The Nursing While Pregnant Thread... - Mothering Forums
1 2 
January 2012 > The Nursing While Pregnant Thread...
AfricanQueen99's Avatar AfricanQueen99 10:12 AM 06-16-2011

My boy is just shy of 16 months and has really *really* picked up on nursing lately.  He's always loved it, but now asks allll the time.  Anyway, I'm 8w1d and I think I've already drastically reduced my milk output because I almost never hear the swallows anymore.  This is my first time nursing through a non-miscarriage pregnancy, but that seems uber early to me.  My worry is that he'll eventually give up on nursing and not want to tandem when it comes back in.

Anybody else feel a decrease in output?

How's nursing going for you?

bentlaj11's Avatar bentlaj11 12:19 PM 06-16-2011

Mine has gone down alot (I'm 10/4 today). The only reason I can tell though is b/c the first few days where he was too distracted to nurse much (on the weekend and he napped in the car) I barely had any discomfort. Now except at night because he has been a little under the weather, he hasn't really nursed that much. At first I thought it was a flavor issue. There were a couple of times were he nursed and then made a face. But, before his nap he still drinks w/ no problem. I don't really think at night he's actually drinking that much.. just comfort nursing to try to get back to sleep. Long story short... my supply has dropped, but I think alot of it is because he hasn't been nursing as much, and I don't know how much of it is due to pg (flavor and low supply) vs. him just not wanting it as much/being more distracted during the day.

100%mom's Avatar 100%mom 06:11 PM 06-16-2011

I'm still nursing, but my baby is only 9 1/2 months. I can still hear the swallows so I don't know if my supply has gone down any. With my last pg I weaned at 11 wks and with the pg before my baby weaned on it's own at 10 wks. I'm 8 1/2 wks now and hope to nurse for a couple more months at least.

BennyPai's Avatar BennyPai 06:18 PM 06-16-2011

I'm nursing while pregnant again.  The last two pregnancies my milk was gone by the end of the second trimester.  So far, my 2yo is still gulping milk.  :)  We'll see how it goes.

The worst part for me is the sensitive nipples.    The sensitivity will eventually decrease, but in the meantime:  Aaargh!

coldandsleepy's Avatar coldandsleepy 06:41 PM 06-16-2011

I'm still nursing.  My son is almost 21 months old.  We day-weaned at 19 months for some unavoidable reasons (he was in daycare for the month) and I found out I was pregnant at basically the same time.  I can definitely tell there's less milk coming out now, but he doesn't seem to mind. He still nurses 1-2 times a night and has one long session right when he wakes up.

The thing is, I would be delighted to daytime tandem nurse... but I really only partially wake up to nurse him at night and I just feel like it'd be impossible to do that with a toddler AND a newborn cosleeping.  I don't want to re-intro day nursing, but I'm not ready to stop with him entirely yet, and I don't think he is either...

danamichele's Avatar danamichele 07:16 PM 06-16-2011

I'm still nursing my 2 1/2 year old.  She has always LOVED nursing-- she would literally nurse all day if I let her.  I have no desire to tandem nurse this particular toddler and an infant.  I don't know if my supply has decreased because she has always comfort nursed regardless of the presence of milk.  She said that my milk still tastes the same, but my nipples are definitely sensitive.  She only nurses now to fall asleep at nap time if we're home and before bed, even though she can fall asleep on her own after she finishes milk.  It seems, then, like we're not that far from weaning, but I'm afraid it's not going to come naturally to change those routines. For now I'm just trying to decrease the frequency of nap nursings and the duration of night nursings.  Hopefully within a few months it will happen on its own.

--Dana

jessica_lizette's Avatar jessica_lizette 07:23 PM 06-16-2011

I'm nursing my 20 month old and about 10 weeks along. So far so good. With my previous pregnancy I had a good supply until about 20 weeks and then my son had to wean. If it goes away and she weans, I'd be okay with that. If she wants to pick back up again after the baby's born, fine, and if not, that'd be fine by me too.

Devaskyla's Avatar Devaskyla 12:12 AM 06-17-2011

About 10 weeks & still nursing my 27 month old. I don't think I actually had any milk left when I got pregnant due to hypothyroidism, but he still nurses for comfort & to sleep. I nursed ds2 until about 16 wks pregnant with ds3, but he was well over 3 so I didn't feel guilty weaning him when it hurt too much. So far, it's only hurting when he first latches on. After a minute or 2, it doesn't hurt anymore, but he likes switching sides. A lot. I'm just taking it day by day. I don't want to wean him, but I'm willing to consider it if I need to.

AfricanQueen99's Avatar AfricanQueen99 05:32 AM 06-17-2011
Yeah, it's gone. He tried nursing for a good hour this morning and kept bursting into tears when he wouldn't get any. greensad.gif. We are heading to the store later today to grab some whole milk. Bummer.
bentlaj11's Avatar bentlaj11 01:08 PM 06-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

Yeah, it's gone. He tried nursing for a good hour this morning and kept bursting into tears when he wouldn't get any. greensad.gif. We are heading to the store later today to grab some whole milk. Bummer.

Aww mama :( That stinks! I'm sorry.

doulawoman 02:21 PM 06-17-2011

maybe a bit less but still going strong here with my 16 mo and 10 weeks today. The nausea is subsiding fast and the soreness going up though. dd1 has definitely been nursing more since i got pg, and i don;t think so much because of low supply more because of some other change, she seems to like/value it even more... i worry a lot about her, i fought to be able to bf her and it is super important to her, i can't bear the thought of weaning. I try to eat a LOT, and now that i feel less sick i may start my nettle and rrl infusions again. they used to help my supply before pg so they certainly can't hurt and are good for me and baby too.

kismetbaby's Avatar kismetbaby 03:03 PM 06-17-2011

I'm still nursing my 20mo and I'm 9wks pg today.  I think my supply has gone down, but I do still hear him swallowing, so I know he's getting something. He has been (finally) eating solids better though, so I think he's getting less milk. My nipples are sensitive, but it's not bad enough to make me not want to nurse, just a bit ouchy at latch on (and yep, he also likes to switch sides constantly).

He's definitely a super-nurser. . .always has been. He'd nurse all the time if I let him. He still nurses about 2x a night and who knows how many times a day.  So I fully expect he will continue on and we will tandem.  Although I would really, really like to night wean. . .the thought of nursing two at night is pretty scary.  In fact, I'm not even sure how bedtime will work, since ds will *only* fall asleep nursing.  I guess DH will have to have baby duty, b/c ds just screams if DH tries to do bedtime with him. Although I am hoping some of that might shift a bit over the next 7months.

I am doing a RRL and nettle infusion and hoping to keep up some supply.

lactatinggirl's Avatar lactatinggirl 10:37 PM 06-21-2011

I'm nursing my 27 month old and I'm 10 weeks and 3 days along. I think my supply has gone down because she doesn't go to sleep as easily with it, but I'm sure I at least still have some. I don't think I'm getting a real hard letdown anymore though. 

bentlaj11's Avatar bentlaj11 01:18 PM 06-22-2011

Anybody's LO having tummy troubles? This may be TMI, but LO started having loose stools last week. I thought it was because I had eaten a lot of pazole (a spicy mexican dish). But, it should be out of my system now, and he's still got it. He doesn't seem to hurt unless he gets gassy (but that's not that often). I, too, have had looser than normal stools. Also, he has stopped eating alot and has went from nursing 2-3x/day to 5-6x. This just happend these past couple of days, so not really related to the loose stool that I can tell. Are there any pg hormones that get in the milk that can cause gi troubles? I haven't taken him to the Dr, because he seems fine otherwise!

kismetbaby's Avatar kismetbaby 11:17 PM 06-22-2011

I've heard that colostrum can cause loose stools in toddlers. . .and I know it comes in at some point during pg, but I didn't think it would be this early.  But maybe your milk is just changing and since he is nursing more it's affecting his belly.  Could also be that he's just gotten some sort of minor tummy bug (esp. since you are having issues too). Either way, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as he isn't getting dehydrated at all (just me personally, but never bad to consult your Dr), but I'd also try giving him some child probiotics.  I'm a huge fan of probiotics for all sorts of tummy troubles. . .the children's kind you can just sprinkle on some food. I usually sprinkle it on yogurt so my LO is getting both the yogurt cultures and the bottled ones.

AfricanQueen99's Avatar AfricanQueen99 08:14 AM 06-23-2011
AJ - my son's bowels are out of control lately! He went from one good movement a day to paste-like poo multiple times a day. I'm so over cleaning the cloth with all this poop!
bentlaj11's Avatar bentlaj11 12:18 PM 06-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post

I've heard that colostrum can cause loose stools in toddlers. . .and I know it comes in at some point during pg, but I didn't think it would be this early.  But maybe your milk is just changing and since he is nursing more it's affecting his belly.  Could also be that he's just gotten some sort of minor tummy bug (esp. since you are having issues too). Either way, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as he isn't getting dehydrated at all (just me personally, but never bad to consult your Dr), but I'd also try giving him some child probiotics.  I'm a huge fan of probiotics for all sorts of tummy troubles. . .the children's kind you can just sprinkle on some food. I usually sprinkle it on yogurt so my LO is getting both the yogurt cultures and the bottled ones.

That's a good idea about the probiotics. I still can't get him to eat yogurt, so I will try to find some to mix in w/ his food. I don't know why that didn't cross my mind. I was hoping to get him to eat more fiber, but he's been taking a few bites and "all done" even passes his plate to me now. I've always had irregularities in the gi department, so I wasn't worried about mine... just was wondering why I haven't had all the pg related constipation yet (but I'm sure it will come..haha!). DS hasn't lost any weight, and still drinks fine, and of course nursing more, so I'm trying to take a "this too shall pass" approach. DH gets a little worried about it, though! I will try some pro-biotics, though!!

Quote:

AJ - my son's bowels are out of control lately! He went from one good movement a day to paste-like poo multiple times a day. I'm so over cleaning the cloth with all this poop!

Glad I'm not the only one!! I've run out cloth wipes a few times! I'm lucky he's letting me know most of the time, and we make it to the potty. But, there have been a few times where he hasn't said anything (and I didn't check b/c he has been telling me Sheepish.gif). Now he's got a little red bum :( Glad it's summer and he can run around bare outside!

bentlaj11's Avatar bentlaj11 12:29 PM 06-26-2011

Well, I guess DS just wanted me to post all about our tummy woes :) He has since "decided" to head back the other direction, and has only gone once/day the last 2 days. Now, hopefully we won't go to far the other direction and get constipated... aw, so fun..haha! Hope everyone else's nursing times are going good. He has dropped back down to just a few sessions during the day, and I don't have anymore nipple sensitivity. Hopefully the second trimester will go smoothly. I keep wondering if we will make through the end and tandem nurse... I need to start researching that a little bit.

100%mom's Avatar 100%mom 02:11 PM 07-01-2011

Well, my little one is still nursing but I don't think she is getting enough. She will nurse but then wants to eat real food. I'm actually only 9 wks. I'm 2 weeks behind where I thought I was, but I'll probably still have a January baby as I'm due Feb. 3rd.

AfricanQueen99's Avatar AfricanQueen99 07:24 PM 07-01-2011

Well, my newbie is pretty much done...at 17 months.  He is almost never asking to nurse anymore and when he does it's only for a few suckles.  We had to start giving whole milk as he was crying from being hungry.

I truly wonder if he'll go back to nursing when I deliver.

:(

HardCoreMom's Avatar HardCoreMom 07:54 PM 07-01-2011

my 3.5yo nurses to sleep, and even though he's not really drinking anymore, he isn't showing any signs of giving it up- on the contrary, he seems to suck with more determination than ever.  i feel like the diminished supply has led to a lot more night-waking, since he hasn't been falling asleep on a full belly, so i've been trying to give him a drink of water at night before bedtime.

i'm just so thankful that nursing hasn't been as painful as it was in my last 2 pregnancies.  i would be in tears each night, it hurt so badly.  it's certainly uncomfortable, but for now, i'm still really grateful to have the connection with him.  we'll see how i feel down the road!

Devaskyla's Avatar Devaskyla 06:35 PM 07-02-2011

Ds3 was only nursing to sleep or when he was scared. Now it seems like he wants to nurse all the time & he has a complete melt down when I say no.  It almost makes me want to wean, especially since I'm soooo sore again.

danamichele's Avatar danamichele 08:53 PM 07-03-2011

I definitely want to wean my daughter before the baby comes due to her temperament.  She will be 3 in October, and that's my loose goal date for weaning.  We're down to nursing just (1) to fall asleep at nap time if we're home that day, and (2) before bed, but she falls asleep on her own afterward.  I'm not sure how I'm going to smoothly get over the next weaning hurdles.  The other day I almost left her room without nursing, but then she caught me and asked and I did.  And I don't know how to change nursing before naps.  It's such a ritual and I don't have the energy to be out and about every day until she's tired enough to fall asleep in the car.  I am dry or almost dry on one side though, according to her conflicting reports.  I though that might make me sad, but instead I'm feeling proud of her for being such a big girl.  That helps me know I'm ready for weaning, and I think she's getting close.

coldandsleepy's Avatar coldandsleepy 04:10 PM 07-06-2011
The good news is, my son decided to nightwean himself. He hasn't night nursed in almost a month.

I went back to work two weeks ago, and since then, he wants to nurse ALL the time when he's awake and I'm home. We're seriously back to 5-6 times a day between 5pm and 8:30pm. But even though my breast soreness is still pretty bad, I'm not unhappy with this increase. It's really sweet to be able to share this time with him. Sometimes I think about the day when he really weans and I want to cry. Silly, but there you go...

My milk went away but seems to be back already. Weird. I can definitely feel letdowns again and hear milk going down his throat when he nurses. Maybe just through the sheer frequency of his events.

Kinda looking forward to trying to tandem nurse if he's still going when this baby is born, especially if I don't have to do it at night.
BennyPai's Avatar BennyPai 07:52 AM 07-07-2011

My 2yo dd is nursing less and less. I'm 15 weeks along.   I think my milk is gone, but I'm not sure.  It is very painful.  Some nights I have slept in a separate bed and put dd in with DP or her 7yo sister just to get a break and let my nipples heal a little.  Dd sleeps through the night without me, but wakes several times to nurse when we co-sleep... I'm thinking of making a more permanent arrangement with her to co-sleep with 7yo dd.

kismetbaby's Avatar kismetbaby 02:11 PM 07-07-2011

Woohoo on the night weaning coldandsleepy!  I feel like my ds is moving in that direction, but very slowly.  I really, really want him to be night weaned by Jan though.  

I feel like you coldandsleepy, when I think of him weaning it makes me sad. . .I know will be so bittersweet when it happens.  We'll see how it all goes.  DH was acting like he wanted me to wean recently and I got really pissed at this and he hasn't mentioned it since.  But I think bottom line is he really wants ds to sttn. . .and I'm not sure that has anything to do with weaning. 

Anyway, we're still going strong. ds was sick this week and wanted to nurse constantly!  I definitely have less milk now, although he is un-phased by this and my soreness leveled off a bearable point. 

bentlaj11's Avatar bentlaj11 12:24 PM 07-08-2011

coldandsleepy- how did nightweaning look for you guys? You said he weaned himself. Do you co-sleep? Did you do anything different at nights? I've been trying to get DS back to sleep w/o nursing, but he's pretty adamant about nursing. I would love to nightwean, but in my heart I know I'm not strong(?) enough to do it yet.

kismetbaby- DH has mentioned weaning (before the new LO comes) a few times, but when I ask him for help (like trying to break the nurse at night cycle, he doesn't do anything. He thinks I need to wean him during the day first... when he's not at home..hah! He is definitely sending me mixed signals on how he feels about us still BF! We really need to sit down and hash it out soon. I know DS is not ready to wean, and while I have my days (well mostly nights) where I think it would be nice, I know I'm not ready yet either.

BennyPai- I've been thinking of trying to sleep in another room to see what happens in a few months. That's interesting that she will STTN if you are not there, but not if you are there. I don't think DS will go for it right now, but hopefully we will be ready in a few months.

AfricanQueen99's Avatar AfricanQueen99 01:17 PM 07-08-2011

Nightweaning for us only occurred because my milk is non-existent.  He seriously stopped waking all the time for a snack.  Now he sleeps allll night long and wakes at +/-6a for me to drop off a bottle of whole milk and *beg* for another hour of sleep...the extra sleep usually doesn't work though!

My kid used to ask to nurse all.the.time. and now *sometimes* asks once a day.  There is just no way that he'll still be nursing when the newb shows up.

bentlaj11's Avatar bentlaj11 08:39 PM 07-09-2011

Quote:

Nightweaning for us only occurred because my milk is non-existent.  He seriously stopped waking all the time for a snack.  Now he sleeps allll night long and wakes at +/-6a for me to drop off a bottle of whole milk and *beg* for another hour of sleep...the extra sleep usually doesn't work though!

My kid used to ask to nurse all.the.time. and now *sometimes* asks once a day.  There is just no way that he'll still be nursing when the newb shows up.

I need to remember to try to listen to see if he's actually drinking anything at night. I do try to pry him off gently to see if he will fall back alseep sooner, but he will move my hand away from his mouth if he's not ready to unlatch. He will eventually roll over and snuggle w/ DH when he's done. I've been very cranky about it lately, and I need to just enjoy it... it won't last forever right (and he's still little in so many ways)!

lactatinggirl's Avatar lactatinggirl 08:53 AM 07-17-2011

I'm 14 weeks now and I'm pretty sure my milk is all but gone. DD doesn't seem to mind at all and just keeps on nursing. Probably not quite as often as pre-pregnancy, but it might also be because it's summer and we're running around like crazy. My only problem has been nighttime. She nightweaned about 6 months ago (with my help, but she was obviously ready for it), but still nursed to sleep every night. She's still nursing to sleep at night, but she's not getting much. She wakes up a few hours later wanting "moo-cow" (which is what we call cow's milk) or juice or water. In an LLL meeting it was recommended to me to give her a high protein snack right before I brush her teeth at night, but I haven't tried it so far because we've been eating dinner late. I'm going to try it over the next few days though.

Any other things you gals are doing to supplement your milk drying up?

1 2 

Up