Any other nursing mamas here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-10-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm still nursing dd at night and 5-7 times per day. Any others here? what r u doing to keep supply up? any feelings about this ?

familybed2.gif mama to dd energy.gifborn 8/08 and dd fly-by-nursing2.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg and one crazy dog2.gif oh and one loving dh dh_malesling.GIF

#2 of 21 Old 05-10-2011, 10:03 PM

Yep, me too!  I would love the support of some other pg and BFing mamas.  I am very worried about loosing supply as my 19mo still BFs on demand day and night and has never eaten solids incredibly well.  So far no issues at all (but I am only 11dpo).  I would love to know what is a safe way to keep your supply up.  I guess from what I've heard it just depends on your body and it's hard to know whether you will keep supply or not or get super-painful nipples or not. 

I need to order "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" actually. . .do you plan to tandem?  I really hope that DS doesn't wean due to my pg.  But I would love to nightwean. . .I'm not even sure how to co-sleep and BF two babies at night!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#3 of 21 Old 05-11-2011, 01:29 AM

Yup, I'm in the exact position. DD nurses on demand day and night, she's 20 months, and only in the last 6 weeks has she started to eat other food. She has never been interested in anything other than bm (read that as flat out refused / threw tantrums at the thought of eating food). But recently she's been doing pretty well, as in eating a tbsp of rice or pasta, a few grapes or strawberries, maybe a rice cracker.... 

We actually only just started talking about ttc, I was at the "nursing mamas ttc" board for a while, but I was in the "waiting to be ready" category. Dh was out of town when I thought I was O'ing, guess I O'd later.... ;)

SO Im feeling a little worried as well. I know she *can* eat food, (there was a time I was really beginning to wonder), but Im still worried and feeling a little guilty.

DD wont drink anything but water, we've tried everything, so even if I had a freezer stash of bm, I dont think she'd drink it.

I'm just hoping I'll be lucky and my supply will keep up and dd will embrace more food!

Carolyn, married to M, momma to K (09/'09) and C (04/'12).
#4 of 21 Old 05-11-2011, 10:50 AM

I'm still nursing 18 mo old DS.  He eats lots of solids and drinks cows milk and water, too, so I'm not really worried about his nutrition if he weans himself due to the preg.  But my plan has always been to nurse him til at least 24 months, which would be when I'm 7 months preg, so I'm hoping I'm able. 

My mom got preg after 6-10 months postpartum several times, and ended up losing her supply before she wanted to wean.  But my sister has not had that problem.  I had supply issues when DS was little, so I"m worried about it for myself, but I guess I can only wait and see.

I hadn't heard of that supplement.  I guess I'im inclined to not take anything and just let nature decide?  I dunno.

DS was nightweaned a long time ago, but he nurses 5-6 x a day at least.  Sometimes he asks for more and I distract him (like 15 min after the previous feeding!!).  Partly bc I'm sore when he nurses. 

I;m not sure if I really want to tandem nurse, but at the same time, I can't see DS choosing to wean before the baby comes.  He is very attached to the boob.  I should read the tandem nursing book and educate myself a bit more I guess.

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

#5 of 21 Old 05-11-2011, 11:50 AM

DS is almost 18 mo and nursing, too. I had never given much thought to tandem nursing, but I don't know if DS will wean. He's starting to consume more solids (he was slow to want to eat), and mainly just nurses before nap and at night. He will comfort nurse some if we are home, but if we are out and busy he can be pretty easily distracted. I think my supply has dipped a little, but thankfully he hasn't been too put off from it. I also haven't kept up with drinking water like I should or eating enough whole grains. I would like to make it to 2 yrs at least, and hopefully through most of the winter. I guess we will see how it goes. I never thought I would be pg and nursing.

aj- married to JA and mami to Bug (11/09) and Critter (1/12)!

#6 of 21 Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM

This will be my third time nursing through a pregnancy and I am currently nursing DS (21 months) several times a day and DD2 (3.5) once a day.  For five seconds lol.gif

My milk usually dries up just after the first trimester, but that hasn't deterred any of my kids from continuing to nurse.  Colostrum usually comes in about 24 weeks and then they are happy again.  

I tandemed my first pair for 4 months and hated it, and weaned DD1.  She nursed soooo much it was more than the baby!  The second time around it went much better, obviously, as I am still doing it.  I am sure that DD2 will wean completely before this baby is born, because she literally only nurses 5 seconds a day and can go days without it if she doesn't nap.  If DS wanted to wean I wouldn't be opposed as he will be 2 soon, but I am not expecting it since neither of my other kids lost interest even when I was pg.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#7 of 21 Old 05-11-2011, 02:28 PM

I'm nursing a 19 month old. She still nurses several times throughout the day, and to sleep. During my second pregnancy, my milk dried up a little over half-way through. But so far so good!

#8 of 21 Old 05-11-2011, 06:34 PM

I am nursing my 15m DS. He still nurses quite a bit and I am okay with that. I don't see him weaning because he is a very clingy baby and really enjoys nursing. I have had to cut him back at night some just because I need more sleep! He is a very tiny little fellow and has a hard time gaining weight so I am not ready to give up the nursing and going completely to solids. I am not sure if I will tandem nurse.

#9 of 21 Old 05-12-2011, 03:47 AM

I'm nursing my 22 month old.  I have nursed through all my pregnancies, ds2 quit right before dd was born, but that was the only nursing break i've gotten in 7 years!!  lol. 

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#10 of 21 Old 05-12-2011, 04:00 AM

I'm not pregnant but just wanted to pop in and say hi! I breastfed my son (who was 21 mos when I got PG) throughout my entire pregnancy and now tandem nurse. He will be three next week! It is SO worth it and I applaud all of you for being so committed. 

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

#11 of 21 Old 05-13-2011, 07:12 AM

Hi,

nursing my almost 15 mo about the same amount of times (about 4 times per night, 5-7 times per day) I've been considering adding fenugreek or something to my daily infusions...and for me personally nettle infusions always up my milk and are great for pregnancy! I couldn't find what was in that tincture...i'd personally go with an infusion over a tincture, then you know your body is being nourished with minerals etc. too and not just pushing it to produce...taking it one day at a time... not sure about the night nursing but for now it's fine! 5 weeks today...i think!

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#12 of 21 Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 AM

Nursing my 29 month old as well. She still nurses 4-5 times a night. We started working on night weaning a few weeks before i got pregnant, but nothing came of it. Now I am determined to night wean her soon because I am not getting any rest and i'm just an exhausted mama during the day. But i'm not planning on weaning her. Looking at tandem nursing, but we'll see how it goes.

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#13 of 21 Old 05-13-2011, 08:57 AM

I'm still nursing my daughter, who will be four in July.  stillheart.gif  She nurse 1-3 times a day.  I'm not too worried about supply because she is almost four and I feel that if she weans, she had a nice long run of mama milk.  But I'm curious to see what evolves; if she weans because of supply loss, keeps nursing even without milk, takes up nursing more, etc. 

Anyone with an older nursling?

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#14 of 21 Old 05-13-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingGemini View Post

I'm still nursing my daughter, who will be four in July.  stillheart.gif  She nurse 1-3 times a day.  I'm not too worried about supply because she is almost four and I feel that if she weans, she had a nice long run of mama milk.  But I'm curious to see what evolves; if she weans because of supply loss, keeps nursing even without milk, takes up nursing more, etc. 

Anyone with an older nursling?

I have one older one (3.5) and a younger one. The older one barely nurses though - once a day (before bed) or possibly twice if she naps, to a count of 5.  obviously she's not even really getting any milk in that amount of time, but she still wants to, so whatever :)  I don't really want to triandem nurse though, two at a time is enough for me!

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#15 of 21 Old 05-13-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

thorn- im interested also. My dd is 2 years 8 months, not as old as yours but still older i think....... 

we are in the same boat- but i feel like she still really "needs" it. 

familybed2.gif mama to dd energy.gifborn 8/08 and dd fly-by-nursing2.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg and one crazy dog2.gif oh and one loving dh dh_malesling.GIF

#16 of 21 Old 05-14-2011, 06:10 PM

Just wanted to say that I am nursing a 21 month old daughter. We night weaned her right before I found out I was pregnant. I was just SO tired and couldn't take it anymore. She still wakes up at night sometimes (ok, most nights) but only once. It had been 3 or 4 times a night and I have a very hard time falling back asleep when I wake up so I was tired all night long. I am open to tandem nursing but will be totally fine if DD weans herself before the baby comes! I am glad to know there are so many of you here who I can turn to for support if I need it! It is good to know we are not alone.

#17 of 21 Old 05-15-2011, 07:25 AM

My 22 month old really ramped up nursing seemingly since the moment we conceived.  She went from about 1-2 times during the day and 4-5 times at night to about 3-4 times during the day and INFINITE number of times at night.  wah...  We used to sleep DD, me, DP.  We've switched to DP, DD, me, in attempts to get her to get more attached to DP at night, so that she'll lay off the boob.  The first night, every time she rolled toward him and realized he was a person and not the wall, she would freak out and start crying.  So yeah, still nursing, but I guess I would like to move toward nightweaning sometime before #2 arrives (ideally before the third trimester).

#18 of 21 Old 05-15-2011, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

According to a La Leche League meeting I was at the other day, we are all currently tandem nursing. The second you have another in your belly, it counts. Not that it really matters, but interesting way to think about it. 

I have a 26 month old DD who still nurses probably 4+ times a day. She likes to nurse to nap, but mostly not to sleep. We night weaned a few months ago (mostly because I could tell she needed it because she was GROUCHY if she woke up a ton in the night) and she didn't even fight it. When I was going to school I woke up at 6:30, so I'd let her nurse when she came into our room at 6am. We've continued with that, but sadly she's not going back to sleep with it like she used to. She's also asking to nurse a ton more and she'd be happy to stay on for 45 minutes if I let her. She's never been that kind of nursling so I think my supply is decreasing. I'm happy to see that you can still take More Milk Plus though. I think I'll do that. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#19 of 21 Old 05-15-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Lactatingirl- just a note, its the "More milk two" not "more milk plus" that is safe to use while nursing/pregnant.

#20 of 21 Old 05-15-2011, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsybistyspider View Post

Lactatingirl- just a note, its the "More milk two" not "more milk plus" that is safe to use while nursing/pregnant.

Aww sad. I have some More Milk Plus sitting in my bathroom. Guess I'll have to run to the store. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#21 of 21 Old 05-15-2011, 11:10 AM

I'm currently nursing a 31 month old.  She has always LOVED nursing and would nurse nearly nonstop all day if I let her, which I did at first!  Because of this I don't think she would make a good tandem nurser.  We've cut back quite a bit on nursing (0 to 4x/day now) and I do plan on weaning before the baby is born.  My original goal was to nurse to a year and then see what happened, and it just kept happening.  I'll be satisfied with a 3-year run!

*Actually* weaning, on the other hand... well that will be a whole new thread in a few months I'm sure!

--Dana

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page