Home Birth Mamas? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 07-21-2011, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wish insurance companies were better about covering HB. It makes so much sense for them to do so, since it is so much less expensive for them than hospital births. Basically, when we have a HB, the insurance company gets a huge break at our expense.

I should look into renting a tub, I had a water birth last time and it was great. I didn't get into the tub until I was about ready to push, because things went pretty fast and the tub wasn't ready yet, but I really enjoyed it when I was in there.

For me, getting to a HB was kind of a process. My husband wasn't comfortable with it last time, and I wasn't committed to it enough to push, especially since we had access to a birth center. My first MW was a hospital based CNM, and her appts were really more OB-like than MW-like. Two things happened that made me wonder if she was right for me - my husband couldn't make it to the 4th appt, and she asked if she'd ever met him (yes! three times!) and that upset me (was I a person to her, or just one of way too many patients?!), then we toured the "birth center" which turned out to be a L&D ward in a hospital that had been renamed. I started looking for another MW right away, and I found a GREAT pair of MWs that worked out of a REAL MW-run birth center and could do birth center or homebirths. They were great and had hour long appts, and encouraged me to consider a HB next time around (since last time we felt better having DS in the birth center - DH felt safer and I was OK with it). I had a great experience, and now that we live across the country and don't have access to that kind of birth center, having a HB seems the natural choice.

I have heard that a LOT of mamas who want HBs do so because of a bad experience in the hospital the first time around, and the feeling that there has to be something that is better for the mama and the baby, especially after connecting with other naturally-minded mamas and learning about HBs. We are conditioned to think of the hospital as safe and homebirth as unsafe, so it takes learning and experience to get past that preconception and to realize that hospitals are actually NOT so safe as we think and homebirths can be as safe or safer than hospital births for most people.

Interestingly, there are different kinds of "safe" - there is safe in terms of preventing death and injury (which of course is very important) and dealing with emergencies, and there is also emotionally safe and that is something often ignored by hospitals.

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#32 of 56 Old 07-21-2011, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm a homebirthing mama too. The cost of my homebirth is less than the amount I'd have to pay in a birthcenter or hospital, even with the good insurance coverage. I love my midwife :)

Mother, wife, doula, and lactivist.
#33 of 56 Old 07-24-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm so happy that there are so many homebirth mamas in our DDC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgrrrl View Post

We are planning our third home birth and we are also very excited. We will be moving into our 'forever house' Sept 1 and it has a fireplace, I'm visualizing our birth happening in that room. joy.gif

I just barely realized that I could birth in front of the fireplace too! That would be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

Yay! Lotsa home birth mommies here! I'm in too.  I knew a hospital was not for me, as most pregnancies are not a raging medical emergency like mainstream medicine would have us believe.  Since learning I'm pregnant, I've felt a pretty deep intuition that I and my body are going to know what to do when the time comes (with pregnancy, labor and when the LO arrives).  I battle with myself though. I feel like I'm supposed to feel panicked, unsure and incompetent about the whole process and I really don't.  Am I being too "hands-off", isn't there a book I should be reading or something?

I see no problem with being "hands-off". I've been casually reading The Pregnancy Book just to see what baby's development is like, but other than that I don't really do anything. Just keep living life. My midwife was amazed I didn't have any questions last appointment. I'm just not worried about it this time. I know my body is capable of cooking a baby. :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post

Yep,  me too!  Had a homebirth last time and just couldn't imagine it any other way. It was wonderful.  And this time, I have started care with my ins covered hospital (will switch to a homebirth MW shortly) and it has only solidified my feelings even more. I just cannot imagine birthing in a hospital!  Even the prenatal appts are a bogus waste of my time compared to the care I will get with a HB MW.  Had a prenatal appt today with the hospital CNM and she spent all of 15min with me, was distracted the whole time, and will surely never remember my name. Ugh. I can't believe that is the standard of care for most women.

When I switched from my OB to my hospital midwife, I was amazed with the change in the care. Now that I'm with a homebirth midwife this time, I'm amazed with the type of care I'm getting in comparison again! There's virtually no time waiting and it's on nice little couches. She's not trying to figure out my name every time. She just goes about her business and we're out. It's lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkminnow View Post

I am just starting to look into a home birth or at least at a birthing center. First, I am not sure I can afford it since my insurance won't cover it at all, or any prenatal care through an outside midwife. Second, I need to gain some confidence that I can do this naturally, with no pain relief and keep my anxiety in check. This is my first baby and I am the only parent, although I have a close friend who will be with me during the pregnancy and for the birth. Did those of you who have done home birth ever struggle with the decision and your confidence? Thanks!

Penny

I researched the price a lot because my husband was really concerned about it. For us, the average that we would have paid out of pocket for a hospital birth (via articles online) was only about $500 less than ALL of the care for a midwife. My insurance also says it won't cover it, but I plan on petitioning it and hopefully getting part of it covered.

I would recommend you look into the Bradley Method. It's all about empowering you to and giving you the tools to take control of your birth. Your friend could easily be your Bradley partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirdlady View Post

This is my fourth pregnancy, but first home birth.  I've had three inductions (all of which were very successful, with no other interventions or issues), but I hate being bugged by nurses in the middle of the night, expected to write down every time I nurse or change a diaper, and forget about trying to co-sleep in a hospital bed.  Plus DH would have to be entertaining kids in a tiny hospital room, when it's a lot easier to send them to the playroom or put them down for a nap or grab them a snack from the kitchen or whatever.

I'm excited and afraid all at the same time.  I've never NOT had an epidural (and with the last one, we hooked up my epidural before the pit drip started, so I didn't feel a thing), so I'm very concerned about having issues with the pain, but also hoping that because this is my fourth, maybe it'll be on the "easy" side of things.  (HA!  Wishful thinking...)

I hated the hospital afterwards too. Also, read what I just said above about the Bradley Method. I can't recommend it enough.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#34 of 56 Old 07-24-2011, 10:35 PM

I'm not really active here, so first, "Hi!" I'm also planning a homebirth. This is our 4th baby, first homebirth. The other 3 were born at hospitals, 2 induced with pitocin and one born so quickly they had no chance to try any interventions. :)

cedarwoman, I'm concerned about weather too (at least we don't have any mountains). My last labor was 3 hours total, and either of the decent hospitals would be a 45 minute drive in good weather. There is also one a few blocks away that I have agreed to use only in a grave emergency. Anyway, weather was one contributing factor to choosing homebirth. I'd rather end up with a UC in the comfort of my home than stuck out in a snow drift somewhere between here and the hospital.

Me crochetsmilie.gif ife to DH geek.gif; Mommy to DS (5) biggrinbounce.gif , DS (4) jog.gif, and DD (2) diaper.gif, and DS (newborn) babyboy.gif.

#35 of 56 Old 07-25-2011, 10:07 AM

HB here too!  #3 for us.  i was planning a hospital birth with my 1-st but at 30weeks chose to take my care to a HB CNM and never looked back.

I'm at a place now where i'm confident enough i'm my body's ability to birth anywhere, be it home, Birth center, or hospital or all alone in the woods! :lol

But our preference is home for countless reasons.    

I'm glad to see so many other HBers here!

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#36 of 56 Old 07-25-2011, 11:18 AM

I forgot to specify HBAC

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#37 of 56 Old 09-24-2011, 02:21 PM

Just wanted to bump this to see how everyone is doing?

NishaG momsling.GIF - Wife to Big K for 20 years - Mama to KJ and KC, and our 1st baby girl, KS, born 1/20/12 familybed1.gif diaper.gif!

#38 of 56 Old 09-24-2011, 04:08 PM

I'm doing really well.  We had an ultrasound about a month ago and all is perfect.  I really like both midwives in the practice we're using which is a huge relief because we just moved and I was worried about connecting with them as much as I did with the ones who helped DD out. 

Healthcare is a human right!
#39 of 56 Old 09-24-2011, 06:34 PM

I was up in the air for a while, not over the thought of having my baby at home, but over the cost (homebirths are pay out of pocket where my insurance covers the whole birth if I go to a hospital) and my fear of being transferred to the hospital nearest my home in the event of an emergency (my local hospital is only a couple miles away, but it has a bad reputation according to some folks). However, I've decided to bite the bullet and pay the price and not let my fear of transfer stop me from doing what I've wanted to do from the start, which is a homebirth. I've decided to think positive and not let fear stop me from doing what I want to do.

wombjuice likes this.

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#40 of 56 Old 09-25-2011, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoonunit View Post

I was up in the air for a while, not over the thought of having my baby at home, but over the cost (homebirths are pay out of pocket where my insurance covers the whole birth if I go to a hospital) and my fear of being transferred to the hospital nearest my home in the event of an emergency (my local hospital is only a couple miles away, but it has a bad reputation according to some folks). However, I've decided to bite the bullet and pay the price and not let my fear of transfer stop me from doing what I've wanted to do from the start, which is a homebirth. I've decided to think positive and not let fear stop me from doing what I want to do.

My insurance will cover nothing towards a homebirth and yet I could have no expenses out-of-pocket to birth at the hospital. It stinks. However, when thinking about it I really decided that a large for-profit corporation such as my insurance company should not be the ones making decisions for me about how and where I have my baby. They are not in it for my best interests. That doesn't make it much easier to find the money in the budget to pay the midwife, but at least I don't feel conflicted about it :)

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#41 of 56 Old 09-25-2011, 08:51 AM

Me, me!  I'm hoping and planning for a second homebirth!  It's absolutely the best place to be! 

#42 of 56 Old 09-25-2011, 09:11 AM

First pregnancy, but I've always wanted to do home births for a large number of reasons, but the main reason is my own comfort.  I paid good money for my bed. I'm going to sleep in it after I give birth :)

#43 of 56 Old 09-25-2011, 02:17 PM

I'm planning a homebirth now. The birth center I wanted isn't in my insurance network, and there is no reason for me to drive the 10 miles to the next nearest birthing center. Plus, my house is only three miles from a hospital that I have used before, so it won't be totally shocking if I have to transfer.

I'm very excited. We are planning on renting a birthing tub and I have found a most excellent doula. !!!!joy.gif

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#44 of 56 Old 09-25-2011, 02:29 PM

I'm hoping for a homebirth for our third (whenever that happens), as it wasn't possible with our first two.  Our first was born in a hospital birthing centre (very nice) and our second was born at a hospital (couldn't get a midwife but again, the hospital was pretty good).  I just really don't like lots of "strangers" in the birthing room.  I think I'd be more relaxed and comfortable at home.  And I just like the idea.  I would suggest, though, that you surround yourself with people who support that idea.  My hubby was REALLY worried about a homebirth (especially when I started talking about a freebirth, because I couldn't get a midwife; he'll agree to it only if we have a midwife) so I felt that his concern and worry would affect me during labour.  I have friends who've had homebirths and had AWESOME experiences, so I talked to them; but I also knew that I shouldn't even mention the idea to other friends, because they'd be very negative.  Do watch The Business of Being Born; it was a really good movie, very inspiring.  Henci Goer's book is also good, and Sheila Kitzinger has some good books, as does Ina May Gaskin.  :)  Good luck!

Bonnie aka The Koala Bear Writer (mom of Sunshine, 3, and Lilibet, 1)
http://thekoalabearwriter.blogspot.com

#45 of 56 Old 09-25-2011, 05:08 PM

Still planning a homebirth. Not sure how fast I'm going to go this time, ds3's labour was only 5 hours, but I bought a fishy pool (sadly didn't have an inflatable bottom) & a drinking water safe hose before they all disappear. We didn't think about it early with ds3 & had a horrible time finding even a pool in the middle of winter. We never did find a hose last time.

I'm gradually picking up supplies so we don't have it all at one time, but the big one was the pool & hose. I still need pads, witch hazel, fish net, something to tie off the cord & maybe some extra towels/sheets. If I'm going to be birthing in the basement in winter (dh is freaked by the idea of putting the pool on the main floor, won't believe me that it's not too heavy), I'm going to need a lot of padding under the pool. Pretty sure I still have some plastic around somewhere for floor/bed.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#46 of 56 Old 09-25-2011, 07:36 PM

Planning a homebirth here too. Haven't started on the midwife's list yet, but should really get on that!! We're borrowing a pool from a friend, so I just need a new liner for it, she has everything else for me. I can't believe how quickly the time is passing, and yet how slowly at the same time!!

Devaskyla, what about a couple of thick yoga mats under the pool? Do you think that would work as padding? Or some of those foamy alphabet puzzle squares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

Still planning a homebirth. Not sure how fast I'm going to go this time, ds3's labour was only 5 hours, but I bought a fishy pool (sadly didn't have an inflatable bottom) & a drinking water safe hose before they all disappear. We didn't think about it early with ds3 & had a horrible time finding even a pool in the middle of winter. We never did find a hose last time.

I'm gradually picking up supplies so we don't have it all at one time, but the big one was the pool & hose. I still need pads, witch hazel, fish net, something to tie off the cord & maybe some extra towels/sheets. If I'm going to be birthing in the basement in winter (dh is freaked by the idea of putting the pool on the main floor, won't believe me that it's not too heavy), I'm going to need a lot of padding under the pool. Pretty sure I still have some plastic around somewhere for floor/bed.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#47 of 56 Old 09-25-2011, 09:38 PM

I don't have either of those, but interesting idea. Would definitely help more than just having some blankets under it. Hmmm...will have to think on a cheap way to get something like that. I was thinking of just getting some cheap blankets from the thrift store.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#48 of 56 Old 09-26-2011, 07:58 AM

You might be able to get some foamy mat type thing of either yoga or puzzle style at the thrift store?

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#49 of 56 Old 09-26-2011, 01:21 PM

I am still planning for a homebirth.  My midwife supplies the tub, and I haven't gotten the go ahead to get supplies just yet.  I have my 2 hour GTT this week, and my BP is staying low.  I've never had GD, but, I do have PCOS, and am older now, so, we will see....

NishaG momsling.GIF - Wife to Big K for 20 years - Mama to KJ and KC, and our 1st baby girl, KS, born 1/20/12 familybed1.gif diaper.gif!

#50 of 56 Old 09-27-2011, 09:12 PM

Third babe, second homebirth. Looking forward to it, although I have some reservations. My dd was breech (unknown) and came like a freight train, I didn't really feel like I was in labor until my water broke at around 8 and she was born at 8:30. So yeah, I've been talking to my midwife about it, and trying to work through my fears of a super fast delivery again. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#51 of 56 Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2anangel View Post

Third babe, second homebirth. Looking forward to it, although I have some reservations. My dd was breech (unknown) and came like a freight train, I didn't really feel like I was in labor until my water broke at around 8 and she was born at 8:30. So yeah, I've been talking to my midwife about it, and trying to work through my fears of a super fast delivery again. 

I had a fast birth last time, too, although not as fast as yours. I woke up with mild abdominal cramps around 6:30 and she was born at 9:17. What's reassuring me about a fast birth is this: If I had another quick birth and tried to make it to the hospital--especially in inclimate January weather--we may not make it in time. I'd rather be home with an experienced professional than have a surprise unassisted delivery on a snowy roadside. If the midwife can't make it to me, I'd still rather go unassisted at home than on the road. I don't know if weather or distance apply to your situation (we have a 45 minute drive to a decent hospital), but maybe that mindset would help.

My biggest worry, personally, is not the birth but the home. We are rather messy and cluttered, and I would be embarrassed for a midwife to come in its current state. Of course we are working to improve the situation, but I'm not sure how much we can do in 3 months with 3 kids under 6 undoing our progress at every step. I was becoming comfortable with the midwife I planned to use until she left her practice, and now we have to start all over again. And of course interviewing midwives takes time we don't have. crap.gif

Me crochetsmilie.gif ife to DH geek.gif; Mommy to DS (5) biggrinbounce.gif , DS (4) jog.gif, and DD (2) diaper.gif, and DS (newborn) babyboy.gif.

#52 of 56 Old 09-29-2011, 09:09 AM

First time poster to this DDC! so hi ya. I'm expecting our third and _planning_ a homebirth this time. Did not plan one last time but my LO came so quickly she was born at home just after the paramedics came and so i still had to go to the hospital....Just figure this time i will stay home!  My only concern is that i had to have an ECV with both of my prior LO's so i'm seeing a chiropractor and using lots of positive thought with the hopes this one will cooperate!

#53 of 56 Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 PM

We're expecting our 4th. It will be our second homebirth. After 2 hospital, pitocin/epidural births, homebirth is an amazing change.

#54 of 56 Old 09-29-2011, 01:45 PM

Lurking here. innocent.gif

I never considered a home birth, but the midwives at the birthing house have recommended it for me due to a precipitous birth with our first (he was born in just over 2 hours from first contraction). We barely made it to the hospital in time. They said this labor could be even faster. bigeyes.gif And this time it will be the dead of winter, not late spring.

If we do choose a home birth, they would send the on-call midwife and all "equipment" to us. Not sure if it's worth renting the birthing pool from them since I didn't make it into the pool last time.

The birthing house is only 15 minutes away, so that's how long we or the midwife would have to come. That is assuming no traffic and no heavy snow (though they are legendary here for clearing the roads at the first sign of a snowflake, even at night).

Mama to our little boy (3) babyf.gif , the amazing super squirmer, almost born in the taxi...

and our new baby girl stork-girl.gif, caught by her daddy in our bathtub!

#55 of 56 Old 09-29-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet.Bee View Post

Lurking here. innocent.gif

I never considered a home birth, but the midwives at the birthing house have recommended it for me due to a precipitous birth with our first (he was born in just over 2 hours from first contraction). We barely made it to the hospital in time. They said this labor could be even faster. bigeyes.gif And this time it will be the dead of winter, not late spring.

If we do choose a home birth, they would send the on-call midwife and all "equipment" to us. Not sure if it's worth renting the birthing pool from them since I didn't make it into the pool last time.

The birthing house is only 15 minutes away, so that's how long we or the midwife would have to come. That is assuming no traffic and no heavy snow (though they are legendary here for clearing the roads at the first sign of a snowflake, even at night).

I really hope my birth center gives me this option!  It'd be nice to know that we wouldn't have to call 911 and get taken in an ambulance to the hospital, should we end up going to fast to get to the birth center!

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#56 of 56 Old 10-08-2011, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommy2anangel View Post

My first was an unplanned homebirth. While it wasn't fast like yours was, I still think I can help a bit.

I'd say prepare yourself for the possibility of an unassisted birth. Obviously it's best if your midwife can make it in time, but just prepare for what you (and your partner) would do if the baby came without the midwife there. My labor was very long, but we didn't know she was coming until she flipped around (she was posterior) and just suddenly "fell into place" and I had the urge to push with her about an inch from crowning. We were lucky enough that our Bradley Method teacher had an unplanned homebirth herself, so my husband called her and she told him what to do. In the majority if situations you'll be fine until your midwife get there. The paramedics arrived just a few minutes after my daughter was born. We basically just sat and waited while we stared at my daughter in awe. It's not the ideal situation, but it's doable.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page