June chat thread! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 138 Old 06-25-2011, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewpie80 View Post

I feel so bad for you ladies who haven't been able to hear or see your babies yet. greensad.gif  With going through IVF, having twins, and also having a SCH, I've had 5 ultrasounds so far and heard the heartbeats at the last 4 and even got to see the babies kick and wiggle at the last one yesterday.  I'd go MAD if I had to wait as long as some of you do.  

I'm kind of surprised I haven't had another ultrasound yet.  When we found out it was twins (ours were a complete surprise, since we weren't on any fertility treatments), the OB from my midwife practice came in and told me I'd have LOTS of ultrasounds.  I've had two appointments since then, and no more ultrasounds.  When I asked about it, my midwife told me we'll have more at the end to check fluid levels and positions, etc.  I'm a little disappointed, just because I have a fear of vanishing twin syndrome.  But we did hear two distinct heartbeats, so I feel a bit better.

I can't wait til the 20 week scan, so we'll know the genders.  I really, really want a girl...

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 138 Old 06-25-2011, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

We asked my reproductive endocrinologist about vanishing twin syndrome and he said it happens by week 4 to 6.  So if you're past that, you can probably relax.  I think you can still miscarry one, but from what I've read, you'd have the cramping and such with that.

I had my most recent u/s at 8w4d and I was told the next one would be at 10weeks.  I hope you get another one soon.  They're so reassuring, aren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post

I have a fear of vanishing twin syndrome.  But we did hear two distinct heartbeats, so I feel a bit better.

Me: 33 PCOS Him: 33 vericocele
13 long years of TTC using various methods before the twins finally came - Too much history to list
IVF #1 11 weeks
IVF #2 Liam and Maisie (now 2 years old)
IVF #3 BFN and no frosties
IVF #4 BFP!!!! Twins again!

#123 of 138 Old 06-26-2011, 12:07 AM

Dh and I discussed whether to have the one ultrasound I'm willing to get now (because of the cramping/contractions I've been having) or wait until 18+ weeks for an anatomy scan so we at least have a remote chance of finding out the gender. We both decided it would be better to wait until later unless there's something else that comes up that makes an earlier one seem more necessary. The risks of doppler & ultrasound are too unknown (and my 2nd son has some of the documented issues from ultrasounds despite my only having one, which ended up being about 3x as long as it should have been). If it weren't for worrying about placental placement and twins, I wouldn't get any ultrasounds. I avoid doppler to listen to the heartbeat, too, since it's even more concentrated than ultrasound.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#124 of 138 Old 06-26-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewpie80 View Post

We asked my reproductive endocrinologist about vanishing twin syndrome and he said it happens by week 4 to 6.  So if you're past that, you can probably relax.  I think you can still miscarry one, but from what I've read, you'd have the cramping and such with that.

I had my most recent u/s at 8w4d and I was told the next one would be at 10weeks.  I hope you get another one soon.  They're so reassuring, aren't they?

Not trying to freak you (or myself!), out but from what I've read, it can happen at any time during the pregnancy.  It's most common during the first 8 weeks, but that's when most singleton miscarriages occur also.  http://www.americanpregnancy.org/multiples/vanishingtwin.html  The numbers I've seen say it happens in 15-30% of multiple conceptions.  bigeyes.gif

Of course, most people don't know that it's even happened, and the risk goes WAY down after 8 weeks.  I'm not worrying obsessively or anything, but I'll be much happier when I can feel them moving!

#125 of 138 Old 06-26-2011, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Well that's good to know.  I'm 9 weeks now, so at least I'm past the most common part.  I'll be much happier when I feel them moving too.  It can't come soon enough.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post

Not trying to freak you (or myself!), out but from what I've read, it can happen at any time during the pregnancy.  It's most common during the first 8 weeks, but that's when most singleton miscarriages occur also.  http://www.americanpregnancy.org/multiples/vanishingtwin.html  The numbers I've seen say it happens in 15-30% of multiple conceptions.  bigeyes.gif

Of course, most people don't know that it's even happened, and the risk goes WAY down after 8 weeks.  I'm not worrying obsessively or anything, but I'll be much happier when I can feel them moving!

Me: 33 PCOS Him: 33 vericocele
13 long years of TTC using various methods before the twins finally came - Too much history to list
IVF #1 11 weeks
IVF #2 Liam and Maisie (now 2 years old)
IVF #3 BFN and no frosties
IVF #4 BFP!!!! Twins again!

#126 of 138 Old 06-28-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Urg. Feeling so crappy this morning. I threw my breakfast up which is the first time that's happened. So far my nausea starts around 2pm and progresses until I puke around 730 pm and drag myself to bed. It's so not ok to start first thing in the morning. So I guess I'm feeling a little sad. This kids have been good though, thank god because it's raining here today and we're all trapped inside. My youngest has started using the potty and is naked from the waist down so we can't really go anywhere anyway.
I'm counting down the hours until my hubby gets home (7) and I can go to bed (9). I'm 10 weeks today and I find that a bit of a miracle! Do you guys remember when we were just 6 weeks along? Time is beginning to go a little faster.
Hope all are doing well!!!!

Sandra + Jeremy keepin' it real with Adelaide (2005) and Watson (2008)
#127 of 138 Old 06-28-2011, 02:04 PM

Oh, Sandra, that suuuucks!  I remember being pregnant with my son and literally just turning on the TV so my daughter wouldn't move and I could sleep on the sofa.  Those were some long day.  Ugh.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#128 of 138 Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 PM

hi all- i hope this a good place to jump in and introduce myself.  it feels like time.

i'm hcm, and i have three great boys.  we're super crunchy unschoolers, and we agonized long and hard over whether or not to have a fourth child.  we really want this baby.

last summer, i was pregnant and due in jan 2011, but i was saddened to learn that it was a molar pregnancy, which actually lead to cancer.  so i didn't get my baby last year, and ended up with an aggressive cancer instead.  it was a really, really difficult experience.

thankfully, i beat the cancer (without chemo, yeah!), and was given the all-clear in march.  in may, we were thrilled to learn we're expecting again, and it's a real baby with a heartbeat this time.  hopefully, everything will be ok.

that's a little bit about the story of this pregnancy.  it got started a year later than expected, after a tough road.  hopefully, i will get to hold my baby in my arms in january, and feel grateful to have things worked out the way they did, with a happy and healthy ending.

i'm glad to be a part of this DDC, and look forward to sharing your journeys, too!

peace!

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#129 of 138 Old 06-29-2011, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Hi everyone, just a quick update (I feel bad I haven't been following the threads but so much is going on right now).  I'm at 12 weeks today!  Yipee!!  I got my first few maternity clothes this week, they are sooooo comfy and CUTE!!   We're finally letting the in-laws tell everyone in town about the pregnancy at their 4th of July picnic. 

DH arrives in Italy today and we're off for a two week babymoon to Tuscany and Amalfi!

And today I graduate... I'm receiving my Montessori Elementary Diploma after 10 months of incredibly hard work and sacrifice! 

Happy happy day... I look forward to catching up now that I'll have a little more time on my hands.  Hope everyone's feeling great and expanding!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

#130 of 138 Old 06-30-2011, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Angela, thanks for the commiseration. I felt sooooo much better yesterday. It really is up and down sometimes!

HCM....hello and welcome!!! Wow! What an amazing story. You have been through so much to get here. I'm glad you beat the cancer! How scary.  I was talking with a friend yesterday about the worry many mom's seem to get once they start having their 3rd (or more) children.  It's been hard for me to shake that thought of "we have two beautiful children, why are we pushing it trying to have a third?" Granted I work as a nurse in a high-risk labor and delivery unit so I see all the stuff that happens, but still, I'm scared that I'm asking for too much.  Have you experienced that feeling at all? And if so how are you able to get past it?  I would really like to put it behind me and enjoy this pregnancy. I feel like this little being deserves more than worry and fear!

Montessori.....CONGRATULATIONS on your graduation!!!!!!!!! Wow!! that must feel sooooooooo good! Have a fantastic time with DH on your vacation!! I must admit, i'm only a little jealous because i feel so crappy I wouldn't be able to enjoy Italy anyway right now.

Sandra + Jeremy keepin' it real with Adelaide (2005) and Watson (2008)
#131 of 138 Old 06-30-2011, 07:16 PM

thanks for the welcome, sandra!  i definitely hear you on the experience of seeing things happen and worrying for yourself.  our firstborn spent his first 5 months hospitalized, fighting for his life, so we're also really familiar with the world of "things-going-terribly-wrong."  thankfully, we are all ok, but so aware of our good fortune.  one really positive thing about the medical crises is that they have brought me and my husband much tighter together.

i don't know if you ever get beyond that first experience of real fear, to return to the point of total trust and bliss in pregnancy.  i certainly don't feel my usual "zen" that i do in pregnancy, at least not yet.  my body totally violated me last time.  but i know that the cancer of last year is over, and that my body doesn't remember it, just my mind.  the experience of last year holds no implications for this baby and this pregnancy, beyond what i feel in my heart.  that is what i need to work to heal.  hopefully once i am further along and feeling the baby moving (versus just feeling sick ALL THE TIME OMG!), i will be find myself more relaxed and feeling "present" and connected in the pregnancy.

i certainly think that it IS possible to see the things you must see in your job, to know the things that could happen, and still move beyond them to a place of optimism and trust.  find patience with yourself, and take time to grow connected to the little one inside... i am sure you will find yourself feeling comfortable and hopeful.

i know that many, many moms here have had struggles of one kind or another.  if not miscarriages and cancer, they've had to endure multiple courses of fertility treatments, or they've seen their children sick or injured, or they've struggled with broken families, or economic hardships.  we've all got a story to tell, and we all should love and support one another, wherever life finds us-  that's what i've learned.

congrats, montessori!  and enjoy the vacation!  italy, wow!

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#132 of 138 Old 07-01-2011, 05:18 AM

HCM - I'm on my second kid post cancer treatment so I totally relate to a lot of what you're saying. I hope you find the Zen-ness soon. smile.gif

Angela
#133 of 138 Old 07-01-2011, 05:43 AM

thanks, angela, and huge congrats to you!  any secrets on finding that elusive place of peace and bliss again?  or do you think we just have to wait to get there, when the time is right?

#134 of 138 Old 07-01-2011, 08:03 AM

Well, I've had one live kid, two miscarriages and this pregnancy post-treatment.  I'm just going to assume that this one is going to come out kicking, too. :)  I don't know how I got to the point of Zen, but the sense of peace certainly has helped.  It helps that my medical team is closely following me...gives me a sense of relief.  I don't know how intervention-ish you are during pregnancy, but I felt *so* much better when I saw the heartbeat - like it's really going to happen.

Angela
#135 of 138 Old 07-01-2011, 10:47 AM

One more week until I get to hear a heartbeat and know for sure that I've got something in there...

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#136 of 138 Old 07-01-2011, 03:14 PM

Hi, all! I haven't been around a lot for awhile. The morning sickness was so killer, I felt like a zombie for weeks! I'm finally feeling better and like a real human being again! Everything is going well. I have sludge in my gallbladder, but no gallstones yet so that is good. Has anyone had experience with this? Is there anything I can do to prevent getting gallstones? I am only 11 weeks, but I swear I feel the baby moving already. I don't remember movement this early with my first two, though.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#137 of 138 Old 07-01-2011, 05:24 PM

inkslinger - Yeek, sorry to hear about the gallbladder.  Hopefully you can get through the pregnancy without any gallstones.  That sounds like it would be miserable.

HCM - Welcome to the DDC.  I'm sorry the last year has been so rough for you, but glad that everything seems to be smoothing out.  I can empathize with the difficulty of finding "peace and bliss".  My first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage.  I was happy and blissful for about 4 weeks, then I started to know that something was wrong.  I had DS with no difficulties or complications, but I was never able to really relax.  It's the same this time around, except now I'm worried just because it's twins.  And, of course, I started spotting yesterday.  It's dark brown, and there are no cramps, but it makes me uneasy.  As much as I wish I could be, I just don't think I'm able to find the zen in pregnancy.  I'm great once the baby is here, but waiting...  It's rough for me.

#138 of 138 Old 07-01-2011, 07:03 PM

yeah, angela- i had to have an early ultrasound to verify that it was actually a baby, because i do run a slight risk of conceiving another molar pregnancy/cancer- so that was nice and assuring.  but aside from some early bloodwork to check hcg levels, that was really the only extra attention i'll be receiving.  does your cancer and cancer treatment hold any implications for pregnancy?  i certainly hope not- i want you to be able to rest in your good health and eventually trust things are ok!

and thanks for the welcome diana- wow, twins!  i certainly understand your worry over spotting.  i'll be eager to hear your updates- you are one of the moms getting frequent ultrasounds, right?  i bet you can't wait for the next one.

inkslinger- gallstones- gah!  that's the last thing you need.  congrats on leaving zombie-ville- i completely relate to that feeling.  i have felt so useless for the last month.  while i don't want to rush pregnancy along, i am so eager for the m/s to end.

hope everyone has a nice, relaxing weekend!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page