The Name Toss - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 154 Old 08-31-2011, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I were looking a baby name book from the library the other night. One of our criteria is that it is nearly impossible to come up with a nasty nickname. I can't remember what name he said aloud, but I immediately came up with several "nicknames"...rules that one out!

^^^^^

Sunshine is very cute and lighthearted for a girl, but I also couldn't name this baby that...mostly because I don't like Sun or Sunny for some reason...

#62 of 154 Old 09-02-2011, 04:09 PM

Our front runners are August Patrick for a boy and Willow Ryan for a girl. We are not finding out so we need to have two good ones ready :)

slinggirl.gif mama to baby girl E born at home on 1/8/12 with stork-suprise.gif#2 on his or her way around 8/28/13

intactivist.gif toddler.gif homebirth.jpg familybed1.gifcd.gif placenta.gif-eater

#63 of 154 Old 09-04-2011, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Love August and Willow. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieIncognito View Post

Our front runners are August Patrick for a boy and Willow Ryan for a girl. We are not finding out so we need to have two good ones ready :)

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#64 of 154 Old 09-04-2011, 04:12 PM

For our first child Hubby and I played the name game every night while drifting off to sleep.  We would alternate letters of the alphabet and have to come up with a boy and a girl name (until the US).  The other would have to give their opinion.  Sometimes we'd bluff and throw out a name we hated only to get a 'yeah, I really like that!' from the other.  Sometimes we'd 'yuck!' a name that was meant to be serious.  We're pretty good about not taking that sort of thing personally though.  Many nights we'd quit somewhere around LMNOP just from brain exhaustion.

Our list for the first one was:  Ezekiel, Simon, and Sebastien/Sebastian; once we met him he turned out to be a Benjamin!

How do you feel about double middles?  My husband wanted to name our son Benjamin Franklin Rocket Ourlastname, and I told him to pick one.  If he'd asked me more than 5 minutes before we filled out the birth certificate I probably would have gone with it.  He stalled a bit and then settled on Rocket as we'd originally planned.

Our girl name would have been Adeline Grace.

For this guy we're kicking around Ulysses and Abraham so far.  Luck or Almon (my grandfather's name) as possible middle names.

#65 of 154 Old 09-04-2011, 05:45 PM

I like double middle names.  A lot.  I lopped my husband's last name to mine so I have two last names (no hyphen) and wanted all the kids to have FirstName MiddleName1 MiddleName/MyLastName FamilySurname, but my husband thought it was just a lot for a kid.  He can be a real square sometimes!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#66 of 154 Old 09-06-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psmythe View Post

For our first child Hubby and I played the name game every night while drifting off to sleep.  We would alternate letters of the alphabet and have to come up with a boy and a girl name (until the US).  The other would have to give their opinion.  Sometimes we'd bluff and throw out a name we hated only to get a 'yeah, I really like that!' from the other.  Sometimes we'd 'yuck!' a name that was meant to be serious.  We're pretty good about not taking that sort of thing personally though.  Many nights we'd quit somewhere around LMNOP just from brain exhaustion.

Our list for the first one was:  Ezekiel, Simon, and Sebastien/Sebastian; once we met him he turned out to be a Benjamin!

How do you feel about double middles?  My husband wanted to name our son Benjamin Franklin Rocket Ourlastname, and I told him to pick one.  If he'd asked me more than 5 minutes before we filled out the birth certificate I probably would have gone with it.  He stalled a bit and then settled on Rocket as we'd originally planned.

Our girl name would have been Adeline Grace.

For this guy we're kicking around Ulysses and Abraham so far.  Luck or Almon (my grandfather's name) as possible middle names.

Oh, I really like Ulysses, with a possible nickname of Uli. My last name rhymes with "Grant" (as in Ulysses S.) though, so the name's pretty much out for us.

Double middles don't worry me unless the individual parts of the name are long. If I have to pause for breath in saying a full name, it's a little too long for my tastes!

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#67 of 154 Old 09-06-2011, 11:40 AM

I like August and Abraham. Lincoln has been rolling around my head, also. And "virtues" for a girl middle name. Grace, Honor, Faith, Charity, etc. My siblings and I each have two middle names as does DS. Well, my sister and one of my brothers have hyphenated first names and one middle name...this whole naming business is so very personal and varied, I love hearing ideas and traditions from everybody!

#68 of 154 Old 09-07-2011, 10:48 AM

My DD, 6, has two middle names and it hasn't been too confusing for her. Her first middle name is her birthmoms middle name and the second is my middle name. Not sure if we will have 2 for this one but I am thinking not.

#69 of 154 Old 09-19-2011, 04:53 PM

Can I get you guys to chime in with your thoughts of the name "Potter" for a boy....

It's my husband's middle name and was his grandmother's maiden name. It's very special to him and he LOVES it. Calls the baby it all the time.... I think its a sweet name, like that it's a family name, and it sounds earthy to me. 

HOWEVER, come on... Harry Potter.. I can already see how many questions I'm going to get about that.. PLUS our last name is Barnes.... so Potter Barnes -- Pottery Barn... UGH! and nick names.... oh man............... Any opinions?  

#70 of 154 Old 09-19-2011, 07:37 PM

I will *always* get behind a family name.  Without a doubt.  Potter sounds like an awesome name for your son. :)

Angela
#71 of 154 Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been having a similar fight with Lila because of our last name starting with Li also. Really though, if you love it, it shouldn't matter. Who knows if Pottery Barn will even be around when he's older. And as for Harry Potter, you'll get questions, but they'll easily be quashed with a simple "It's a family name."

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#72 of 154 Old 09-19-2011, 11:07 PM

i wouldn't go with Potter as a first name, personally. I always think of my kid as an adult having to tell strangers their names or having it read on a resume.

Thanks for the game idea. Dh is actually up for it, which is amazing, since he's absolutely refused to discuss names until after the birth with the last 2.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#73 of 154 Old 09-20-2011, 06:36 AM

I'm not a huge fan of Potter, because I don't really like first names that sound like last names.  But the family connection is sweet, I can understand why your husband is drawn to it.

We are just having a hell of a time trying to name this baby.  I would love to just call him Wren.  Short, simple, easy to pronounce and spell, I love the sound of it and I love the little birds.  My husband doesn't hate the name or anything but is convinced that it's 100% a girl name.  Really?  Wren?  To me it's like Rowan, so very obviously unisex, not raaaaah!  manly! but not fluffy and girly either.

(Love the name Rowan, but it's the name of a friend's daughter who was born pre-term and didn't make it, so in my heart it's already used.)

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#74 of 154 Old 09-20-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imakecutebabies View Post

Can I get you guys to chime in with your thoughts of the name "Potter" for a boy....

It's my husband's middle name and was his grandmother's maiden name. It's very special to him and he LOVES it. Calls the baby it all the time.... I think its a sweet name, like that it's a family name, and it sounds earthy to me. 

HOWEVER, come on... Harry Potter.. I can already see how many questions I'm going to get about that.. PLUS our last name is Barnes.... so Potter Barnes -- Pottery Barn... UGH! and nick names.... oh man............... Any opinions?  

Family names are special and very meaningful. I think Potter sounds very old-fashioned and masculine. However, I cannot come up with a good nickname. Pott, Potti, TeeTee, and Ter all sound very toilet-y. Maybe you could use it as a middle name. Or look for names that mean "potter" and see if there any you like?

#75 of 154 Old 09-20-2011, 10:52 AM

What if you used Potter as a middle name?  My husband felt really strongly about using a family name for this baby if it was a boy. I really don't like the name in question but agreed to use it as a middle name. As it turns out we're having a girl and stumbled across her name and both loved it, so hers was easy.  I really like family names though, it's neat to have the history behind the name be something more substantial than "we were browsing a website and liked it (which is how 3 of my 4 have been named).

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

#76 of 154 Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 AM

My son's first name is his family name, but that's because it's my husband's, his father's and his grandfather's first name.  We simply never loved it, but its placement was set in stone.  So we call him by his middle name.  Potter can easily be a first name and you can go by the middle.  That being said, I still think it's a cool first name. :)  Both of my kids have surnames as their names, though, so Potter would fit right in this family!

Angela
#77 of 154 Old 09-20-2011, 11:15 AM

Oh, my contribution to this thread - we have our boy name set in stone!  Woot.  It won't be revealed until my children meet this child and learn the name first, but we're ready.

No clue on a girly name.  I have one that I've always loved, but it rhymes with my son's nickname so I'm debating forcing everybody to call my son by his given name and then using the girly name!

Angela
#78 of 154 Old 09-20-2011, 11:38 AM

congrats, angela!  i think i remember you mentioning what your son's name was, so now i'm trying to wildly guess what that girly name could be.  :)

we have baby girl's first name picked out, but i don't think we are agreed on a middle name.  both of the grandmothers and i share the same middle name (how strange is that?), so reflexively, we want to pick that, but it's just not *grabbing* us, iykwim.  i have another middle name that i like, but i don't think my husband is too keen on it.  oh well.  we have time to find one we both feel really good about.

i am hearing the "potter" conversation, and i understand the dilemma.  i also think family names are really cool, but i would use it as a middle name, myself.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#79 of 154 Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM

For those who might give birth at the end of December: Has anyone thought of using seasonal names (Winter, December, Noel, Holly)? And what about January? Just curious...

#80 of 154 Old 09-20-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasmoman View Post

For those who might give birth at the end of December: Has anyone thought of using seasonal names (Winter, December, Noel, Holly)? And what about January? Just curious...

I was thinking Snow would be an awesome middle name, thinking about Penelope Snow.

imakecutebabies likes this.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#81 of 154 Old 09-21-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post

I was thinking Snow would be an awesome middle name, thinking about Penelope Snow.

Oooooh....Snow! I never thought about using weather words. I think Penelope Snow sounds like a folk singer :).

#82 of 154 Old 09-21-2011, 12:55 PM

I like Snow, too! 

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#83 of 154 Old 09-21-2011, 02:30 PM

I grew up with a girl named January - always thought it was a cool name!  I also know two girls named Rain.  I love Snow, too!

#84 of 154 Old 09-21-2011, 08:44 PM

Dh really likes Snow (yay, he's pretty hard to please).  So, I have two girl names Penelope Snow and Fiona Meadow to choose from, but no boy names!  I just can't think of anything for a boy really, nothing that I LOVE you know?  Anyone have any suggestions for me?  I have two daughters named Lydia and Phoebe if that helps.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#85 of 154 Old 09-22-2011, 05:27 AM

Penelope Snow is just so delicious! Would you call her Penny?

Angela
#86 of 154 Old 09-22-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

Penelope Snow is just so delicious! Would you call her Penny?

I don't know, some people probably will and that's OK I like Penny.  Dh says that it reminds him of Penny from Inspector Gadget, I was amazed he even remembered that!  I have the feeling that b/c I have 2 girl names I like and no boy names that inevitably it will be a boy LOL.

#87 of 154 Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 AM

I like Theodore or Sebastian for a boy and Daisy or Penelope for a girl! At least... right now I do haha but it's likely to change!

#88 of 154 Old 09-22-2011, 12:04 PM

Here's the DH and I approved list for first names:

Aria

Magnolia

Flora

Ela

Samson

Gideon

Abraham

Tobias

Still working on middle names!

P.S. Is it weird that we'll probably have a few names for either gender picked out so we can have a good selection to choose from AFTER we meet the new LO?

#89 of 154 Old 09-22-2011, 12:18 PM

No, not weird! This is exactly what we are doing to. I want at least 2-3 good options for both sexes and then when we see our baby we will pick from that short list the perfect one. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasmoman View Post

Here's the DH and I approved list for first names:

Aria

Magnolia

Flora

Ela

Samson

Gideon

Abraham

Tobias

Still working on middle names!

P.S. Is it weird that we'll probably have a few names for either gender picked out so we can have a good selection to choose from AFTER we meet the new LO?

slinggirl.gif mama to baby girl E born at home on 1/8/12 with stork-suprise.gif#2 on his or her way around 8/28/13

intactivist.gif toddler.gif homebirth.jpg familybed1.gifcd.gif placenta.gif-eater

#90 of 154 Old 09-22-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsandbaby View Post

I like Theodore or Sebastian for a boy and Daisy or Penelope for a girl! At least... right now I do haha but it's likely to change!

LOL, I was just asking dh last night what he thought of the name Theodore, I just love the thought of call a boy Theo :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page