Baby movement, already!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 06-11-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Last night I was curled up sideways on the couch watching a movie and I'm sure I felt the baby move!  This is my second pregnancy and I felt it early with my daughter as well, but it was definitely later than this.  With her it was more of a poke, but this was more like the baby turned. I'm almost eleven weeks along (due the 1/1, so the farthest along I can be for this DDC), but I've read other accounts of mothers feeling movement this early, especially mothers who already have kids. I know where my uterus is, where the baby is, and what the movement feels like, so I'm sure I'm not mistaking something else for baby movement.  Wow!  I wasn't expecting it for quite awhile, so it was a really big and welcome surprise!

Anyone else??

--Dana

#2 of 28 Old 06-11-2011, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With my first I think I felt movement around the same time - maybe more like 12 weeks.  

It was just a little "tap tap tap" like he was knocking on a door.   With my second I can't even remember when i first felt movement but it was later.  but i was also caring for and cosleeping with a 1 year old, so not much opportunity for stillness lol.gif  I'm 10 weeks today, with a full bladder and laying on my back i have that little mound peeking up love.gif

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#3 of 28 Old 06-11-2011, 01:21 PM

I felt my last two babies at 11 weeks along. I can't wait---should be in the next week or two now! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#4 of 28 Old 06-11-2011, 04:19 PM

Wow, I didn't feel my first till 17wks (and it was also that little tap, tap, tap). I am hoping to feel this one earlier. . .but I'm only 8wks and apparently my baby is only the size of a kidney bean, so I think it will still be awhile.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#5 of 28 Old 06-12-2011, 07:24 AM

I've thought I've felt mine this week.  I'm also 11 weeks today.  It wasn't like the little fluttery movements I remember feeling later on, more like they were rolling over, or turning.  I'm not exactly sure what it was, but I know I was feeling babies and not gas!

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
#6 of 28 Old 06-12-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, that's exactly what I felt-- a rolling, turning sensation!  I haven't felt it again after Friday night.  Now I don't know if I'm imagining other flutters or if they're real, but I can't wait to feel baby movement definitively again!  Suddenly this pregnancy feels very real, like there's really two of us.  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post

I've thought I've felt mine this week.  I'm also 11 weeks today.  It wasn't like the little fluttery movements I remember feeling later on, more like they were rolling over, or turning.  I'm not exactly sure what it was, but I know I was feeling babies and not gas!

#7 of 28 Old 06-12-2011, 01:36 PM

How exciting! I can't wait to feel movement.

#8 of 28 Old 06-12-2011, 11:46 PM

I felt my 2nd son around 12 weeks & dh felt him around 15 weeks. He's still the most...enthusiastic of my kids. The other 2 were both later.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#9 of 28 Old 06-14-2011, 01:53 AM

Which month along pregnancy the mother can feel that the baby is moving?

eDPfp8.png

#10 of 28 Old 06-15-2011, 07:58 PM

"they" say it's around 20 weeks but all 3 of mine have been way before that. I felt the first movements around 15 weeks with both DD and DS1, and I swear I felt flutters at about 12.5 weeks with DS2. I'm only 8 weeks right now so it will probably be another month or two before I feel it this time, but it definitely was before 20 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel23 View Post

Which month along pregnancy the mother can feel that the baby is moving?

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

#11 of 28 Old 06-16-2011, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

I think it was in the 15th week I felt movement with my first, and I read it should be 16 to 20 weeks.  I guess because I know what to expect this time I felt the movement really early, way earlier than I thought possible (it was 10 weeks 5 days), but many other women I've found on online forums have described the same thing in second or later pregnancies.  It sure was a fun surprise!  And I have no doubt what it is.  

#12 of 28 Old 06-16-2011, 08:22 PM

That brings up a question I've had...  Ever since I had my first, I've always felt a lot more going on down there, even when I wasn't pregnant.  Now, I'm finding myself wondering if I'm going to be able to differenciate between early baby movements and air bubbles in the intestines.  Is it common after your first, to get more feeling in that area?

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#13 of 28 Old 06-17-2011, 01:28 PM

I think it is, it is for me.(to feel more going on in the lower abdomen, esp for me after a c/s) I felt "phantom kicks" which were actually my looser bowels etc. even before we got pg again. but I *did* feel dd1 at about 12 weeks. we were camping and i was laying very still flat on my back and felt a distinctive poke. No one believed me. By 14 weeks she was pretty roudy and dh had felt her too while doing reiki on my abdomen. she is still a mover and  shaker lol

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#14 of 28 Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 AM

I'm pretty sure I felt some movement this last week, too. The first time I had a full bladder and I felt one "kick", then the next day I was lying on my belly with my bed hanging off the bed and I felt a bit of movement. Neat! I wasn't expecting to feel anything yet!

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#15 of 28 Old 06-20-2011, 01:51 PM

I'm 10w1d with my first and I've felt movement for about a week now. I know that they say that you're not supposed to feel the baby until the 2nd trimester (especially when you're pregnant with your first) but in the evenings I've been feeling some expanding along with rolling and some fluttering. I'm very in tune with my body...I knew whenever I was ovulating, when I was going to get my period without looking at a calendar, and I even "felt it" when we conceived. I know I sound crazy, and I know there is always the possibility that it is just gas or something, but it feels unlike anything else I've  felt before.

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#16 of 28 Old 06-20-2011, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

I think now that I've felt that initial movement, I can tell when the baby is moving.  It's not quite even what I'd call fluttering, but close.  I'm waiting for another big definitive kick or something, but this is enough to bring a smile to my face and an occasional tear to my eye.  It sure is exciting!  After my previous pregnancy ended early in  miscarriage, I'm finally starting to feel relaxed and excited this time around!!

Oh, and Conchobhar, I do think I know what you mean.  After feeling so many sensations in that area the first time around, I think I became more sensitive and aware of other things going on in that part of my body.  But I think you'll still know when you feel it!  It occurs farther forward than any intestine feelings.

--Dana

#17 of 28 Old 06-21-2011, 05:21 PM

I'm pretty sure I felt movement the other day. It was for a couple minutes. I haven't felt anything since, but that doesn't mean anything at this point.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#18 of 28 Old 07-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Wow, I just felt the first kick today! It was so awesome! I was sitting in a chair and I leaned forward to rest my elbows on my knees. My maternity shorts panel kinda pushed into my belly and then....then I felt a swift kick (or jump or bounce or whatever!)! It could not have been anything else. I've felt squirming here and there for the 1.5 weeks but this was a kick. joy.gif FTR, I'm 13w exactly today! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#19 of 28 Old 07-02-2011, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Yay!!!  How exciting!  Congratulations, Kindermama!

I've been feeling a lot of squirming around (I'm 14 weeks tomorrow).  Already this seems to be a really active baby.  This was confirmed at my last appointment.  Even while I felt nothing, the midwife got out the ultrasound machine because she couldn't find the heartbeat on the Doppler.  It turned out it was because the baby was so active, literally bouncing off the walls and doing virtual sit-ups.  My daughter was active inside and out.  It's so much fun to have active kids, but so much more WORK than more mellow little ones.  I'm exhausted just thinking of the possibilities...

--Dana

#20 of 28 Old 07-11-2011, 12:13 PM

Dana, does active inside usually equal active outside? I ask because my bean was a squirming monkey on the ultrasound screen, preferring to stand on his head and roll around in the pike position.

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#21 of 28 Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Oh, I can't wait to feel my baby move!  I was 13 weeks on Thursday, so it's probably going to be a while, but I'm just so excited.  I will not be getting an ultrasound nor do I use the doppler, so feeling baby move will be my first external indication (well, besides huge boobs, no periods, 1st tri morning sickness...lol) that there's really a baby in there!  I wonder what it will feel like, or if I'll think it's just gas!  We'll see! love.gif

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#22 of 28 Old 07-11-2011, 01:07 PM

I'm pretty sure I felt my baby move last week (14 weeks) because it was this tumbling feeling right in front and it was also right where we heard the HB a few days earlier.  It was so cool but I can't remember exactly what it felt like so I can't wait until it happens again. Congrats to those who have felt their little one!

#23 of 28 Old 07-11-2011, 01:36 PM

As I'm only 11+w I'm so waiting for some movement, but I still have several weeks to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by writinglove View Post

Dana, does active inside usually equal active outside? I ask because my bean was a squirming monkey on the ultrasound screen, preferring to stand on his head and roll around in the pike position.

My daughter was *so* active in utero.  She never stopped moving and did the alien body rolls when full-term.  I mean, strangers would jump at the sight of my moving belly!  Since she was born she crawled early, walked early, and hasn't stopped running.  The kid cannot sit still!  And she has no ability to stop talking!

My son would go days without moving in utero (I'm not kidding).  He didn't start really walking until 17 months.  He can sit and play by himself for hours.  He is, by far, the most mellow child I've ever met.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#24 of 28 Old 07-11-2011, 03:52 PM

my daughter was very active in the womb nvr stopped moving but she was a late crawler 10 months and walked at a year but she said her first word at 7 months and hasnt shut up since lol

#25 of 28 Old 07-11-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know.  I've heard people say it does, but others don't think it necessarily correlates.  I only have one daughter now who is VERY active on the outside (which I can see compared to other kids her age), but I have no other measure to know how active babies are on the inside.  But activity is a temperamental trait, so it makes sense that it would start in utero.

Any other moms want to weigh in?

#26 of 28 Old 07-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I'd been feeling some light fluttering down low in my belly, but I kept telling myself it was gas.  And then two days ago, standing in front of the fridge, I felt what can only be described as a flop!!  Gas doesn't flop, does it?  lol.gif

wombjuice likes this.

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

#27 of 28 Old 07-17-2011, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Yay, montessorimama!!  That's so cool, I'm very happy for you!!  Me next, me next!! love.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

I'd been feeling some light fluttering down low in my belly, but I kept telling myself it was gas.  And then two days ago, standing in front of the fridge, I felt what can only be described as a flop!!  Gas doesn't flop, does it?  lol.gif

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#28 of 28 Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 PM

I'm 16 weeks tomorrow, I first felt movement with this one just before 12 weeks, but it was VERY sporadic.  the past few days it has been at least once a day love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page