Anyone else considering a "low tech" pregnancy? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2011, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niladridasi View Post

I would like to do basically what you are doing, but what about the possibility of rh factor incompatibility? I think that's the only thing I'm a little worried about having, but not knowing I have if I don't get blood tests.

Do you not know your blood type already?

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ChicknLil View Post

Hi everyone! So, my husband and I are planning a UC (first baby), and to get him to agree to that I had to agree to one u/s. I didn't get the anomaly scan, just a quick 5 minute viewing to make sure placenta was in a good spot, and to check for any major problems. Otherwise, we're using a fetoscope to hear hb, but thats mostly for fun bc he is sooooooo active!! I'm 24 weeks now and have only had 3 prenatal check ups (hmo med-wife) and am planning to avoid the next one until 30 weeks. I'm going to refuse the glucose screening test, seems like an absurd test to me, just working out my arguments in case med-wife wants to give me a hard time. I will also be refusing any further u/s, doppler, bloodwork, and internal exams - unless there is an actual MEDICAL need for them. I'm also not going to submit to those absurd weekly appointments after I hit the 3rd trimester...i will probably go in again at 36 weeks and no more.

Any tips for refusing the GD test? Anyone out there who has?

Btw, we're having a boy, took me a couple days to absorb that information and now I am so so exited!!!

I have. I had mw's (do you have an ob or??) but even then they weren't too keen on me skipping it, sinc eI have a family history of actual diabetes. You can offer to doa  finger prick glucose test instead, much mroe accurate, the GD tests apparently have over 50% different results for the same woman the very next day. I did a lot of research and the only definite link if you are found to have GD is that you ahve a higher chance of having actual diabetes later in life. It usually means you needs to eat mroe whole grains, and good protein i want to write more but dd1 is freaking out here...gtg

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

HI, I HAD A HOMEBIRTH LAST TIME, BUT THIS TIME IM NOT SURE, SINCE I AM 44. NONETHELESS, IM PRETTY SURE I WONT BE DOING ALL OF THOSE TESTS.  I DONT REALLY SEE THE POINT. IF THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE BABY, THEN THAT IS GD'S WILL. I CANT FRANKLY, SEE MYSELF HAVING AN ABORTION IF THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG. THATS MY FEELING ABOUT IT NOW. 

Old 05-23-2011, 10:39 AM

I'll have a couple ultrasounds at least 2 ,one to date because my cycles were off. I have a genetic blood clotting disorder that can cause m/c and stillbirth. We have a history of m/c & stillbirth in the family. I would love to have a home birth but the chances of that are slim to none, most midwives won't touch me as a patient. We'll be living in Wilmington, NC when I give birth and I am not going to get my hopes up with that because usually it doesnt work out . I will have a natural vaginal hospital birth like with all the other kids as long as everything goes well.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 AM

We do the ultrasound, and I do the initial blood work to make sure my levels are good but that is it for testing. I only do the ultrasound that way if there is something visibly wrong we can prepare for it. Otherwise I dont do the GD test, triple, quad, what ever tests.I dont do internal exams and stuff. We do use a dopplar but I am urious about using a fetoscope this time around.

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
Old 05-23-2011, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was a month away from 40 years old and it would be my first baby. The hospitals nearest me would almost certainly have me be a scheduled c-section for "high risk" ( due to age alone-I have no true high risk factors.), and would definitely have insisted on every test (a co-worker of mine was 26 years old and in excellent shape and they pressured her to have an amniocentesis! ).

We were SOOOO lucky to find lay midwives in the next state who would work with us. I didn't want any of the usual tests (other than the glucose and protein pee tests-which our mw's did at every visit), as they are so often false positive and would've done nothing but increase my stress and anxiety. My midwives didn't even recommend doppler unless absolutely necessary during birth. I had had a miscarriage last February at 10 weeks, so when with this pregnancy in October I had bleeding at 14 weeks....I broke down and went to the ER for and ultrasound (I never told my midwives this!). The bleeding didn't last long and my mw's said everything was probably OK and we'd just have to wait and see....but I couldn't wait. I was so stressed out with worrying that we decided the risk of stress to our baby outweighed the risk of a quick u/s, so we went to the ER.

Everything was fine, and on the one hand I'd like it if we hadn't had any interventions at all...but I had to know...

Even after seeing the live fetus on the u/s I was tempted to buy a doppler so I could hear the heartbeat sooner and constantly reassure myself- but after doing some research and seeing that the doppler has higher radiation and heat than even an ultrasound I resisted. I bought a fetoscope online instead. We still couldn't hear a heartbeat til after 20 weeks- but it came in handy to calm my nerves when I'd feel like the baby wasn't as active as he should've been.

On the one hand, being such a nervous first time mom and having had the previous miscarriage, I would have kinda liked the reassurance of regular ultrasounds...but I felt strongly that they weren't the best for baby, and (in the hospitals available to me, anyway) you don't get to pick just those as part of your pre-natal care with a hospital birth- I'd have been pressured into the full nerve-wracking and largely un-necessary gamut of tests and other interventions like induction and c-section (mine was a long labor).

I ended up having an unmedicated home-birth and my healthy 7.3 lb. son was born March 25th this year. I won't be having any more, but if I was younger I would definitely do so and go the same route! From a combination of research and personal observation- I believe most of the testing and/or interventions are encouraged not for your or your baby's benefit, but rather to protect the hospital from possible litigation. If you are basically healthy and have no real risk factors (for example if you were diabetic or had some other chronic illness or a family history of birth defects) I really don't think the extra tests are useful.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post

Do you not know your blood type already?

no i don't know my blood type. I've stayed away from doctors for years.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:11 PM

if you at least find out your blood type you will know if you need to be concerned with RH incompatibility.  Actually, does the father know HIS blood type?  the possibility of incompatibility only exists if you are negative and he is positive.  If he is RH- then it doesn't matter what you are.

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

Old 05-23-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:

no i don't know my blood type. I've stayed away from doctors for years.

Have you ever donated blood?  If so the blood bank will have your blood type on file.

Meghan~~ Mommy to 4 kiddos with feet and one with a halo.  ribbonpb.gif Our rainbow1284.gif is due January 2012~
Old 05-24-2011, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I fall somewhere in the middle.  I generally do the bloodwork, I don't mind 1 ultrasound, and will do the 1 hr GD test.  Oh, and pee sticks for protein and sugars in the urine.  Other than that, not much to do but gestate.  When at home, I live in a rural area though and am very limited in birthing options.  It is the hospital or my bath tub.  DH is not comfortable with a homebirth and I have had 3 lovely, unmedicated hospital deliveries.  So, I am very comfortable delivering in a hospital.  But then I am very comfortable telling an OB to kindly shove it when they come at me with plans for inductions and amniocentesis.  

And I would be tempted to refuse the GD test, but my mom is diabetic and I will be 38 with this baby.  So, a good idea for me to keep an eye on my blood sugar.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 AM

I thought the "penta" or more commonly called Quad screen only has a 5% false positive rate?   If that is too high, try integrated first trimester screen for 2% FPR.  Did you pass midwifery school?

Old 05-24-2011, 10:18 AM

There's no such thing as a positive on a screening test, they just give you odds ratios. So while it might give you a very high odds ratio (say, 1:10 chance of an abnormality) there would still be a 9:10 chance that the baby did NOT have that abnormality.  Some might consider that a "false positive" but it is not a diagnostic test.  There is also the opposite, the test could say your baby only has a 1:10,000 chance of an abnormality, and your child could still have that abnormality.

The screening tests are meant to help you make a decision about whether or not to pursue diagnostic testing such as CVS or amnio.  If you know that you would not ever do those tests, there is no point in doing the screening.  Other people want the diagnostic test right from the beginning and don't even do the screening first.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:30 AM

BTW, APOLOGIES FOR MY CAPS, WHICH MAKE THIS HARDER TO READ. MY KEYBOARD IS BROKEN. I PROMISE YOU, I AM NOT TRYING TO SHOUT. :-)

MY PROBLEM WITH THE QUAD SCREEN IS PRECISELY THIS-THAT ITS A RISK FACTOR, AND THEY CALCULATE THIS  USING YOUR AGE. SO GUESS WHAT, THE HIGHER YOUR AGE, THE HIGHER YOUR RISK, REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY FIND IN THE ACTUAL TEST.

I WOULD NOT RISK A MISCARRIAGE BY DOING AN AMNIO EITHER. SO THOSE TESTS ARE OUT FOR ME. 

AS FOR THE 20WEEK ULTRASOUND, I ADMIT TO MY  IGNORANCE ON THIS. THE ONLY THING I KNOW IS THEY CAN  SCREEN OUT 80%  PROBABILITY OF DOWN SYNDROME,  BUT NOT A 100%.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS THIS- CAN THE 20 WEEK ULTRASOUND  REVEAL FETAL PROBLEMS THAT COULD BE HELPED WITH SOME KIND OF PRENATAL OR POST NATAL INTERVENTION? IF SO, WHAT CONDITIONS CAN IT DETECT, AND HOW CAN INTERVENTIONS HELP?  I WOULD CERTAINLY DO THIS OR ANY OTHER TEST IF  IT REVEALED THIS INFORMATION.

(SOMEONE MENTIONED  SOMETHING  ABOUT A HEART DEFECT BEING DIAGNOSABLE.  HEART DEFECTS ARE OFTEN ASSOCAITED WITH DOWNS I THINK)

Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 AM

The 20 week scan can see the heart.  Ihave had to have two of my babies re-scanned because at the first 20 week scan they didn't get a good image of the heart.  My father's sister died at 6 months because of a congentital heart defect, so we like to make sure the heart is good early on, not that we would terminate but so that if there is a problem we can adress it quickly at birth.

You can also see the kidneys (is that the right way to pluralize kidney?) which will sometimes require some type of action too.

When I get my scan I will also be asking for them to measure the umbilical cord.  With my last birth he had a very thin cord where it inserted into his belly.  I would like to be able to rule this out, or know to prepare for the wost if this baby too has a lean cord :/

Meghan~~ Mommy to 4 kiddos with feet and one with a halo.  ribbonpb.gif Our rainbow1284.gif is due January 2012~
Old 05-24-2011, 10:40 AM

Yes, it can diagnose things like neural tube defects (spina bifida) which in some cases can even be corrected with in-utero surgery.  Also things like gastroschisis (when there is a hole in the skin allowing the intestines to be outside the baby's body) or heart or other defects that may require immediate surgery postpartum.  It also lets you know where your placenta is and if there are any problems related to the placenta/cord that might need to be followed or indicate a change in birth plans.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:25 PM

Thankyou. that is very helpful information. I wonder if any of those conditions are associated with advanced maternal age (im 44)

Also, i wonder if you can rule out spina bifida if you have been taking your prenatals. i havent stopped taking mine since 2004, since i conceived ds1, and since then, i have used them as prenatal and breastfeeding support.

Umbilical cord considerations. wow, thats an important point. ds2 was a homebirth, but the midwife couldnt understand why he was turning the wrong way when crowning. apparently he had gotten himself wrapped  the wrong way in his umbilical cord and had to untwist himself.  this midwife had 30years experience.

ok, im convinced, ill be getting the 20 week ultrasound. but i definitely want to research details so i know what to ask them to look for in addition to the usual.

ps. im pretty sure the plural of kidney is kidneys

pps. thankyou Thorn for helping me resolve the issue of my perpetual capitals!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

pps. thankyou Thorn for helping me resolve the issue of my perpetual capitals!!!

you're welcome, glad I could help!

Old 05-24-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~*SewHappyNow*~* View Post

I don't plan to do anything, except pee on the sticks my midwife has me do to test for sugar and protein.  Perhaps a doppler a few times.  That is it.  I won't even do the glucose test, which I didn't do last time either. 

In Florida, it is basically illegal for certified midwives and doctors to accept an pregnant woman if she refuses bloodwork. How did you find your midwife where you are?

Old 05-24-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulawoman View Post

I have. I had mw's (do you have an ob or??) but even then they weren't too keen on me skipping it, sinc eI have a family history of actual diabetes. You can offer to doa  finger prick glucose test instead, much mroe accurate, the GD tests apparently have over 50% different results for the same woman the very next day. I did a lot of research and the only definite link if you are found to have GD is that you ahve a higher chance of having actual diabetes later in life. It usually means you needs to eat mroe whole grains, and good protein i want to write more but dd1 is freaking out here...gtg

Thanks honey, that's a good point about the blood test. Im going to flay refuse the while thing though...not a single risk factor and given the GTT rate if false positives, I'm not comfortable putting myself in its hands smile.gif. Such a ridiculous test. I ready just feel like these prenatal visits are so intrusive, I feel great, I know this baby is fine, the only anxiety I ever have is around going into those appointments. I'm gearing up to refuse internal exams, gbs testing, and pretty much anything else they throw at me (medical model hospital midwife). Im going unassisted for this birth, and I might end up going unassisted for the remainder of this pregnancy.

Xoxo

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

Old 05-24-2011, 08:36 PM

I am, thus far, kidless (excluding my darling pets... little different though lips.gif), but I hope to one day have a homebirth with a midwife and a doula (and my power-women circle). I am a student MW, so I spend a lot of time (mayyybe a lil too much time) looking into & researching this stuff. I have heard so many sides to the "birth intervention debate" (I continue to learn more about it every day!). I think that one must simply consider the opportunity cost of each step in managing their pregnancy, given their unique personal factors (social, emotional, physical, spiritual). Meaning, if someone is at a legitimately higher risk in during pregnancy for whatever reason, they must decide whether or not the risks of specific intervention(s) outweigh the benefits. There are also many "routine protocol" interventions that are very questionable (and coincidentally, slow-trickle lucrative) in more medicalized settings, so it takes a fair amount of know-how on the mother's part to discern what's necessary and what's being "pushed". In any case, us westerners are at a point where medicine and holistic practice is not as uncommon as it was mid-20th century. I personally feel that this is the beauty of consciousness-driven modern homeopathy and medicine. Empowering and practical. rainbow1284.gif

I really like what doulawoman said about wishing she had trusted her body more. It is so friggin hard to let go and release, to surrender to the moment. Some of us adults forgot how to do that long ago. But for the little ones coming into the world... it's all they know how to do. To me, surrender to "what is" is one the hardest life struggles and simultaneously the gateway to empowerment/enlightenment. 

Mother-to-be and full-time dreamer. Love to snuggle my stillheart.gifDH stillheart.gif, and my pup and kitties! hearts.gif

rainbow1284.gif "Embrace this moment, remember we are eternal beings, all pain is an illusion." rainbow1284.gif

Old 05-26-2011, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

This statement is not true.  Any mother in Florida can sign an informed consent waiver if they choose not to receive specific testing or procedures during their pregnancy.  It is then up to the midwife (or OB) to choose whether or not to continue caring for the mother.

Quote:

In Florida, it is basically illegal for certified midwives and doctors to accept an pregnant woman if she refuses bloodwork. How did you find your midwife where you are?

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
Old 05-26-2011, 05:07 PM

In the state that I am currently living in, the test is now called the Penta Screen (previously Quad, previously Triple).

As thorn clarified above, the Penta Screen is not a diagnostic test, so saying it has a high false positive rate is not technically correct.  However, to save time and to help explain to the mama who asked, I said it has a high false positive rate because results of this test often indicate the risk of disorders that do not exist--causing needless worry and anxiety in mothers and families and further testing which can be very risky and invasive (such as amnio).  In my opinion (and semantics aside), that is the layperson's definition of a high false positive rate.

Asking me if I "passed" midwifery school is quite rude and frankly none of your business.  Peace and blessings to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss70 View Post

I thought the "penta" or more commonly called Quad screen only has a 5% false positive rate?   If that is too high, try integrated first trimester screen for 2% FPR.  Did you pass midwifery school?

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
Old 05-27-2011, 02:51 PM

Old 05-27-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombjuice View Post

This statement is not true.  Any mother in Florida can sign an informed consent waiver if they choose not to receive specific testing or procedures during their pregnancy.  It is then up to the midwife (or OB) to choose whether or not to continue caring for the mother.

t

All right, it may not technically be illegal. I did say "basically illegal". The midwives I talked to said they wouldn't care for a mother who refused blood work because of legal issues. That new upset me very much when I heard it so I may have not used the perfect words in my previous post to say what I was trying to say.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:32 PM

I'm sorry that that happened to you!  I have worked at birth centers where the midwives wouldn't care for mamas who refused all testing...but they always referred her to another midwife who was okay with it.  Were you able to find another midwife?

Quote:

All right, it may not technically be illegal. I did say "basically illegal". The midwives I talked to said they wouldn't care for a mother who refused blood work because of legal issues. That new upset me very much when I heard it so I may have not used the perfect words in my previous post to say what I was trying to say.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I plan on being as low tech as possible. I will be getting some blood work done, mostly vitamin levels that I struggle with keeping up to be sure they stay good. That is about it though. I am planning to try to avoid doppler and/or ultrasounds unless something comes up that justifies the use. I am planning on having a homebirth. I just like to keep everything pretty low key.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 PM

In PA lay midwifery is sort of underground.  They usually work with the Amish communities.  I found my midwife through a recommendation here at MDC back in 2004.  I don't think its "illegal" to refuse bloodwork here.  The CNM who delivered my first baby knows and respects my midwife and their practice will take orders from my lay midwife for bloodwork, U/S, etc.. 

Quote:

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
Old 05-30-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~*SewHappyNow*~* View Post

In PA lay midwifery is sort of underground.  They usually work with the Amish communities.  I found my midwife through a recommendation here at MDC back in 2004.  I don't think its "illegal" to refuse bloodwork here.  The CNM who delivered my first baby knows and respects my midwife and their practice will take orders from my lay midwife for bloodwork, U/S, etc.. 

Do you mind my asking where in PA you are? I'm in eastern PA and would love to chat with somebody who knows of good midwives in the area.

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

Old 06-01-2011, 04:54 PM

We're in western PA, so that might not help you.  MANA is a good place to look.  My midwives are listed there, they are both very active in MANA.   http://www.mothersnaturally.org/midwives/findAMidwife.php 

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
Old 06-03-2011, 09:44 PM

I'll read the other replies in a minute. i just wanted to say I go super low tech, for the most part. My last 2 were UBAC's. The only testing I had done was 1 ultrasound. I'll probably have one again this time, since I'm old & this was an unplanned pregnancy, but that's the only thing I'm planning on for testing.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

User Tag List