Cloth diapering mamas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 07-19-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Totsy has x-small fuzzi bunz in gender neutral colors for $8.95/each right now.  You have to register for the site and the sale is limited.  

Healthcare is a human right!
#2 of 67 Old 07-19-2011, 03:26 PM

I'm a first timer. Cloth diapering mamas, what do you recommend and why?

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#3 of 67 Old 07-19-2011, 03:51 PM

There is an awesome cloth diapering board on MDC.  I will be a first-time cloth diapering mom and got lots of useful information there.  Good luck! 

Anna (29) & DH (30) partners.gif 6.2006 :: love.gif 2.2008 :: babygirl.gif 1.2012    I'm a proud hbac.gif mama!

#4 of 67 Old 07-19-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writinglove View Post

I'm a first timer. Cloth diapering mamas, what do you recommend and why?

Depends what you like and why you like it.  Basically, there are a zillion options and you don't have to marry yourself to anything!

I'd suggest getting a few things in a couple of different systems and seeing what works for you and your babe.  Plus, different body types work best with different systems.

For the daughter we did fitteds and cheap covers.  I *hated* them. with. a. passion.  They never fit her right, she had yeast issues for months, I couldn't get a good cleaning routine going, etc.  For the son we use prefolds and proraps.  SO simple and SO cheap.  Occasionally I'll use fitteds (kushies) with fleece (there is an *awesome* woman that makes them on DS) or wool, but I love me some prefolds.  Prefolds are easy to use, easy to find, *easy* to get used, easy to clean, easy/quick to dry, etc.  There are multiple ways to use them and they're so cheap.  Your kid pukes all over the sofa - grab a prefold!  A friend spills milk all over the kitchen - prefold!  Need another cleaning rag - prefold!

Now, if you're looking for cute and fluffy these are NOT your system.  Proraps are called "workhorses" for a reason.  They hold all the necessary items in, but nobody ever squeals at how that CD butt looks!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#5 of 67 Old 07-19-2011, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

We used Kissaluv 0s for DD and loved them.  I was going to buy them again, but saw the FB sale.  We liked FB a lot as well.  I'm a big fan of prefolds for home as well.  I'm kind of an eclectic CD mama and use different kinds.  We do mostly prefolds at home with one size pockets for out and about and at night.  Covers totally depend on your baby's body type.  Skinny babies absolutely need double gussets.  There are like a million ways to cloth diaper.  I highly recommend calling the folks at a diaper store (Jillians Drawers is absolutely wonderful) and telling them about your budget and your needs and they'll help you figure out what will work best. 

It really has a ton to do with preferences.  Some people want all natural materials.  Others are fine with synthetic and want convenience.  Some people are grossed out by removing dirty inserts.  It just depends. . . 

Two things I highly recommend are a diaper sprayer and a diaper pail with a tight fitting lid (we use a trash container from Target) with at least two washable liners.  These things make life so much easier!

#6 of 67 Old 07-19-2011, 08:42 PM

We used kissaluv size 0 also, they lasted us about 3 -4 weeks then we used Fuzzibunz (small was too big at first, but then they only fit until about 6 weeks for us, so I'm not sure how long XS would fit). We moved up to Fuzzibunz Mediums at 6 weeks and then used them until we needed Large. I have a friend whose son never needed the Large FB because the Med fit him until he potty trained. OTOH, my DS was teeny tiny at first (7 lb 10 oz) and then grew super fast, so your experience might be significantly different. I think the covers we used were imse vimse and we had a couple of wool pull up covers later on for night time.

So I'd say if you want to buy S or XS of  any diaper, don't buy a lot of them! If I didn't already have the kissaluv 0s from last time, I might just use prefolds with a cover until he fit the mediums. I had thought they would fit a lot longer! I found the pocket dipes (FB) very convenient, though. There are lots of websites that have info about different cloth dipes, and some stores offer a sample package that you might be able to look at and return as long as you don't use them.

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#7 of 67 Old 07-20-2011, 06:48 AM

So far I have:

3 dozen used newborn orange-edged prefolds (Green Mountain Diapers.com)

6 mostly used wool pull-on covers (from Wild Child Woolies, Sustainable Babyish (old style) and Luxe Baby)

2 used Bummis Super Whisper wraps size newborn

3 used XS Thirsties wraps

2 new XS/newborn Motherease Sandys fitteds for nighttime

2 big diaper bags that hang on a doorknob to put the soiled diapers in

1 Motherease Bamboo one-size to try out

Still need: 

4 more XS bamboo Sandys for nighttime

size small Kissaluvs wool cover for nighttime

a few snappis

cloth wipes--I'll probably make these

wipes warmer

some stay dry liners---probably from Motherease

Depending on how I like this set-up for the first two months, I'll either stay with prefolds and a few fitteds or I'll go with all fitteds or all prefolds. I really want to use wool this time so as the weather warms up, I'll get wool shorties. I really like the bamboo Sandys I got from Motherease. I'm hoping they work out so if I decide to go with all fitteds, I'll just stock up on a stash of them! They're so buttery soft! 

Last time (with 2 DDs in cloth at the same time), I did all Fuzzibunz but I'm changing it up this time. I do not like the microfiber material---it held onto urine and poop odors. You can get Fuzzibunz with inserts made of natural materials now but I just decided to go for some fitteds and prefolds this time. Sometimes the fleece would make my babies sweat! We did only use size XS, S and M all the way through potty training. Mediums last forever! 

For a cloth newbie, you can't go wrong with some prefolds and Thirsties covers and a couple of snappis. For nighttime, I'd get a thick fitted from Motherease with a stay-dry liner and either a Kissaluvs wool cover or a Motherease Airflow cover....both are nearly 100% leakproof. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#8 of 67 Old 07-20-2011, 08:29 AM

Another thought for you first-timers...

If you're planning on starting out from birth do NOT buy a ton of premie or newborn size.  Get a few - maybe borrow or buy used - but there's a good chance you won't need them and you can *always* get more.  For example, I knew that my first born was 8/2 and I was able to weigh what to buy...my second was 8/12 and he was able to slide into smalls without an issue.  The main issue with small covers is that they don't have an umbilical cord cut-out so you have to make do.

I seriously can't speak enough about getting them off FSOT.  Even well loved dipes generally have a lot of life left in them!

Angela
#9 of 67 Old 07-20-2011, 10:08 AM

Wow! Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your experience and suggestions. 

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#10 of 67 Old 07-20-2011, 01:14 PM

AHH, yes, the covers we used were Bummis Super Whisper wraps, not imse vimse (that was the pullups later on for potty training). I also agree with others above that the cloth diaper pail liners (along with a cheap garbage pail with a lid) are great, you can just throw them in the wash with the diapers.

Kindermama, I hear you on the FB microfiber, we had some trouble with the smell too, especially with the diapers we used for a long time. "Stripping" them by running them through the wash several times in a row seemed to help a bit, but I've heard that it's better to use a top loading washing machine for that instead of our front loader. I'm considering taking the medium and large diapers and replacing the inner liner with a more natural fiber, especially since they go used so much they're not so soft any more. I tried the hemp inserts, but we didn't like them as much, they seemed wetter.

We got tons of baby washcloths as gifts, so we used them as wipes, plus I got some flannel that I cut into pieces too.

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#11 of 67 Old 07-20-2011, 02:36 PM

I really liked Little Beetle little to big (aka one size) wool (aka very breathable) snap covers. They are pricey (30ish $) but last the whole time diapering. we used these with prefolds with dd1, now I want flats, i was intimidated by the folding last time but now i think they offer the most felxibility and are cheap to boot.

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#12 of 67 Old 07-21-2011, 09:30 AM

I started cd'ing my first child at 8 months, and only used Fuzzi Bunz (pockets) because that's what the friend who introduced me to cds used.

With #2, I used fitteds and covers for the newborn period, and hated them.

I tried to stick it out with #3, but hated the fitteds again and bought size small pockets (Knickernappies Disposanots and FBs, and a few bumGenius one size.)  I sold off all of my fitteds.

I've still got a few covers, so I've sewn up a couple of bamboo prefolds, and will give those a shot with the pockets.  We're also planning to get a stash of bg one size with snaps (I hate hate hate their Aplix - it doesn't hold up at all.)  I am definitely a pocket kind of girl.  I use bamboo inserts (microfiber is pretty much worthless once you've tried bamboo) and I will also never use disposable wipes again.  1 cloth wipe can clean up a mess that can take 3-4 disposable wipes.

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#13 of 67 Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 AM

i love fitteds and prefolds under wool.  my babes reacted to the PUL, and we try to stick with natural materials.

we also use cloth wipes that my MIL made.  they're really easy to use (only wet what you need), and you can throw them in the wash with the dipes.

because i did cloth wipes, and i hated having to leave the bedroom to go wet wipes for the overnight changes, i got a pump pot like this to keep at my diaper table in the bedroom.  i would fill it with warm water in the evening, and it kept the water perfectly warm all night (and far into the next day), making it super easy for me to get the wipes perfectly warm for comfortable diaper changes... all without having to leave our bed.  hey, when you have a newborn, little things like that can make a huge difference.  :)

writinglove likes this.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#14 of 67 Old 07-21-2011, 10:35 AM

I just use a peri bottle with room temp water kept full at the changing table. Neither kid ever balked when the water was cold. Best of all the peri bottle was free...thanks to my insurance company!

Angela
#15 of 67 Old 07-21-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulawoman View Post

I really liked Little Beetle little to big (aka one size) wool (aka very breathable) snap covers. They are pricey (30ish $) but last the whole time diapering. 

Good to know! I was wondering what people thought of that wool wrap! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#16 of 67 Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 PM

Forum crashing - hi mamas!

writinglove:

One thing to keep in mind - this is a no brainer, but as I had baby brain (and still do 8 months on...sigh...) take note:  if you are comparing the cost of a size diapering system versus an all in one system (AIO), and you're thinking, "hey, the price of this AIO is soooo expensive, I'm going with the kissas size 0...," remember that you have to keep on buying more diapers as the baby grows.  So you'll end up buying kissas size 0, then their mediums, then their larges ect.  Yes, total no-brainer, but keep it in mind.

For the savvy mums who buy slightly used, and use pass-me-downs, using a non-AIO system is probably cheaper, though.  And re: the AIOs, sometimes the fit is less then optimal - many last from newborn to 35ish lbs so they are going to be a different fit than diapers made for babies in specific weight ranges.  (With that said I use bumGenius 4.0s and I think they're great.  I also used kissa fitteds when DS was a newborn, and thought those were great as well.)

Baby shops have diaper trials...for a nominal fee (like $10) you can try a variety and see what works best for you.

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#17 of 67 Old 07-21-2011, 09:26 PM

I'm going to try the newborn cloth diaper rental at http://itsybitsybums.blogspot.com/2010/04/newborn-diaper-rental.html .

Then, I will get a variation of BumGenuis, Flipz, SBish, Wee Huggers, Prefolds, Bright Star Baby (WAHM), etc. I may also do a trial package, to see what I like.

NishaG momsling.GIF - Wife to Big K for 20 years - Mama to KJ and KC, and our 1st baby girl, KS, born 1/20/12 familybed1.gif diaper.gif!

#18 of 67 Old 07-21-2011, 10:09 PM

I started out using Fuzzibunz when dd1 was 4 months old per the recommendation of a friend.  I liked them for awhile, but after some time I became not to fond of the fleece.  It was wonderful at first so soft and so simple, but doesn't really stay that way.  The detergent build up, piling and stink problems really start to get to you after a couple years.  When I thought about it I didn't really know what was in the fleece that was up against my babies bottom.  It's not a natural fiber and it may very well be bleached or have undergone lots of chemical processing.  With prefolds (or fitteds) I KNOW what is on my babies skin, wonderful unbleached cotton.  I need new prefolds and I am super excited about greenmountaindiapers.com (my favorite online diaper store) now carries organic prefolds for just about $5 more a dozen.  Does this excite anyone else as much as me? lol.gif  I also found the new WeeHuggers laundry bag very excited as well, but that's beside the point.

Anyone looking into starting cloth should really get a variety of things a try, per your own personal taste.  Someone who wants easy, not to complicated might was to get a dozen pockets, a few covers, a dozen fitteds and maybe a half or a full dozen prefolds with a snappi for closure.  Where as someone whos priority is all natural everything no matter what will probably want 1 dozen organic cotton prefolds, 1 dozen all natural fitteds, maybe a few naturl fiber AIO's and a variety of wool covers.  (Oh and if there are any first time moms on her here's a good reference page to help you figure out what the hell we are all talking about)

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#19 of 67 Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 AM

For all you Pros...  Would you recommend starting out in disposables for the newborn or jumping right into cloth?

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#20 of 67 Old 07-22-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchobhar View Post

For all you Pros...  Would you recommend starting out in disposables for the newborn or jumping right into cloth?

I had registered for cloth diapers and was getting bent out of shape when I started receiving so many disposables.  But I was glad to have them that first week (the first 5 days, actually).  We were super exhausted and unable to keep up with any housekeeping never mind 12 wet, often poopy diapers per day.  Now the laundry is NO BIG DEAL.  But that first week was glorious and happy and tiresome.  I gave myself kudos when I brushed my teeth.  shine.gif

But if you have anyone willing to do your laundry or you really don't want to use disposables, there's no real reason why you can't.  Just commit yourself (more frankly, your mate) to that one duty and it'll get done.  It's not like you won't ever use the cloth - you've already made the investment!  :)

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#21 of 67 Old 07-22-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teraze View Post

But if you have anyone willing to do your laundry

HA!  Hahahahahaaha!  I sooooo wish!  But thank you!  Those first few days are what I was wondering about the most, especially with meconium.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#22 of 67 Old 07-22-2011, 10:29 AM

It is nice to have 1 package of disposables for those first meconium poops.  It's definitely not necessary, but it can be nice.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#23 of 67 Old 07-22-2011, 11:04 AM

:)  We didn't have any volunteers...

Quote:

HA!  Hahahahahaaha!  I sooooo wish!  But thank you!  Those first few days are what I was wondering about the most, especially with meconium.

#24 of 67 Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

DD was cloth diapered from day 1 and staining was never a problem.  DH did the laundry and the diapers washed up like any other time.

#25 of 67 Old 07-22-2011, 02:40 PM

We also used disposables that first week or two. Plus we use them at night as I do NOT have any interest in changing diapers when I'm tired and groggy. Just remember that cloth isn't all or nothing smile.gif

Angela
#26 of 67 Old 07-23-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoreMom View Post

because i did cloth wipes, and i hated having to leave the bedroom to go wet wipes for the overnight changes, i got a pump pot like this to keep at my diaper table in the bedroom.  i would fill it with warm water in the evening, and it kept the water perfectly warm all night (and far into the next day), making it super easy for me to get the wipes perfectly warm for comfortable diaper changes... all without having to leave our bed.  hey, when you have a newborn, little things like that can make a huge difference.  :)

Just wanted to second this!  I picked up a pump pot at a thrift store for $1 and it was one of the best dollars I've ever spent!  :)  There's just no need to mix up weird wipe solutions - warm water does the trick just fine, and the pump pot means all it takes is one squirt and it's ready to go.  I would bring it to the shower with me and just fill it up with hot water before I got out (I have one of those houses where every time I turn on a faucet, I fill up a 5-gallon bucket of freezing cold water before anything hot thinks of coming out) and it would be perfect for the whole day.

Wish someone had told me about that trick two babies ago!  :)

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#27 of 67 Old 07-23-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:

I dunno that I'm a "pro"...  But we started off taking our cloth to the hospital, and we didn't use a single disposable until about 5 or 6 months in.  Then DS became a SUPER night soaker, and while we eventually found a cloth solution that worked, it was so bulky he didn't fit into his jammies.  We still have to use a Pampers overnight dipe + a gDiapers insert to get through the night without leaks.  Man, that boy can pee!

We have had the best luck with Thirsties.  We started out with XS covers and prefolds, then went through mediums and smalls.  At about 9 months, DS became incredibly squirmy during diaper changes, so we switched to Thirsties Duo diapers (pockets) in size 2.  At almost 2 years, he's still wearing them.  They're a little stinkier than the prefolds, but you can only smell them after he's peed.  

Just a few random thoughts: Regular cotton is less funky than microfiber.  Hemp takes forever to dry.  Velcro/aplix closures are much easier to remove than snaps - and this includes easier for your toddler.  Be careful which detergents you use; some cause the fabric to repel water.  Always buy ahead, because it seems like your baby will grow out of a size overnight (and you can tell when they're too small because they leak.  They might look okay, but that was always how I knew it was time to size up).

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#28 of 67 Old 07-24-2011, 06:13 PM

Another random thought- if your DH ever changes a wool cover check the laundry before you wash Sheepish.gif  At least I now have an extra small wool cover for the new squish.. hehe!

teraze likes this.

aj- married to JA and mami to Bug (11/09) and Critter (1/12)!

#29 of 67 Old 07-25-2011, 07:32 AM

We are planning to cloth diaper from birth. We need to get a stash of prefolds in a few sizes, and we are going to use primarily wool covers. I love the Nikky felted wool wrap covers, but they are SO expensive. I found a NB one at a baby consignment store in great condition, but I am gearing up to sew and knit a few soakers. For some reason I have my doubts that wool will really do the job, but I've read such great reviews. Anyone have experience with wool?

Mama to DD born 1/28/12, and baby #2 on the way in January '14!

#30 of 67 Old 07-25-2011, 07:43 AM

my MIL is an avid knitter, and she really loves to knit soakers.  i know there's a lot of knitting mamas here on this board and on mdc as a whole, and i'm sure you could scrounge up some great soaker patterns (or on ravelry?).  soakers (and longies, etc) work really, really well for us, and though wool can be a bit of a pain to care for, it's breathable, warm in the winter, and cool in the summer.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page