Appointment Updates - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 06-01-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies!  What do you think of an appointment updates thread?  Go ahead and update here if you so choose.  :)

I had my first real doctor appointment today, at 9w3d.  I was told it would probably be too early to hear a heartbeat with the Doppler, but he found it.  We did have an early u/s (due to a recent miscarriage) and saw it beating, but it was a such a wonderful sound to actually hear!  It feels more real now than ever and I'm starting to get really excited.

--Dana

#2 of 32 Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 PM

awesome update!

I don't have another appointment for a few weeks.  I'm having the nuchal scan done in 2 weeks (I will be 11w3d) and then I have a regular OB appointment the week after that.  I have seen the heartbeat already, but I hate the early part with all the waiting before you can feel movement.  

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#3 of 32 Old 06-01-2011, 08:45 PM

Aw, that's great that you got to hear the heartbeat...that's such a special moment smile.gif. I have my first appointment with the midwife on Friday. I will be 6 weeks 2 days. She said it's an hour and a half of paperwork, medical history etc. The thing is, my last period was super light and short so now I'm thinking it could have been spotting and I might be 10 weeks.? Not sure but I want to find out at my appointment.

Linz- Army wife and Momma to Jack (June '08) and Timmy (July '10) expecting baby #3 January 2012
#4 of 32 Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!  I was amazed how hearing the heartbeat on the Doppler pulled on my heart strings so much more than the ultrasound.  It was indeed a wonderful moment!

Thorn, we must be really close.  My due date is New Year's Day, but if my daughter was any indication (18 days late), I'm not expecting a baby until January is firmly established.  :)

Linz3, I hope your appointment/paperwork goes well tomorrow and you find out if you're farther along than you think!

--Dana

#5 of 32 Old 06-03-2011, 06:23 AM

I simply love hearing the heartbeat!

I saw a heartbeat on Wed at 6w0d, but my OB's office doesn't have an u/s machine with sound.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#6 of 32 Old 06-03-2011, 11:36 AM

We finally settled on a midwife earlier this week.  Have to go do bloodwork before my first official appointment.  She'll be giving it a go with the doppler at that appointment.  :)

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#7 of 32 Old 06-09-2011, 06:51 AM

we had our first ob appt yesterday.  we love our ob!!!  she has been with us for all three pregnancies.  she gave us a dating u/s and we got to see our lil baby on the screen!  at 10w5d he or she really looks like a baby - bopping all around and waving arms and legs.  SO cute.  :)

next appt is on june 27th.  dp has hg again and needs her weight monitored. 

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#8 of 32 Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 AM

I saw my midwife last week. She was my midwife with my last baby too, and we work together, so I knew exactly what to expect. No doppler yet. Between my retroverted uterus and my extra fluff I am sure we won't hear the heartbeat for another month or two. I do have a dating ultrasound today though and I'm so excited to see our baby!

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

#9 of 32 Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

I had a routine appointment today, but it ended up being a really great one!  First, the midwife couldn't find the heartbeat with the Doppler, so she brought in the ultrasound machine.  I have never seen an ultrasound of a baby at this stage before (I'm 13w3d today-- yay, second trimester!).  The features were so pronounced but the baby is still so tiny!  The most amazing part was that the baby was already moving around like crazy, which explained why we couldn't hear the heartbeat with the Doppler and why I'm already feeling movement consistently.  It was a very special moment.

Also, my daughter was there and the midwife was great with her.  She even let my daughter hear her "baby's" heartbeat with the Doppler-- because of course she is pregnant too. ;)  And we had a good talk about birthing after a rough experience the first time around. 

I wasn't expecting much from today's appointment, but it sure was a nice surprise.  My husband is disappointed he decided to sit this one out.

chilichiki likes this.
#10 of 32 Old 06-29-2011, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Had my first appointment with the actual doctor today. After a couple of minutes, I got to hear a wonderful, strong heartbeat  160BPM!!

Was also informed that my routine pap exam that I had two weeks ago showed that I have a bacteria infection (I wish I could remember now exactly what it was).  Doctor says I need to take medicine for it because it can cause premature rupture of the membranes, but then informed me he couldn't give it to me until I was 13 weeks along because it could effect the baby. Also told me not to worry in the mean time.  Easier said than done!!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#11 of 32 Old 06-30-2011, 04:09 AM

we had our second ob appt on monday.  dp's weight loss seems to have levelled off a little so we don't need to come back for another 4 weeks!  ob was able to find our baby's heartbeat fairly easily, yay!  we are officially in the second trimester now so after our appt we started telling family and friends.  everyone thinks we are crazy!!

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#12 of 32 Old 06-30-2011, 08:05 AM

~~

had a midwife appt yesterday... tried to hear heartbeat but unsuccessful. that was kind of a bummer. im ~11wk 4 days so not too worried. I feel prettty nauseous (more than ive been) and my placenta sounded good at least :) going to try again next week and then i think im going to do a US if we cant get it then. i really just want to hear that gallop. all seemed well to her though.

#13 of 32 Old 06-30-2011, 11:19 AM

Had my second appointment with the midwife last week at 9w5d. The first appointment was the chit-chat and blood work variety at 6w3d. The tests came back well(I only get the routine ones the hospital requires). Had a Pap(Ouch!) and an ultrasound. Got to hear the heartbeat and see the bean in action joy.gif! Also the baby measured 10w1d so my due date has been adjusted. Next appointment in four weeks. So great to read about all the heartbeats/great appointments/healthy beans and mamas!

#14 of 32 Old 07-15-2011, 03:54 PM

Finally went to the midwife at 11w5d.  Just chit chat, blood and urine work, everything was good.  I've gained 6 pounds so far, can feel the uterus moving up (yay!).  I wanted to go low to no tech this pregnancy... but I think I might not be able to resist using the doppler at my next appt to see if we can find the heartbeat.  I really want to hear my baby!!!

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#15 of 32 Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 PM

I'm 15 weeks now and first went to the midwife at 12 weeks and heard the heartbeat. We decided to do the First trimester screening test so I had an ultrasound at 13 weeks 6d--super cute. At 12 weeks I hadn't gained any weight, and they thought that was alright, but here I am at 15 weeks and no weight gain! Yet I had to buy maternity pants and have to "disguise" my stomach because I haven't told anyone at work/school yet. Is this normal? I have an appointment next week so I can check there, but if anyone has had a similar experience, I'd love to hear about it--this is my first!

thanks!!

#16 of 32 Old 07-16-2011, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I don't know if this counts as "appointment" but I had a meeting with two different midwives this week, and I'm certain I found the perfect one!!  She's an acupuncturist as well as a midwife, and she's been delivering babies for 20+ years!  She uses a fetoscope (except for labor) and shares ALL my pregnancy and birthing beliefs!  She was super chill about pregnancy and made me feel like it was something my body was designed to do.  I can't wait for my first actual appointment!!  What a relief!!

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#17 of 32 Old 07-16-2011, 06:19 PM

Hdang, are you on the heavy side? If you are, it's totally normal to gain little or no weight, especially early on. I gained 10lbs with ds1, none with ds2, 5 with ds3 & I've really been fluctuating this time, but last I checked I was about where I started.

I tried to get a referral for an ultrasound, but the dr at Medi-Centre wouldn't give me one, so I'll ask my gp when I see him about the blood work results for my thyroid test. If he won't give me one either, the only option I can think of it to go to the ER and tell them I've been cramping. Probably wouldn't even be a lie, I've had actual contractions a few times already, most likely due to dehydration. I've never had issues with this before & I drink loads even when I'm not pregnant, so no clue why it's such an issue this time around.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#18 of 32 Old 07-17-2011, 07:38 AM

We had our first midwife appointment a few weeks ago when I was 11 weeks (I'm now 14 weeks). We gave her the paperwork that we had already filled out. Skipped blood work because we have no risk factors, therefore I deem it unnecessary. I peed on a stick (for protein and what not) and I was weighed. We talked about my reservations with using doppler and ultrasound, but I decided to use it just this once to clear my head. Since my midwife knew about my reservations, she felt around for "the bulk of the baby" before putting the doppler on and sure thing, heartbeat right away. And that was it. Love my midwife. :-D

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#19 of 32 Old 07-17-2011, 11:02 AM

I'm not on the heavy side, weighed 132 pre-preg and gained only 1 pound 15 weeks later! No morning sickness at all and appetite is raging.

#20 of 32 Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

I don't know if this counts as "appointment" but I had a meeting with two different midwives this week, and I'm certain I found the perfect one!!  She's an acupuncturist as well as a midwife, and she's been delivering babies for 20+ years!  She uses a fetoscope (except for labor) and shares ALL my pregnancy and birthing beliefs!  She was super chill about pregnancy and made me feel like it was something my body was designed to do.  I can't wait for my first actual appointment!!  What a relief!!

So happy for you! Our midwives are both exactly like that....it is so lovely.
#21 of 32 Old 07-17-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdang View Post

I'm not on the heavy side, weighed 132 pre-preg and gained only 1 pound 15 weeks later! No morning sickness at all and appetite is raging.

I'm of average height/weight and didn't gain with my first two until I was almost in the middle of the second trimester - even though I clearly looked pregnant.  This time I've gained a few pounds already (I'm 12w5d) because my milk dried and that natural weightloss (nursing) stopped.  *IMO*, it's normal to not gain until you're further along, but every person is different in this regard.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#22 of 32 Old 07-18-2011, 04:20 PM

Great idea for a thread!

I'm just starting 15 weeks.  We had our first midwife appt at 12 weeks and heard the heartbeat.  So awesome!!!  :D  Our next appt is next week.  I'll need to talk to our midwife about gestational diabetes, as I just found out my mother has type 2. (I didnt know this at our first appt, I dont have contact with my mother)  I admit, I am concerned, as I did start this pregnancy carrying an extra 15 lbs more than I've ever been.  

Hdang - I haven't gained any weight either.  I actually lost 5lbs in that first month (lots of vomitting and nausea).  I think b/c that once my appetite came back I've been making much healthier choices in what I eat so even though I've lost, baby is still growing.  :)  

I'm still amazed at how far along I already am!  :)

#23 of 32 Old 07-19-2011, 07:15 PM

thanks so much, that is so helpful. I was getting worried that I wasn't eating enough, but couldn't believe that was possible, since I am constantly eating!

#24 of 32 Old 07-19-2011, 07:33 PM

I started out at 130 and have yet to gain more than a couple of pounds at 15 weeks... yet with a definite belly ;) I think I may have just lost weight elsewhere perhaps. I added a few more yoga classes since finding out I was pregnant and am overall eating better. First baby too... I am trying to reassure myself that it's normal (and baby is only supposed to weigh a few ounces right now anyways!)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#25 of 32 Old 07-20-2011, 09:51 AM

I'm 16w2d, had an appointment today, Dr. is guessing boy smile.gif  I hadn't gained at all at my last appt and am now up 4lbs, at least half of which is in my boobs which finally got the memo I was pregnant again wink1.gif

My anatomy scan and my next appointment are both on the same day in 4 weeks, so I will get a for-sure sex that day, but from the pictures I think he is probably right and it's another boy!

#26 of 32 Old 07-20-2011, 09:53 AM

Gah!  I seriously can't believe we're getting close to the half-way mark already!  That freaks me out!

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#27 of 32 Old 07-27-2011, 09:28 AM

we had an ob appt today!  heard the heartbeat, uterus measuring on track and blood pressure great at 108/66!!  dp had blood drawn to check her thyroid hormones.

our next appt and 20 week u/s are set for monday august 15th!!!  wheeeeeeeeeee!  :)

g

#28 of 32 Old 07-27-2011, 10:04 AM

Saw my MW yesterday. Heard the heartbeat. I managed to loose 6 pounds from the previous appointment (guess a diet of smoothies and bland foods isn't as high in calories as I imagined). I'm looking forward to having my appetite back. My blood pressure is good. DH and I hemmed and hawed over the cystic fibrosis and neural tube defect tests, without making a decision. Cervix length looks good. Seems so far so good.

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#29 of 32 Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 PM

Had my check up today with the doctor.  Discussed some of the blood work I had done and that I am a carried for Cystic Fibrosis ( I had found this out about five months ago when the infertility docs were doing tests on me, so no real surprise there!)  Then my doctor informs me that he wants my husband and I to go and see a perinatal specialist about two hours away to discuss the possibility of CF.   Sort of annoyed me that he was already pushing for the appointment with the other doctor when my husband has yet to be tested to determine if HE is a carrier as well...

So- tomorrow it is my husband's job to call his primary and get them to do a blood test.  It's all sort of annoying.  Can't figure out why my OBGYN cannot give him the blood tests themselves...would make everything so much easier!

Until then, we are going to hold off on making the appointment with the specialist.  I have decided if my husband tests negative, we will not go.  I just do not see the point.  Fingers cross that he isn't a carrier!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#30 of 32 Old 07-27-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilichiki View Post

Had my check up today with the doctor.  Discussed some of the blood work I had done and that I am a carried for Cystic Fibrosis ( I had found this out about five months ago when the infertility docs were doing tests on me, so no real surprise there!)  Then my doctor informs me that he wants my husband and I to go and see a perinatal specialist about two hours away to discuss the possibility of CF.   Sort of annoyed me that he was already pushing for the appointment with the other doctor when my husband has yet to be tested to determine if HE is a carrier as well...

So- tomorrow it is my husband's job to call his primary and get them to do a blood test.  It's all sort of annoying.  Can't figure out why my OBGYN cannot give him the blood tests themselves...would make everything so much easier!

Until then, we are going to hold off on making the appointment with the specialist.  I have decided if my husband tests negative, we will not go.  I just do not see the point.  Fingers cross that he isn't a carrier!

Hey there! I too am a carrier for CF, my husband is not. I had no idea until I got pregnant with our first baby. When we found out, my husband had his blood checked at his doctors office and my OB also suggested we see a specialist -- we ended up going but it was unnecessary. All of our children have a 50-50 chance of being carriers. My fingers are crossed for you too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page