The Name Toss - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What names are you throwing around?

We like Fiona for a girl and Felix for a boy, but that could change over the next 9 months. ;)

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 11:54 AM

I have 2 names in mind now, but as you say, that can change in 9 mts (:    I like Brennan for a boy, and Juliet Geraldine for a girl.  If I have a girl, I want to put Geraldine in there someplace, as my mom, Geraldine, just passed in Jan. and this bean is due Jan.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:12 PM

Nova and Faye for boy or girl. My husband is really wants Nova...I really want Faye as its a family name. :) Either or, they will both be our names eventually. :)

belly.gif Nova born on 12/15/11 
belly.gifCapri expected 1/26/14

Old 05-23-2011, 02:37 PM

We have't really discussed it much yet.  We would like to possibly use Colm as a middle name, but then worry if that is too weird since it is our son's name that was stillborn.

For a girl I don't really have any names I am in love with.  I like Darcy, Aisling, Iona, Roisin and  Honora.

Boys names seem to be easer to pick this time I like: Teague, Seamus, Finlay, Colman, Donal or Donnel (different meanings), Lochlan and Malachi.  Yeah, too many I like to choose from...lol

Meghan~~ Mommy to 4 kiddos with feet and one with a halo.  ribbonpb.gif Our rainbow1284.gif is due January 2012~
Old 05-23-2011, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter is dead set on Elizabeth Rainbow Flower, or Nicholas Tiki-jiki. (Yeah, I don't know what that is, either.) I kind of like Piper Elizabeth, or Benjamin.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 05-24-2011, 07:18 AM

This is interesting for us as I had my daughter's first name picked since high school (family name so my husband didn't have a choice)...and he picked the middle name upon seeing her.  My son's first name is my husband's first name and his middle name (which he goes by) was a long, hard debate.  I caved on letting my husband name him something to end the circ debate, but my husband waffled right around my due date and we went another direction - kid was born a week later with a name I love.  Had he been born on my EDD he'd have a different name!

So we need a family name and something else to go with it.  Both of our kids have surnames for first names so we need that theme, too.  This naming business is so hard!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 05-24-2011, 09:10 AM

I like Charlotte Adelaide for a girl.  No clue if it's a boy!  Nothing is appealing to me at the moment.

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

Old 05-24-2011, 11:06 AM

We know that if it's a girl her name will be Marjorie after my grandmother. We have 2 boys so we are stuck on boy names. I really like Christian for a boy but we will see. All of my kids have the same middle name...Munroe. It is a family name and this baby will have that middle name as well.

Linz- Army wife and Momma to Jack (June '08) and Timmy (July '10) expecting baby #3 January 2012
Old 05-24-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linz3 View Post

We know that if it's a girl her name will be Marjorie after my grandmother. We have 2 boys so we are stuck on boy names. I really like Christian for a boy but we will see. All of my kids have the same middle name...Munroe. It is a family name and this baby will have that middle name as well.

Munroe is on my list for a boy first name....not on DH's but it's on mine! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 05-24-2011, 11:23 AM

We were really into names that were spelled and/or pronounced the same in German as in English with DS. We were living in Germany at the time and DH and I are both fluent, so...We ended up with Moses as a first name and his middle name is Torsten Taylor. For this LO we're both liking Magnolia and Flora for a girl with the middle name Jo Elise. We're having a harder time with a boy name. As spiritual people, we're looking at another bible name, but the list is about 20 names long! We all have a long time to decide, though :)

Old 05-24-2011, 11:47 AM

I love the name Torsten, its my cousins name. Guess where he lives lol? I love German names, my first daughter has a German name. For a boy I realy like Holden. My huband isnt sold on it. I also like Emmalyn for a girl or just Emma. We shall see though :)

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
Old 05-24-2011, 12:47 PM

Whatever name we choose will also need to work in both German and English. My husband is German, and we're currently living in a German-speaking country. It's actually really hard to find names that are pronounced in the same way in both languages. And that we like. winky.gif

Our son's name is really close, with a slight sound vowel difference. We use the German pronunciation. 90% of the English speakers we know say it "wrong", but it's not so different as to be horrible. I've asked some of them about it, and they can't even hear the difference unless I really enunciate his name. shrug.gif It doesn't really bother me, though I would like to try to get a name that sounds the same in both this time around. I know it will be hard.

Honestly, though, I haven't even started an actual list yet. Just waiting to see a healthy baby on the ultrasound at our first appt next week, then I'll probably start thinking. Well, if the nausea gives me a chance. smile.gif

Mama to our little boy (3) babyf.gif , the amazing super squirmer, almost born in the taxi...

and our new baby girl stork-girl.gif, caught by her daddy in our bathtub!

Old 05-24-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post

Munroe is on my list for a boy first name....not on DH's but it's on mine! 

I love Munroe as a first name! I wanted to name our first DS Munroe but DH didn't agree but he liked it as a middle name.

Linz- Army wife and Momma to Jack (June '08) and Timmy (July '10) expecting baby #3 January 2012
Old 05-24-2011, 03:15 PM

We've only gotten as far as to decide that if this baby is a boy, his middle name will be my FIL's name (DS2's middle name is my dad's name). I've mentioned several names to DH and he isn't in love with any of them so we'll have to come up with some lists at some point.

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

Old 05-24-2011, 06:33 PM

dh had a huge say in dd2s name, so i get a big say in this one ( i would never pick something he totally hated lol). he picked gwyneth, which i love. i'm thinking either evelyn (family name), Charlotte, Miriam- i like "old lady" names. hehehe! for a boy we both agreed on samson last time, not sure if he's changed his mind or not. i think that one's ok, but i'd be open to other ideas if we thought of anything else.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:34 AM

DF and I decided on names before we ever got pregnant.

Eleanor Ruth for a girl (Ruth was my late grandmother's name) or Trevor Robert for a boy (Robert is DF's late father's name).

We actually have VERY FEW names that we like, so it was a relatively easy decision.

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

Old 05-26-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet.Bee View Post

Whatever name we choose will also need to work in both German and English. My husband is German, and we're currently living in a German-speaking country. It's actually really hard to find names that are pronounced in the same way in both languages. And that we like. winky.gif

Our son's name is really close, with a slight sound vowel difference. We use the German pronunciation. 90% of the English speakers we know say it "wrong", but it's not so different as to be horrible. I've asked some of them about it, and they can't even hear the difference unless I really enunciate his name. shrug.gif It doesn't really bother me, though I would like to try to get a name that sounds the same in both this time around. I know it will be hard.

Honestly, though, I haven't even started an actual list yet. Just waiting to see a healthy baby on the ultrasound at our first appt next week, then I'll probably start thinking. Well, if the nausea gives me a chance. smile.gif

It is hard to find names that are pronounced EXACTLY the same way. Since coming back to the States people look at us weird when we say our son's name in public since we tend to say it the German way...which is very close to the English. Torsten is also pronounced much the same. My name is Lara Elise and Americans pronounce it wrong all the time! I've gotten over it, but I still like it best when my Bayerische Oma(bavarian grandma) says it :)

Old 05-28-2011, 12:24 PM

We like Betty or Beatrix for a girl (after my grandmother) and we are really just starting to toss around boy names, so far Ezra and Liam are on the possibility list, and one of the middle names will most likely be Israel after Micah's brother.  We usually don't name the baby until after it is born and we allow ourselves a few days to decided.  Before Phoebe was born we were going to name her Scarlet, but then she came out it just didn't fit her.  I guess that's another benefit to having a homebirth you don't have to decide in order to take the baby home.  

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
Old 05-30-2011, 10:01 AM

Ladies, this is soo cool. I am at such a loss with names, and I did read some names I liked here! Thank you! My husband is American and I am Hungarian so we have to pick a name that can be easily pronounced in both languages. So names like Hugh, Malachy (I LOVE that name :( ), Christopher, or even Sarah, are out. (They are all pronounced with some silent letters or they mean something nasty in Hungarian.) So are György, Mihály, or Csilla. :D

My daughter's name is Maia Zsuzsanna, the middle name being an exemption from above rule, because it's a family name.

So far we both like Lola for a girl. Thank goodness we have 8ish more months to go!!!

stillheart.gifwife to M (36), mommy to M Zs (May 2009) and B D (Oct 2013)angel1.gif 4.5wks Feb 2011, angel1.gif 9.5wks June 2011, angel1.gif 9.5wks Nov 2011, angel1.gif 7.5wks Oct 2012.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:59 PM

My husband told me before we were even married that he wanted to name a boy Gideon and I told him I wanted to name a girl Dea. We have our Dea (with Fay as the middle name, which is my mother's name). So if it's a boy, it'll be Gideon James (James is DH's middle name, as well as FIL's first name). For a girl, we're still deciding. I really like Meredith. I think it's the prettiest name ever. DH isn't as hot on it as I am, but it's the best one we have so far. We really like uncommon first names. As for middle names, we're stumped. MIL suggested Meredith Leigh. I also kind of like Meredith Renee (which is MIL's sister's name). I want to keep it even-ish from my side and his for middle names, but his has very few workable girl names! MIL doesn't even have a middle name and both of his grandma's have names I don't like (Bessie and Bertha). Then on top of that if we're going with Meredith, we pretty much have to have either a 1 syllable or 2 syllable name for it to work. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Old 05-30-2011, 06:41 PM

is Lucielle a strange name? that's another family name- dh likes it because we could use luci for short. not sure if that's the way my family spells it- i need to double check. any thoughts? i can't figure out if it's too grandma sounding or not. any other names that shorten down to luci? i was thinking maybe lucia (pronounced loo- shee- uhh)?

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:05 PM

I think it's pretty, but I love old lady names ;)

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
Old 05-31-2011, 12:45 AM

Luci names: Lucita, Lucianna, Lucetta, Lucinda, Lucina, Lucette, Lucy, Luz, Lucienne.

Meghan~~ Mommy to 4 kiddos with feet and one with a halo.  ribbonpb.gif Our rainbow1284.gif is due January 2012~
Old 05-31-2011, 07:37 PM

I'm totally stuck on names this time around.  We named our daughter Siena, after visiting Siena, Italy, when I was pregnant with her.  I love it because it sounds common but is a pretty rare name (even when spelled with two Ns).  Her middle name is Ruby, for my great grandmother.  I love it because they're both from the earth (siena is clay) and they're both colors.

I like Sydney (another geographical name-- perhaps trip destination, too?) or Sophie (my great grandmother) for girls, but I'm hoping to find something not so common.  For a boy my husband wants Austin in the name.  I love it for maybe a middle name, but once again, too common.  Otherwise, no ideas.  :/

Sigh.  I hope we stumble on something that we love that has special meaning to us this time around, too.

--Dana

Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 AM

OP-I LOVE Fiona and Felix!

We are considering completely lost for girl, but a boy will most likely be Henry.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Dea

I love name threads!

My first is Beatrix because I wanted an easy to understand name that wasn't common and I am all about children's literature.  We call her Trixie.  

My second is Hudson, and he was very nearly Alistair, he's a Hudson.

This one will be Maizie Jean for a girl, or Archer James for a boy.

Maizie is a family name and Jean is my middle name, Archer is my husband's favourite boy name, and it's started to grow on me, James is a family name.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
Old 06-03-2011, 08:35 PM

I just printed off *my* name list (8 girls, 17 boys) to take on vacation and muddle through with the old man.

It's so hard naming another human!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 06-04-2011, 09:11 PM

I don't even want to think about names!  We named our first Kyla, and had her name picked out a year and a half before I was even pregnant!  When I was pregnant the second time, we found out she was a girl at 18 weeks, and it wasn't until 41 weeks that we settled on her name, and then I still was not quite sure.  I joke that we had to name her so we could send out the Christmas cards b/c she was born at home on Nov 30th!

This time around, we have no idea where to start with a girl name, and I like either Evan Patrick or Evan Samuel for a boy, but DH is not so keen on either......

We've agreed not to even discuss names until we know what this babe is, just to cut down on the frustration!

belly.gifLesli: Wife to Jon, Mommy to my treasures, Kyla(Feb 06), Erin (Nov 08), and "Beanie" due 01/12! We're a home centered family! Homebirth, homecooking, homemade homegrown, and homeschooling!!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Banned

Before my DP and I decided on even having a baby we hashed out the name thing. He said if he ever had a baby boy he wanted it to be named Christian, as that is his middle name. I wasn't too keen on it at first, but I warmed up to it quickly and accepted it. I told him that if I had  a girl it was going to be Hattie, after my deceased grandmother Harriet.  He said that was fine. 

I got to name all three of my other kids with little input or debate from my ex. My youngest two are boys and they were going to be Hattie if one of them were to have been a girl.

As for middle names, Christian would be Christian Pike. My DP goes by the name Pike and has since he was born, though it's not his legal given name.  Hattie will be Hattie Spring, Spring being my middle name.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:46 AM

@AfricanQueen99: It IS really hard naming another human!!

My husband and I can't agree on any names.  We're not planning on finding out the sex before birth, so we have to think of twice as many as we would otherwise ;).  

User Tag List