Anyone else considering a "low tech" pregnancy? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 102 Old 06-04-2011, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been lurking on this thread for a coupe of weeks.  I'm 8w2d with my first and I'm planning a very low-tech pregnancy with a home birth (no u/s or doppler or testing unless absolutely necessary).  A huge part of me knows that this is what's best for the baby, and I am putting my trust in Nature, but there's a tiny part of me that would love to hear the hb.  How do I convince this little part of me to listen to the rational "me"?  I keep telling myself that it's not about me; it's about what's best for the baby...  *sigh* 

Wife to a Mad Scientist and SAHM to my giant toddler boy, born 1/20/12  
#62 of 102 Old 06-04-2011, 09:33 AM

If you want to hear the HB and still go low tech, use a fetoscope.  It won't hurt the baby at all.

Meghan~~ Mommy to 4 kiddos with feet and one with a halo.  ribbonpb.gif Our rainbow1284.gif is due January 2012~
#63 of 102 Old 06-04-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablepearl View Post

If you want to hear the HB and still go low tech, use a fetoscope.  It won't hurt the baby at all.

I've heard of them, but don't they only work towards the end of the pregnancy?

#64 of 102 Old 06-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

I've heard of them, but don't they only work towards the end of the pregnancy?

According to my MW you should be able to hear the heartbeat at about 10 1/2 weeks. I have one at home and have been trying periodically (OK, I'll admit it, mostly every day - LOL!) but I haven't heard anything yet, and I'm at 9 wks today.

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#65 of 102 Old 06-05-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'lee View Post

According to my MW you should be able to hear the heartbeat at about 10 1/2 weeks. I have one at home and have been trying periodically (OK, I'll admit it, mostly every day - LOL!) but I haven't heard anything yet, and I'm at 9 wks today.

OMG, thank you for that info!!!  I am so excited to know that!!!  You made my week. :)

#66 of 102 Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 AM

My MW used a fetoscope early on, too, but I can't remember exactly when, but I do remember it was when there was barely any bump still :)

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#67 of 102 Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 AM

I'm planning a low tech pg. I'm not even for sure when I'm due, but I think we'll be doing some guessing on my due date. With my last pg I had two appointments at the drs to have a back up so the doppler was used then. Otherwise my midwife used the fetoscope. I didn't have any ultrasounds and didn't test for strep b. I did my own GD testing with my MIL's tester. Then I did have blood work to check for 2 things, but I can't remember what. My midwife didn't even do any vaginal checks last time.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#68 of 102 Old 06-07-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombjuice View Post

I'm sorry that that happened to you!  I have worked at birth centers where the midwives wouldn't care for mamas who refused all testing...but they always referred her to another midwife who was okay with it.  Were you able to find another midwife?

No  I haven't found one.

#69 of 102 Old 06-07-2011, 10:49 AM

DDCC

I am due in <1 week and have not had any interventions save when I went to the Dr. when first PG, peed in a cup and had bloodwork done. My MW also has me do pee strips at every appt. So no ultrasound, doppler, or any other testing besides glucose/protein from pee. Though I was anxious in early pregnancy my faith in my body and my midwife's strong anti-intervention approach (there for a reason after 1000+ births and 30 years as a lay MW), as well as my own research, has made me completely comfortable and confident in my decision. This is a personal decision for all women and I have no right to say what other women "should" do. In fact one of the best things you can do for your birth and your baby is to be as confident and stress free as possible, and if that means tests for you then that's up to you!

Plus all that being said, I strongly believe that some aspects of the medical system are indispensable. For example after my home birth, if my baby is having trouble breathing, I'm not going to sit at home hoping it will go away. Likewise, we found out our blood types in case of incompatibility. And good thing we did too as I am RH- and he is +. I didn't do the standard Rhogam shot at 28 weeks but would have if I had experienced some trauma. We will heel prick the babe and if he/she is RH+ I will go and get the shot to protect future pregnancies. 

Anyway this post is a little all over the place but just want to say we may all do things a little differently but think we need to remember that we are all after the same thing - healthy and happy mamas and babies. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'lee View Post

We were not able to hear a heartbeat with the fetoscope until around 20 weeks I think, right around the time I first felt kicks! I would have loved to have heard it sooner. Now of course we hear it booming all over my belly :) Something helpful my midwife said when going the low intervention route that I've said on these boards before: as long as your belly is growing, your baby is growing!

#70 of 102 Old 06-10-2011, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Well, ladies, OP here and I've had my first ever early ultrasound. I had my HCG levels checked too due to spotting and mw concern bt thenshe felt they were crazy high, though still normal and was worried about a molar pregnancy or twins. Between that and the spotting and cramping I was freaked and agreed to the u/s. Relieved to find one baby with a heartbeat. I think at this point I may use a doppler till we can use the fetoscope. even that will be odd for this community. My mw's are new graduates and I think *part* of how early you can hear a hb with the fetoscope has to do with their experience level. mine are so dependent on dopplers and barely ever get to use fetoscopes. Even at 28 weeks (with dd) they had trouble hearing it, also think my placenta was in the front too... I still plan to follow this thread. I think even with mw's it's a bit tricky here in BC with the mw's being part of the medical system and paid for by provincial health insurance (although we pay that, how is that free canadian health care??? we pay for our reg doc visits, mw visits and covers part of some dentistry, but ambulances and anything extra not childbith related comes out of pocket or from dh's health plan at work which he also pays for!)

anyway, I plan to follow this as much as possible still.

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#71 of 102 Old 06-11-2011, 02:23 PM

doulawoman, Glad you're feeling better about things! I think you will probably still be cautious about interventions which is the main focus of low intervention - I would consider an early US too if it seemed like there may be a problem! It is so comforting to see the USs and the heartbeat.

LLtheTinkerbell, Thanks for the info about your experience! I'll try not to feel bad if I still can't hear the heartbeat next week. I'm really looking forward to hearing it (and feeling kicking!) though!

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#72 of 102 Old 06-11-2011, 05:49 PM

I am having my fifth baby and would really like a uc.  I have some awesome midwives on the road system, but that would mean toting all my kiddos with me and staying in a hotel for atleast a week beforehand.  We did this the last time around and everyone got pinkeye and the stomach flu and my kids were miserable.  I don't have family or friends around to help that don't work or could fly from far away- nor would I want that- lots of stress there.  Our town has a hospital that is pretty low key and natural- but to get into an appointment is almost impossible considering my husband's schedule and the rediculous wait time at the hospital- hours you wait for one appointment.  The ER is good for actual emergencies.   So, I am going the diy way for awhile unless I feel otherwise necessary.  I would love to deliver at home with a midwife that I trust- but alas, no such thing out here.  I have some other options with friends who are open minded who can help me if I absolutely need it during the time.  So, we'll see.  I'm not worried about tests during pregnancy (I can take my blood pressure, pee on sticks, fundal measurements, and fetascope heartbeat.) mostly thinking about the birth itself. 

Mother to Obadiah, Ira, fencing.gifEva, dust.gifand Ailsa babyf.gif, wife of wonderful state trooper in Alaskacold.gifhomeschool.gifwinner.jpgteapot2.GIFdog2.gifdog2.gifcat.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgpraying.gif
#73 of 102 Old 06-12-2011, 11:58 PM

Fetoscopes are generally not useful until after 17/18 weeks. I've never heard of anyone being able to hear anything earlier than that with one. Even doppler is usually 12 weeks until you can hear something.

My fetoscope went missing shortly after we moved. I really don't want to buy another, so I guess I'm going hunting as soon as I have the energy.....

Dh was reading over my shoulder and thinks he's seen it in the last couple weeks, so hopefully it's not too far away.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#74 of 102 Old 06-13-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:

Something helpful my midwife said when going the low intervention route that I've said on these boards before: as long as your belly is growing, your baby is growing!

Thank you so much for saying that!  My belly's definitely expanding and what you wrote helped me to breathe a little easier.  This "low intervention" route is a lot tougher than I thought (but so worth it for the baby and the mom, I know!).  :)

#75 of 102 Old 06-19-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'lee View Post

OK, I was wrong... I had a MW appt on Thurs and it turns out she meant the doppler (I thought you could hear a HB on the doppler before that?) She said you can't usually hear the HB on the fetoscope until about 18 weeks, or maybe slightly before that if you have a very lean belly.

#76 of 102 Old 06-19-2011, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Dopplers depend on so many factors from size of the mom (how much belly fat, how deep her pelvis is, shape of pelvis, etc), how high her uterus is, how powerful the probe is, etc. So, usually you can pick up the fhr for the first time somewhere between 8-11 weeks.

Fetoscopes can pick up as early as 18 weeks, but become easier to use the later someone is. I have heard that with a Leff style fetoscope, one can pick up FHT as early as 17 weeks, but I have never used one, so I don't know from experience. I want to get one because they can be used under water.... it is on my wish list :)

jessica_lizette likes this.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#77 of 102 Old 09-30-2011, 02:22 PM

I just wanted to resurrect this old thread because... WE FINALLY HEARD THE HEARTBEAT TODAY!! joy.gif We waited 25 looooong weeks, and today we heard our little one's magical tic-toc, tic-toc. I'm in heaven, I don't think my feet have hit the ground yet (and of course I cried when I heard it). Sheepish.gif DH heard it too, it was so great to have him there! Just wanted to share because I know you low-tech mommas understand what this means...
wombjuice likes this.

#78 of 102 Old 09-30-2011, 03:25 PM

Yay! Awesome news.

Dh still hasn't heard ours, but he has messed up ears & supposedly has never heard any of the kids, even at full term. And this is why I don't check for the heartbeat during labour...I'm too distracted & dh has decided he can't hear it. lol

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#79 of 102 Old 10-03-2011, 12:56 PM

Hooray montesorrimama!!! joy.gif  SO happy for you!  My MW appointment is coming up, I'll be 25 weeks then and am CERTAIN we will hear it this time!  But I have to ask, what was the HB?  More signs pointing to a little girl?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#80 of 102 Old 10-04-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

Hooray montesorrimama!!! joy.gif  SO happy for you!  My MW appointment is coming up, I'll be 25 weeks then and am CERTAIN we will hear it this time!  But I have to ask, what was the HB?  More signs pointing to a little girl?

Oh, I am soooo excited for you!!  My mw said that by 25 weeks it was 99% certain to hear the hb.  Although truth be told, I had to try three times to hear it.  You have to get really quiet and go beyond the bumps and shuffles you'll hear at first.

Honestly, I was so overwhelmed when I heard the hb that I forgot to ask what the rate was!  I'll email my mw to see what she picked up. 

BEST OF LUCK!!! 

#81 of 102 Old 10-04-2011, 09:38 PM

Here's what I got from my midwife:

We always determine FHR (fetal heart rate) although it's irrelevant in reference to gender. I know there are many myths surrounding heart rate and gender. The heart rate changes depending on age of fetus, whether baby is awake or asleep, and it elevates after baby is palpated. If baby is palpated longer, heart rate can elevate higher and longer. When baby is at rest, heartrate can be lower. With using a fetoscope, we must first palpate baby which automatically elevates hR. And then besides that, there is no scientific basis of correlation of gender to HR. Interestingly, over the years, depending on the culture or belief system involved, I've heard the persons say a higher hR equals a boy.... or a girl. I know this may not matter since it's so fun during pregnancy, so you may still want to track it. I'm not at the office to read it at the moment, though if you want to know it, you can ask next time we have an appt. :)

So there ya have it... It could be a boy... or a girl. :)  I'm still thinking girl, though.  Oh!  My linea nigra now extends all the way from top to bottom of my belly, which I've read is associated with girl... One more sign pointing to GIRL!  ARGH, the wait is killing me!!

#82 of 102 Old 10-05-2011, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

While there is no science as far as the heart rate goes and gender, it still is a fun one :) Most of my clients will ask what the heart rate was and make guesses as to boy or girl.... it passes the time ;)

My baby has a super speedy heart rate and I have been feeling that the baby is a girl, but I wouldn't be shocked it a little man popped out in January either. It is fun to just guess and wonder and dream :)

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#83 of 102 Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 PM

We are definitely on the low-tech side. 27 weeks now, and no ultrasounds, no amnio, no GTT, etc. Basically, I monitor my blood sugar already with a home glucometer, so GTT is radically unnecessary and probably dangerous (I am not on insulin, and that much sugar would send my glucose levels through the roof!). Studies show that there is no difference in outcomes with ultrasounds vs. without them, so we figure that's a waste of money, and we like the mystery of not knowing the gender. Amnio and other such tests... there is no way we would abort if there was a problem, so why bother when it wouldn't change our plans? We are slated for a single ultrasound late in pregnancy, but that's only because our doctor requires it to cover her rear if anything goes wrong.

#84 of 102 Old 10-08-2011, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aunteater View Post

We are definitely on the low-tech side. 27 weeks now, and no ultrasounds, no amnio, no GTT, etc. Basically, I monitor my blood sugar already with a home glucometer, so GTT is radically unnecessary and probably dangerous (I am not on insulin, and that much sugar would send my glucose levels through the roof!). Studies show that there is no difference in outcomes with ultrasounds vs. without them, so we figure that's a waste of money, and we like the mystery of not knowing the gender. Amnio and other such tests... there is no way we would abort if there was a problem, so why bother when it wouldn't change our plans? We are slated for a single ultrasound late in pregnancy, but that's only because our doctor requires it to cover her rear if anything goes wrong.

My midwife does a glucose test that's a blood test. She said it gives numbers for the last three months, which is obviously better for determining glucose intolerance. I actually read something saying that it's possibly harmful to do the traditional GTT. I was ready to just say no, but then she said she doesn't do that anyway. She also likes to test for anemia in the same blood test and this is when she'd normally do stuff like blood type, but since this is my second and with the same partner, there's no reason to do any of that again.

I also read that knowing any sort of problems that would show up on an ultrasound can often be detrimental to the baby. It affects bonding, which is a big deal for babies with disabilities being able to survive. Ultrasounds are also notoriously bad in false negatives and sometimes false positives. It kills me that technology that was made for submarines and has gone through virtually no testing for safety on humans is being used on the most delicate time in a human's life for such mundane things as knowing the baby's sex.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#85 of 102 Old 10-09-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post

Quote:

I also read that knowing any sort of problems that would show up on an ultrasound can often be detrimental to the baby. It affects bonding, which is a big deal for babies with disabilities being able to survive. Ultrasounds are also notoriously bad in false negatives and sometimes false positives. It kills me that technology that was made for submarines and has gone through virtually no testing for safety on humans is being used on the most delicate time in a human's life for such mundane things as knowing the baby's sex.

thumb.gif  truedat.gif   I wrote a post on my blog about why we chose not to use u/s unless medically necessary, and one person commented that she knew of someone (not even IRL, just another blogger) whose baby had a heart defect that was detected by an u/s and had life-saving operations after birth.  So now we're supposed to subject every single fetus to harmful and potentially deadly u/s radiation in the off chance that one child is correctly diagnosed (and heavens knows how many are incorrectly diagnosed, causing agony for the parents and perhaps even leading to abortion).

#86 of 102 Old 10-10-2011, 07:53 PM

WOW! I am 25 wks 6 days today and I just got to hear my baby's heartbeat for the first time today! I am so happy and I totally cried :) Wonderful midwife sent us home with a fetoscope to borrow and use whenever we'd like!

Mama to DD born 1/28/12, and baby #2 on the way in January '14!

#87 of 102 Old 10-10-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliaanne View Post

WOW! I am 25 wks 6 days today and I just got to hear my baby's heartbeat for the first time today! I am so happy and I totally cried :) Wonderful midwife sent us home with a fetoscope to borrow and use whenever we'd like!

Ohhhhhh, isn't it just the most wonderful feeling, and so worth the wait???  I am SO HAPPY for you!!!  I cried too, how can you not?  It all becomes so real!  Congratulations!

#88 of 102 Old 10-12-2011, 06:32 PM

Had my check-up today, 25 weeks, still couldn't find the heartbeat! bawling.gif  The baby moves, a lot, so I am not feeling worried or anything, just think the LO was faced the wrong way.  My MW sent me home with one of her fetoscopes to try to find it, so DH and I have been trying all day.

Om'ing to Peace

#89 of 102 Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

Had my check-up today, 25 weeks, still couldn't find the heartbeat! bawling.gif  The baby moves, a lot, so I am not feeling worried or anything, just think the LO was faced the wrong way.  My MW sent me home with one of her fetoscopes to try to find it, so DH and I have been trying all day.

Oh bugger... It's so soft at this point, so faint, that it's not surprising that it can't be heard if the baby was facing the wrong way.  Like you said, the baby moves a lot, so there's nothing to worry about... Have fun trying to hear and keep us posted!!  :)

#90 of 102 Old 10-14-2011, 10:37 AM

Update!  We heard it this morning!joy.gif Oh it was so beautiful, and I definitely cried too!  DH heard it also, he was pretty amazed by it.  I tried to count the beats and it came up around 130s-140s so... boy?  Either way I am walking on clouds today!

Om'ing to Peace

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page