Who is finding out and who is waiting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 05-26-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! I know it's early still but I was wondering who among us will find out the gender and who will wait until birth? I did not find out with any of my 3 previous pregnancies, but I'm considering it this time because we have gotten rid of everything we ever had that was baby related.  So since I'll be needing diapers and a car seat and some other essentials I am sort of debating with myself as to whether or not to find out.  So I just wondered who else will or will not and if you have any reason for that choice?

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#2 of 39 Old 05-26-2011, 02:46 PM

We're finding out.  To be prepared (even though we won't have a baby shower this time around), but mostly because I'm impatient.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#3 of 39 Old 05-26-2011, 02:52 PM

I want to wait, my husband wants to find out. I am not sure what we will do.

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
#4 of 39 Old 05-26-2011, 02:53 PM

Because of a heart condition that my cousin found in utero with her baby at the "routine" diagnostic u/s at 20 weeks, it is important to me to have that diagnostic u/s.  (For us, the benefits outweigh the risks.)  And as long as they're in there, I figure they might as well take a peek at the sex.  :)

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#5 of 39 Old 05-26-2011, 03:11 PM

I will find out.  This is almost certainly my last pregnancy, and I really want a daughter.  If I'm having another boy, I want to know ahead of time so I have time to get used to the idea before he's born, when hormones will have me moping about plenty of things already.

And also so we can narrow down our name search to one gender.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#6 of 39 Old 05-26-2011, 03:33 PM

We're finding out for sure because 1) We don't want to have to pick out two names. 2) I can start shopping!

#7 of 39 Old 05-26-2011, 04:01 PM

We will find out.  With DS, I didn't want to know and DH did.  The ultrasound was around DHs birthday, so I gave in as a birthday gift.  Little did I expect how happy I was to know and that it made this whole baby idea so real to know it was a little boy in there!  We didn't tell family though, nor will we this time.  I didn't want to get bombarded with all trucks or all pink before the baby was even out!  Plus then it invites too much speculation on names, and last time we learned early to keep names to ourselves.  Though DS could very well blow our secrets this time...

#8 of 39 Old 05-26-2011, 04:22 PM

We will, too, be finding out the sex. Need to prepare and argue on the name (: LOL

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#9 of 39 Old 05-26-2011, 05:05 PM

We will be finding out. Dp is the pregnant one and that's her choice. We didn't find out with ds1 - I carried him and I loved finding out on his birthday. I tried to convince dp to wait this time but with 2 boys already she wants to be prepared for a third ahead of time. While we would love a daughter, a healthy baby is all that matters. I will say that I have an overwhelming feeling that this baby is a girl.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#10 of 39 Old 05-27-2011, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Neither DH nor I want to know. I don't even want US, although I might get one at 20 weeks just to be on the safe side. I agree that I don't want loads of pink clothes or gender-specific toys, just a healthy baby. smile.gif But I have a strong feeling that it's a boy...
lactatinggirl likes this.

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#11 of 39 Old 05-27-2011, 05:05 AM

we will be finding out. I have 5 boys so am anxious to find out if this one may be a girl.......:)

#12 of 39 Old 05-27-2011, 08:35 AM

I can't wait to find out. We have two boys and this will probably be our last...I would love to have a daughter.

Linz- Army wife and Momma to Jack (June '08) and Timmy (July '10) expecting baby #3 January 2012
#13 of 39 Old 05-27-2011, 08:49 AM

We'll find out. We did with ds too and for me it really helped to know. . .just to help me bond with him and to prepare.  I kinda wish I was the type to just let it be a surprise, but I know I'm not! :)

I have girl feelings this time and I'd like to know if I need to change my mental picture about that. Of course, it's possible baby won't cooperate at the 20wk u/s.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#14 of 39 Old 05-27-2011, 09:38 AM

I really want to be surprised this time... we already have one of each so I'm not really wishing either way.  I do think if I already had two girls or two boys  I would be too curious to wait!  We found out for the first two and DH really wants to know for this one too, but I'm hoping I can convince him to keep it a surprise.  I also really don't want lots of pink and blue...

Me (42) DH (43), Catholic Mom to DD (11), DS (6), DS (1)

Expecting #4 in May 2014

#15 of 39 Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 AM

We're waiting to find out because I really want it to be a surprise. This is our third and I wanted to wait with the others too, but I didn't have the will power to not know hehe. We have a boy and a girl already, and I don't have any kind of preference either way, just a strong feeling this baby is a boy.

#16 of 39 Old 05-27-2011, 11:12 AM

I'm honestly not sure yet what we will do. Our big hurdle is getting a sticky bean in there. But if it sticks around I'd like to think I could let this one be a surprise. Like some other posters this would be our third and we already have one of each so it doesn't really matter. We fou d out with the first two though and I don't know if I'm strong enough to say no don't tell me!

Sandra + Jeremy keepin' it real with Adelaide (2005) and Watson (2008)
#17 of 39 Old 05-27-2011, 11:41 AM

We were surprised last time, both of us wanted that.  We also liked getting GN stuff instead of all pink or blue.  That was very helpful.

This time, I think it will be fun to find out, so we will - if baby cooperates at the 20 wk u/s!  lol. 

We'll still have 2 names ready in case the u/s is wrong.  I used to work in L&D and saw too many women who were told one sex and it ended up being the other.  One was told in 3 sonos it was a boy, and a girl popped out!  So I will take it with a grain of salt either way.

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

#18 of 39 Old 05-27-2011, 01:06 PM

Planning a surprise here. Dd was a complete surprise and I prefer low tech anyway, so it's nota big deal to me.

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#19 of 39 Old 05-27-2011, 01:23 PM

we will wait to be surprised.  we didn't find out with DS.  In the beginning I was convinced it was a girl, once he started moving around I just knew it was a boy.  He came out and I didn't even look, no one said anything because we were supposed to announce it and we didn't, I just knew.  Then someone yells, "what is it?", someone said it's a girl, then my dad says "that's a boy, I can see those parts from over here"  it was all pretty amusing!  i have been thinking I will be having another boy, we'll see how it goes if I get a stronger feeling as things progress.

treehugger.gifAP mama to lovable, energetic DS born 4/9/08, expecting #2 mid Jan 2012, wife to German Professor, friend to many. namaste.gif

#20 of 39 Old 05-27-2011, 04:34 PM

We'll find out more than likely because I always have a 20 wk u/s like I have mentioned I have a  genetic blood clotting disorder and there is a history of m/c and stillbirth etc.  so since they'll be looking already we'll let them tell us. I dont even like to talk about this because I feel stupid if something happens to the baby :-( . I just pray nothing will.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#21 of 39 Old 05-27-2011, 06:31 PM

With our last daughter we had thought the whole time that we weren't going to find out, but when we did the ultrasound I caved and let them tell me.  In pregnancy you wait and wait and wait, and when the baby is born it's all there, it's all excitement.  Finding out the gender just makes that waiting so much more bearable, it adds that moment of excitement half way through.  I remember thinking after Phoebe was born that there is no way finding out her gender when she was born could have made the event any more exciting then it already was.  We will be finding out via a reveal party with our family this time :D

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#22 of 39 Old 05-27-2011, 07:25 PM

I'm excited to find out at the ultrasound!  We found out with my daughter, and I really think it helped to bring a sort of abstract idea into reality for me.  I feel like we bonded more ahead of time because I knew she was my daughter.  This time it's not as abstract to me, but I still think it will be a good decision emotionally for us-- even though neither of us have our hearts set on a particular gender.

While I'm not into pink princesses and blue trucks/sports, I don't want everything to be gender neutral either.  So it's nice for preparations, but that's a secondary reason.

#23 of 39 Old 05-30-2011, 08:49 AM

I'm pregnant with my first, and before I got pregnant, I always said that I did not want to find out. But about a week after I found out, I realized that all I want to do is nest and be prepared. As some have stated, I'm not all pink=girl and blue=boy, but I'm not completely gender neutral either. So we're going to find out and tell close family and friends, but keep the gender on the down low for most other folks so we have some element of surprise at the birth as well. :)

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#24 of 39 Old 05-30-2011, 12:41 PM

nope, i love the waiting :)

familybed2.gif mama to dd energy.gifborn 8/08 and dd fly-by-nursing2.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg and one crazy dog2.gif oh and one loving dh dh_malesling.GIF

#25 of 39 Old 05-30-2011, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I love not knowing. There is something magical about the pregnancy daydreams and wondering who your child is going to be. For me, not knowing the sex of the baby just adds to the mystery and excitement. We found out with our first and did not with the next two and we enjoyed not knowing more :)

lactatinggirl likes this.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#26 of 39 Old 05-30-2011, 01:19 PM

surprise for us! we did the same for our first two.  we had 20 week ultrasound and just told the tech we didn't want to know the sex. never had any trouble.

It's one of the few things left in life to be TRULY surprised.  I love it each time. :D

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#27 of 39 Old 05-30-2011, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We're going to let it be a surprise. DH really wanted to wait last time, but I couldn't stand it. Immediately after I was sad that I didn't wait. Then, of course, since everyone knew it was a girl, they bought TONS of pink and purple and hardly anything gender-neutral. This time I'm all for waiting. We may not even have an U/S at all because I don't like the unknowns of them (we'll decide after having a discussion with the midwife about it). Either way, I just don't want to know. I think it'll be a nice present on Twig's (which is what we're calling him/her) birthday to find out. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#28 of 39 Old 05-30-2011, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by demoonunit View Post

I'm pregnant with my first, and before I got pregnant, I always said that I did not want to find out. But about a week after I found out, I realized that all I want to do is nest and be prepared. As some have stated, I'm not all pink=girl and blue=boy, but I'm not completely gender neutral either. So we're going to find out and tell close family and friends, but keep the gender on the down low for most other folks so we have some element of surprise at the birth as well. :)

If you tell anyone, all they'll get you is pink or blue (depending on what it is). Seriously I think I received like 1 thing that wasn't girly. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#29 of 39 Old 05-30-2011, 11:37 PM

We decided not to find out.  We did with our first, third and fifth.  We did not find out with our second and fourth.  It seems right to wait to find out this time too :D

Meghan~~ Mommy to 4 kiddos with feet and one with a halo.  ribbonpb.gif Our rainbow1284.gif is due January 2012~
#30 of 39 Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 AM

We will definitely find out. I would find out now if I could, I like to know as soon as I can!

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page