January 2012 ladies who took a bit longer to get pregnant - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 403 Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

HEY!  ANOTHER DUE DATE BUDDY HERE-MINE IS JANUARY 24 2012.

Yay!  Hi there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetest77 View Post

MommyM - so nice to have a due date buddy!  Do you have your first appt. scheduled yet?  Yesterday, I made an appt. with my RE for my first ultrasound on June 16... I will be almost 8 weeks by then so we should definitely be able to see the heartbeat.  Maybe I will believe I am pregnant once I see the heartbeat!

I haven't scheduled an appt. yet because we're planning a home birth and I have to interview midwives.  If it ends up taking longer than I thought, I'll go to an OB just to get the preliminary blood work done.  I'm having a very intervention-free low-tech pregnancy so I won't be getting any ultrasounds (unless absolutely needed) and we won't be finding out the gender.  I'm such a planner so that will be hard for me!  I'm glad you've got an appointment coming up!  KUP

Anna (29) & DH (30) partners.gif 6.2006 :: love.gif 2.2008 :: babygirl.gif 1.2012    I'm a proud hbac.gif mama!

#62 of 403 Old 05-24-2011, 02:34 PM

Emaya - I keep feeling like I need to qualify my baby statement with "if everything works out" too.  I wasn't like that with my first two but they were both conceived in our first cycle trying... I think the two years it took to achieve this pg has me very cautious!  I don't want to find out the baby's sex this time around (we did for the first two) but DH really wants to, so I may cave.  

Did you tell your DD right away that you were expecting a baby?  We keep going back and forth about when to tell our kids.  Right now only my best friend and mother know (besides DH of course)... we definitely want to tell DD before we tell the world!

Sweetbee - DH and I are always so apart on what we like for names... it's a big part of why we found out the sex for the first two, so we didn't have to come up with a name for each sex just in case.

So do you all share the name with everyone once you've picked it out.  We have always shared the sex but not the name...now I'm thinking it would be fun to decide on and share our names but not find out the sex.  

Me (42) DH (43), Catholic Mom to DD (11), DS (6), DS (1)

Expecting #4 in May 2014

#63 of 403 Old 05-24-2011, 03:21 PM

Hi again mamas!

I also have autoimmune thyroid disease, probably part of the reason for the delay in getting pregnant. I was looking at my blood tests from last pg, and it looks like my TSH was high (around 8) at my first blood test, but I don't remember talking about that at all. I wasn't diagnosed at the time, though I suspect this has been going on for a while, since my BBT has been low for my whole life (as a kid I remember feeling like I had a fever and my temp was "normal" and when I'd test normally it was always low).

I'm not on the paleo diet (though it sounds interesting, I should check it out - any books you'd recommend?), but I don't eat gluten b/c of the thyroid condition, and I try to minimize dairy. I definitely don't eat a lot of grains, though once in a while I do like to make gluten free baked stuff. Generally I try not to have that kind of thing around, though.

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#64 of 403 Old 05-24-2011, 03:24 PM

Sweetest, We were planning on keeping name and gender secret, but we did end up sharing the gender with a few close family members and friends (we were so excited and it made it feel more real to know the gender!), but mostly didn't because we didn't want to get gifts of gendered clothes and toys. We didn't share the name since we decided to wait until he was born to choose. This time, we might do the same thing, I'm not sure!

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#65 of 403 Old 05-24-2011, 05:26 PM

l'lee - I didn't have thyroid disease until after my second was born... My RE has already increased my synthroid and wants me to be followed by an endo throughout pregnancy (my family practice dr. had been managing my thyroid...)  I'm praying that my thyroid doesn't complicate my pregnancy like it did the conception!  

Oh, and I would recommend The Paleo Solution and Everyday Paleo for more info about the Paleo diet.

Expecting #4 in May 2014

#66 of 403 Old 05-24-2011, 06:51 PM

I'm kind of new to the paleo lifestyle, but I got the "Everyday Paleo" cookbook by Sarah Fragoso and I LOVE it!  It's super easy stuff and not weird meats like bison.  winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'lee View Post

I'm not on the paleo diet (though it sounds interesting, I should check it out - any books you'd recommend?), but I don't eat gluten b/c of the thyroid condition, and I try to minimize dairy. I definitely don't eat a lot of grains, though once in a while I do like to make gluten free baked stuff. Generally I try not to have that kind of thing around, though.

I told my DD a couple of days after.  I couldn't help it! 

Quote:

Did you tell your DD right away that you were expecting a baby?  We keep going back and forth about when to tell our kids.  Right now only my best friend and mother know (besides DH of course)... we definitely want to tell DD before we tell the world!

Anna (29) & DH (30) partners.gif 6.2006 :: love.gif 2.2008 :: babygirl.gif 1.2012    I'm a proud hbac.gif mama!

#67 of 403 Old 05-24-2011, 06:52 PM

I forgot... I have my first midwife interview on Thursday!  I'm SO EXCITED!!  joy.gif

#68 of 403 Old 05-25-2011, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyMatsumoto View Post

I forgot... I have my first midwife interview on Thursday!  I'm SO EXCITED!!  joy.gif

Yay!

5 days until my first appointment. Why does it seem like years away? I had a dream last night that I found big clots of blood on the toilet paper after wiping. I bled a few times last pregnancy. Luckily, everything was ok, but it's not something any pregnant woman wants to see. Thank goodness it was just a dream.

Mama to our little boy (3) babyf.gif , the amazing super squirmer, almost born in the taxi...

and our new baby girl stork-girl.gif, caught by her daddy in our bathtub!

#69 of 403 Old 05-25-2011, 02:49 AM

Hi All! Wow, the February DDC is up and running now. Makes us feel like old-timers now, no? I'm at six weeks today, not feeling anything close to being an old-timer, still holding my breath so to speak...

Sweetbee, sorry about your dream. It's hard not to read too much into dreams sometimes (thinking about my lost diamond dream from a few days ago), but I'm sure most of us who feel a bit of the jitters about this (because it took so long to get here, perhaps, or for those who have experienced pregnancy loss before) are bound to have some sort of stress dream as a result of our anxiety and not as a predictor of what's to come.

And no, I'm not getting boy vibes. Or maybe I am. I don't know. I think it would be awfully fun to have one of each. But since I'm so close to my sisters, it would also be awesome to give dd a sister.  I had major boy vibes last time, but she's definitely a very girly girl (despite being raised by a tomboy mom!). So I don't trust my intuition much...

Sweetest, I did tell DD right away, even after telling myself that I would wait until she asks about my big belly (nine months feels like a terribly long time to me, for a 2-year-old it really is an eternity). She took it as a given, though, no big deal; she was just very firm on the fact that she would have a little brother and that's that. Then she went to get a doll to put under her t-shirt so she could walk around pregnant too.

As far as the names go, we'll probably start to put together two big lists again in the third trimester, but I doubt that we'll share any of them. Possibly might try out a couple on my sisters.

Matsumoto - how exciting about your first interview! I hope she is perfect and you have a wonderful connection so you don't have to spend any time interviewing others. How did your dd react?

Contactmaya - what's the latest? :)

L'lee - I like your reasoning for not sharing gender - I'm not into gender socializing a child from birth, and it would be off-putting to be bombarded with a bunch of pink frilly stuff or only powder-blue tough boy stuff. I like pink. I like blue. I like purple, yellow and green. Until dd is old enough (soon!) to make some of her own aesthetic choices about what to wear, she'll wear a variety of girl and boy clothes. Nothing "sexy", no fatigues, skulls, or weapons printed on it. All else goes :)

(35) Teacher, mother to DD '08 + triplets (identical boys and a girl) born at 36 weeks gestation in ´11.  Passions: gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, wild food gathering, reading, kayaking and more.

#70 of 403 Old 05-25-2011, 08:29 AM

It sure does seem like time stands still when you first find out you're pregnant, doesn't it?  I hope these 5 days pass quickly!  I had a tiny bit of spotting with my DD when I was about 6 weeks pregnant, but my OB said it was from walking too much that day.  I am trying to rest a lot more in the early days this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet.Bee View Post

Quote:

Yay!

5 days until my first appointment. Why does it seem like years away? I had a dream last night that I found big clots of blood on the toilet paper after wiping. I bled a few times last pregnancy. Luckily, everything was ok, but it's not something any pregnant woman wants to see. Thank goodness it was just a dream.

Thank you!  I hope so too!  She is HIGHLY recommended by my hubby's boss (they're chiropractors) and she's been in practice for over 25 years.  For all of the research I've done the past couple of years, I've never actually met a real, live midwife.  I'm kind of giddy about it!  Yes, I'm weird.  LOL

My DD was just kind of matter of fact about finding out she was going to be a big sister.  She just asked, "So there's a baby in your tummy?"  I said yes, and then she said it was going to be a girl.  Maybe she is very intuitive about it or maybe she just thinks that because all of her friends have baby sisters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaya View Post

Matsumoto - how exciting about your first interview! I hope she is perfect and you have a wonderful connection so you don't have to spend any time interviewing others. How did your dd react?

#71 of 403 Old 05-25-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:

l'lee - I didn't have thyroid disease until after my second was born... My RE has already increased my synthroid and wants me to be followed by an endo throughout pregnancy (my family practice dr. had been managing my thyroid...)  I'm praying that my thyroid doesn't complicate my pregnancy like it did the conception!  

Oh, and I would recommend The Paleo Solution and Everyday Paleo for more info about the Paleo diet.

Thanks, I just added them to my library cue!

I wasn't diagnosed with thyroid disease during my first pregnancy, but I suspect it has been low for some time. I've also increased my medication and we're going to keep track of my TSH levels. Hopefully that will be enough to not have it make things trickier!

#72 of 403 Old 05-26-2011, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Speaking of finding out the sex, does anyone have predictions?

I'm guessing boy for us because the men in my husband's family have not produced a girl in 2 generations. orngtongue.gif Last time I was pregnant, I guessed girl but was wrong. I even called him "she/her" until we knew. Oops. He's a real boyish boy now, so it didn't seem to affect him, though. winky.gif

Mama to our little boy (3) babyf.gif , the amazing super squirmer, almost born in the taxi...

#73 of 403 Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 AM

My DD originally thought the baby was a girl and last night said it's a boy.  My DH thinks it's a boy.  I have no feelings on the subject whatsoever!  I wish I had even an inkling to work with, but I guess I'm just going to have to wait until I see the precious baby.  orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet.Bee View Post

Speaking of finding out the sex, does anyone have predictions?

#74 of 403 Old 05-26-2011, 11:25 AM

Matsumoto - that's funny that your dd has changed her story :) My dd hasn't shown too much interest yet besides announcing firmly "brother" that one time. I think it's just too hard for her to grasp at this point what with my belly being flat still. As far as I go, no feelings one way or the other here either. That's funny, Sweetbee, that you were wrong about it the first time too. At least you found out at the ultrasound. I pushed this baby out and spent the first few minutes worried about what WEIRD-looking boy stuff he had (her girl stuff was actually very swollen from my hormones, which is quite common, so she wasn't immediately recognizable as either or to me -- though it complicated things that I was so expecting a boy).

(35) Teacher, mother to DD '08 + triplets (identical boys and a girl) born at 36 weeks gestation in ´11.  Passions: gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, wild food gathering, reading, kayaking and more.

#75 of 403 Old 05-26-2011, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Hi everyone, no news here really. Just that i consider it a good sign when all i want to do is eat that popcorn when those popcorn icons pop up in mdc discussion forums. Gimme some of that pop corn!!!!

#76 of 403 Old 05-26-2011, 12:15 PM

Mmmm. Popcorn. 

#77 of 403 Old 05-26-2011, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

lurk.gif lurk.giflurk.gif

#78 of 403 Old 05-26-2011, 08:38 PM

You ladies are so funny!

In other news, I hired my midwife!  My first appt. is June 7th.  joy.gif

#79 of 403 Old 05-26-2011, 10:14 PM

That's great Matsumoto! How exciting to have someone you trust and appreciate guide you through the whole pregnancy and then help you give birth. Sounds wonderful. 

#80 of 403 Old 05-27-2011, 09:48 AM

MommyM - you must be so relieved to have found a midwife you like so quickly!  Now you can relax and enjoy this pregnancy :)

AFM - We decided to tell DD that there is a baby on the way.  She is thrilled... I just hope she can keep it a secret until we are ready to share with everyone.  My third Beta came in at 400, so my RE said everything looks good and that I can move over to an OB now.  I'm seeing the new OB on June 8th :)

Expecting #4 in May 2014

#81 of 403 Old 05-27-2011, 10:14 AM

Thanks, ladies!  I'm super excited!  This is all so new to me since I went the OB route last time.  I don't know what to expect, but I'm really happy to be on this journey that I've been waiting for for so long.  orngbiggrin.gif

#82 of 403 Old 05-29-2011, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Great news, MommyM! My first appointment is tomorrow morning.

So, I already have somewhat of a bump. The difference between last week's and this week's photos is quite noticeable, I think. Still in my normal clothes, though at this rate, I'm not sure how long that will last. The bump is definitely growing faster this time around.

#83 of 403 Old 05-29-2011, 07:09 AM

So excited about tomorrow, Sweetbee! We'll have to check in here and compare notes tomorrow afternoon :)

I don't have a bump. I check several times a day. Yes, the tummy is sticking out a bit, but that probably has to do with all the good food and the fact that I stopped running about a month ago (first I had a cold, and now I'm too tired). I remember the first time around that the bump started as a hard little hill just above my pubic bone. So far I don't feel anything there where my uterus is except the fact that it's tender (which makes me not want to feel too hard). Then I remember the bump getting bigger and moving up to where one would expect it to be (between belly button and pubic bone). Anyway, I wish the bump would start making an appearance!!! Who else has a bump? 

#84 of 403 Old 05-29-2011, 10:46 AM

I don't know if I have an actual bump yet or if I'm just getting fatter.  LOL  I couldn't get a pair of my capris on yesterday and was quite bummed about it because I think it's too early to be caused by the baby.  I'm so hungry lately and am trying to eat while I still can as I'm expecting the nausea to really kick in in the next week or so.  Maybe I should take belly pictures each week to see if I do have a bump.

Have fun at your appointments tomorrow, ladies!!

#85 of 403 Old 05-29-2011, 04:35 PM

I don't have a bump caused by my uterus, but I definitely have noticed an added fat layer on my belly! That was one of my earlier symptoms, and I remember that from last time when I weighed less, too.

#86 of 403 Old 05-29-2011, 04:41 PM

Sweetbee and Emaya - can't wait to hear how the appointments go for you both!

AFM - I'm so bloated that I think I look 4 months pg winky.gif ...I also have a solid little bump right above my pubic bone that I think is the start of a real baby belly!

Expecting #4 in May 2014

#87 of 403 Old 05-30-2011, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Happy Monday, everyone!

I just had my appointment a couple of hours ago, and we saw a nice, strong heartbeat! The baby is 1cm long and measuring right on schedule, about 7w1d. The yolk sac was funny to see; it looked almost as large as the baby. We also had a look at my ovaries, and it appears I ovulated from the left one, just as I thought. winky.gif

Any news from your appointment, Emaya? How is everyone feeling today?

#88 of 403 Old 05-30-2011, 05:38 AM

Oh Sweetbee, I'm so glad that it went well! Lucky you to get a to see the little one!

As for me, I didn't even get confirmation that I was pregnant, let alone getting to see anything. They took an iron and blood sugar test, my blood pressure, but other than that, it was just sort of a registration with my pregnancy midwife and a lot of information I already knew (apparently, drugs and alcohol are out now! Did anyone else know that?!). I had to pee in a cup, and I asked hopefully if they were doing a pregancy test with that, but no, they were just going to check sugar and egg white (what's that?).

I guess, despite the extreme exhaustion, lack of period, and positive pregnancy tests (I only took two and they both were very light at 11 and 12 dpo), I have a hard time believing I'm pregnant, and I just wanted an authority to say it's true, it's really truly so... No such luck today.

I asked what the statistics were for miscarriage after week 7, and she went into a long spiel about how she couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't have a mc. I was like, lady, that's not what I asked. If you don't know the statistics, no worries; and it's not like it helps anyway. I was just curious if my chances of mc were higher a week ago or higher a week from now. 

Needless to say, I wasn't so thrilled with my midwife, but she won't be the one who delivers the baby (the midwives here work either with pregnancy or with delivery, not both). I can deal with her, I suppose, over the next 8 months. Maybe I'll go and get a pregnancy test, just so I can remind myself what those two strong lines look like (when I tested with my daughter, I was probably already 6 or 7 weeks pregnant as I wasn't so sure when my period was due --  the hormonal fumes practically turned it positive before I had a chance to actually pee on the thing).

Now I'm a little deflated after all the excitement leading up to my appointment. That, paired with my extreme exhaustion (people keep asking me if I'm ok), make me want to take a day off of work tomorrow. But I don't think I will, I don't want my kids to have their last art class of the year with a substitute.

#89 of 403 Old 05-30-2011, 06:57 AM

sweetbee - so happy to hear good news, it must be such a huge relief to see the baby and heartbeat!

Emaya - sorry your appt. didn't go so well.  when is your next one.  I think you should do another hpt just for your own peace of mind :)

Expecting #4 in May 2014

#90 of 403 Old 05-30-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, Emaya, I'm sorry. What a letdown. They could have at least done a pregnancy test. Is your experience typical there? What happened during your last pregnancy? I hope your next appointment goes better.

sweetest, looking forward to good news from your appt in a few weeks. smile.gif

So, I thought it would be fun if we put up a list/bios of us all on the first post to keep track of one another. I'm about to add some questions there, if you'd like to play along. Any suggestions for additional questions are welcome.

Edit: I added the questions to the first post of the thread. Anyone who would like to be on the list, just post a message!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page