June chat thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 138 Old 05-31-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok....here is a little chat thread for us to get to know each other, ramble on about anything, etc.

My name is Sandra and I'm cautiously expecting my 3rd baby. I've have 3 losses in the past the most recent in Feb. and all my fingers and toes are crossed it doesn't happen again. My ultrasound is this Friday. Wish me luck!
No nausea so far which is unusual for me. I had my first in a hospital and 2nd at home which was really nice because I'm a labor and delivery nurse and i prefer not having my babies at work!
Right now I'm fighting off a terrible cold and hope to be able to go back to work soon.

Look forward to chatting with you all!

Sandra + Jeremy keepin' it real with Adelaide (2005) and Watson (2008)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 138 Old 05-31-2011, 08:54 AM

Hi there :) I cant wait to hear about your ultrasound :) Thinking good thoughts!

We are expecting number 7 for our family. It will be my 6th delivering. I have never had a homebirth but would love one. The OB I found though I think will be wonderful and is very easy going and natural minded. The hospital she delilvers out of is smaller so I think its going to be a good experience. I have another appointment on Friday so I figure one appt at a time :)

the nausea is slowly getting better for me. I am so bloated though. I hate it. I am so uncomfy.

We had company this weekend. My "sister" and her 4 kids. We had a ton of fun, we hadnt seen them in almost a year. We had 10 kids and 3 adults oy lol. We hit the beach one day and most of us are all burnt up. I kept the kids home from school today cause they are just miserable. I feel so bad. My shoulders are killing me today lol.

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
#3 of 138 Old 05-31-2011, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Sandra, I'll join you in crossing fingers and toes for healthy babies for all of us!

Mommyofalmost6, Woah!  When do you find time to type with almost 6 kiddos??  You're my hero! :)  Have you tried aloe vera for the burns?  My hubby is white white white and it works wonders when he gets burned.

Hi!  I'm Pilar and this is my first!  DH and I are super excited and we can't wait to tell everyone (but we're waiting... just a few more weeks!!!).  I'm living in Italy because I'm finishing grad school and in 41 days I fly back home to be with my man (but who's counting, right?). 

I really want to go home... Living in Europe was nice but now that I'm pregnant I can't drink, don't want to eat most of the food (tomato sauce makes me want to puke right now), and I just want to buy the type of food I'm used to instead of the kind of food they serve at my boarding house. 

It's sooooooooo nice to find this board because all my friends think I've been possessed by the devil (even those who know I'm pregnant).  I tell them that being pregnant feels like being really hung over with PMS mood swings, while at the same time having eaten some bad oysters and a can of gassy beans. Pretty accurate, don't you think? lol.gif

BennyPai likes this.

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

#4 of 138 Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

Mommyofalmost6, Woah!  When do you find time to type with almost 6 kiddos??  You're my hero! :)  Have you tried aloe vera for the burns?  My hubby is white white white and it works wonders when he gets burned.

Well there are those few loads of laundry that I need to do and those couple that need to be folded... I ignore the laundry so I can hang out on MDC lol. Ok not entierly lol... I hang on facebook too lmao. I am so tired right now that the idea of moving off my couch is just not there. My babies cuddle up with me and we watch netflix and I chill. I do stuff later when I am semi awake and it all works out in the end.  I need to go get some Aloe today, thank you for the reminder!!!!

How is Italy? I would love to visit there. We will never get sent overseas cause our family is to large. I told my husband that he needs to stay in themilitary long enough that we get some of the kids over the age of 18 so we can take an over seas billit lol. He laughed at me. I was only half joking ;) I know what its like to do a count down till you get your husband back 41 days isnt to bad in the big picture! YAY!

BennyPai likes this.

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
#5 of 138 Old 05-31-2011, 10:13 AM

hello all!  I'm christine, expecting our 4th child.   So far everything is going well, I feel sick every 3rd day or so which is perfect, often enough that I don't think "where did my symptoms go?!" but not often enough to frustrate me.  I'm 9w1d today.

I attended a birth over the weekend that was physically and mentally exhausting.  I am still recovering.  At least it was on Sunday so I got to sleep yesterday bc hubby was home for the holiday.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#6 of 138 Old 05-31-2011, 11:12 AM

Hi all. I'm Kay and a first-time mom-to-be living in Seattle. I'll be 6w on Thursday, feeling alright, slightly queasy every now and then, bloated, favoring bland food, emotional. I'm a writer and editor and develop organizations and publications. Thinking a lot about balancing motherhood and career and hoping this lil' embryo will stick.praying.gif

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#7 of 138 Old 05-31-2011, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Hey all. I am Erika and am quite unexpectedly pregnant.... found out a few days after my husband and I decided that we were actually done having children and discussing scheduling  a vasectomy for him. This will be our 4th kid, our other kids are 5, 7, and 9 so there is going to be a big age gap here. We are excited about it, but I just wish I didn't have to feel so crappy during this first trimester! It makes it hard to work and care for my family when I am often holding back gags and falling asleep mid-sentence.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#8 of 138 Old 05-31-2011, 12:15 PM

Hi all!  I'm Jennifer, I'm almost 7 weeks with my second.  My son is 26 months and really wearing me out these days!  Morning sickness hit early with this one, and I have been feeling nauseous, repulsed by food, and totally exhausted since 4.5 weeks.  Sigh, nothing is getting done around here as I sleep anytime my son does and he otherwise keeps me running around!

#9 of 138 Old 05-31-2011, 12:41 PM

I'm Angela and six weeks with my third.  Like Erika, we (well, rather, my husband) thought we were done and had a vasectomy consult scheduled for a few days after the BFP.  It has since been cancelled as I'll now be infertile for a good 1.5 years.

I go back in tomorrow for another round of blood to make sure the betas are rising and then I'll have a dating ultrasound toward the end of June.

My five year old hasn't been told yet.  My guess is we will tell her at the u/s, but that's TBD still.  The one year old couldn't give two hoots about this.  Well, I take that back...I'm considering night-weaning to get more sleep and he might have a thing or two to say about that!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#10 of 138 Old 05-31-2011, 01:00 PM

I'm Rachel and pregnant with our 4th :) Another VERY unplanned pregnancy here but I think I am starting to get excited, or I am still in denial.  One of the 2.  I am *very* nervous about having 4 under 4, but 3 under 3 turned out to be surprisingly easy so here's hoping that trend continues!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#11 of 138 Old 05-31-2011, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm Claire and I'm 7 weeks and 3 days. This is my second and I'm very excited. My DD is 26 months and I swear she's having more attitude just because she realizes I can't handle it! She's being a little pill lately. On top of that, this pregnancy has been a lot more taxing than the last. Morning sickness, so tired, very irritable. My husband keeps saying he wishes this pregnancy was like my last one! I run a blog about breastfeeding and natural parenting and am doing posts about having a natural pregnancy. DD is still nursing (though night weaned thankfully). 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#12 of 138 Old 05-31-2011, 03:56 PM

Hi! I'm Lara. 6w4d here. This is my fourth pregnancy(two blighted ovums and DS 19mo.). DS, DH, and I have recently moved back to the States after spending most of our lives in Europe. DH is active duty Army and I'm an LPN -turned-SAHM. Nausea just arted a couple of days ago, but the fatigue has been around since 3w5.

#13 of 138 Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 PM

Rachel--Wow, 4 under 4. You are one strong mama!

Don't have time to respond to each of you by turn, but I am enjoying learning about everyone!  Much more fun to know something about each other.

I'm expecting #2, still BFing and co-sleeping with my 20mo. A little nervous about making the transition to 2 kids, especially since my son is still a super-clingy-mama-monkey.  I'm 35 and will be just 36 when this babe is born, so we were feeling a little time pressure to have the next one, or I might have waited a bit longer.  Anyway, I'm a SAHM and love it. My "past" life was as a photographer and an art historian.  I'm 6 and a half weeks, I'll feel much better after my u/s this coming Monday when I will hopefully see the heartbeat. I had a lot of spotting early on and it made me really nervous, so even though I feel plenty pg now (nauseated, bloated, irritable, etc) it will be good to have that confirmation that everything is fine.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#14 of 138 Old 05-31-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyofalmost6 View Post

Quote:

Well there are those few loads of laundry that I need to do and those couple that need to be folded... I ignore the laundry so I can hang out on MDC lol. Ok not entierly lol... I hang on facebook too lmao. I am so tired right now that the idea of moving off my couch is just not there. My babies cuddle up with me and we watch netflix and I chill. I do stuff later when I am semi awake and it all works out in the end.  I need to go get some Aloe today, thank you for the reminder!!!!

How is Italy? I would love to visit there. We will never get sent overseas cause our family is to large. I told my husband that he needs to stay in themilitary long enough that we get some of the kids over the age of 18 so we can take an over seas billit lol. He laughed at me. I was only half joking ;) I know what its like to do a count down till you get your husband back 41 days isnt to bad in the big picture! YAY!

Italy has been great!  I've been here since August 2010 and it's been amazing to be able to travel around Europe, learn Italian, eat delicious food and explore their history.  Living in Europe is very different from visiting, so if you can wing it down the road when your kiddos are older, I say go for it!!  :) 

It's so nice to get to know everyone and to know that we're going to be on this roller-coaster ride together for the next 9 months... And then the real fun starts!  It's also comforting to have some veterans, because I know close to NOTHING about this whole birthing thing... Kids, I can handle (I'm a Montessori teacher) but the pregnancy and birthing makes me queezy (wait, maybe that's m/s??).

I wish everyone a light-symptom day!

#15 of 138 Old 06-01-2011, 05:39 AM

I'm hoping for a light-symptom day too.  I was SO nauseated yesterday and I had a headache and I got a big deli pickle with my dinner, i knew that it was going to be the perfect cold crispy vinegary thing for me, and my husband ate it!

I was like "why would you eat a pickle you didn't order?" "I thought you ordered it for me!"  ummmm... no. but thanks for eating my pickle.  hrmph.

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#16 of 138 Old 06-01-2011, 08:51 AM

Pilar--I'd love to live in Italy someday! I lived in London for a year after my undergrad and my DH is from Israel (where is family still lives) so we travel often. Although a little less often now with a toddler!  Anyway, I know the urge to be home must be strong now though.  Just thought I'd mention that I felt a lot like you last time, not nervous at all about taking care of a baby/child (I was a nanny for years), but really nervous about the whole labor and delivery part. Turns out that I LOVED giving birth!  Yes it was intense and yes it was painful, but as soon as labor started for me I was transported to this place of trusting my body and being totally in the moment.  I never had a moment of fear once labor started.  Of course then I found the first 4 months with a baby and BFing really difficult and wished I had prepared better for THAT!  Just my experience, but thought I'd share.  My advice (even though it's early) is to avoid bad/scary/sad birth stories and to surround yourself with positive ones. Anything that reaffirms your own trust in your body is good--Hypnobirth, prenatal yoga, any book by Ina May Gaskin, the movie "Orgasmic Birth", etc.   

Christine--ugh, I hate it when DH eats something I was specifically saving/craving!  

Hope for a light symptom day myself.  I find if I make myself eat a big breakfast then that sets the day up better.  But sometimes it's hard to choke it down. . .or it tastes really good at first and then halfway through I feel like, YUCK.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#17 of 138 Old 06-01-2011, 09:54 AM

i'm totally the opposite, even though i wake up starving, if i eat a big breakfast I am sick the rest of the day.  

#18 of 138 Old 06-01-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post

Pilar--I'd love to live in Italy someday! I lived in London for a year after my undergrad and my DH is from Israel (where is family still lives) so we travel often. Although a little less often now with a toddler!  Anyway, I know the urge to be home must be strong now though.  Just thought I'd mention that I felt a lot like you last time, not nervous at all about taking care of a baby/child (I was a nanny for years), but really nervous about the whole labor and delivery part. Turns out that I LOVED giving birth!  Yes it was intense and yes it was painful, but as soon as labor started for me I was transported to this place of trusting my body and being totally in the moment.  I never had a moment of fear once labor started.  Of course then I found the first 4 months with a baby and BFing really difficult and wished I had prepared better for THAT!  Just my experience, but thought I'd share.  My advice (even though it's early) is to avoid bad/scary/sad birth stories and to surround yourself with positive ones. Anything that reaffirms your own trust in your body is good--Hypnobirth, prenatal yoga, any book by Ina May Gaskin, the movie "Orgasmic Birth", etc.   

Christine--ugh, I hate it when DH eats something I was specifically saving/craving!  

Hope for a light symptom day myself.  I find if I make myself eat a big breakfast then that sets the day up better.  But sometimes it's hard to choke it down. . .or it tastes really good at first and then halfway through I feel like, YUCK.

Kismetbaby - I loved your advice!  Thank you!  That's exactly what I wanted/needed to hear. :)  I have a strong trust in my body, which is why I'm planning a home birth and minimal interventions during the pregnancy.  And yes, I'm totally staying away from those scary stories everyone seems to want to share.  And yes, I'm freaking out about the breast-feeding, and about how my relationship wth my husband will change when the baby comes... But I'm going to enjoy every minute of it at the same time because it's something I've wanted for so long!

Christine - Oh no, NOT the pickle!!!  I can totally understand your craving; I have been putting vinegar on EVERYTHING these days.  You should have sent your husband out to get you a whole jar of them!

OK, you guys want to hear something funny/messed up/ironic?  The whole year that I've been in grad school I have been hoping and praying for a job at my dream Montessori school when I got back to San Diego.  By April, it was pretty much certain that it wouldn't happen this year, which is why I went ahead and got myself knocked up.  Well, I've been pregnant for, oh, three weeks now, and what do I get in my inbox today???  AN AMAZING JOB OFFER at the dream schoolbiglaugh.gifYeah.  Uh-huh.  Talk about bad timing... I mean, I'm thrilled that I'm pregnant because if I had gotten the offer before April I probably would've taken it and then I would've postponed having kids for at least 2 more years, which would've put me at about 37 years old and all that ... And we really really wanted to start a family!  But yet, it's such a shock... Just when I was starting to wrap my head around my new pregnant/mommy identity, here comes my other identity to haunt me... *sigh* 

Is anyone else struggling/did anyone else struggle with switching "identities" when they got pregnant/had kids???  I know I did the right thing in getting pregnant, but I'm feeling so torn... Oh well, the school's director loves me and she'll love me two years from now when I'm ready to go back to work, right?  :)  I just needed to vent and work this out in my head... blahblah.gif  Thanks for reading ladies!  joy.gif

#19 of 138 Old 06-01-2011, 12:04 PM

^^^ You want to talk about identity crisis wait until your kid is older and you no longer have a first name...you're just known as "C's mom" wherever you go.  It's an odd feeling.  And, dammit, I used to be a known professional in my community!

I went to the OB for my second batch of bloodwork today and was instead pulled into an ultrasound.  We have a heartbeat!!  Woot!  Now, the whole thing was weird as I had both kids with me and we haven't told the daughter yet so everybody was all covert during conversations and a pap.  My lord it was nuts.  But now I feel like it's official and I can start being excited. :)

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#20 of 138 Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 PM

Pilar, I totally hear you about the whole identity changing roller coaster. I am on track to get promoted at work and now that I am pregnant, I have no idea how that is going to happen. I told the dean of the school where I work, which some of my friends said was a bad idea not to wait until I was further along, but I didn't want them to go through all of the work to promote me only to have me announce that I am going on maternity leave. I'm hoping the timing Goddess will work in my favor. Every time I see the dean in the hallway, I wonder if she is disappointed in me. Yikes, I must work on promoting more positive vibes about the sisterhood at work. I hoping to go back to work 4 days a week after my FMLA time is over, but time will tell. Good luck with your transition. And the one thing I know about job offers, is that if you get selected for one, you will get selected for another when the time is right.

Kismetbaby, thanks for the wise words about trusting your body during birth. I'm so excited to learn more about putting trust in my body using hypnobirthing and taking classes. I'm lucky living in Seattle in that I get to attend birthing classes that are taught by Penny Simkin. I made sure to sign up almost as soon as I was pregnant because they fill up so quickly. A good friend of my is going to hospital birth route and likes to quote statistics about the dangers of birthing at home or at a center. It's hard not to listen to all of the fear out there.

AFM, I'm a hormonal mess. God bless my DH as he helped me work through some work-related crap yesterday. How are the rest of you handling the hormonal craziness that is the first trimester?

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#21 of 138 Old 06-01-2011, 01:04 PM

I'd like to join in. I'm 6.5 weeks today (I'm not sure of my exact due date) and expecting baby #4. My other three were all natural hospital births and I will also be having this baby in the hospital where I work as a labor and delivery nurse. I'm having some nausea and many food aversions, and I'm craving cherries like there is no tomorrow. I'm also completely exhausted and feeling sort of overwhelmed at the idea of FOUR children but I'm happy to be pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post

I like this advice. I would also read "Birthing from Within" it is one of my favorite books to suggest to pregnant friends or patients.  My coworkers are always shocked and some are downright dismissive that I give birth naturally, but I just think it's the right way to have a baby. Yes, contractions hurt and are strong, but women are stronger. As crazy as it sounds I really enjoy labor. Not the pain, but the way it just brings out your primal emotions and instincts, and with a natural birth I just don't think there's anything better than that moment at the end when you see your baby for the first time, and the pain is gone, and nothing else exists in the world except you and this tiny person and the amazing journey you've just gone through to meet each other. It's so beautiful and so worth it.

BennyPai likes this.

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

#22 of 138 Old 06-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Dea

Hi  everyone!

I'm Dea. 

This is my 3rd, and I'm so excited to be here. 

I posted a hello thread a couple of minutes ago, should have come here first!  HA!

My first two babies were planned homebirths, but I didn't get one either time.  #2 was a VBAC though!  Which I am so proud of.  I had to fight for it during labour.  

I can't wait to get to know everyone here!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#23 of 138 Old 06-01-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanSprout Mama View Post

As crazy as it sounds I really enjoy labor. Not the pain, but the way it just brings out your primal emotions and instincts, and with a natural birth I just don't think there's anything better than that moment at the end when you see your baby for the first time, and the pain is gone, and nothing else exists in the world except you and this tiny person and the amazing journey you've just gone through to meet each other. It's so beautiful and so worth it.

Beautifully put, and I totally agree!

BennyPai likes this.

#24 of 138 Old 06-01-2011, 02:08 PM

Beanstroutmama--totally agree and I like Birthing from Within too.

writinglove (Kay)-- I am super irritable while pg. . .I had forgotten about that until this past weekend. I felt so guilty for being such a b*$*@ and then remembered it's just the hormones! LOL Luckily my DH is very forgiving, but I feel badly when it affects my son who doesn't understand. I guess I'm just trying to make sure I have some time for my own headspace each day. . .to breath a bit. . .

Oh, and I am super-super jealous you get to take class with Penny Simpkin!!!! At least I can feel cool that I grew up in NM the home of MDC! :)

Pilar-- as for the BFing and PP time, I'd just make sure you set yourself up with a lot of support for right after the baby is born. Make connection in LLL, seek out a lactation consultant in advance, consider hiring a PP doula, have friends or family ready and willing to come and bring food.  I kinda though, oh, one baby and two adults we'll be fine. But you're so, so tired and hormonal and IF BFing is challenging then everything just seems hard.  But hey, maybe you won't have the experince I did and will be blissful during your babymoon (I was just stressed!). I also plan to encapsulate my placenta this time to help with the PP moods (I cried all. the. time.).

Anyway, lots of that can be worried about later!

As for career and identity. . .it's a hard one. There are no clear-cut answers.  I had *just* finished my MA when my son was born and watched all my cohorts go on to PhDs and jobs and such, while I chose to be a SAHM.  I realize it will be more difficult to get back in the game. . .but for me, it's worth it. No career is more important than my children and the time when they need you 100% is so tiny really.  The identity thing is a little trickier. . .it's harder to retain sense of yourself as someone other than "mama".  But I've found that the older and more independent my son gets the more it comes back, and I do love my identity as his mommy too.  It can be lonely I've found, but it's also forced me (as a shy person) to reach out and find community that I never would have before.

#25 of 138 Old 06-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Hi ladies. I'm Renee and I'm almost 8 weeks with my first. I feel pretty good...I have bouts of nausea and exhaustion here and there, but nothing too bad. I'm a grad student who was set to graduate by May 2012, but since this little one decided to plant itself on our first try, I'm shooting for graduation by December. Eep! I live in a one bedroom apartment that I actually love with my hubby, but of course now that we have a babe on the way we're forced to look to find something bigger. We found an amazing old Victorian house that is basically perfect, but we have to room with another couple in order to afford it. They are very low-maintenance and sweet, but the thought of giving up our own space is hard to cope with. This has been my major stress lately, because I want to live in a bigger house, but we simply can't afford it on our own, so I'm hoping that the rooming situation works well.

Hope you don't mind my crashing your party!

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#26 of 138 Old 06-01-2011, 02:29 PM

I've been continuing to think about these conversations and my experience with my first-born--it's bringing a lot back for me that I haven't thought of in a while.  I'm so glad that what I said may have touched some of you and/or be of some help.  So here is the most concise advice I have (for what it's worth):

Pg and birth--  Trust that your body knows what it's doing.

Postpartum--   Don't be afraid to ask for help, lots of it!

#27 of 138 Old 06-01-2011, 03:04 PM

My biggest shock was postpartum for sure!  I put so much into pregnancy and planning for labour, and really assumed mothering would just come naturally.  I had played a huge role in raising my brother (15 years younger) and had been a nanny for many years, so thought I had been through it all.

Well, I had been through a lot....and some of it has helped...but I was still blown away by being a mom!  It really is beyond full-time, and the emotions (good and bad) are so overwhelming.  There is a lot more pressure on every little decision too when it's your own and you worry that everything is going to mess them up.  By about 6 months I had gotten over a lot of that, but for a while I truly felt every decision was life changing and really took criticism from family/doctors/friends to heart.

Also, I thought breastfeeding would come way easier than it did.  We struggled for a good 4 months before hitting our stride, now DS and I are still going strong at 26 months.  My biggest regret in pregnancy was that I didn't go to LLL meetings!  I let friends and family convince me that LLL was too militant and would pressure me too much.  When I took DS to a meeting when he was 6 weeks, it totally wasn't the case, and we ended up members.  I only wish I had found the support before having the baby, as I know now that the leaders could have helped me right from the start!  

I had already dealt with not living up to expectations after I graduated from teacher's college.  Jobs are hard to come by around here, and I didn't try to hard...I did nanny work for a couple years before getting pregnant.  I liked nannying more than teaching actually.  But many people think I was wasting my talent and education.  Now that I'm a SAHM I come up against the same kinds of attitudes.  But I love being at home.  Also, I know that I can change my mind, and sometimes remind people of that when they are concerned.  It's really tough to be a mom I think....we're so judgmental...if you work, you're bad for ditching your kids, if you stay home, you're bad for not contributing to the workplace and putting your professional goals first.  

#28 of 138 Old 06-01-2011, 03:43 PM

Milomama--wow, we have really similar experiences! I also have a sibling 15 years younger who I felt like I practically raised and was a nanny for years. But I too was surprised to have a difficult PP period and lots of trouble with BFing--for the first 2 months it was pure hell and didn't really feel like it was truly comfortable or natural till about 4m.  (But now I am still happily BFing my 20mo and am so so glad I stuck with it!) And yeah, it wasn't till my son was btw 6 and 9m that I felt like I was finally hitting my stride.  Anyway, I really hope that it is easier the second time around!

#29 of 138 Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 PM

Hey I am Sarah, I have two daughters and one foster daughter.  This pregnancy was unplanned, but not to unexpected.  We have been wanting to have another one, but were planning to wait to TTC until the fall.  Dh is in Nursing school and will be graduating next May.  The plan was to wait until the fall so we could have the baby after school was out.  January isn't to bad though, since he does have a winter break that month.  I am doing foster care right now, but the little girl we have will be going back home to her mom next month and I don't know if they put another placement with us due to the pregnancy.  We can't afford to move into a bigger place right now, and they only allow two in a room and 1 baby rooming with the parents.  We worked so hard on the certification and I am really bummed that this will most likely be coming to a close for at least a year.  Our foster daughter will be greatly missed, but it sure is nice to be part of a success story.

Today I woke up with no morning sickness and with a raging appetite.  I ate seconds at every meal and had snacks in between.  It was a wonderful reprieve, I'm sure I will go back to hating all food tomorrow LOL.  Just a quick intro is all I have time for right now, but will be back later.  Didn't get my nap today and I am super tired.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#30 of 138 Old 06-01-2011, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorn View Post

I'm hoping for a light-symptom day too.  I was SO nauseated yesterday and I had a headache and I got a big deli pickle with my dinner, i knew that it was going to be the perfect cold crispy vinegary thing for me, and my husband ate it!

I was like "why would you eat a pickle you didn't order?" "I thought you ordered it for me!"  ummmm... no. but thanks for eating my pickle.  hrmph.

I also hate it when my husband won't let me get something I really want. Today I wanted an apple turnover, but my husband told me no because we were already getting me the sandwich I was craving (I've been eating way too much junk lately because the only way to avoid nausea is to eat exactly what my body is craving). 

So I'm leaving tomorrow for a 7 hour drive (likely to be longer because of all the stops we'll be making) being nearly 8 weeks pregnant and with a 2 year old. This is going to be fuuuuuuuun. Any tips for traveling while nauseous, peeing a lot, and incredibly exhausted?

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page