Boobs. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 07-05-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mine feel way bigger and heavy already.  Pre pregnancy I often went braless around the house cause I'm pretty perky, but they feel like they want to be supported much more now.  Only my sports bras fit.  I'm thinking about getting a new bra or two, but I'm concerned that my boob growth is going to be crazy and I'll end up having to get like 5 different sizes.  I've already gone from a 34c to a 34d and I'm not even 14 weeks yet.  

For experienced mamas, how many cup sizes did you grow and when?  What is your bra solution?  Nursing bras?  Cheap bras you don't feel bad about outgrowing quickly?  

Also, please tell me the sore nipple thing will go away soon.  It's getting real old.

#2 of 27 Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 PM

I've never changed bra size due to pregnancy or nursing.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#3 of 27 Old 07-05-2011, 06:07 PM

Hm, I'm a first time mama but my sore nipples are gone now..did as soon (it seemed like) that I entered the 2nd tri. So far I've gone up at least a cup size..I was a 36 dd I think? Pre preg..smallest I had been since middle school! and now I think I'm very close to the ddd range again. Wondering myself..my mom said the only reason she has boobs is because of having kids..lol she was an A cup for the longest time and then became a 36? C after kids - and they stayed! There's my 2 cents (:

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#4 of 27 Old 07-05-2011, 06:39 PM

In my first pregnancy I went from a 34B to a 38D... and then up to a 40H when my milk came in ;)  My sore nipples lasted at least halfway through. 

In subsequent pregnancies I only went up about two cup sizes until after the baby was born, and no nipple soreness.  This time at 14 weeks I just moved into a bigger bra.

#5 of 27 Old 07-05-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softlysinging View Post

In my first pregnancy I went from a 34B to a 38D... and then up to a 40H when my milk came in ;)  My sore nipples lasted at least halfway through. 

In subsequent pregnancies I only went up about two cup sizes until after the baby was born, and no nipple soreness.  This time at 14 weeks I just moved into a bigger bra.

Oh MY LORD!! Hello BOOBS!

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#6 of 27 Old 07-06-2011, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow!  This is exactly the scenario that makes me want to avoid buying bras for as long as possible.  I haven't even thought about my band size increasing, though I know that later in pregnancy the rib cage expands some.  Were you sized for bras by a bra fitter as your shape changed or did you just try on different sizes until you found one that seemed right?  The only reason I ask is that I can't wrap my head around why engorgement would cause your band size to jump from 38 to 40 since I thought engorgement just affected breast tissue and not further expansion of the rib cage.  

It's so interesting that the responses so far have ranged from absolutely no change at all to an increase of 3 band sizes and 6 cup sizes!  I guess none of us can really predict what our boobs will do during pregnancy.

#7 of 27 Old 07-06-2011, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

First-timer here, but at 13 weeks my boobs have already outgrown my largest bras (38D, which were enormous pre-pregnancy).  Strangely enough, my boobs seem to be getting wider, not larger, if that makes any sense, so I can see why the band size would increase.  As for sore nipples, mine are not as bad as during the 1st tri but they're definitely making their presence known.  My mom told me I should rub them at least twice a day to get them "seasoned" in preparation for breastfeeding, but just a gentle rub makes me scream in pain... :(

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#8 of 27 Old 07-06-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidink View Post

Wow!  This is exactly the scenario that makes me want to avoid buying bras for as long as possible.  I haven't even thought about my band size increasing, though I know that later in pregnancy the rib cage expands some.  Were you sized for bras by a bra fitter as your shape changed or did you just try on different sizes until you found one that seemed right?  The only reason I ask is that I can't wrap my head around why engorgement would cause your band size to jump from 38 to 40 since I thought engorgement just affected breast tissue and not further expansion of the rib cage.  

Oh I think the increase in band size was probably just from extra pounds I packed on at the end, and maybe some swelling from fluids from the birth.  I gained a LOT of weight that pregnancy.  My boobs got seriously huge though.  If I'd stayed a 34-36 band size I don't know if the alphabet goes high enough for what my cup size would have been.  As far as fittings, just the people at Motherhood.  I don't know if they count as actual bra fitters or not.  But this time I did some online calculators when I was buying a new bra (last week) and with the same measurements, I was given everything from 38AA (lol.gif) to 34B to 34DD.  When i went to Target to buy something, the ones that fit me best were 34D, and "Large".  Very specific.  

#9 of 27 Old 07-06-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

My mom told me I should rub them at least twice a day to get them "seasoned" in preparation for breastfeeding, but just a gentle rub makes me scream in pain... :(

IMO, the best "seasoning" is a baby.  Honestly, I'd leave 'em alone and just hold tight.  For some, myself included, nursing didn't/doesn't hurt (with the exception of thrush).

chilichiki likes this.

Angela
#10 of 27 Old 07-06-2011, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If I'd stayed a 34-36 band size I don't know if the alphabet goes high enough for what my cup size would have been.  

ROTFLMAO.gif I LOLed!  

As far as fitting bras goes, I've found my best results from saleswomen at high-end department stores or lingerie boutiques even though most of my bras are from target and victoria's secret.  It's hard to measure yourself for a bra and get accurate results.  It's also frustrating that there seems to be little sizing continuity between brands.  Boo.

#11 of 27 Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

First-timer here, but at 13 weeks my boobs have already outgrown my largest bras (38D, which were enormous pre-pregnancy).  Strangely enough, my boobs seem to be getting wider, not larger, if that makes any sense, so I can see why the band size would increase.  As for sore nipples, mine are not as bad as during the 1st tri but they're definitely making their presence known.  My mom told me I should rub them at least twice a day to get them "seasoned" in preparation for breastfeeding, but just a gentle rub makes me scream in pain... :(

My nipples are still outrageously sensitive, though not quite as bad as the first tri.  In the shower I had to shield them from the water spray for the first couple months.  I guess I better start seasoning them! 

#12 of 27 Old 07-06-2011, 08:08 AM

I've also had good luck with bra extenders.  They're cheap and you have a little more give, until you have a better idea of what your band size is.  They save my life because technically I'm supposed to be a 42B/C (boobs haven't decided yet).  Yeah, try finding THAT size at Target.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#13 of 27 Old 07-06-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchobhar View Post

I've also had good luck with bra extenders.  They're cheap and you have a little more give, until you have a better idea of what your band size is.  They save my life because technically I'm supposed to be a 42B/C (boobs haven't decided yet).  Yeah, try finding THAT size at Target.

If you're in the market for a bra that fits really well, figleaves.com carries (almost) every conceivable size.  They have a good range of prices, too.  I'm a bit hesitant to order bras online just because returning them seems like a hassle if they don't fit right, but a friend of mine who has an unusual bra size swears by them and says their return policy/protocol is easy.  I'll probably be ordering from them once I size out of Target's bras (i.e. any day now) 

Also, for anyone who suspects they might be wearing the wrong bra size, their website has some great instructions for fitting yourself & common signs that your bra isn't the right size for you.  

#14 of 27 Old 07-06-2011, 10:21 AM

egads, don't *season* your nipples.  they aren't a steak.  that's outdated info, you don't need to torture yourself!!

#15 of 27 Old 07-06-2011, 10:23 AM

Hi I am new. I have 4 kids. Before pregnancy I was a 40C and Now I am a 44DD.

#16 of 27 Old 07-07-2011, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:

egads, don't *season* your nipples.  they aren't a steak.  that's outdated info, you don't need to torture yourself!!

I'm not sure it's outdated for all women... My mom's a doctor and she has seen many chaffed and bleeding nipples from breastfeeding gone awry.   Perhaps not everyone suffers (thankfully!) but heck, here's one way DH can feel useful during my pregnancy (as long as he's gentle)!  Sheepish.gif

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#17 of 27 Old 07-07-2011, 08:29 AM

With DS I went from a 34A pre-pregnancy to a 36DD the day my milk came in. They settled in at a 34D. I'm 12w5d and my nipples are SORE and my breasts feel and look "full", but my bras are still(barely) fitting. My mom had four children and went from a 32AA to a 34A each time. I have a friend who's 31w and she wears and is still wearing a 38DD. Proof that no two pairs are alike :)

#18 of 27 Old 07-07-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure it's outdated for all women... My mom's a doctor and she has seen many chaffed and bleeding nipples from breastfeeding gone awry.   Perhaps not everyone suffers (thankfully!) but heck, here's one way DH can feel useful during my pregnancy (as long as he's gentle)!  Sheepish.gif

"from breastfeeding gone awry" is the key there.  the chafing and bleeding are caused by a latch issue, not unseasoned nipples.  which isn't to say there can't be a little soreness as you adjust to nursing, but cracked bleeding nipples are a sign of a problem and should be addressed.

but if it makes you feel better, go for it.  they're your nipples ;)

#19 of 27 Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:

here's one way DH can feel useful during my pregnancy (as long as he's gentle)!  Sheepish.gif

Your husband is one lucky guy. Mine loses all teet access while I'm gestating and lactating. Poor guy thinks he's at freaking Disney World when he gets a touch!
chilichiki likes this.

Angela
#20 of 27 Old 07-07-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:

My mom told me I should rub them at least twice a day to get them "seasoned" in preparation for breastfeeding, but just a gentle rub makes me scream in pain... :(

My mom told me the same thing, but our expert lactation consultant recommended against it.  It's the stretching of the nipples that causes that initial discomfort anyway, which is something rubbing won't prepare you for.  I agree that breastfeeding gone awry is a totally different story.  I'd highly recommend that any pregnant woman line up a good lactation consultant and/or take a class before the baby comes! 

As for bra sizes, I got softer, stretchier bras that allowed for some expanding (and later shrinking) as I transitioned during pregnancy and nursing.  Then once my breasts settled into a size after nursing was established, I got more fitted nursing bras.  This method worked well for me.  I think I went up a couple cup sizes and a band size total.

#21 of 27 Old 07-07-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danamichele View Post

My mom told me the same thing, but our expert lactation consultant recommended against it.  It's the stretching of the nipples that causes that initial discomfort anyway, which is something rubbing won't prepare you for.  I agree that breastfeeding gone awry is a totally different story.  I'd highly recommend that any pregnant woman line up a good lactation consultant and/or take a class before the baby comes! 

As for bra sizes, I got softer, stretchier bras that allowed for some expanding (and later shrinking) as I transitioned during pregnancy and nursing.  Then once my breasts settled into a size after nursing was established, I got more fitted nursing bras.  This method worked well for me.  I think I went up a couple cup sizes and a band size total.

Agreeing on everything you said!  Line up a Lactation Consultant before you have a kid.  Even if you think you can handle it.

And yes on the stretchier bras.  If I recall, my main bra post-natal was a nursing sports bra that stretched and shrunk as my boobs allowed.  Not to mention, the fitted nursing bras are harder to fold down and keep from whacking the baby in the face every couple seconds.  Softer sports bras were more comfortable.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#22 of 27 Old 07-11-2011, 09:50 AM

I don't usually wear a bra either, except during pregnancy and early nursing. Typically I use a sports bra for exercizing and that's it. I feel like I need a little support right now, though, and my favorite bra right now is a Barely There Microfiber #103. It has fairly light support that some people complain they don't feel ANY support, but feels very good to me - I think it's a good bra for those of us who usually hate to wear a bra and don't want to be restricted, KWIM? It is called "barely there" after all! I have several, and just ordered some more because I'm finding that I want to wear them regularly. I'm probably about a 36C and I wear XL. According to the first review, though, XL also comfortably fits a woman who wears 24W (and could go much larger), so I think it should stretch for quite a bit of of growth in cup size and chest size.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012QOEUS

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#23 of 27 Old 07-11-2011, 06:02 PM

i had just gone back down to my normal size (32 dd) before getting pg this time because i'd just quit nursing. now i'm still wearing the same bras, but they're waaay too small. i need to size up. i'm thinking i'm probably a g cup? not really sure. when my milk comes in it's a joke- they're enormous!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#24 of 27 Old 07-12-2011, 05:52 AM

Mine have gotten slightly bigger, but I'm still wearing the same bras. Though they are heavier and even perkier. I'm usually a 75C (um, that would mean a 34C, I think, for most of you here), though pre-ovulation my bras always felt a tad loose.

Last time, they went up not even a cup size during pregnancy (maybe 1/2 a size?). They went up about a cup size once my milk came in, though. Biggest they've ever been. winky.gif My band size never changed. After I stopped breastfeeding, they went down to around my normal size, though maybe very slightly smaller, even. confused.gif I don't care so much how big they are, so long as they look relatively normal on my body. smile.gif

Regarding sensitive nipples, mine are more sensitive around ovulation and especially during pregnancy. Good sensitive. They are bad sensitive while breastfeeding. Showers were not fun, ouch. They were also kind of sore for the first couple of weeks post birth. Here's what I did, which helped me: used lanolin (I think it's called the same in the US?) on the nipples; massaged the breasts gently with oil for a few minutes after breastfeeding, which helped with the general sore feeling; wore pads on the nipples (not breast pads for leaking, which never happened to me, but these smooth pads like the glossy underside of a bandage) to cut out chaffing.

Mama to our little boy (3) babyf.gif , the amazing super squirmer, almost born in the taxi...

and our new baby girl stork-girl.gif, caught by her daddy in our bathtub!

#25 of 27 Old 07-13-2011, 06:20 PM

I'm buying nursing bras in a slightly loose cup size.  My band size never changed last pregnancy.  My boobs grew during pregnancy, but slowly shrank back while I was nursing, so I figure I'll get pregnancy use and then nursing use.

#26 of 27 Old 07-13-2011, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My breasts have at least double in size and I am still a week off from my second trimester.  This happened with my last pregnancy as well.  I ended up buying sports bra style nursing bras.  That's pretty much what I have been wearing this pregnancy and its soo comfortable, especially with all the soreness/tenderness my breasts have been feeling.  My nipples are crazy sensitive too.

I don't think 'seasoning' really does that much good. As said before, if its hurting when you breastfeed, chances are you are doing it wrong.

I know so many moms that had their child, breastfed for a couple days and then gave up because of the pain/discomfort. I will admit, for the first week there I was sooo ready to throw in the towel, but after some practice and dedication we got things turned around and it was a totally new experience, I can't wait to have that with this new one!!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#27 of 27 Old 07-14-2011, 06:05 AM

Mine are getting quite large. It's all very exciting for me because I was a small/medium chested woman and I think I am going to be a member of the WEAP club by the time I ave the baby. I am avoiding new bra shopping for now because I think they are still growing. Sometimes they itch though. And it's not like I can scratch in public.....

Just your friendly neighborhood graduate student.
My BudgetBlog budgetandbargain.blogspot.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page