Maternity clothes--where can I find my style stuff? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 07-08-2011, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm getting really frustrated trying to find clothes to wear. I gave away all previously owned maternity stuff so I had to start from stratch. Right now, I have 2 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of jeans and 3 shirts from the Gap and that's it! Needless to say, I need more! 

I'm a size 10 now (was a size 8) and my butt and saddlebags are holding nearly all the weight I've gained so skinny jeans and draping jersey cotton skirts are not flattering at all.  I really want to find more shorts with the 5-6 inches panel at the waist and 5-7 inch long inseams with maybe some cute cargo pockets or something. I found a couple of pairs on Old Navy's site but I don't think they look well made--I don't like the buttons on them either. I also really want a few elastic waist or drawstring a-line calf-length skirts that don't cling to the hips...maybe thicker cotton or hemp as the fabric. I typically wear JCrew, Gap, Patagonia and Horny Toad style clothing----think simple, outdoorsy and slightly hippy. It seems like all the websites I come across sell mostly chic, trendy maternity clothes that I would never wear.  Any suggestions???? If you share the same style, what are you wearing these days and from where did you buy it??

Amy Dsilva likes this.

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#2 of 40 Old 07-08-2011, 08:39 AM

I have the same problem.  I'm an Eddie Bauer/Columbia/outdoorsy kind of gal.  I've had decent luck at Old Navy, but I always look in person.  Most of what I'm wearing right now came from Once Upon a Child.  There's a store about 30 miles away that carries second-hand maternity, and I hit the jackpot when I went there.  I couldn't find anything at Kohl's or Motherhood, which are the only other stores near here that carry any decent maternity clothes.  My biggest problem is that when I find a style I like, it's always in bright, flashy colors.  I like earth tones, not bright.

Have you tried ebay?  I had great luck there with my last pregnancy and found a few hippy-type tops that were really cute.  I also remember seeing a lot of Gap maternity clothes that weren't too expensive.  It makes me crazy to shell out a bunch of money on stuff I'll only wear for 9 months of my life (plus any subsequent pregnancies), but I refuse to wear clothes that make me feel even cruddier than I already do!

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#3 of 40 Old 07-08-2011, 09:04 AM

I was going to suggest ebay too.  The maternity styles have changed a ton since I had my first 7 years ago, and my favorite clothes are those from my 2nd pregnancy in 2007.  I have gone on ebay to replace my favorite pair of jean cargo shorts.

#4 of 40 Old 07-08-2011, 09:24 AM

You might want to look around at diaperswappers (if you don't mind used clothing) as there are a ton of procreating women selling stuff over there!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#5 of 40 Old 07-08-2011, 10:22 AM

Ugh, I have the same problem-- and I'm petite!  Petite maternity clothes I don't hate are hard to come by.  I wore clothes I hated my entire last pregnancy (almost all pink), and I refuse to do so again.  I want to feel better about myself than that.  So I'm on the lookout for some decent clothes, which will probably require another trip into the big city an hour away.  Even though it's pricier, they have stuff there I can try one and I actually like and feel good in.  And I don't have to buy anything I don't LOVE, because I already have clothes I don't love.  Sorry I'm not more help though.  :/

#6 of 40 Old 07-08-2011, 11:08 AM

While I don't have the same style as you, I have the same problem.  In addition to being really tall (5'11") the majority of clothes I like are androgynous/modern/rocker type things in dark colors.  Most of what I've found as far as tops are frilly empire waist things in bright colors.  Skinny jeans are ok, but I can't find any maternity ones that are long enough.  I hate shopping with a fiery rage, making this even more frustrating.  So I guess I don't have any suggestions, but I'd love to hear some from any other tall and not-at-all-girly mamas out there.

#7 of 40 Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidink View Post

While I don't have the same style as you, I have the same problem.  In addition to being really tall (5'11") the majority of clothes I like are androgynous/modern/rocker type things in dark colors.  Most of what I've found as far as tops are frilly empire waist things in bright colors.  Skinny jeans are ok, but I can't find any maternity ones that are long enough.  I hate shopping with a fiery rage, making this even more frustrating.  So I guess I don't have any suggestions, but I'd love to hear some from any other tall and not-at-all-girly mamas out there.

Now THIS I can help with!!!!

http://www.stellamaternity.com/punk.html

http://www.mamasanmaternity.com/

http://www.ticci.hu/maternity/index.html

http://www.trendytummymaternity.com/rock-maternity.html

http://store.urbanbabyrunway.com/maternity.html

(BTW, when kiddo comes - http://www.punkbabyclothes.net)

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#8 of 40 Old 07-08-2011, 12:20 PM

If any of you sew there are patterns out there.  Megan Nielson makes some - http://shop.megannielsen.com/category/sewing-patterns

I am not a sewer, but desperately want a few of these tops - http://shop.megannielsen.com/product/mn1003-wrap-around-maternity-top-pdf-sewing-pattern

Angela
#9 of 40 Old 07-08-2011, 01:09 PM

I tend to dress similarly, and believe it or not, Old Navy and Motherhood Maternity have done decently for me.  You may really have to LOOK, and I've never ended up with a TON of stuff, but between those two, ebay, and thrift stores, I've done some decent additions to my maternity wardrobe.  (I am a size bigger this pregnancy vs. previous ones.)

I have been living in two pairs of cargo shorts from Motherhood (with the big stretchy over-the-belly waistband that I just LOVE) and an Old Navy prairie skirt from several years ago (that I wish I had bought in more than one color.)  I bought a black maternity sundress from Sears a few years ago that I wear at least twice a week, and have a jersey maternity dress from a Motherhood Outlet that I also absolutely love.  (In fact, whenever we go on a weekend getaway or vacation, I always scope out the outlet malls that will be on the way before we leave to see if there is a Motherhood Outlet nearby.  They have a whole separate line - or they change out the labels? - for their outlet stores.)

I've been on the lookout for jeans, since the end of this pregnancy will be in the fall/winter, but haven't found any that I'm in love with yet, either the fit or the bedazzling/embroidery/other weird stuff that manufacturers feel compelled to do to perfectly fine jeans.

My point is, don't be afraid to venture into random stores like Motherhood and see if they have any classic pieces that are hidden in all that trendyness.

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#10 of 40 Old 07-08-2011, 03:20 PM

Thanks conchobar!  

This afternoon I swallowed my trepidation and attempted to shop for maternity pants.  I went to the sad, sad mall in my town.  The only place that had jeans that were long enough was motherhood, but they weren't quite the fit I like and they felt waaay too stretchy, like if I wear them for an hour the butt will be all saggy.  I've never worn maternity jeans, is that a realistic fear?  

I also went to all the dismal little corners in department stores set aside for maternity clothes.  Nada.  Target was also a disappointment.  greensad.gif   Gap and Old Navy in my town don't carry maternity stuff, I have to drive more than an hour to get to the nearest ones that do.   I hate shopping and I hate driving almost as much.  I think I'm going to do the entirety of my clothes shopping online and just send stuff back if it doesn't fit.  

#11 of 40 Old 07-08-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

I am not a sewer, but desperately want a few of these tops - http://shop.megannielsen.com/product/mn1003-wrap-around-maternity-top-pdf-sewing-pattern

That top is so cute.  I have 4 sewing projects in the queue, but I totally want to skip them all and make ten of those tops in different colors.

#12 of 40 Old 07-08-2011, 04:34 PM

I am so dreading the time when I completely don't fit into my regular clothes. For the summer I have some shorts with elastic waists, a skort and some Enwrapshure Vintage skirts, and my teeshirts all fit fine. Come fall I'm screwed. My jeans didn't fit anymore when summer weather rolled around, so I HAVE to do something there, and I'll want at least one dressier pair of pants too. And I'll need some longer shirts too. But if it's hard finding plus sized, non-totally-trendy clothing NOW, I'm dreading finding plus sized maternity clothes. That doesn't have sequins and weird embroidery etc on it, AND doesn't cost a fortune.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#13 of 40 Old 07-08-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:

That top is so cute.  I have 4 sewing projects in the queue, but I totally want to skip them all and make ten of those tops in different colors.

I know!  I'm *this* close to buying the pattern and pulling out the sewing machine I bought a year ago and still haven't bothered to learn.  I read somewhere that it's a good pattern for beginners.

Angela
#14 of 40 Old 07-08-2011, 06:36 PM

i totally hear you, squid.  i am a thin 6'2", and i have a hard enough time finding pants to fit me when i'm NOT pregnant.  finding decent maternity clothes for my frame is never fun.

i also confess that i hate shopping, especially for clothes, and i'm super picky about where i buy things and where they were made.  i will probably start with consignment shops, where i hope to find an eclectic mix of clothes.  emphasis: hope.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#15 of 40 Old 07-08-2011, 07:13 PM

You want to know what I found in my basement today?  I know you do!

The box of stuff ready to go to the Goodwill...which I thought I had already taken.  With clothes from my son's pregnancy!  He was due same as this kid so the season's match.  Go me and my complete procrastination.  So now I'm set with two pairs of capris for Summer, two pairs of jeans, two pairs of pants, and a couple of tops.  Woot!

Angela
#16 of 40 Old 07-08-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:

Thanks conchobar!  

This afternoon I swallowed my trepidation and attempted to shop for maternity pants.  I went to the sad, sad mall in my town.  The only place that had jeans that were long enough was motherhood, but they weren't quite the fit I like and they felt waaay too stretchy, like if I wear them for an hour the butt will be all saggy.  I've never worn maternity jeans, is that a realistic fear?  

I also went to all the dismal little corners in department stores set aside for maternity clothes.  Nada.  Target was also a disappointment.  greensad.gif   Gap and Old Navy in my town don't carry maternity stuff, I have to drive more than an hour to get to the nearest ones that do.   I hate shopping and I hate driving almost as much.  I think I'm going to do the entirety of my clothes shopping online and just send stuff back if it doesn't fit.  

Oh, do you have a H&M near you? They have really awesome maternity stuff that is much more on the rocker girl side of things (or at least less frilly). . .problem being they don't sell online (or maybe they do by now, check it out).  But I love H&M pregnant or not.

The other thing I did last pg is to just shop for regular clothes (works best for tops) and buy them either bigger or buy on'es that just happen to be more flowy.  I wore lots of non maternity stuff last time.  Also anything with an elastic waist like many skirts or yoga type pants. 

I tend to be just fine with Old Navy. Gap is a bit pricey, although I like their stuff. Target sometimes works. Basically, I don't sweat it too much since it's not something I have to wear for years to come!  I actually care a lot more about finding really good nursing shirts!  

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#17 of 40 Old 07-09-2011, 05:19 AM

^^^Such a good suggestion! I mostly wear non- maternity, too, since I gain so little and it all goes in my mid section. Most shirts fit through the whole pregnancy. Are empire waist shirts still "in"? They would be perfect.

Angela
#18 of 40 Old 07-09-2011, 06:20 AM

Yeah I always scour the $5 t-shirt section at target and get some in bigger sizes.  they are SUPER thin too which is awesome at the end when you don't want too much material touching you.

#19 of 40 Old 07-09-2011, 07:19 AM

I didn't even think of H&M!  I used to shop at one all the time when I lived near one.  Thanks kismet.  The nearest one is like an hour and a half away, but if I get desperate enough I might just have to take drive & hit old navy, gap & H&M.  In other news, last night an acquaintance offered me her belly bands from her last pregnancy, so I can probably wear my pre-pregnancy jeans for another month.  

#20 of 40 Old 07-09-2011, 08:32 AM

I agree about how ugly maternity clothes can be. And let me age myself when I tell you that when I was pregnant with my son (who is 21) they were WAY worse. I am impressed so far with what I've found. I got a few basics from old navy (skirt, yoga pants and a plain dress - on sale all for less than $50!) and a pair of dark wash jeans from pea/pod (also on sale, otherwise, too spendy). I am still only 14 weeks so I don't need to wear everything maternity yet but I can tell it's coming soon. My plan is to check out the local thrift store. I am really lucky to live in a city where people rely heavily on reuse/thrift/free cycle so I know the choices will be good. I agree about H&M - I went in there early on and saw some super cute stuff. I may go back again soon.

Any of you mamas buy those maternity/nursing tops and or dresses? I am wondering if they are worth it at all.

Mama to AJS - 22, CRS -17 and forever in my heart GHAB 8/5/11/(18 weeks) angel2.gif

#21 of 40 Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 AM

I have a bunch of maternity/nursing tops and a couple dresses. . .but IMO hardly any of them are truly both maternity and nursing. More like early pg and postpartum, but none of them will fit me from 7-9 months when I get that huge watermelon belly!   And with my first I had no idea what kind of nursing tops would work for me. . .there are lots of styles of openings for instance. Now I know so I will buy stuff if I find it, but last time I waited till after ds was born to worry about nursing wear.

I need to make a jaunt to H&M too. . .the nearest one for me is 30min which would be fine *without* a toddler!  He is not into shopping. May have to leave him with DH some weekend day.  

I actually found quite a lot of maternity at a rummage sale though for quite cheap. that's always a good option if you have the patience and willingness to do used. Maternity is usually gently used!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#22 of 40 Old 07-09-2011, 08:22 PM

kismet (and others) were do you recommend finding nursing/maternity tops. I didn't invest in any before DS. Since I'm still nursing, I thought about getting a few... I just wore tops that I pulled up w/ a tank underneath, but that didn't work well for some situations! I would love a nice nursing dress, but I'm scared to buy online. I hate shopping/trying on things anyways, but I think I'd be too lazy to send something back in the mail. Our town isn't very nursing top friendly so online is probably my best bet.

There's a couple of new consignment shops that I'm hoping to go to soon. Hopefully they will have something. I had some luck trading some maternity clothes for a different size w/ a lady on craigslist. There will sometimes be listings for whole wardrobes of maternity stuff under the babies/kids section.

aj- married to JA and mami to Bug (11/09) and Critter (1/12)!

#23 of 40 Old 07-09-2011, 09:44 PM

Old Navy has a couple of nursing tops I like, but their selection is very limited.  I actually like Motherhood for nursing tops, even though I don't love them much for maternity. For me, I just have to be aware of what style openings I'm getting, b/c if it's a double layer pull-up style then I can do that myself with a normal shirt and an undershirt as you said. But I really like the kind that have hidden openings. BOOB designs has my all time fav nursing shirts and they have some dresses, but they are way pricey. So sometimes I stalk them for sales, but only have a couple from them. As I said, I don't know which nursing shirts will really double as maternity. . .at least in the 3rd tri. Not sure what I'll do then except hope my ds isn't nursing in public much anymore!

Here I'll look for a few links to some tops I like. . .

this is my fav top from Old Navy, they are on clearance right now and have NO sizes left, but I can only imagine they will get more in (I hope!). Maybe in new colors or something. http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=41578&vid=1&pid=655390&scid=655390022

This maternity dress from Old Navy might work for BFing too since it has the wrap front:

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=48687&vid=1&pid=855631&scid=855631032

Another shirt, this is the kind of opening I prefer:

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=41578&vid=1&pid=655390&scid=655390022

I'd love to hear if anyone else has nursing top ideas hat might work for maternity as well. . hmmm maybe we need to start our own thread instead of taking over this one. Sorry OP! 

#24 of 40 Old 07-09-2011, 11:04 PM

I have managed to get a few tank tops, a pair of cargo shorts and a few dresses from Motherhood.  Nowhere else carries much maternity clothes around here.  There is a small section at Target and maybe Kohl's but that's about it.  I have never had much luck shopping online, nothing ever fits right and then you have to factor in the price of return shipping so it doesn't really feel worth it.  Taking a trip up to Oregon next week, maybe I will look into some shopping on the trip, I know we will pass by an outlet mall...

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#25 of 40 Old 07-10-2011, 06:12 AM

I've never used a nursing top...and I've EBF both kids. What makes them so good? Just added modesty?

Angela
#26 of 40 Old 07-10-2011, 10:02 AM

angela, i only own a few nursing shirts (2?).  they never really worked for me and my kids.  all of my nurslings much preferred skin-to-skin, from a very young age.  kinda rendered the nursing shirts useless, when the kiddos would pull the shirts up, anyway.  i don't think i ever used them except when i was traveling through airports and such.  that was the only time i remember them having any value for me.  i don't think i'll be getting any this time around, either.  guess we'll see how it goes- i've found that it's always really hard to predict what it's going to be like nursing each babe.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#27 of 40 Old 07-10-2011, 03:12 PM

Sorry, OP, didn't mean to hijack the thread either!

Thanks, kismetbaby. I really like the top you have linked. I looked at gap.com today, but their nursing shirts seemed to be mainly just a plunging neckline... that's pretty easy to replicate in a non-nursing top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

I've never used a nursing top...and I've EBF both kids. What makes them so good? Just added modesty?

Since I didn't have a lot of nursing tanks sometimes I would end up with a clean one that was pink and a clashing outer shirt. Not a big deal, just when nursing in public you could tell I have the outer shirt pulled up more than if they were the same color or not clashing colors. They are definitely not a necessity, and I never felt immodest w/ the nursing tank covering my belly and the outer shirt covering as much as possible. Just a little more self-conscious (spl?), I guess.

I've emailed someone that wants only $30 dollars for a whole bag of maternity clothes (several shirts, shorts, jeans, jacket)! Hopefully she will email me back. I figure if there are things I don't like I can cosign them or sell at a garage sale.

aj- married to JA and mami to Bug (11/09) and Critter (1/12)!

#28 of 40 Old 07-10-2011, 04:00 PM

For me it's been two things (i.e. reason to wear actual nursing tops), 1) I have a very long torso and if I only wear one shirt and pull it up I wind up exposing a lot of belly, which for some reason bothers me more than showing boob! lol  And I don't love the double layer thing much, i.e. layering a nursing tank under a regular shirt. Works sometimes, but I often find it too bulky/bunchy.   2) I have just liked the ease of the hidden nursing openings. My ds is really impatient when it comes to BFing and I find I can get him the boob much quicker (and therefore with much less whining/fidgeting/etc) than if I was pulling up a double layer. But I'd say it's totally a personal preference. If you don't mind exposing the top part of your boob then any wrap style shirt or shirt with an elastic sort of neckline will work b/c then you just pull that down. I have also done this a lot, especially if I know we are just going to be around other mom's and I don't mind exposing a bit more.

There is always the nursing tank under a button-up shirt thing too. That works well if you have the patience for buttons. 

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled thread topic! :)  

#29 of 40 Old 07-13-2011, 10:38 AM

My sister is actually getting married a month and a half before I am due and I am expected to walk downt he aisle at this very fancy, formal wedding. Anyone know where I can get a decent maternity evening gown for less than a fortune? The whole evening gown thing seems kind of ridiculous to me. I'm going to be in a giant fabric tent or something. yeeeesh.

Just your friendly neighborhood graduate student.
My BudgetBlog budgetandbargain.blogspot.com

#30 of 40 Old 07-13-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleth View Post

My sister is actually getting married a month and a half before I am due and I am expected to walk downt he aisle at this very fancy, formal wedding. Anyone know where I can get a decent maternity evening gown for less than a fortune? The whole evening gown thing seems kind of ridiculous to me. I'm going to be in a giant fabric tent or something. yeeeesh.

My sister's getting married at the end of this month.  I feel your pain (though I just re-read your post...thought you said "in a month and a half", not that it's happening a month and a half before you're due...but I still kinda feel your pain).  Are you not restricted to a certain color or style?  That'd be awesome (I'm stuck with floor-length and bright turquoise, if it makes you feel any better).  I ended up getting mine at David's Bridal.  Just basically found a couple that are a size bigger, with empire waists and tried them on until one felt right.  David's Bridal also has "tummy pillows", if you need to get the gown now.  And mine ended up being under $100, because it was on sale.

NOTE:  I typically don't recommend David's for anything (bad, bad company), but they do manage to have a wide variety of dresses, so it's easier to find one that's preggo-friendly.

My last pregnancy, I had a formal ball that I went to, at 6 months pregnant.  It was TOUGH to find a formal dress.  I ended up finding a dress at one of those formal dress stores in the mall (the ones that have the "hot chica" clothes on one side of the store and the formal gowns on the other).  It was empire, with light, pleated fabric for the skirt, so lots of give...looked very nice and didn't look like a fabric tent.  I have pictures, if you want to see what worked for me.  Granted, I'm not the smallest preggo chick, so everything I'm suggesting could possibly not work for you...

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page