stave off the hunger and the hunger pangs just exacerbate the nausea.  Can't sleep when I feel this awful.

I've been drinking Chamomile tea all day. I'll have to check out the Earth Mama Angel Baby Morning Wellness tea!  

I apparently coped with this before, but am so ready to cave and take meds this time around.  I think with the last pg though that it got worse in the beginning, then slowly got better over a period of 10 weeks.  Unfortunately no magic happened at the start of the 2nd trimester.  So wish I could know that it will lift this time as well.

I'm having such a hard time eating something regularly enough.  I managed to make it through the day identifying hash browns as something I could stomach at lunch.   Drinking tea and taking homeopathic Ipecac all day.   I made it though until dinner, but then DH didn't have anything cooked when I came home and it immediately went downhill from there.  Ice chips seem to help.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:53 AM

I had horrible morning sickness (all day sickness - I threw up after every single meal) with my first, and nothing with my second and third.  With this one, the past week or so, I've been having waves of morning sickness throughout the day, but only threw up the first time today.  I had just dropped off my 5 year old at school and pulled into the driveway at home.  I managed to get my 3 year old out of his car seat, then ran to the side of the driveway and tossed my cookies.

When I was finished, I kind of sat there for a minute wiping tears away (I always cry when I throw up), he gave me a hug and said, "Mommy, you like to spit on the grass?"  ROTFLMAO.gif

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

Old 05-13-2011, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Add me to the group that has actually thrown up.  I lost my breakfast yesterday, and I was so sick and pathetic feeling that I woke DH up early to take care of DS.  Then I sat there and cried for a half hour because I felt bad about waking DH up.  Ugh.  I'm a mess.

Thankfully, my midwife did call in the prescription.  I really didn't want to resort to meds, but I don't have the energy right now to try different homeopathic/natural remedies that may or may not work.  Maybe after a few days of relief, I can try other tricks, but right now I can't even think about it.  The script she called in is for a formulated medicine that is the same as Bendectin (which was taken off the market in the US, but is still available in Canada).  It contains dicyclomine, doxylamine, and vitamin B6.  It's like a miracle pill.  The "recommended" dosage is one every 8 hours, but I took one yesterday afternoon, and it lasted through this morning.  I think if I take them first thing when I get up, one a day should be fine.  I'll also still be on the lookout for other remedies, but OMG it's great not to feel sick.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 AM

Lol redbirdlady.. so cute!

This morning was the first time in a week I managed to brush my teeth without throwing up!!  That's incredibly exciting for me.  Maybe today will be a good day.

Married to my other half

Old 05-13-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirdlady View Post

When I was finished, I kind of sat there for a minute wiping tears away (I always cry when I throw up), he gave me a hug and said, "Mommy, you like to spit on the grass?"  ROTFLMAO.gif

LOL!  Glad to hear that your 2nd pg the m/s was better than the first.  I'm hoping since mine started earlier it will end earlier.

Who'd have thunk that fried chicken would have stayed down!?  Now I'm craving more hoping to keep the more severe nausea at bay.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:44 AM

I was feeling so good I made scrambled eggs and toast.  Very.Bad.Idea.

Married to my other half

Old 05-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post

The script she called in is for a formulated medicine that is the same as Bendectin (which was taken off the market in the US, but is still available in Canada).  It contains dicyclomine, doxylamine, and vitamin B6.  It's like a miracle pill. 

I wonder if this is what my midwife was talking about.  She said that the meds she would prescribe are actually illegal.  Do you know why it was taken of the market in the US?  Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Hi, ladies. Add me to the morning sickness gals! I had some nausea with my first two, but it seems worse this time. I've been actually throwing up at least a few times per day. I have no appetite. I've been trying to cram healthy foods into my body but it's hard. Hope you all start to feel better soon.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

Old 05-13-2011, 02:46 PM

I found amazing ginger soda today, its got nothing but fresh ginger, cane sugar and water. I think I may live on it. The label says Fresh Ginger Ginger Ale by Bruce Cost.

I feel less queasy after sipping on it. Just thought I'd share.

Mama to AJS - 22, CRS -17 and forever in my heart GHAB 8/5/11/(18 weeks) angel2.gif

Old 05-13-2011, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower18 View Post

I wonder if this is what my midwife was talking about.  She said that the meds she would prescribe are actually illegal.  Do you know why it was taken of the market in the US?  Glad to hear you are feeling better!

It was taken off the market due to false claims regarding birth defects (which I have to admit, freaked me out a bit!).  According to the pamphlet I received from the pharmacy, it's now the most widely-studied morning sickness remedy, and is widely used in the UK and Canada.  No links to birth defects have been found, and the "evidence" shown in one of the big cases against Merell Dow was found to be falsified.  

I mis-read the label, though, when I listed it earlier.  Doxylamine has been substituted for the dycyclomine, which makes it a slightly different formulation than Bendectin.  Here's a little blurb on it from Motherisk: http://www.motherisk.org/women/forum_question.jsp?forums_id=1149  Honestly, I trust the drug evaluators in Canada and UK more than the FDA, and I also trust my midwife.  That said, the dosage is 3 pills per day, and I'm only taking 1.  

I guess you can simulate it by taking Unisom and B6, if you want to try it out.  I don't know what dosage a Unisom is, but my pills are 10 mg of each.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 PM

I know this sounds really weird but I think my prenatals were causing my ms!  I missed a couple of days last week and I felt SOOO much better those days.  Then yesterday I forgot them and felt great, not much ms and not as fatigued, so I didn't take them today either.  I picked up some Rainbow Lights today and I am hoping that I they will be better then the Trader Joe's ones I was taking. Weird huh?

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
Old 05-14-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post

I know this sounds really weird but I think my prenatals were causing my ms!  I missed a couple of days last week and I felt SOOO much better those days.  Then yesterday I forgot them and felt great, not much ms and not as fatigued, so I didn't take them today either.  I picked up some Rainbow Lights today and I am hoping that I they will be better then the Trader Joe's ones I was taking. Weird huh?

I've heard its very common, actually. I think my rainbowlights may be helping with my m/s. Possibly the b6?

User Tag List