when are you telling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 5 weeks along with my second. We have told my sister and one of my best friends that I am pregnant. I was hoping to wait a while to tell our parents and everyone else. We wanted to wait until I was 10 weeks with my first but I got so sick my husband was worried about me and wanted my mom to know so she could help take care of me. I think we told around 7 weeks. I was hoping to wait until around 10 weeks again, but I am already starting to feel sick and I am pretty sure people are going to figure it out. I'm just not sure what to do because I don't want to tell everybody and then have something go wrong :(

What are you doing?

#2 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 07:50 AM

I told close friends right away.  I just told my ICAN chapter after I saw the heartbeat on saturday.  I was going to tell the ILs (and then announce publicly) this week but I am having an issue with them right now and don't really want to tell them at all.  greensad.gif  i can't really announce until they know.  

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#3 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 09:31 AM

I am the worst liar/evader in the entire world, so for us, it does no good to keep things under wraps.  We've only told my mom and a few friends I see daily, but honestly, every time someone jokes about being pregnant or having more, I blush furiously bag.gif, (hee hee).

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

#4 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 12:49 PM

We waited until something like 12-15 weeks with the first (that's a long time but my mom had 2 losses before her first full term pregnancy) My husband was DIEING to tell people.

With our second I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was already 10-12 weeks so we shared the news right away.

Now with our 3rd I think I'd like to wait until 10-12 weeks. I like the time of quiet and secrecy and thankfully I don't have and 'morning' sickness or showing until the second trimester, so everyone else is usually clueless. :)

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#5 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 01:51 PM

We already told the kids, immediate family and our closet friends. The rest of the world will find out when I'm showing---which looks like it will be sooner rather than later! I don't think I'll make it to 12-13 weeks...more like 9-10w before people start to notice. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#6 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 08:56 PM

We have told immediate family and some extended family. It's nice to see the responses on here to get an idea of when is "normal" to announce publicly. Maybe end of first trimester? This is #3 for us and I'm never sure when to "officially announce"!

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#7 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD knows, she always knows eveerythingggg! And I am sure she will share the news with the grandparents. With her we waited till 11 weeks. I go home to visit (we live in denmark now) In june and if she hasnt told by then i have lots of fun ideas on how to break the news at the airport :)

homescholing traveling mama of two ('08 and '12) expecting May 2015!
#8 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 01:35 AM

I'm hoping to wait to tell family until after my apt on June 8th. We'll wait to make it public a few more weeks after that. I just dont feel pregnant, zero symptoms whatsoever, so I want to wait until after we see a heartbeat to tell family.

Carolyn, married to M, momma to K (09/'09) and C (04/'12).
#9 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 07:11 AM

We've each told a few close friends but have not told our parents. He will be sharing the news when he visits with them in June and I will likely tell my parents around the same time. They will be very surprised, their youngest grandchild (my neice) is starting HS in the fall.

Mama to AJS - 22, CRS -17 and forever in my heart GHAB 8/5/11/(18 weeks) angel2.gif

#10 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 07:32 AM

Ideally I'd wait til after the first trimester, since we've had an early loss before.  In reality though, I go on light duty at work (I'm in law enforcement) right after my first midwife appointment.  So everyone at work knows...  So then I feel it's unfair for family not to know.  Basically, everyone ends up knowing really early.  I'd rather it was just my mom, my best friend, and my in-laws, but oh well.

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#11 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 AM

I have a serious patience problem, a LOT of people know already.  I waited about 15 minutes before I called dh at school and told him.  The told the kids the next day and then waited and excruciating 2 days to tell my family.  My IL's are out of town so we can't tell them until this weekend.  I haven't announce it at church, facebook or the gym (I'm a workout junky) so that is pretty big.  I think I will trrrryyyy to wait until 8 weeks.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#12 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 10:46 AM

We are horrible at keeping the secret. This is our third and I haven't even missed my period yet, but we've told our closest friends and some family. 

I'm fortunate to have had 2 healthy pregnancies before but both times we told friends and close family early, the people that I know I will turn to if something did happen to the pregnancy, the people that I feel need to understand what we're going through if there's a loss. I'm a social animal.

I will wait to out myself to the general population until after 1st trimester. 

As for keeping a secret from people who figure it out, don't worry about that, just don't mention it, let them guess, so what if they figure it out. You're under ZERO social obligation to tell anyone - including family - anything. If someone asks you directly, tell them directly if you want but tell them you aren't telling people yet ask kindly for their confidence. The idiots out there that don't get a woman's desire to keep this important secret can go to hell in my opinion.

EngineeringMama is an Active Duty military mom, wife to an Active Duty military dad, with two amazing little HypnoBabies (1&2) and a third bean-o on the way with a mid-January 2012 Guess Date.
#13 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 12:19 PM

We told after seeing the heartbeat wtih #1 at 7 weeks.  This time around, we saw the heartbeat and the baby measured 5 weeks.  I'm feeling it's too early and I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the concept because it was a total surprise to get a BFP.  However, m/s has arrived earlier this time around and I am dead tired.  I almost spilled the beans at work yesterday.  I need to tell my supervisor first.  I have zero creative ideas for telling the family.  I'm not ready to hear congratulations, although maybe that would make me feel better about the whole situation.  I've also been thinking about how to tell our 4 year old son who has been hearing us speak in code for over a week and I'm sure knows that something is up.  I have a feeling it will be sooner than later that we are telling.  I can't imagine waiting another month or two to tell. 

#14 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 01:05 PM

I am not sure what to do about telling people either.  I have told a couple of very close friends (that I would be confiding in and looking to for support if there was a problem anyway).  We are going to see my parents next week, as well as most of my family and a lot of my really good friends who don't live near us.  I am suspecting I will be at least a little sick, and I would rather have a fun announcement than a "hey why do you look so tired and green?" but I will only be 5 weeks.  With DS I told my parents at 5 weeks, but we waited til about 8 wks to tell my IL's.  I was so sick with DS right away that it was hard to hide from any other coworkers or friends in town so everyone knew around 6-7 weeks.  I am still hoping I won't be so sick this time.  I think I was pretty tired right away and a little nauseous between BFP and 5 weeks, but after that it really kicked in.  

I want to wait to tell DS as long as possible, but he's going to know something is up if other people know and it will be hard to keep everyone from slipping up.  hmmmm...

treehugger.gifAP mama to lovable, energetic DS born 4/9/08, expecting #2 mid Jan 2012, wife to German Professor, friend to many. namaste.gif

#15 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 02:34 PM

I told my best friends right away, and we told our mothers on mother's day (3 weeks along). I can't keep a secret. lol.gif We're telling FIL and the rest of that side of the family when we go out of town with them at the end of the month.

#16 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 09:49 PM

We've told a few people. However, as of right now I am perfectly fine not telling anyone and just letting them figure it out on their own.

#17 of 45 Old 05-12-2011, 03:38 AM

I told my best friend, and of course my DH (he was first) but I don't even want to tell anyone until I'm showing (that won't take long I'm sure).  Since I have given away every baby thing i have and made it very clear that we were "done" I am sure to get lots of snarky comments.  I'm not looking forward to that!!!!

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#18 of 45 Old 05-12-2011, 01:42 PM

I'm interested to know about telling the current child.  My DS has just turned 3.  He has not been asking for a little brother or sister.  Whenever we ask him if he wants one, he sort of says, no, maybe, yes, depending on when we ask and what we talk about (like how many fun things will come along with having a little sibling).  He knows about babies in bellies and such, but certainly not the whole deal!  

If anyone can share their experiences with that I would really appreciate it!

treehugger.gifAP mama to lovable, energetic DS born 4/9/08, expecting #2 mid Jan 2012, wife to German Professor, friend to many. namaste.gif

#19 of 45 Old 05-12-2011, 04:20 PM

We are trying to wait a few weeks at least, but both of us are terrible at keeping secrets, so I don't know how long it will last. We haven't even told the kids yet!

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#20 of 45 Old 05-12-2011, 07:04 PM

I told my best friend and my brother.  The kids don't know yet.

Fiancee and I aren't getting married for another couple of months, and even though we did try to get pregnant, we don't need people raising eyebrows early on. ;)

We just moved into our new home, and are planning to have a housewarming party sometime in July or August. We're planning on hanging a banner that says, "Happy Housewarming" or something to that effect, and then an hour into the party, slyly drop something from behind the banner that says, "And we got married when none of you were paying attention." And maybe an hour after that, drop another something from behind that says, "Oh, and by the way, we're also pregnant."  And then we'll see if people notice... ;)

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#21 of 45 Old 05-12-2011, 07:58 PM

Redbirdlady I LOOOVE that idea!

EngineeringMama is an Active Duty military mom, wife to an Active Duty military dad, with two amazing little HypnoBabies (1&2) and a third bean-o on the way with a mid-January 2012 Guess Date.
#22 of 45 Old 05-12-2011, 08:14 PM

We told my parents and two friends.  Apart from that, I have to keep it secret from facebook/ the general public as long as possible because I'll probably get instantly fired when my work finds out.  Since I'm technically an independent contractor I don't think I can do anything about it, but it sure seems like that should be illegal in all cases.

#23 of 45 Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 PM

Well, as expected, it's sooner than later that we are telling.  M/s took a turn for the worse yesterday, I'm planning on telling my supervisor tomorrow morning, then my staff so they know why I'm so miserable.  DH told my MIL today.  I called my sister.  Still not wanting to break the news as I'm not ready for "congratulations" and attention as this was an unexpected pg and we have only known for 2 weeks ourselves.

#24 of 45 Old 05-15-2011, 07:48 AM

We're waiting until 14 weeks to tell our immediate family and 20 to tell friends, extended family, and general public.  We'll see how it goes.  I may have to fess up if I start puking all the time, or if my bump appears obvious.  Thankfully(?) I still have a pooch from last pregnancy to hide a bump for a good while, I think.

#25 of 45 Old 05-15-2011, 08:09 AM

We have told our immediate family and I have told my best friend who im going away with this week., yoga teacher, my ayurvedic teacher and a classmate who also recently found out she is pregnnt.

Super early but I dont think I would not seek their support if something happened and i lost the baby.

For my first, I told all my friends and family right away because I was on  "party vacation" at 6 weeks in and didnt want to seem so strange that I wasnt partying. LOL

#26 of 45 Old 05-15-2011, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You're all stronger women then me to wait so long. :-P

I found out a few days before Mother's Day, so on Mother's Day I sent a video to all of the grandparents of DD (26 months) saying "I'm gonna be a big sister!" I mostly told them because I wanted to start blogging about it and I felt they needed to know first. I run a mildly popular blog called The Adventures of Lactating Girl and I'm doing a whole series on my natural pregnancy. Basically the choices I'm making and why. I also Tweet and that's connected to my Facebook, so everyone I know knows pretty much. Yeah, I'm only 5 weeks along and it would suck to have to untell everyone if I miscarried, but I also think I'd prefer to have the support rather than suffer in silence. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#27 of 45 Old 05-15-2011, 09:11 AM

This is a really complicated issue for me. In our community you typically keep it hush hush for the first trimester or until you start showing. However I work in science and therefore I need my boss and coworkers to take special precautions to keep certain dangerous things away from me (we've done this before when another coworker was present). I feel wrong telling work before family.

Luckily I am going on a three week vacation in 12 days. I should be about 9 wks when we get back which is when we will go for my visit to the Dr. to hear the heartbeat. So after that visit we will be telling our bosses and our parents. Everyone else will have to wait one more month or so. :)

I'm dying to tell all ready.

I also blog about budgeting and deal finding, so I would like to start featuring baby deals, but will wait until I tell my parents in case this tips anyone off.

Just your friendly neighborhood graduate student.
My BudgetBlog budgetandbargain.blogspot.com

#28 of 45 Old 05-16-2011, 02:55 PM

I found out while DH was away(he still is), so he was the first person I called. I also told my MIL (we're really close). Other than them, I have everyone I want to tell in two groups: The "We heard the heartbeat" group and the "15 weeks" group. My closest friends and a few family members are in the first group and the rest of my family and friends on Facebook are in the other :)

#29 of 45 Old 05-16-2011, 05:54 PM

Well since I'm only 3 weeks I have a long ways to go. My husband (and online people I don't know irl lol) are the only ones who know. It's so early and I get nervous in early pregnancy about the possibility of mc so I'm trying to wait until 8 weeks to tell close family/friends. Idk if DH can wait that long though, he doesn't see the need. Well maybe I will tell my mother a little sooner. Unfortunately my sil is coming up in a week and she is like a pregnancy psychic lol. She always guesses. Hopefully she won't though because then all DH's family will know cause she has a big mouth. She's only gonna be up here for 2 days, so that's good.

Other people can wait until someone spills or after 12 weeks.

#30 of 45 Old 05-17-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirdlady View Post

I told my best friend and my brother.  The kids don't know yet.

Fiancee and I aren't getting married for another couple of months, and even though we did try to get pregnant, we don't need people raising eyebrows early on. ;)

We just moved into our new home, and are planning to have a housewarming party sometime in July or August. We're planning on hanging a banner that says, "Happy Housewarming" or something to that effect, and then an hour into the party, slyly drop something from behind the banner that says, "And we got married when none of you were paying attention." And maybe an hour after that, drop another something from behind that says, "Oh, and by the way, we're also pregnant."  And then we'll see if people notice... ;)

This is waaaay cool and LOVE the idea!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page