Sprouts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-23-2011, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there, kind of a random question, but I know sprouts are on the "no-no" list for pg b/c they can harbor bacteria.  But I just bought a sprouting jar and was looking forward to growing my own sprouts this summer.  Do you think homemade sprouts are safe?

I'm not completely sold on the idea that anything unpasteurized is totally off limits anyway (I make my own judgement based on where I am buying something and if I know it is really fresh etc.), but thought I'd get some opinions on home grown sprouts here. 

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#2 of 7 Old 05-23-2011, 02:49 PM

I don't have an answer for you, but I have been craving sprouts! I'd love to know if home grown are a step up on the safety scale because I might need to go that route too!

Sandra + Jeremy keepin' it real with Adelaide (2005) and Watson (2008)
#3 of 7 Old 05-24-2011, 05:24 PM

sorry this is sort of off topic, but how about raw honey? i didn't even stop and wonder whether i should be eating it or not. hmm. sprouts do sound yummy, dang it.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#4 of 7 Old 05-24-2011, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Bummer!  I thought it sounded like a great idea to grow your own, but I found this link:

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/types/fruits/sprouts.html

It looks like the bacteria come from the seeds, so even if you grow them at home, the seeds may already have been contaminated.  And the conditions required to sprout the seeds are also the conditions under which bacteria thrive.

Sorry to find the bad news.  :(  Sprouts sound really good to me, too, and not much else does.

--Dana

#5 of 7 Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm feeling otherwise worthless at the moment, so I looked up honey as well.  I saw an OB say that the risk of botulism from honey to a pregnant mother and her fetus is "theoretical", but the OBs tend to recommend being careful to ensure your honey is pasteurized to prevent this risk.  (http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-eat-honey-during-pregnancy_10305372.bc)

However, when I read about pasteurization, people disagree about whether the process is adequate for killing bacteria or merely to prevent crystallization.  Perhaps the word "pasteurize" causes people to assume that bacteria are killed?  The more reputable sites (including the World Health Organization) tend to say that the spores aren't killed by the heating; "pasteurization" is so people don't think their crystallized honey has gone bad.

This also makes sense when viewed alongside the recommendation NOT to feed honey, *even pasteurized*, to children under a year because of the risk of botulism, whose spores are assumed to be present.  In children it has to do with the maturity/acidity of the digestive tract.  Adults' acidic digestive tracts will kill spores (and therefore, some say, there's no risk to the fetus. Others, such as the OBs above, maintain there's a "theoretical" risk).

Here's a site that explains it well (http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/honey-and-infant.html).  So there's the scoop.  Now do what you feel comfortable doing!  :)  (I'd eat the honey.)

--Dana

#6 of 7 Old 05-25-2011, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Bummer on the sprouts.  I'll avoid them for now, but I'll ask my MW about them too. . .once I've found a MW that is. My last MW actually *recommended* raw milk, obviously not what a regular Ob Dr would do.

I'm okay continuing to eat raw honey though. As you point out it has more to do with the digestive track and I believe there are lots of benefits to raw honey. In fact, I eat a lot of raw food and hope I don't have to cut out many of them.  Sprouting grains for instance increases the absorbable protein, which is even more important for pg. . .

Thanks for sharing your info ladies!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#7 of 7 Old 06-02-2011, 12:44 AM

Hmm, probably goes for wheatgrass too?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page