Home Birth Mamas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 07-17-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was just curious who else is planning on a home birth. 

With DD (28 months) we were planning on a hospital birth (without pain medication) with a midwife, but ended up having a very odd labor that never gave us indication it was time to go in (though of course we see it now in hindsight). So 33.5 hours in I ended up having her in our bathroom with my husband as the only birth attendant. Though I'd really like to not have a posterior baby this time (actually the reason for the labor being so screwy), everything about that birth is exactly what I want this time around, so we're having a home birth with a midwife. Anyone else?

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#2 of 56 Old 07-17-2011, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are! I had a "home birth in a wealthy person's guest room" last time (Ok, it was at a midwife run birth center because we were living in an apartment at the time and I didn't want nosy neighbors), and I look forward to a HB this time!

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 56 Old 07-17-2011, 11:00 AM

We are too! My partner and I have always felt very strongly that homebirth is the way to go (runs in our families I guess). I think I've finally found our midwife so I'm excited to make it all official. We are living in a small apartment, and I wonder how it will feel with the MW and her two assistants there for the birth (crowded!), but I just know it will all work out as it should...

Mama to DD born 1/28/12, and baby #2 on the way in January '14!

#4 of 56 Old 07-17-2011, 11:06 AM

Me, me!!  And I am hugely excited!!  DH was hesitant but supportive of the idea, although he claimed he didn't want to be present for the birth because he would faint, but now that we've found the perfect midwife and pregnancy talk has become part of his daily life, he's not only agreed to be in the room, but he's excited about cutting the cord!  :) 

Anyhow, I feel that a normal pregnancy is not a medical matter, and so should not be done in a hospital.  What better way to help a newborn orient himself in the world than to stay put in the same room where he was born, with only one set of smells and sounds to familiarize himself with?  And what better way to help a momma feel comfortable than to be in the environment she is familiar with, and to let her mind, body, and baby set the pace of delivery?

Wife to a Mad Scientist and SAHM to my giant toddler boy, born 1/20/12  
#5 of 56 Old 07-17-2011, 12:07 PM

I am too!  My first was born in a terrific free standing birth center.  I would have this one there, but we're moving to a new city and the CNM I found who I really clicked with only does home births.  I'm really looking forward to not having to be in a car during labor. 

Healthcare is a human right!
#6 of 56 Old 07-17-2011, 07:00 PM

We are planning our third home birth and we are also very excited. We will be moving into our 'forever house' Sept 1 and it has a fireplace, I'm visualizing our birth happening in that room. joy.gif
#7 of 56 Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgrrrl View Post

We are planning our third home birth and we are also very excited. We will be moving into our 'forever house' Sept 1 and it has a fireplace, I'm visualizing our birth happening in that room. joy.gif

Oh, that sounds sooooooo nice and relaxing!

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#8 of 56 Old 07-17-2011, 09:44 PM

Planning my 3rd UC. I love having my babies at home!

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#9 of 56 Old 07-18-2011, 07:13 AM

We will also be giving birth to our little one at home. love.gif

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#10 of 56 Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 AM

I'm in the HB club too & I'm really excited about it.

#11 of 56 Old 07-18-2011, 02:34 PM

Us too! We tried to have our first at home and had to transfer to the hospital (overall a very good experience). We had our second at home which was AMAZING. I LOVED being at home and snuggling in bed with our sweet baby boy afterwards. I just had my first appointment with the homebirth midwives this morning and it was sooo great to see them again! 

Sandra + Jeremy keepin' it real with Adelaide (2005) and Watson (2008)
#12 of 56 Old 07-18-2011, 05:55 PM

We are planning it. My last was born at home, my first was a hospital birth. Looking forward to it. 

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#13 of 56 Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Yep!! Planning a home waterbirth with a midwife. I had my 2nd at home and then my 3rd was planned to be at home, but we ended up in the hospital with her. Hoping for another peaceful homebirth this time around :)

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#14 of 56 Old 07-18-2011, 08:52 PM

Yay! Lotsa home birth mommies here! I'm in too.  I knew a hospital was not for me, as most pregnancies are not a raging medical emergency like mainstream medicine would have us believe.  Since learning I'm pregnant, I've felt a pretty deep intuition that I and my body are going to know what to do when the time comes (with pregnancy, labor and when the LO arrives).  I battle with myself though. I feel like I'm supposed to feel panicked, unsure and incompetent about the whole process and I really don't.  Am I being too "hands-off", isn't there a book I should be reading or something?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#15 of 56 Old 07-18-2011, 09:03 PM

There's LOTS of books you could be reading. lol What kind of topics are you interested in, maybe I can give you some title suggestions?

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#16 of 56 Old 07-18-2011, 09:17 PM

Yep,  me too!  Had a homebirth last time and just couldn't imagine it any other way. It was wonderful.  And this time, I have started care with my ins covered hospital (will switch to a homebirth MW shortly) and it has only solidified my feelings even more. I just cannot imagine birthing in a hospital!  Even the prenatal appts are a bogus waste of my time compared to the care I will get with a HB MW.  Had a prenatal appt today with the hospital CNM and she spent all of 15min with me, was distracted the whole time, and will surely never remember my name. Ugh. I can't believe that is the standard of care for most women.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#17 of 56 Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 PM

Me, too!  I am planning a homebirth with a midwife.  We are very excited.  My two DSs were natural births in hospitals.

NishaG momsling.GIF - Wife to Big K for 20 years - Mama to KJ and KC, and our 1st baby girl, KS, born 1/20/12 familybed1.gif diaper.gif!

#18 of 56 Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 PM

I am just starting to look into a home birth or at least at a birthing center. First, I am not sure I can afford it since my insurance won't cover it at all, or any prenatal care through an outside midwife. Second, I need to gain some confidence that I can do this naturally, with no pain relief and keep my anxiety in check. This is my first baby and I am the only parent, although I have a close friend who will be with me during the pregnancy and for the birth. Did those of you who have done home birth ever struggle with the decision and your confidence? Thanks!

Penny

#19 of 56 Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 AM

This is my fourth pregnancy, but first home birth.  I've had three inductions (all of which were very successful, with no other interventions or issues), but I hate being bugged by nurses in the middle of the night, expected to write down every time I nurse or change a diaper, and forget about trying to co-sleep in a hospital bed.  Plus DH would have to be entertaining kids in a tiny hospital room, when it's a lot easier to send them to the playroom or put them down for a nap or grab them a snack from the kitchen or whatever.

I'm excited and afraid all at the same time.  I've never NOT had an epidural (and with the last one, we hooked up my epidural before the pit drip started, so I didn't feel a thing), so I'm very concerned about having issues with the pain, but also hoping that because this is my fourth, maybe it'll be on the "easy" side of things.  (HA!  Wishful thinking...)

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#20 of 56 Old 07-19-2011, 08:25 AM

Penny--have you watched The Business of Being Born?  I'd say that's a good place to start. I think I always felt confident that homebirth was the right choice for me. . .however, having fears and doubts are totally normal!!!! Hey, you'd have them about a hospital birth too, they'd just have a different focus that's all. I definitely worried that I wouldn't be able to cope without pain meds (but I never even asked or wanted them while in labor) or that I'd have to tranfer (obviously could happen, but I trusted my MW to know when and if and not worry about it myself).

You have to do what makes *you* feel the most comfortable, but my 2cents would be that a homebirth is even more important as a single parent! The support you get will be awesome and so much more encompassing than from a hospital.  Yes, at a hospital you get those 2 days where the nurses are right there and they will take the baby or change a diaper or help with BFing (although at many hospitals there BFing help is not very helpful!). . .but to me that is not a good trade off. . .in a homebirth you should get: much more personal attention and time at every appt (prenatal-post partum), you get one person that really gets to know you and will actually be with you for your entire birth (at a hospital even if you have a certain Ob they could be on vacation or there shift could end and they'd go home and leave you with a stranger), and you will have more support after the fact too. Most HB MWs make 2-4 visits to your home after the baby is born to help with BFing answer questions and check on you and the baby.  I think this is way more important than those two days in the hospital, personally. Of course you should definitely have other help lined up--people to bring you food, to check on you, to answer midnight questions about BFing or colic or whatever.

Certainly, doing things for your anxiety will be key for you for any type of birth you choose. I'd look into Hypnobirth and read a lot of empowering stories (like those by Ina May). Another good movie is "Orgasmic Birth", lots of beautiful natural births that should make you feel very confident about your bodies natural ability to do this!  

Okay, phew. . .I can go on. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about homebirth or anything I touched on here! :)  Good luck in your decisions!  I can honestly say I don't believe you will regret a homebirth.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#21 of 56 Old 07-19-2011, 08:47 AM

We're planning a homebirth, and this is my first. I'm very excited about it, but I'm nervous about the possibility of having to be transferred to a hospital if something bad happens. The closest hospital is one that I've had bad experiences with, so I'm nervous about being sent to that particular place in case of an emergency. However, I'm just hoping that everything goes smoothly and I don't have to worry about that!

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#22 of 56 Old 07-19-2011, 01:14 PM

HBAC mama here and SO EXCITED!  joy.gif

Anna (29) & DH (30) partners.gif 6.2006 :: love.gif 2.2008 :: babygirl.gif 1.2012    I'm a proud hbac.gif mama!

#23 of 56 Old 07-19-2011, 07:42 PM

Yay for home births! I'm a first time mama and planning a home birth... so far the MWs are on board too :)

I live in a somewhat isolated area so one of my big worries is January + snow + road closures... there is a hospital I can get to with 4x4 in bad weather in good time, but more worried that the midwives won't make it! They are about 30 minutes away through a mountain pass which can get a bit nasty in poor weather. Don't really want to end up in the hospital unnecessarily - the OB is nice but a bit 'gregarious' shall we say... I really want the calmness of my midwives no matter where the baby is born.

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#24 of 56 Old 07-19-2011, 10:03 PM

We will be having our second homebirth with this one.  Our 2nd dds birth was absolutely awesome, I couldn't imagine going back to hospital birth after that!

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#25 of 56 Old 07-19-2011, 11:37 PM

cedarwoman If I were you I would prepare for a "just in case" UC. You're unlikely to need to have to deal with it, but I don't think you'd ever regret preparing for it.  You can check out the UC forum, get ahold of a midwifery book called Heart & Hands (I've heard version 4 actually has UC info, but I have version 3) and get a booklet called Emergency Childbirth. You can find it in .pdf form in a few places, but this is the link I have http://www.rixafreeze.com/pdf/gregorywhite.pdf

I actually think every woman should be prepared in case the baby come before the midwife or before you can get to a hospital. My friend just had an unplanned UC before her midwife got there because her labour was only an hour & she didn't really think it was labour pretty much until the baby was crowning ( it was her 3rd, btw)

#26 of 56 Old 07-20-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

cedarwoman If I were you I would prepare for a "just in case" UC. You're unlikely to need to have to deal with it, but I don't think you'd ever regret preparing for it.  You can check out the UC forum, get ahold of a midwifery book called Heart & Hands (I've heard version 4 actually has UC info, but I have version 3) and get a booklet called Emergency Childbirth. You can find it in .pdf form in a few places, but this is the link I have http://www.rixafreeze.com/pdf/gregorywhite.pdf

I actually think every woman should be prepared in case the baby come before the midwife or before you can get to a hospital. My friend just had an unplanned UC before her midwife got there because her labour was only an hour & she didn't really think it was labour pretty much until the baby was crowning ( it was her 3rd, btw)

This is exactly why I'm watching this thread.  Secretly, I wouldn't mind a UC.  My first labor was like your friend's, plus with it being January in Colorado...there's a very good possibility that we might get snowed in.  We are definitely preparing for a "just in case".

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#27 of 56 Old 07-20-2011, 02:38 PM

put me on the homebirth list, though we will be moving (again) at 37 weeks to a place enar our  mw's in order to do it.

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#28 of 56 Old 07-20-2011, 03:12 PM

It is great to hear everyone's home birth plans!

Kismet, thanks for all the info! I have seen the Business of Being Born, great movie. I have a consultation at a local midwifery center that does both home births and birth center births next week. I am also very fortunate the my current (HMO) CNM is very supportive of out of hospital births and willing coordinate with an outside MW (if I go that route). What is very sad is that this may come down to a financial decision for me. Since my HMO won't cover out of system services I might not be able to afford a home birth attended by a midwife. It is just crazy since hospital births are so expensive!

How many of you have or are planning to rent tubs for home births? Is anyone planning a waterbirth at home?

#29 of 56 Old 07-20-2011, 04:16 PM

I've already bought a fishy pool. Not sure if I'll end up using it or not, though. With ds3, we were in an apartment & had unlimited hot water, but we're renting a house with a smallish hot water heater now. If I have a really short labour again, there might not be time to fill it & have another water birth.

#30 of 56 Old 07-20-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkminnow View Post

I am just starting to look into a home birth or at least at a birthing center. First, I am not sure I can afford it since my insurance won't cover it at all, or any prenatal care through an outside midwife. Second, I need to gain some confidence that I can do this naturally, with no pain relief and keep my anxiety in check. This is my first baby and I am the only parent, although I have a close friend who will be with me during the pregnancy and for the birth. Did those of you who have done home birth ever struggle with the decision and your confidence? Thanks!

Penny

I totally did! Remember, most NAmerican women are fighting generations of medical thinking. I think it is totally normal to waverin confidence from time to time...we have been taught birth is scary, look at that piece of garbage show on TLC, A Baby Story. fear kongering much?

Three things that helped me be strong and prepared:

Ina Mae's guide to childbirth
Birthing From Withn

Watching The Business of Being Born

I also recommend Ina Mae's new book, Birth Matters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page