Has anyone else not seen their doc or midwife yet? Does "low tech" mean no rush? :-) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Am I being lazy or what?  It's been 9 weeks since my last MP, but with my long cycle I am about 7.5 to 8 weeks along... I am just now picking my midwife this week, and planning to start pre-natal care next week.  Anyone else not seen a doc or midwife yet?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here you don't even see your midwife until about 9 weeks.  I am 8w4d and will see my midwife for the first time on June 20.  Though you have to call the second you have a +ve test!

Old 06-13-2011, 04:40 PM

I don't have my first MW appointment until 12 weeks.  But that's their policy, not due to me waiting.  Really, there's not much they can do in the first trimester anyway, so I see their point...  Doesn't make me less impatient, though.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

Old 06-13-2011, 06:45 PM

i'm 7 weeks today and i haven't even called mine yet. i have to find a new one i think, so i'm lagging. there's not too much to do in the first tri, so i'm not really sweating it. i hate the dr nut.gif.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

10 weeks and haven't seen anyone yet.  Haven't actually decided if I will or not.  I don't want any testing at all (not even peeing on sticks), but I might like prenatals where we just chat.  Hmm...we will see.  Either way, it wouldn't be at least til July (when I'll be about 13 weeks) because we're moving to a new area at that time.

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombjuice View Post

10 weeks and haven't seen anyone yet.  Haven't actually decided if I will or not.  I don't want any testing at all (not even peeing on sticks), but I might like prenatals where we just chat.  Hmm...we will see.  Either way, it wouldn't be at least til July (when I'll be about 13 weeks) because we're moving to a new area at that time.

I think I'm right there with you womb juice.  I have to find a midwife who encourages my decision to go at this pregnancy as "low-tech" as possible.  I feel like my body is more than ready to take on these exciting changes with little intervention.  Good luck on your upcoming move!

Om'ing to Peace

Old 06-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Banned

Sometimes midwives book up early.  I don't think there's a need to actually see one this early, even for most people planning to go the high tech route, but in many areas, it's a good idea to call early to get on the midwife's schedule and caseload.  

Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 PM

We interviewed and settled on a midwife, but I haven't seen her in a clinical sense yet.  I'm 11 weeks.  I still need to go for my initial bloodwork and then she'll set up my first real appointment.

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I'm seeing mine for the first time when I'm at 14 weeks (I'm at 9w now) because that's when I move back home.  She said it was perfectly fine for our first meeting to take place then, and I honestly haven't felt the need to consult with anyone regarding the pregnancy so far (even though it's my first).  I figure that hearing about all those tests and measurements is going to be more stressful than just witnessing my body's changes in private, so I'm enjoying not having to go see a professional until the second trimester. 

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

I'm seeing mine for the first time when I'm at 14 weeks (I'm at 9w now) because that's when I move back home.  She said it was perfectly fine for our first meeting to take place then, and I honestly haven't felt the need to consult with anyone regarding the pregnancy so far (even though it's my first).  I figure that hearing about all those tests and measurements is going to be more stressful than just witnessing my body's changes in private, so I'm enjoying not having to go see a professional until the second trimester. 

This is exacting what I am feeling like!  I really don't "feel" like I need to see anyone yet (my first too!), and any sort of fretting might just stress me out.  Me and my little love-bun are feeling quite content now!  You ladies made me feel much better, people have been asking me every week "did you see a doctor yet??" and look at me like I have two heads when I tell them no. :-)

Om'ing to Peace

Old 06-14-2011, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

Me and my little love-bun are feeling quite content now!  You ladies made me feel much better, people have been asking me every week "did you see a doctor yet??" and look at me like I have two heads when I tell them no. :-)

You know, everything I've wondered about regarding this pregnancy I've been able to clarify online and through reading these threads... After all, pregnancy is a natural state, NOT a disease.  I'm seriously only going to see the midwife because my DH is more of a stickler about those things, but I'd be happy just going to my acupuncturist, eating well, working out, and calling the midwife when it's time to pop out the kid at home.  Maybe next time I'll go that route. :)

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

Old 06-14-2011, 05:39 PM

I'm 10 weeks and I haven't settled on a midwife yet. I have a consultation with one tomorrow but I don't feel like I'm in a rush to be seen and the pregnancy monitored. I'm more worried that I might have waited a little too long and some of them may be booking up for January already.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:44 PM

As of this point, I'm UP'ing as well as UC'ing, so I won't be going to see anyone. :) I am however going to have to go sit at Medi-Centre for who knows how long to get an ultrasound referral. It's my one concession to mainstream medicine & as someone who has UBAC's, I just feel safer knowing the placenta isn't on the scar. Plus, since I'm an "older" mother, I'd feel better having the baby checked up on.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 06-15-2011, 01:45 PM

I've talked to my midwife on the phone but won't be seeing her until the middle of July. I'm thinking about going for a dating ultrasound though. I'm still nursing and didn't get a real postpartum period. I just had some spotting in April.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

Old 06-16-2011, 04:48 AM

I don't think it's importantl to go in early.  I saw mine at 9 weeks this time around, mostly because  I know she is the only MW around so I wanted the reassurance that she is available.  We did the basic urine sample & blood pressure check and drew a vial of blood for labs.  It was nice to meet the MWs.  I'm a relatively low-tech person, though.  I have limited tests and  I didn't have an ultrasound last pregnancy or dual care.   I'll be 14 weeks at my next appointment and we will be listening for a heartbeat.  :)

In NC I waited until 11 weeks and was shocked to find that the OB & CNMs recommended by friends couldn't take me for dual care because I was "too far along."  I did find one, though.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchobhar View Post

I don't have my first MW appointment until 12 weeks.  But that's their policy, not due to me waiting.  Really, there's not much they can do in the first trimester anyway, so I see their point...  Doesn't make me less impatient, though.

Yup.  Same thing here.  (Especially the impatient part ;))

Old 06-16-2011, 09:53 AM

This is baby #2 and with the last one, I went in when I was like 6 weeks because a previous GYN told me I was at a higher risk for ectopic pregnancy, which I think was a bunch of bull. 

With this one, I have already picked out my home birth midwife. We went in and interviewed her shortly after I got my BFP, but I'm not going in until 11 weeks (I'm almost 10 now). I just don't see a point in going in earlier. I've called her to ask questions. There's just no point in a real appointment yet, especially since we're not going to use a doppler. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Old 06-23-2011, 05:00 PM

My midwives usually book the first appt around 12 to 13 weeks, unless you have concerns and want to come in earlier. It's seems the only reason to go early on is if you have a reason to be corcerned or you feel you could use the in-person guidance for some reason. For example wanting a fresh opinion on nutrition or activity etc.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Wife to DH 6 yr, Mom to Mono 6/07, Mi'ha 12/09, La & Ta 1/12. Yah!

CDing, noVaxing, tandom BFing & BWing, coSleeping, minimalist in training 388/2012, mama
Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 PM

I saw the midwife at 8weeks and some change. I let her know early that I was expecting because I wanted to be sure she was available..... there are only a few of us working in this area and since I will be taking some time off, I was getting other women due in January who were emailing me for care that I was referring to her. Figured I better see her quickly to ensure I have a spot on her calendar. We are sticking pretty low tech here, so really it was just a chance for her to write down some of my health history and discuss a few of my concerns. It wouldn't have been a big deal to wait either.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 AM

I have my first appointment on Friday (if the woman who is due any day isn't having her baby on Friday!) I'll be 13 weeks. My midwife said that is not late at all for a first appointment. I have been fairly sick though & it would have been nice to have someone to call for some reassurance about that and some weird pain I have been having. I love that I can refuse any tests with her.

I went to a dr. very early with my first pregnancy. All she did was poke me and do a bunch of tests for HIV and other STD's. ANNOYING! I hate how doctors refuse to trust women. I know how you get an std and I do not have one. Sorry for the rant. It just really bugs me to pay for tests that are there only to make the dr. feel better.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

I'm now nearly 10 weeks and have just now decided which midwife I'd like to use.  I'll probably start care around 12 weeks.  Sounds like that is just about right. :-)

Om'ing to Peace

Old 07-03-2011, 07:30 AM

Even mainstream OB's wont see people here till 8 weeks at least. This time I went in to get a pap/exam BEFORE I got pregnant so I wouldnt have to get one at the early visit. I have a history of an abnormal pap/LEEP procedure so I wanted to be sure I was clear before I got pregnant!!

Heather

Old 07-06-2011, 03:38 PM

I'm new here, and I haven't had an appt yet either! I'm probably about 12 weeks along, no completely sure because I am pregnant following a loss. I have been able to find the heartbeat on my own. I just called yesterday to make an appointment (had been trying to find a homebirth midwife) and they scheduled me for August 9th! I was like "uhmmm I'm already about 12 weeks along" but the scheduler didn't care. Weird.

User Tag List