Dealing with a belly full of gas... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else have horrible gas? I know it wasn't this bad last time. The gas is bad enough that it hurts. I haven't eaten anything that would stick out as causing gas, either. Is there anything a preggo can do about it?

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#2 of 14 Old 05-27-2011, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I feel your pain... For me what's worked is lots of walking, lying on my left side, and drinking sparkling water. Also, a glass of water (sparkling or plain) with a tablespoon of unfiltered apple cider vinegar + a litte bit of honey works wonders. It doesn't taste as bad as it sounds, kind of tart and refreshing. Two weeks ago I looked like I was 20 weeks along, but it was all gas! I hope you feel better soon!!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#3 of 14 Old 05-27-2011, 10:00 AM

I can commiserate with looking months pregnant with a belly full of gas! Fortunately my bloating and full belly has gone down a bit too, I didn't do anything specific but I think I just progressed out of that sluggish digestion phase.

#4 of 14 Old 05-28-2011, 09:40 AM

the other day i ate a cup of bean soup- BAD idea! lol!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#5 of 14 Old 05-28-2011, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Oooh...that had to hurt!

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#6 of 14 Old 05-28-2011, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Horrible, belching, awful gas.   I think a large part of my nausea is due to my swollen belly.  Dh brought me some Zantac which helped, but taking it was a nightmare.  My belly was so full of acid and gas that swallowing the Zantac felt like drinking a cup full of live eels.  I swear there was a battle for good and evil going on in my stomach.  Once the meds started to work and some of the gas dissipated (with a number of extremely large belches) I did start feeling better.  

Maybe next time, I could just try some Tums.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#7 of 14 Old 05-29-2011, 06:28 AM

Here's one thing I've discovered: Never ever ever eat fruit after you've had a meal (i.e. for dessert), especially if said fruit is very sugary (cantaloupe, pineapple, or apple, to name but a few.  Citrus is not such a problem for me.).  This is because protein and carbs in your meal take longer to digest in your stomach.  The fruit will sit in your stomach waiting for the meal to be digested, and with your stomach's heat will start to ferment.  Hence the gas... If you are going to eat fruit, do it either BEFORE the main part of the meal or BETWEEN meals.  This has helped me so much in the gas department!  Hope this helps!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#8 of 14 Old 05-30-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

Here's one thing I've discovered: Never ever ever eat fruit after you've had a meal (i.e. for dessert), especially if said fruit is very sugary (cantaloupe, pineapple, or apple, to name but a few.  Citrus is not such a problem for me.).  This is because protein and carbs in your meal take longer to digest in your stomach.  The fruit will sit in your stomach waiting for the meal to be digested, and with your stomach's heat will start to ferment.  Hence the gas... If you are going to eat fruit, do it either BEFORE the main part of the meal or BETWEEN meals.  This has helped me so much in the gas department!  Hope this helps!

This is 100% true. I study Ayurveda so I know this from that but still sometimes I just cant help myself and eat fruit after a meal. It always ends in me hating life.

Fruit is best eaten by itself.... or if you must then before a meal.

#9 of 14 Old 05-30-2011, 08:38 AM

I heard that having a hot water-lemon drink works wonders. Haven't tried it though.

And I sympathize with all of you- I am really starting to have enough of the not pregnant/ 4 mos pregnant/ not pregnant/ 4 months pregnant look... And it just feels AWFUL!!!!!

stillheart.gifwife to M (36), mommy to M Zs (May 2009) and B D (Oct 2013)angel1.gif 4.5wks Feb 2011, angel1.gif 9.5wks June 2011, angel1.gif 9.5wks Nov 2011, angel1.gif 7.5wks Oct 2012.

#10 of 14 Old 05-30-2011, 11:23 AM

Yesterday I made the mistake of eating 6 prunes. OMG.

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#11 of 14 Old 06-04-2011, 12:46 PM

This is my 3rd pregnancy but FIRST one with so much gas!  it's worse it the morning... but after reading here it's suppose it's from laying all night and all the gas being trapped.

I too feel like i'm showing much earlier then my other 2 pregnancies - I thought it was just the way it would be since i've already carried 2, but i'm going to try some of the remedies posted and see if it helps!  thanks for the advice montessorimama1!

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#12 of 14 Old 06-05-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

My belly was so full of acid and gas that swallowing the Zantac felt like drinking a cup full of live eels.  I swear there was a battle for good and evil going on in my stomach. 

I'm sorry, your pain is not funny but I couldn't help but giggle at the way you described it. lol.gif

#13 of 14 Old 06-08-2011, 11:28 AM

Anyone with nighttime gas issues?  I've been struggling with waking up with stomach pains, going to bathroom and releasing tons of gas!  Sometimes it takes a while, and often I have trouble falling asleep again.  It's awful!  I'm wondering if anyone has been through this and knows of something I can eat or drink before bed to settle things a bit more, and maybe help it pass before bed?  Otherwise, I feel some gas in the day, but nothing like it is at night.

#14 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 PM

I've decided that I'm going to get a t-shirt made with the following on the back:

"Do not walk behind a pregnant woman.  You've been warned."

whistling.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page