lightheaded/ dizzy/ fatigued - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-20-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ok, i know that all these things can be common during pg anyway, but for me (this is my third pg) they seem sort of extreme. granted, everything has been extreme with this pg so far. i'm super nauseated and sick. i turned 8 weeks yesterday. anyway, the dizzy feeling and fatigue was so bad at one point yesterday i had to brace myself against the washing machine because i thought i was going to pass out. i haven't had that at all with either of my other two pgs. i thought maybe i was dehydrated so i've been drinking a lot of water, but that doesn't seem to be doing anything either. i'm on my feet a LOT, teaching a class of 11 2 year olds, and i can't tell if it's just too much for me or what. any idea what it could be? i am so ready for the 2nd tri. i don't know how much longer i can handle being sick :( . i don't need to be dizzy and stuff on top of it. blah.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#2 of 15 Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 PM

i think its pretty normal with my first pregnancy i didnt feel sick at all barley ever even felt pregnant i was full of energy and ready to go with this one i feel exactly how you described  i cant wait for it to go away either try lemon drops the real ones they seem to help me with the nausau

#3 of 15 Old 06-20-2011, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Dizziness is one of the strongest symptoms I've had so far... I don't have much advice, other than to stand up slowly, stay hydrated, eat every two hours, don't get winded... the usual stuff.  I guess it's true that every pregnancy is different. ;)

As a former pre-school teacher, I can't IMAGINE having to work with rugrats during the first trimester.  Kudos to you...

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#4 of 15 Old 06-20-2011, 10:32 PM

Hang in there!

I've been very lightheaded (and exhausted) too. . .not to the point of dizzy, but anytime I get up from sitting or squatting (which you do a lot with a toddler) I have to stop for a minute and let the head rush pass. And I have so little energy. . .ugh. I hope that I get the second tri burst of energy soon, b/c this is killer.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#5 of 15 Old 06-20-2011, 11:34 PM

I got dizzy frequently, to the point of bracing myself, with my last pregnancy.  I was extremely fatigued then, too.  This time I'm nauseated and lightheaded.  Luckily my symptoms have been spread out, but the nausea alone has me yearning for the second trimester this time.  Hang in there! 

--Dana

#6 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

This is my 4th and I tend to get very light-headed as well.  This pregnancy, I have fainted 3 times.  It sucks.  The nausea is worse after fainting and once I found myself on the bathroom floor after throwing up and passing out in it.  I am 13 weeks now (late Dec/early Jan due date) and the dizziness has mostly passed.  

No advice, just lots of empathy.  Water and salty foods seemed to help a bit.  But mostly, I just stayed flat in bed during the worst of it.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#7 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 AM

I feel this way in the mornings. Like when I'm standing in the kitchen making breakfast, I will just all of a sudden feel like all of my energy has been drained all at once, and get dizzy and lightheaded and I have to go lay down because I feel like I might pass out. I talked to a midwife about it yesterday and she thinks it's a protein issue. Told me to eat a high protein snack before bed and immediately when I wake up in the morning, before I worry about the kids. She had some good ideas like keeping hard boiled eggs in the fridge, or cheese sliced into sticks so I won't have to spend any time preparing it in the morning. She also thinks I need to eat a lot more calories in general, including lots of protein throughout the day, since my toddler still nurses a ton. And of course keep up on water intake.

It hasn't made a difference today but I assume it will take a little time for things to balance out if I have deficiencies going on.

#8 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 05:10 PM

I feel like that when I get overtired....you know, when you ignored signs of needing a nap and try to make it through the rest of the day. Well, every time I do that, I get really lightheaded and dizzy like that....also nauseous. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#9 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I am dealing with this as well. The other day I actually passed out when walking from one room to another. I am trying to stay hydrated and eating often. Changing positions quickly gets me into trouble, so I try to just stand for a moment before walking. It is not a great feeling and the waking up on my diningroom floor is something I don't want to repeat anytime real soon.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#10 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

so sorry to hear a lot of you are feeling the same way! glad to hear it's probably normal, though. i haven't passed out yet, but i almost did while trying to get some laundry in the dryer. lol. i feel like i remember hearing protein could help last time i was pg, so i'll try that out. most of it doesn't sound good right now though, blegh. come on 2nd tri! lol.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#11 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

It could be several things such as hypoglycemia, dehydration, inner ear issues, changes in blood pressure, anemia, etc. Once everything else is ruled out, it is most likely normal. I have experienced it with all of my pregnancies with #2 and this one being the worst. Ugh.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#12 of 15 Old 06-21-2011, 08:37 PM

Hugs to you! I can't imagine tending to all those babes right now! I am all of the things you mentioned. To help with the dizziness I just have to move slow ie going from laying down, to sit (pause), to stand (pause) to walk.  Take care of yourself!

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#13 of 15 Old 06-22-2011, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I have been told (in my case) that it is very normal.  With the increase in blood volume and the natural drop in blood pressure that happens mid pregnancy, light-headedness is expected.  My blood pressure tends to be very low normally and then drops really low when I am pregnant.  And low pressure means more woozy feelings.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#14 of 15 Old 06-23-2011, 07:02 AM

I get lightheaded during pregnancy too, because my blood pressure gets so low (my normal BP is about 110/70, during my pregnancies it's often closer to 80/50!) I find that drinking plenty of water helps, and eating every few hours so low blood sugar doesn't make it worse.  I also find that changing positions slowly is helpful, although it does make me feel about 80 years old to do that.

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

#15 of 15 Old 06-23-2011, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DDCC (I'm a Dec due date).  I get this too but have a history of actually fainting so had to see a cardiologist, etc.  For me, it is low blood pressure.  I totally crave salt and he said to eat as much as I want.  It definitely helps when I am getting dizzy and it is actually dangerous for me to limit my salt in any way.  I have a friend with the same thing.  If you find out your blood pressure is low, or even if not, I'd try eating more salty foods and see if you feel any better. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page