Hormones! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 06-16-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

These first trimester hormones are making me feel like an insecure 16-year-old again. Those of you who have done this before, this will pass, right? I'm feeling lonely and I don't want to socialize because I am so sensitive (which isn't the healthiest feedback loop). banghead.gif On top of it all, I'm worried about how I look. Ugh. Yuck. 

Any advice on how to get through this? Thanks all. namaste.gif

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#2 of 34 Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 AM

I can totally relate. Between feeling lousy and grumpy, I haven't been very social. I've been much more inwardly focused than normal. It will pass but being pregnant is about as hormonal as we get. I have found that going for walks helps me a lot. Exercise and meditative.

Hope you feel better soon. Oh, and hello fellow resident of the pacific northwest smile.gif

Mama to AJS - 22, CRS -17 and forever in my heart GHAB 8/5/11/(18 weeks) angel2.gif

#3 of 34 Old 06-16-2011, 10:38 AM

I'm right there with you! I'm sooo moody and feeling very very insecure about my weight. ):

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#4 of 34 Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

musicmamapdx, thanks. Glad to know I have a sister in arms up here in the great Northwet. 

Kaitlyn, thanks for the camaraderie.

I feel so much better having just put that out there. Funny how when you label what you are feeling, you start to feel better.

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#5 of 34 Old 06-16-2011, 01:26 PM

im the same. super sensitive, very worried about  my looks (feel like i was just getting my body back after two years of bfing dd2), kind of an overall wreck. and we live in the nw, too :)

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#6 of 34 Old 06-16-2011, 02:34 PM

Ah yeah. .. it does get better though. This is such a tough time, the hormones, the worry, looking fat instead of pg, etc. etc.

Luckily or not so luckily my toddler will not let me stay at home and mope and eat ice cream and watch TV all day, which is what I'd like to be doing.  But I am finding it hard to find clothes to wear (especially since we haven't told people yet) and I'm so dang tired all the time. Not to mention cranky. . .but I find that being forced o put on my happy face and meet other moms at the park actually makes me feel better in the end.  So maybe you can find your own version of that. 

But it will get better. You'll feel the baby move, you'll look pg and glowy, and you'll want to be in the world again!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#7 of 34 Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 PM

When in doubt, we're over halfway done with the first trimester.  That's something.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#8 of 34 Old 06-16-2011, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm feeling so moody, too, and to top it off, this time around my husband has been less than supportive of the moodiness.  Of course that doesn't help the situation.  :(

It's pretty amazing witnessing in one's self the return of the hormones during a pregnancy.  I had a lot of time to get to know myself as a person after adolescence, and WOW those hormones were a shocker once I got pregnant!  I really feel for adolescents in a whole new way now.  I don't remember any sort of pattern in the moodiness last pregnancy, but the hCG levels peak at about 10-11 weeks and then go back down (you can google really neat graphs of hormones over time during pregnancy if you're so inclined!), and at least that should help those of us with morning sickness!

And.... HAHAHAHAHA!  How have I lived in this area my entire life and never heard of the Northwet??  LOVE it.  Hello from Olympia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by writinglove View Post

Glad to know I have a sister in arms up here in the great Northwet. 

#9 of 34 Old 06-17-2011, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

OMG, I thought I was going insane this week (just reached 10 weeks)... wild.gif Thank goodness I'm not alone, although I'm so so so sorry that you're all going through this.  I want to whack random people with my umbrella, I'm in such a foul mood.  Seriously, I've actually played the scene out in my mind. :)  I have never been very social, but now I'm horribly anti-social!

Everything irritates me, and I do mean everything.  None of my friends "get" how I feel; they all think "hormonal during pregnancy" must mean weepy, so they don't get it that I'm irritated and grumpy.  It doesn't help that exams are a week away and honestly I could care less about what I'm learning even though I love Montessori (nothing is sticking in my brain anyways, and all the stuff I already knew has somehow vanished).  Everyone is enjoying the last few days of hanging out together and I'm holed up in my room, too tired to go anywhere.

All I want to do is crawl into a hole, cry, and eat potato chips doused in vinegar.  Because of course I ate a tiny piece of fruit tart today at school and it made me want to barf, which made me angry.

Ahhh, I feel better already.  :)  Thank GOODNESS for this DDC.  You guys are my salvation... grouphug.gif

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

#10 of 34 Old 06-18-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:

All I want to do is crawl into a hole, cry, and eat potato chips doused in vinegar. 

lol.gif That is pretty much how I feel too. Just add some lemonade to my order and I'd be all set! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#11 of 34 Old 06-18-2011, 04:31 PM

I'm feeling super crazy right now. I vary between wanting to punch people in the face, and crying into my pillow. I've been dealing with ridiculous drama this week caused by my sister, who I was ready to disown prior to pregnancy, and now have decided I absolutely do not want in my life. I'm tired of making explanations for her, when I'm unhappy I do not lie to and manipulate people. And I've had to deal with the loss of my best friend to cancer three years ago, so I know unhappy. Also learned that I'm no longer willing to take crap from anyone, and she's the one person in my life that gives me a headache every time I'm near her.

I broke the news of my pregnancy on Mother's day, her reaction was to start crying and yelling at me for not being supportive of her with her wedding, which was last week. I had decided not to attend her wedding in Mexico because of the price, along with the fact that she and her fiance chose to befriend an ex-boyfriend of mine right after he cheated on me, (which all happened a few months prior to getting together with my current love almost two years ago) and ex was going to be the best man at their wedding. I'd really like for creepy ex to not be a part of my life. And it creeps me out that he's trying to be part of my family.

Now, come to find out he hooked up with my cousin in Mexico, who is eerily similar to me in both looks and personality (as is my sister, though I've always considered her the evil twin), and they want to try dating long distance. I can't help but feel completely skeeved out. It feels like a really creepy version of him trying to get me back, or get back at me for being pregnant and happy with someone new.

I just needed to vent this, it's been getting to me all week. And I'm tired of feeling like I should be on Jerry Springer,yelling at ex to just get out of my life for once and all.

#12 of 34 Old 06-19-2011, 08:42 AM

Not only am I incredibly irritated by millions of things that never used to irritate me.. I've also turned into this incredibly sensitive person who can't take a joke and bursts into hysterical crying fits if anyone teases me.  My poor husband..

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

#13 of 34 Old 06-19-2011, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

On Friday afternoon, I was so tired and irritated... I got to class, put my head on the desk, and started crying.  In the middle of the classroom.  Yeah, really mature.  Thankfully my friends came to my rescue and I was better in a few minutes, but how insane is that?  Just a couple of days earlier I had told my flatmate that I never cry for silly things, and now there I was, crying and saying I wanted to go home... Good grief...

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

#14 of 34 Old 06-19-2011, 10:00 PM

Glad to hear I'm not the only one losing it. smile.gif I've been crying, or tearing up, for every little happy or sad thing - commercial on TV, a baby sitting next to me in the waiting room, story about a lost dog. Today was the first completely crazy hormone cry though. It was a bunch of little things that started me out and then, I just couldn't stop! An hour and a half of ridiculous sobbing. 

There do seem to be quite of few of us Pacific Northwest moms here in the hormone section (I'm in Portland)...hmmm... must be the weather.

#15 of 34 Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 AM

I nearly quit my job last night via email, due to a hormone-rage. 

I received an email from a coworker (I use the term loosely), basically telling me I was an idiot because I missed a very minor step in getting a promo tape done.  Of course, he cc'd all of our higher-ups, to make himself feel more awesome.  The only reason I didn't come uncorked was because my house was in the middle of a power outage and it was going to be too hard to type up a scathing email on my phone, instead of the computer.

I seriously would've gotten into a fist fight with this person, had he sent this email during working hours.  And I wouldn't have regretted it one bit, even as they tossed my butt out the front door.

Hate these hormones.  They're going to get me killed.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#16 of 34 Old 06-29-2011, 06:45 PM

I am so tired of feeling emotional and crazy all the time. I'm already a really sensitive person,and now I'm a wreck. My feelings are hurt at the slightest insult. I can not take any jokes, and I'm ready to kill everyone. Everyone seems to insist upon entering my personal space to touch me and hug me, despite me firmly asking them to not do so. And texts and phone calls everyday from our families, 4 siblings each for both of us, so excited that we're having a baby. Pestering us with questions about the sex of the baby and what names we have picked out, sorry but it's a little too early to determine sex and they all have kids and should know that. Then any time we give in and tell any of the names we're thinking of, names carefully considered and in honor of people we've lost, most people just want to tell us that they hate those names, or give the lip curl of disgust and say we should choose their favorite baby name, I understand when twelve year olds do this, as when my niece's friend went on about how Faith was the best name ever, but when grown people don't seem to get how incredibly rude they're being, I don't know how to respond. And my poor BF has been dealing with the varying extremes of intense anger and hypersensitive crying for months now. I don't know how he can stand to live with me right now, and manage to be so understanding and patient.

#17 of 34 Old 06-30-2011, 03:16 PM

Ok, I'm posting yet again on this thread because my hormones are seriously out of control. I am so pissed off, every little thing irritates me to the point of insanity. If someone chews too loud, breathes too loud, I just burst into a bad mood. Is this normal? I'm very very hot and cold. I'll be crying, then I'll be set off quickly into a fit. No patience whatsoever. And on top of it my face and body are breaking out like a hormone crazed teenager. When does the glow take effect? 

#18 of 34 Old 06-30-2011, 03:26 PM

Well, I don't know if it's normal, but I certainly get the "anger"-side of hormones as well.  I keep waiting for someone to start a fight with me, because I WILL finish it...lol.

My coping technique is to realize I'm spiraling out of control and try to get myself out of it.  Of course, days like 2 days ago, it was impossible, and I just had to ride the rest of the day as best I could.  If you know any relaxation techniques, now might be the time to use them.  Or find some.

Now, the good side to feeling like this - 2 days ago, when I had a REALLY bad day, I ended up blowing up at my boss at work because things weren't going right and I wished they would change.  I seriously thought I was going to get fired.   Instead, things got corrected the next day and I actually got to go home at 8 hours, instead of 14.  So if you can - without ending up in jail, of course - use it!!  When else are you going to be able to speak your mind and then blame it on pregnancy hormones?

#19 of 34 Old 06-30-2011, 05:41 PM

Wow, I can definitely understand the insecure piece but in a different way. I've been SO jealous and suspicious of my DH. I want to hurt any girl who looks his way. I want to hurt him if he looks at anyone else in any sort of way. I make sarcastic comments about the girls at work and school. You should hear me! It's pretty pathetic! Before this pregnancy, I never really cared for things like that. I was pretty confident. DH loves it! It's giving him an ego boost! I think it must just be the biology of it all. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#20 of 34 Old 06-30-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

OMG, I thought I was going insane this week (just reached 10 weeks)... wild.gif Thank goodness I'm not alone, although I'm so so so sorry that you're all going through this.  I want to whack random people with my umbrella, I'm in such a foul mood.  Seriously, I've actually played the scene out in my mind. :)  I have never been very social, but now I'm horribly anti-social!

Everything irritates me, and I do mean everything.  None of my friends "get" how I feel; they all think "hormonal during pregnancy" must mean weepy, so they don't get it that I'm irritated and grumpy.  It doesn't help that exams are a week away and honestly I could care less about what I'm learning even though I love Montessori (nothing is sticking in my brain anyways, and all the stuff I already knew has somehow vanished).  Everyone is enjoying the last few days of hanging out together and I'm holed up in my room, too tired to go anywhere.

All I want to do is crawl into a hole, cry, and eat potato chips doused in vinegar.  Because of course I ate a tiny piece of fruit tart today at school and it made me want to barf, which made me angry.

Ahhh, I feel better already.  :)  Thank GOODNESS for this DDC.  You guys are my salvation... grouphug.gif

Holy smokes.  This is totally me.  Esp. the potato chips and vinegar- and, honestly, the sitting on the edge of sanity too.  I feel like I should be used to this, but it really never gets to be something you can get used to.  I am very impatient with my kids and husband.  Plus, I ate about half a bag of salt and vinegar chips and really thought I was going to have a heart attack- wooh, overload in salt.  Loved the vinegar though.  What does that mean?  Never craved vinegar like this before.  Also, I crave tiramisu like nothing else.  I dream of tiramisu. 

Mother to Obadiah, Ira, fencing.gifEva, dust.gifand Ailsa babyf.gif, wife of wonderful state trooper in Alaskacold.gifhomeschool.gifwinner.jpgteapot2.GIFdog2.gifdog2.gifcat.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgpraying.gif
#21 of 34 Old 07-23-2011, 08:16 AM

Lol! I don't mean to laugh, but I feel like all of you too and I'm so glad to hear other people say the same things!! Most of all, pretty much anything my husband says or does annoys the crap out of me or makes me burst into tears. I think the best we can all do is acknowledge our pregnut-ness and work from there. It's also really important to expect that our hormones will keep changing even after we've had our babies. I read that the emotions we feel after the birth of the baby until after a mom stops breastfeeding are equavilant to those a women experiences during menopause!

ALSO!!! I read that men's hormones change at about the rate of one normal female menstrual cycle over a period of 7-10 YEARS!!!! That makes me so angry, lol, wth! No wonder they can't relate. 

#22 of 34 Old 07-24-2011, 01:15 PM

I feel so much better reading all this.  My hormones were nothing like this when I was pregnant with my son.  I am overly sensitive ABOUT EVERYTHING.  My poor husband can't even crack a joke around me because I am likely to take offense and start crying. 

EVERYONE pisses me off. And I fully acknowledge that is  the pregnancy hormones, but that does not make it one bit easier to deal with it.

Add on top of that this unbearable heat wave we've been going through and the continuing nausea...I am not a fun person to be around at the moment.

My husband jokes that it must be a girl because of the craziness of it all, and I am inclined to believe him.  If so, god help us if there are the hormones she is going to have!!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#23 of 34 Old 07-24-2011, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I'm crabby and I really try to contain it because it doesn't help the receiver of my crabbiness if I say it is hormones.  It's really not fun.  I don't get too weepy but some things have caught me by surprise like being in the grocery store watching a mother care for her special needs son.  Crying in the grocery is embarasing to say the least.  Honestly I'm a little surprised the hormones are still so strong, I was hoping for a reprieve from them along with all the other stuff that's been letting up in the 2nd trimester.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#24 of 34 Old 07-24-2011, 08:18 PM

Element2012 - If it makes you feel any better, I cried at a baseball game, around a bunch of men, when they introduced a family that was there because their son wanted to go to a Rockies game as part of his Make A Wish vacation (had cancer).

#25 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 04:25 PM

Have any of you tried to watch TLC's Surprise Homecoming??

My god that is a bad idea for a pregnant woman!  I can't even watch the previews without getting chocked up!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#26 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 PM

I'm with you Chiki!! I cry SO stinkin' hard during that show it is ridiculous!! My hormones are still AWFUL!

#27 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilichiki View Post

Have any of you tried to watch TLC's Surprise Homecoming??

My god that is a bad idea for a pregnant woman!  I can't even watch the previews without getting chocked up!

YES!  I watched the preview and got choked up!!!  I decided I better not watch the actual show.

#28 of 34 Old 08-02-2011, 07:33 PM

for anyone who has given birth to both a son and a daughter, i'm wondering if you remember any differences in how you felt, hormonally.  each of my three boy pregnancies have been pretty easy on the nerves, but i feel so hormonal/touchy/moody this go around, and i have no idea why.  just wondering if maybe it's a baby girl thing (or maybe i just need more sleep!)

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#29 of 34 Old 08-03-2011, 05:20 AM

My hormones were even keel with both kids during pregnancy, it was after that I had problems. PPAD with my daughter but not my son.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#30 of 34 Old 08-08-2011, 08:12 PM

I think my emptions are turning now from irritable to depressed. UGH! Both my husband and I are so excited to be having another baby... I literally just can't wait :) but my hormones today are really getting the best of me. I'm feeling sad and unloved -- I can't decide if I'm crazy or if my husband needs to step up the love... I'm also super craving constant pampering, which is very unlike me. How is everyone else feeling? 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page