The Name Toss - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 154 Old 10-24-2011, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sorry for your family's loss, MontessoriMama

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#122 of 154 Old 10-24-2011, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

I'm sorry for your family's loss, MontessoriMama

Thank you.  It was actually reassuring to know that there was a beautiful baby kicking away inside me as I got the news... Life ends, and yet life begins.  :)

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#123 of 154 Old 10-30-2011, 08:00 PM

Were not having much luck on names. We've looked at tons and so far Mason is the only one that has stuck. ... but I want the name to ring when I hear or say it, make any sense? Mason isnt ringing for me though huh.gif

Wife partners.gif  mama to our son (01/03/2012) babyboy.gif  for bf bfinfant.gif & familybed1.gif

#124 of 154 Old 10-31-2011, 07:55 AM

Ahhh!  Boy names are so hard for us to pick!  Originally I loved Silas....then Elias....now Elijah.  My DH liked Elijah best, now he says Elias.  I would like to use my dad's name for the middle name - John.  Elias John.  Elijah John.  Any other good ideas?

#125 of 154 Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneboymum View Post
 I would like to use my dad's name for the middle name - John.  Elias John.  Elijah John.  Any other good ideas?

I really like Elias! DH isn't fond of Eli, though...and that's the common nickname. John Elias sounds nice, too. We're still working on final picks. I'd like to have three girl-y names and three boy names that we both really like to choose from after the birth. However, the list is getting longer, not shorter :O!

The girl names are coming easier:

-Magnolia Jo/Joan/Noel/Snow/Winter/Elise

-Flora with one of the above middle names

-Aria with one of the middle names 

#126 of 154 Old 10-31-2011, 12:27 PM

I really like Elias John-- it has a certain je na sais quoi.

We have still made NO progress on a name for this little guy.  There's a name I'm in love with which I am half-guessing (and fully hoping) we'll go with eventually, due to my husband being unable to come up with any suggestions of his own.  We have a list of maybe 12 names that he didn't out and out veto, out of the dozens of names I've suggested to him since becoming pregnant this time.  He doesn't have a preference for any of them and whenever I say, let's just go with (foo), he's like well... maybe... or maybe we should keep looking.  Maddening.

Honestly?  I know it's kind of crazy, but I feel really, really anxious about not having a name for this baby.  I'm worried that if something happens to him and he doesn't have a name yet, it won't be "real" for anyone except me.  I just want to settle on something so I can feel calm about it.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#127 of 154 Old 10-31-2011, 01:04 PM

Elias John has a nice ring to it.

I don't know how some of you have multiple names as options for both genders.  It's practically impossible for my husband and I to agree on one first and one middle.  And, frankly, I'm not super in love with the boy first and we don't have a girl middle yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldandsleepy View Post
Honestly?  I know it's kind of crazy, but I feel really, really anxious about not having a name for this baby.  I'm worried that if something happens to him and he doesn't have a name yet, it won't be "real" for anyone except me.  I just want to settle on something so I can feel calm about it.

I can't remember if I posted this or not, but we had a name picked out and I thought we had practically shaken on it.  I started calling the babe by that name in my head.  Then around 20ish weeks my husband randomly mentioned that he didn't like it anymore and we just couldn't use it.  I nearly lost it.  Seriously, I practically broke into tears because "my baby can't not have a name!" and "what happens if the baby dies and then we just go with that name and you've never loved it and I'll just be so sad?" and wah wah wah.  It was at that moment that my husband realized he needed to stop screwing around and really help with the name bit because I had come up with a dozen fantastic names and he had just felt meh about them and now we were halfway through and I was way too hormonal and I *needed* a name and I needed it now.

So, no, not crazy at all.  I know that anxiousness over something that could be discussed for another 12 weeks, but sometimes you just want to know!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#128 of 154 Old 10-31-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejax View Post

Were not having much luck on names. We've looked at tons and so far Mason is the only one that has stuck. ... but I want the name to ring when I hear or say it, make any sense? Mason isnt ringing for me though huh.gif

This reminds me of my son.  As a compromise I told the old man he could have Cooper as a name so I could "win" some other things.  Anyway, I never loved Cooper.  Ever.  There was no ring or anything.  Then on my EDD my husband said "How about Spencer or Griffin?" and I freaking jumped on it!  My son was born 8 days later and had a new name...only because he was "late."

So you might find something you love in the tenth hour. :)

applejax likes this.

Angela
#129 of 154 Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasmoman View Post

I really like Elias! DH isn't fond of Eli, though...and that's the common nickname. John Elias sounds nice, too. We're still working on final picks. I'd like to have three girl-y names and three boy names that we both really like to choose from after the birth. However, the list is getting longer, not shorter :O!

The girl names are coming easier:

-Magnolia Jo/Joan/Noel/Snow/Winter/Elise

-Flora with one of the above middle names

-Aria with one of the middle names 

I love Magnolia Snow!  Flora Elise or Aria Elise sounds great, too.

#130 of 154 Old 11-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessica_lizette View Post

I got my heart pretty set on Rosalie but DH doesn't like it. I also love Arielle. Do you ladies think she'd be compared to The Little Mermaid?

I was loving the name Rosalie, but it's a name from the Twilight books so I wasn't entirely sure on it. Hubby told me that he didn't like it, so solved that problem!

DH randomly tells me out of the blue that he really does like Meredith, the name that I came up with before I was even pregnant. So we start telling people that it's a name we're considering and EVERYONE hates it. Hubby says it's out because he doesn't want to give her a name that everyone hates.

We were on Lila for a while, but turns out DH doesn't like it much. Hrmp. Hopefully it's a boy and then we're just set, rather than actually having to decide on a name for a girl.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#131 of 154 Old 11-01-2011, 01:21 PM

^^^ I loooove the name Meredith.  Good associations and a strong female name.

Angela
#132 of 154 Old 11-01-2011, 01:36 PM

I love the name Meredith, too!

aj- married to JA and mami to Bug (11/09) and Critter (1/12)!

#133 of 154 Old 11-01-2011, 02:37 PM

I don't get why none of our friends and family like it. :-(

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#134 of 154 Old 11-01-2011, 02:51 PM

I think some people just don't think before they speak.  My cousin has named her unconceived a name that I just don't like and I must have looked like I wasn't a fan at the time.  So I promptly went home and sent her a text about how it's perfect.

Some people just suck.

lactatinggirl likes this.

Angela
#135 of 154 Old 11-02-2011, 06:28 PM

My husband and I are having a hard time coming to an agreement over naming this kid and it all stems from this one tidbit - both of our kids have a "family" name as one of their two given names.  Daughter's is just sort of organic because I always wanted a girl with that name (her first and the one everybody knows).  Son's first name is the same as husband, dead FIL, dead G-FIL, but he goes by his middle name and hardly anybody even knows his first name.  So I'm stuck on giving potential babe a family name - it can even be in the unimportant middle spot.  Husband says that it doesn't matter that the kid won't care.  I disagree.

The sticker is that we're both onlies so we have no idea if siblings actually *do* care about name stuff like this.  So, would you care if both your siblings had a family name (one used, one not) and you didn't?

Angela
#136 of 154 Old 11-02-2011, 10:24 PM

Nope, wouldn't care. Kids don't generally go around comparing names. As an adult, the only thing that angers me about my sister's name is that her middle name WAS my middle name before my parents changed my name (I'm adopted, my birth middle name my parents apparently didn't like for me, but liked it enough to give to her; annoying). I'm actually the one with a "family" name, my sister isn't. If she's ever even thought about it, she's never mentioned it to me.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#137 of 154 Old 11-03-2011, 06:10 AM

On having thematic names of any sort:  I have four siblings.  They all have very classic full names.  Out of the blue, my mom decided to give me a nickname name (Nikki) as my full name.  She had a more traditional name in mind and then had a change of heart at the last minute and went with that instead.  Though there were times in my life when I liked my name more and liked it less, it really never even *occurred* to me until I was an adult that my siblings all got full names and I got this nickname name.  (Which I love at this point.)  So my feeling is:  there's a non-zero chance that your kid wouldn't notice/wouldn't care if his name didn't fit into the theme established for his older siblings.

(I'm the middle sibling, by the way.  It's not like my mom had a drastic change of heart about names at that point or something.)

Also, I love the name Meredith!  I knew a fabulous girl named Meredith when I was in elementary school and even all these years later, I still have a good association with the name.

#138 of 154 Old 11-03-2011, 02:23 PM

You know, I hadn't really put much thought into it, but my brother has a family name (my father's name, which is also my grandma's maiden last name because she was a Japanese immigrant) as his middle name and I don't. Doesn't bother me. I could see if you had like 5 siblings and they all had family names and you didn't maybe being upset. It would take actually noticing though. :-P

That said, we do family names as middle names. That's just because it's something that we like to do. It feels special to us. If it feels really special to you, fight for it. If you're just worried about the sibling thinking they're not loved enough, don't worry about it.

#139 of 154 Old 12-12-2011, 03:55 PM

Just wondering... anyone NOT set on a name yet?  Still no girl's name here yet...

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#140 of 154 Old 12-12-2011, 03:57 PM

We have no names of any kind here. There's few girl names I think are nice, but no boy names at all. This babe will probably be nameless until after birth like the last 2.

#141 of 154 Old 12-12-2011, 05:10 PM

Ugh.  This is such a source of annoyance around here!  We have a boy name picked, but I'm not in love with it.  We *might* have a girl first name, but no middle.  Basically, we're both done talking about it and just want a name magically pulled out of a hat.

Angela
#142 of 154 Old 12-12-2011, 06:43 PM

We have a few written down (first/middle/last) and we'll probably pick when we meet the baby! I go through phases where I'm partial to one or the other... although if it's a boy I think we are down to just one first name and a toss up for middle names. We keep thinking we should look at names more, but we've hardly done so the entire pregnancy and it's almost over...

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#143 of 154 Old 12-12-2011, 07:32 PM

We have narrowed it down to 2 similar names....either Elias John or Elijah John.  Eli will be his nickname so that's what we're calling him.  We asked our 2.5 yr old what he thinks....at first he said Elijah, then the other day he said Elias.  My husband says we should let the previous child name the next one...but apparently he can't even decide!! 

#144 of 154 Old 12-14-2011, 11:15 AM

Just wanted to second the name "Maggie Jo"  I know one, and she's a funny, kind, beautiful Lawyer! 

#145 of 154 Old 12-20-2011, 05:31 AM

I just wanted to jump in for some opinions about our name ideas...This is our first baby, and we have not found out the gender.

A boy name came to me very early on, sort of before I even knew I was pregnant. If the baby is a boy he will be Arlo Orion.

Choosing a girl name has been much harder, but we both love the Fern as a first name....I am having a hard time pairing it with a middle (Fern Ophelia, Fern Pandora, Fern Silvana?)....Any opinions?

Mama to DD born 1/28/12, and baby #2 on the way in January '14!

#146 of 154 Old 12-20-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliaanne View Post

I just wanted to jump in for some opinions about our name ideas...This is our first baby, and we have not found out the gender.

A boy name came to me very early on, sort of before I even knew I was pregnant. If the baby is a boy he will be Arlo Orion.

Choosing a girl name has been much harder, but we both love the Fern as a first name....I am having a hard time pairing it with a middle (Fern Ophelia, Fern Pandora, Fern Silvana?)....Any opinions?

What themes are you aiming for?  Or ethnicity?

And FYI - I LOVE Orion!

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#147 of 154 Old 12-20-2011, 09:17 AM

Names are hard for us right now as well.  It's a boy name that really has eh and I stuck. Eh likes Judah Stone which I like but am not I love with.  I am trying to sell dh on Theodore or Felix.  I want old fashion but unique like my girls names. Why does naming a tiny little person have to be so hard?!?

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#148 of 154 Old 12-20-2011, 10:15 AM

We still have no name for this little guy.  I told my husband flat out yesterday that if he doesn't participate in the naming process (that is to say, agree on any of the six thousand names I've come up with or suggest one of his own for the first time ever across two pregnancies-- do I sound cross?  I kinda am!), then I am going to name the baby whatever I want to when he's born and he's just going to have to abide by that.  He should know I'm dead serious about this too. 

#149 of 154 Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 AM

No specific theme - but we tend to like simple names with some sort of nature connection. Fern was a favorite of mine for many years, and my partner brought it up out of the blue and we loved it. Both of our last names are Irish in origin, but nothing unusual, and most names sound fine with them (DP's will be the baby's last name, and my last name will be used as a second middle name). 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchobhar View Post

What themes are you aiming for?  Or ethnicity?

And FYI - I LOVE Orion!

Mama to DD born 1/28/12, and baby #2 on the way in January '14!

#150 of 154 Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliaanne View Post

Do you have someone special in your life to honor and use as a middle name?

Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page