The First-Time Mamas Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 77 Old 08-03-2011, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh wombjuice you've made me feel so much better!  I made a typo though, I am 14 weeks not 16!  I have upped my physical activity a lot though, since I am definitely having that surge of energy we were promised.  I am slightly afraid of reaching the end of this pregnancy with more weight gain than I would like, but I also realize I have to let go to some degree and let my body guide me through this experience...

And harleth now you're giving me ideas to try out a stethoscope! orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombjuice View Post

You've gained 8 pounds total so far?  That's actually fantastic.  One of the midwifery texts I've read says women are likely to gain 10 lbs by 14 weeks.  I'm up 10 lbs in total, also, and I've really not changed my diet much at all.  Your blood volume has doubled, your breasts are growing extra mammary tissue, your uterus is growing new muscle mass AND it is full of amniotic fluid, and your baby and placenta has some measurable weight now, too.  Releax, mama.  Eat nutritious foods, try to walk (or whatever you do for exercise) at least three times per week, and do not worry about weight gain.  You're doing great! thumb.gif

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#62 of 77 Old 08-03-2011, 04:58 PM

Hope no one minds me thread crashing. :)

Quote:

Ladies, both DH and I felt the baby move today!!!  I'm about 15 weeks and a couple days...I didn't expect to feel it so early!  I was laying in bed and felt something moving through my lower belly and thought it was gas (I was still half asleep, lol), and then realized...there's no way that could be gas.  So I put my hand on my belly and totally felt it move from the outside!  Then I put DH's hand on my belly, and baby kicked him hard!!  It was just incredible!!  Sprout has now been moving around all morning!  I can't believe how fast it went from feeling nothing to feeling definite movement.  I'm so happy and excited!!  And I've now officially told the rest of my friends and family (through facebook, lol), so they're all excited for us, too.

joy.gif

We could feel my second at 15 weeks (both dh & I). He's still my most hyper kid. So much energy & always seems to be moving.

Quote:

I've been trying to hear baby's heartbeat with my fetoscope since around 14 weeks! lol.gif  And I'm a midwifery student who does not know a single midwife in real life who has heard heart tones with a fetoscope before 22 weeks, but here I am, trying it anyway!  Still not able to hear it at 17 weeks, but baby's been moving every day since 15 wks 3 days, so I don't really care as much anymore, lol.

You don't know a midwife who's heard the heartbeat before 22 weeks? Weird. It's quite common to be able to hear around 17 weeks. I'm pretty sure I've heard this one & the last 2 by 17 weeks. A midwife on here once described the early heartbeat through a fetoscope as similar to hearing a watch ticking under a pillow.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#63 of 77 Old 08-03-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, and I'm the one who heard it at 22 weeks!  The other midwives have heard it at around 24 weeks!  Now there is an expensive fetoscope called a "Leff" that is supposed to be able to pick up heart tones right around 18 weeks, but nobody I know can afford that one...they'd rather just spend the money on a doppler.  I can't afford a Leff and I won't use a doppler, so I have to wait til I can hear the heartbeat with my cheapo fetoscope. innocent.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

You don't know a midwife who's heard the heartbeat before 22 weeks? Weird. It's quite common to be able to hear around 17 weeks. I'm pretty sure I've heard this one & the last 2 by 17 weeks. A midwife on here once described the early heartbeat through a fetoscope as similar to hearing a watch ticking under a pillow.

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#64 of 77 Old 08-04-2011, 05:52 PM

I just have a cheap fetoscope too. Weird.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#65 of 77 Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe you just exceptional hearing? lol.gif

I think what it all comes down to is that the midwives here in this state all prefer dopplers, so they do not have any experience with the fetoscope.  Although, even all the midwifery texts say don't bother trying to pick up FHT's with a fetoscope before 18 weeks. *shrug*  I tried again last night and still couldn't hear it (and I have pretty good hearing, I think!), but then baby kicked the fetoscope, so I laughed and gave up! smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

I just have a cheap fetoscope too. Weird.

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#66 of 77 Old 08-07-2011, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

I just heard my baby's heartbeat for the first time!!! joy.gif

Devaskyla encouraged me to try again with my fetoscope, and I found heart tones this morning right above my pubic bone (although my fundus is almost to my navel...I have a really short torso).  They were in the 140's and sounded nice and strong!  I am 17 wks and 3 days today.

YAY YAY YAY!!! luxlove.gif 

#67 of 77 Old 08-07-2011, 04:51 PM

Awesome! I haven't even tried to figure out the heart rate... that part I do suck at, so you're ahead of me there. lol

#68 of 77 Old 08-12-2011, 08:47 AM

Those who've found the heartbeat on their own, I am so happy for you! I went to my midwife appt yesterday, at 16 weeks, and she couldn't find the heartbeat with fetoscope.  I wasn't too disappointed as I knew that she most likely wouldn't.  I am considering walking into a medical supply store to get a stethoscope and just try it out myself.  Any advise?

Om'ing to Peace

#69 of 77 Old 08-12-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

element, you are going to be much more likely to find the heartbeat with a fetoscope.  Much later in pregnancy, a stethoscope will be fine, but this early, the fetoscope is better.  You can get a really cheap one off of ebay or Amazon!  I got mine for 30 bucks, but on ebay they sell them for as cheap as 12. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

Those who've found the heartbeat on their own, I am so happy for you! I went to my midwife appt yesterday, at 16 weeks, and she couldn't find the heartbeat with fetoscope.  I wasn't too disappointed as I knew that she most likely wouldn't.  I am considering walking into a medical supply store to get a stethoscope and just try it out myself.  Any advise?

#70 of 77 Old 08-12-2011, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Wish I had a fetoscope... Waiting three more weeks for my next appointment, when I'll be 21 weeks! Mom will be in town, so I'm hoping she'll get to listen to her first grandchild's hb!!! At least the wiggles and kicks are keeping me sane...

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#71 of 77 Old 08-13-2011, 01:56 PM

I just caught up with this thread and it's funny because I had a dream last night that I was listening to my baby's heartbeat with a stethoscope.  Random!  

I am still waiting to feel undeniable movement... I am going camping this week and I hope that I get that first kick or whatever in the woods,  That would be a nice memory!  

Have a great week!

wool.gif   homebirth.jpg   treehugger.gif

#72 of 77 Old 08-30-2011, 06:38 AM

I felt undeniable baby movement and about ten and a half weeks.  My friend who is pregnant with twins had described it to me THAT DAY, and I laid down in bed and was like "Oh, that's what that weird-ass feeling is!"  It was really neat :)  And my midwife found the heartbeat on her doppler at 16 weeks with almost no issue, which was awesome.  She got it for sure, said "We have a heart beat!" and let me listen for what seemed like an eternity (but was probably only two or three minutes ;)

My partner and I are suffering from my already very strong nesting instinct.  I made him help me figure out a whole whack of things on the weekend and clean our entire room AND take me out to find some nice, soft lighting to help me during the midnight diaper changes.  All of which is hilarious when you add in the fact that neither of us can believe it's going to happen still :P

All in all, I'm having a really good time of it.  The worst part is how moody and easily upset I can get at times, but I find that even that is going away as the pregnancy progresses.

#73 of 77 Old 08-30-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiomi View Post

My partner and I are suffering from my already very strong nesting instinct.  I made him help me figure out a whole whack of things on the weekend and clean our entire room AND take me out to find some nice, soft lighting to help me during the midnight diaper changes.  All of which is hilarious when you add in the fact that neither of us can believe it's going to happen still :P

We're in the same boat... We've made so many trips to Goodwill getting rid of junk that had been cluttering up our home, and DH has installed additional storage.  I've been organizing closets and cabinets with a zeal I never possessed before.  You're right, it really is hilarious!

Just three more days and I get to hear the baby's hb!  This kid can kick!!

OK, now back to my endless search for the perfect cloth diapering system... *sigh*

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#74 of 77 Old 08-30-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

OK, now back to my endless search for the perfect cloth diapering system... *sigh*

Prefolds!!  I have. SO. MANY. PREFOLDS.  :) and you don't need a bazillion covers and the velcroe is super easy to replace if it starts to wear out :)  And the smaller sizes can be used as liners for the bigger sizes, or burp cloths.  ^__^

Or super extra awesome pocket diapers, like these: http://www.babykangas.com/ or these http://www.happyheinys.com/our-products/starter-kits (I'm trusting the word of a friend with three kids on all three of those diaper options ;).  She says prefolds are the best and easiest for smaller babies, and the one size AIO are better for more active older kids)

I've spent a lot of time looking at diapers.... >_>

#75 of 77 Old 08-30-2011, 02:49 PM

Personally, I think prefolds are awesome for lazy infants *and* active toddlers.  It's all about finding the cover that works best for you, though.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#76 of 77 Old 08-30-2011, 03:10 PM

Montessorimama, I'm not sure if you've seen this already, someone in the forum awhile back posted this link to a 7 part video overview of all of the cloth diapering systems: http://www.youtube.com/user/JaimeeGleisner

It was very helpful for me, I'm leaning towards fitteds and prefolds with some adorable covers!

Om'ing to Peace

#77 of 77 Old 08-30-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

Montessorimama, I'm not sure if you've seen this already, someone in the forum awhile back posted this link to a 7 part video overview of all of the cloth diapering systems: http://www.youtube.com/user/JaimeeGleisner

It was very helpful for me, I'm leaning towards fitteds and prefolds with some adorable covers!

Thank you SO MUCH!  I'm also leaning towards prefolds and covers but this link will hopefully clarify things some more...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page