Body Image and Pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Heads up: This post might be triggering to anyone who has dealt with body image issues or eating disorders.

I'm having a hard time with the reality that I will gain weight during my pregnancy.  I have had issues with body image, anorexia and compulsive exercising in the past.  About a year before I got pregnant I finally felt "recovered" from a lot of this stuff, though I still had particularities about food and exercised lots.  

I'm still teaching yoga, but my personal practice has really declined since I got pregnant.  I just don't have the energy to practice daily.  I've had pretty bad nausea and foods that I normally ate (i.e. tons of vegetables) became repulsive to me.  In addition, before my pregnancy I was vegan and have since started eating meat and dairy again.  Before my pregnancy I was at the low end of the normal weight range for my height.  I'm not even 11 weeks yet and I've already gained 8 pounds.  I think a lot of that weight gain is that my body isn't used to digesting animal products.

Intellectually, I understand that it is vitally important to my baby's health to gain (what seems to me to be) an enormous amount of weight.  My midwife suggested I aim for closer to 35 than 25 pounds.  After only 8 pounds my body seems quite fat to me. Frankly,  I'm scared about gaining so much more weight and I'm scared about losing muscle tone.  I'm not feeling like restricting calories, because I know my baby needs food.  I guess I'm just looking for any advice about how to quell these negative, habitual feelings about my body so I can enjoy nourishing my baby instead of feeling grossed out and stressed about it.

#2 of 21 Old 06-15-2011, 07:41 AM

Once you are feeling better you will be able to walk or do yoga or whatever you like more, so I wouldn't worry about losing muscle tone.  As someone who has dealt with anorexia in the past, I find that once the weight gain is clearly going to the baby and belly, it is a lot easier to deal with.  I feel beautiful when I am "with child" it is postpartum that I struggle with body image the most.

#3 of 21 Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.  I agree that it probably won't seem as bad to me when I have an obvious baby bump, but right now I'm just thicker and not actually pregnant-looking.  I really hope that the nausea recedes and I get my energy back soon.  I know it's common for those things to happen around the second trimester for most women, but I also know that some women feel miserable throughout their pregnancy.  I'm really hoping I don't fall into the latter category.  

I'm also concerned about the postpartum period not only because of my past struggles with body image, but also because this is my first child and I don't have any idea what to expect as far as my emotions go.  I know that my disordered behavior gets worse in times of great stress.  I guess I just need to focus my thoughts on having a healthy pregnancy and an easy birth instead of worrying about unknowns.

Do you have any suggestions for dealing with the postpartum period as far as body image goes?

#4 of 21 Old 06-15-2011, 08:06 AM

One thing that really helped me (total surprise, had not planned it) in the immediate postpartum period was that I had henna applied to my belly a few days before the birth, and as my belly got smaller postpartum, the henna got darker instead of fading.  It lasted a few weeks and it definitely helped me not just look at my belly and think "Yuck, what a flabby, saggy mess".  Another thing that helped was wearing a belly band to "bind" my belly - some people actually use belly binders for this purpose, I just used what I had.  And then as soon as I was cleared by my care provider to resume exercise I started walking, and a few weeks after that working out more hardcore, until I felt mostly back to normal.

I have also tried to reframe my idea of what looks good for my body.  Instead of thinking "I am so fat compared to when I was 18" I try to think "I look really good for someone who has had 3 children!"

#5 of 21 Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 AM

(((hugs))) to you!  You are almost out of the "gross" feeling stage.  Soon, your belly will pop, and you will feel energized!  I loved doing prenatal yoga with my first babe- I had a wonderful dvd with beautiful pregnant mamas on it.  It really helped me love my body the way it was.

I love the henna idea!  Yoga and meditation (and breastfeeding!) will help you postpartum.  Sleep was also super important for me.

And above all- compassion for yourself, your beautiful spirit, your changing body, and the pure, precious life growing inside of you.  

Namaste!

so many roads to ease my soul...

#6 of 21 Old 06-15-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidink View Post

Do you have any suggestions for dealing with the postpartum period as far as body image goes?

I've suggested it elsewhere, but I'd check out http://theshapeofamother.com/ 

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#7 of 21 Old 06-15-2011, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DDDC crashing ......Oh, and about the vegetarian thing. I ran a new mom's group for seven years. I've had countless vegetarians tell me that during the pregnancy they craved meat. Just think of it like any other craving.. there must be something in it your baby needs.
#8 of 21 Old 06-15-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies, everyone.  I really appreciate the support.  None of my friends are pregnant, and I don't have any close friends with children.  It's nice to be able to get some feedback from people who have gone through it or are going through it now.  It really means a lot to me. Hugs to you all!

#9 of 21 Old 06-15-2011, 11:37 AM

I totally sympathize with what you're feeling!  I have always paid a lot of attention to what I weigh (not wanting to be fat like my family).  I am about 8 weeks and 4 to 5 pounds heavier and it is having an effect on my self esteem some times.  I basically try not to look at my "beer gut" too much, or let my mind focus on the weight gain otherwise it will get me down.  The only good thing is that every one who knows me knows I am pregnant so the gain is something they like to see, and I appreciate that.  I really listen to my body and eat the things it tells me to eat (I was mostly veggie too! still not eating much meat but maybe a few times a week).  Our bodies are going to change a lot and it's such a blessing for us to get to grow a little person in us!  Keep telling your feelings to people who can understand like here, and maybe you could find an expectant mamas meetup group for face to face venting.  Pregnancy is a heck of a journey!  The good thing is that 99% of what we feel, other women have felt or at least can sympathize with.  Stay positive and remember that you really are a beautiful woman carrying a beautiful little babe in there.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#10 of 21 Old 06-15-2011, 03:24 PM

It is hard to say this, but I can't wait until my belly pops. Now I just feel fat and bloated, which makes me feel so insecure. Add the hormones into the mixture and I feel like I am 16 again and worried about what the popular girls will think about me because I don't look cute in my clothes anymore. I'm headed to France next week -- where it seems like everyone is thin and gorgeous -- and I'm wracking my brains trying to come up with clothes combinations I feel confident wearing. I think I am going to go shopping for some low key maternity clothes this weekend. It will be nice to have something in my size that compensates for the extra inches I have gained around the waist from baby and extra calories.

squidink, I write this to let you know you are not alone. Stay strong; I'll keep my chin up right there with you. And here's the the second trimester and feeling better/cute bumps.joy.gif

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#11 of 21 Old 06-20-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidink View Post

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.  I agree that it probably won't seem as bad to me when I have an obvious baby bump, but right now I'm just thicker and not actually pregnant-looking.  I really hope that the nausea recedes and I get my energy back soon.  I know it's common for those things to happen around the second trimester for most women, but I also know that some women feel miserable throughout their pregnancy.  I'm really hoping I don't fall into the latter category.  

I'm also concerned about the postpartum period not only because of my past struggles with body image, but also because this is my first child and I don't have any idea what to expect as far as my emotions go.  I know that my disordered behavior gets worse in times of great stress.  I guess I just need to focus my thoughts on having a healthy pregnancy and an easy birth instead of worrying about unknowns.

for me, breastfeeding helped a lot. I had some lovely breastfedding photos taken too, I felt beautiful when doing it, and really focused on my breasts, ignored my tummy. The bf'ing for me also sucked a lot of weight off fast....our sex life improved a lot lolol even though i felt i *looked* less sexy...I don't know tbh, this was all tough for me, but i was more preoccupied with other stuff emotionally (birth trauma, dd's reflux, NOT sleeping) that the body image stuff didn't become as huge as it might have. I was in serious ptsd land though...counselling? pictures of curvy preggo mamas on your wall? affirmations helped me too...like "my body is beautiful as it nurtures and nourishes my baby etc." it's not a simple issue...esp in our culture.

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#12 of 21 Old 06-20-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchobhar View Post

I've suggested it elsewhere, but I'd check out http://theshapeofamother.com/

oh yeah, this site rocked my world!

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#13 of 21 Old 06-20-2011, 08:28 PM

DDCC.

I have had major issues with this and it hasn't gotten easier with each pregnancy....

I am NOT a skinny gal, never have been, but I am at my "happy" weight when I weigh 160.

I gain 45-50 lbs with every pregnancy and just get HUGE! It's hard and just the way it goes....

The things I do after birth that help:

Buy clothes that FIT right away. If that means I wear a size 16 for a month, then so be it. I would rather be in a perfectly fitting pair of size 16 jeans, than in maternity clothes for 6 weeks...or 6 months! I think this has made the biggest difference. I also ALWAYS buy TIGHT high waisted undies before I give birth, they really do suck in the belly and and help slim things out under clothing. I then continue to buy one pair of jeans and a skirt in each size as I work my way down to my regular size, which is a 10. For me, I nurse, nurse, nurse, day and night. I know I burn a ton of calories this way. I have never given a babe a pacifier and I do not have my hubby deal with baby much. I just nurse on demand and wear babe at all times. I usually lose about 25 lbs. over the first 3 months or so.  After about 3-4 months, I will cut calories a bit, but always eat about 2000 calories, to keep up my milk supply.

For what its worth.

I was 156 before my first pregnancy.

158 before my second.

160 before my third.

161 before my 4th,

And 162 before my 5th, this pregnancy, due in December.

My hubby still adores my body and nursing does work wonders.

I hope you are able to get through this without too much depression and anxiety about weight. It is very, very hard, but they are so worth it! If they weren't, we wouldn't be on baby #5 in eight years. ;)

Hugs to you and to all other posters to this thread!

#14 of 21 Old 06-20-2011, 11:49 PM

I don't have a lot to say about body image, but I've had issues with stress postpartum as well.  If you're already concerned about that time, my advice would be to line up a strong support system of people you're comfortable with.  Whether they bring you food, help with housework, are just willing to receive a phone call anytime-- whatever you find you need during that time-- it's vital to have people around you that care about YOU when you need them.  That's what I lacked and I think it would have made postpartum a very different experience for me.  Since then I've been able to rally support of family and close friends, which has helped a lot.

--Dana

#15 of 21 Old 06-21-2011, 02:00 PM

I was a ballet dancer for a decade (although years before getting pg for the first time), so I am no stranger to body issues, compulsive exercizing, dangerous dieting, etc.  While I too, felt mostly recovered from those things and that world by the time I got pg the last time, I really wanted to comment to say that being pg and then being a mom is what I feel like finally healed/saved me!  I'm sure this is not true for everyone, but I hope that it is the case for you too.

Finally accepting my body as a machine of creation, as not being totally controlled by me or my will power, and eventually as birthing and making perfect milk for this amazing little creature that *I grew in my body* finally gave me the right perspective on things.  I gained 45lbs!  Yep, I got big, my face got round, I was glowing and chubby and even loving it (once past the icky first trimester bloated fat stage that it!).  And then I lost all that weight plus the extra 10lbs that I had been carrying around pre-pg within 9 months of my sons birth!  For me the combination of BFing and of being consumed by taking care of this little person instead of worrying about myself and my own diet/habits, meant that the weight just fell right off.  But I also just didn't care. . .there I was finally loosing weight easily and I didn't even care, b/c it just wasn't that important in comparison to what my life had become.

I hope that you too can kinda let go and let your body do what it needs to do. It does know what it's doing if you trust it.  And yes, PP you will be all kinds of flabby and fat and sweaty and leaking milk and it sounds so gross now. . .but you have a newborn to take care of who doesn't care about any of that but just needs you to love them and hold them and feed them.  luxlove.gif

p.s. and yes I am a little bit worried about getting "fat" all over again, but now I have this perspective of how little that part matters. What matters is that you nourish yourself in all the best ways possible and grow a healthy baby!

squidink likes this.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#16 of 21 Old 06-24-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

This is so frustrating.  I was feeling a lot better about gaining weight even though I'm gaining faster than average and fewer and fewer of my clothes fit now  That changed this morning when my husband made a comment about my body that he meant to be a lighthearted joke, but it really hurt my feelings.  I spent the next two hours crying about how fat I'm getting and panicking that I'm going to have to gain at least 17 more pounds in the next 6 months.  I had the thought that I should write down everything I eat today (a very bad idea for me) and start restricting specific foods (also a very bad idea.)

I considered myself basically recovered from my ED long before my husband and I met, so he never witnessed it and doesn't really understand the whole thing.  I'm so freaked about gaining, but I'm more worried that I'm going to start falling into habits that lead to calorie restriction.  I'm already kind of rationalizing the idea of restricting.  In addition to tending toward anorexia, my disordered eating has also tended to orthorexia in the much more recent past.  I have no idea how to combat these things.  

#17 of 21 Old 06-24-2011, 09:24 AM

squidink, can you just avoid knowing what you weigh?  Make your husband hide or get rid of the scale so that you can't weigh yourself at home.  Request that you are weighed facing away from the scale when your midwife weighs you and tell her and any assistants or staff (I don't know what kind of provider you're seeing) about your history of eating disorders and that you need to not know what you weigh/how much you've gained.  I know that's scary but it's a lot scarier to think about a pregnant woman restricting calories or refusing to eat out of fear of gaining weight. Maybe if you don't know, it won't freak you out so much?

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

#18 of 21 Old 06-24-2011, 09:58 AM

My midwives don't do weights unless you want to. they can generally tell if something is amiss in other ways...

#19 of 21 Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 AM

just read your recent post, and I really think a cousnellor or your doc/mw shoudl know how you're feeling. I haven't dealt specifically with an ED during pregnancy (body image yes) but I have dealt with a lot of unnecessary anxiety and depression, pregnancy and postpartum really made me a wreck from all the hormonal changes, so combine that with previous mental illness of any kind and sometimes it's a slipepry slope. I don't think you should be dealign with this alone. Talking on here was a great first step! The health of your baby is more important than anything that would stop you. Hoping you have or can find someone you trust to at least talk to and check in with.

#20 of 21 Old 06-25-2011, 08:29 AM

i'm so sorry you're having a rough time, squidink! my first pregnancy was so hard on me, for similar reasons. i gained 12 lbs in my first tri, and it scared the crud out of me!  then for some reason at the end of my first tri my gaining slowed way down, and i ended up gaining only about 25 all together. so a rapid weight gain at first doesn't necessarily mean you'll gain a lot throughout the pg.  i ended up losing all that pg weight along with some extra after the baby was born. same thing happened with my second pg. i started off this pg about 3 lbs over my ideal weight, and i know i've gained some so i'm a little stressed over it. that 3 lbs can do a lot to your body image when you're adding 1st tri insecurities and additional weight gain to it. now that i've been a momma for a while, i just sort of get that this is what a woman's body is meant to do. i haven't even weighed myself yet- i normally do that the night before my appt with the mw so i'm not surprised when i get on the scale there ( i know, that's kind of weird lol).

i agree that when your belly pops you will feel a little better. i suggest investing in some cute, comfortable maternity and post partum clothing if possible. the best thing for me about being pg is that i can wear tight t shirts- something i don't normally do because i have sort of a round, soft belly when not pg that does not look great under a tight shirt, lol. it sounds sort of shallow, but having nice clothes if you can afford it can really help your self esteem. along with some cute accessories/ jewelry. i usually get some cute yoga pants in the first tri because they're stretchy enough to last the whole pg, but they work great pp and in the first tri before you're showing too. i've also stocked up on some long t shirts that i should be able to wear almost all the way through my third tri. do you have any bella/ belly bands? when i'm having a rough day i will sometimes put one of those on even though my belly isnt that big yet (im only 9 weeks) because it smooths things down and allows me to wear my jeans without the button done, which is much more comfortable for me. they're also great pp to cover your belly while you breastfeed and keep the post partum tummy jiggles to a minimum.

also ( i know this was said already) remember that after you have your baby you will be SO  focused on loving it and trying to recover from the birth in other ways, your weight won't be on your mind too much. it was always there for me, but i didn't obsess over it like i did while pg the first time. i was too busy obsessing over the baby. i know when you have weight insecurities to start with that doesn't even sound possible, but it really does happen. if you are planning to breastfeed you may lose weight faster without even having to really try, and just the daily care you give babies and toddlers can take weight off as well.

all that said, it sounds like maybe you need to be talking to someone. just talking to someone can help SO much! is your ob/ mw aware of your situation? sorry if that was posted already, i'm too lazy to go back and look right now lol. i would make them aware so that they can offer support and tips throughout the pregnancy and pp. and of course this is a wonderful place to come with support! and tell dh to lay off the jokes!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#21 of 21 Old 06-25-2011, 09:52 AM

DDCC....Just wanted to offer some support and let you know that I've felt the same as you this pregnancy.  With my ds, I lost 3 pounds the first trimester due to morning sickness, so I felt like right out of the gate I was going to be good with my weight.  I also had him a month early, so didn't continue to get bigger that last month.  I never thought about my weight during that pregnancy and after and eventually lost the weight after a year without trying (just breastfeeding). 

I've always had a low thyroid and it seemed to take a dive when my ds was 1.5 years old.  If I ate anything I literally gained weight.  I became afraid of food.  I was still in the normal range for thyroid, but I could tell that it was off.  I finally went to a doctor who told me I was in the very low normal range and she tripled my dose.  After 3 years of struggling with eating, I finally got it under control with her and the pounds came off (with diet and exercise).  I was a healthy 125lbs when I got pregnant and the best I had looked since having my son. 

Then I got pregnant with this one (I'm due in December) and ended up taking medication for the vomiting.  Needless to say, I've been eating constantly to not feel sick.  I've gained about 14 pounds so far and I am only 16 weeks pregnant.  I've felt huge and none of my clothes fit me any more (even my fat, fat clothes).  I've been struggling big time, but I feel I have no choice because of the nausea and what I can and can't eat.  To help myself, I have been buying bigger, cute clothes I can wear this summer.  I've also been focusing on other things with my body.  Making sure my toes are painted and cute, my hair is cute, I've been outside and have gotten a tan so I look cuter in my clothes.  These all have helped.  The best thing, though is in the last 2 weeks, I have "popped".  My butt that looked so big is now looking much smaller with my belly next to it.  I look way more in proportion and everyone is commenting on how cute I look.  I wear loose skirts and tight shirts so that I look like I'm all belly.  This has helped me actually feel beautiful for the first time in 3 months! 

So my long-winded point?  Hang in there!  You will be all belly soon and if you are like me, your skin and hair will also start to look amazing!  Now that I'm feeling better, I'm able to eat more healthfully and even though the scale is still inching up, I feel better about those pounds then I did before.   

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page