I NEED HELP!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

im just about 13 weeks and i had a cvs test and found out im having a boy :) His name is going to be Brody Michael... long story short i guess is that Brody's dads name is Phil we dated for like a week had sex and then he broke up with me whatever....about 4 weeks later i found out i was pregnant. he insisted i have an abortion...obviously i didnt and that mad him mad... when istarted telling him he didnt have to be around but he was going to pay for child support he started with the... no hes my son im gonna take care of him blah blah blah...i wanna meet with a court mediator to get everything in writing so he cant do anything stupid...the problem is that hes moving to florida in the next 2 months or so...and im staying in ny until after Brody's older...he probably wont be able to be here for the birth so he wont be on his birth certificate... my question is can a birth certificate be changed and can we go to the mediator even if hes not on the birth certificate....can anyone help me!!

Ashley- Brody's Mama

#2 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 11:07 AM

13 weeks is awfully soon to determine sex.  Just sayin'.  Can't really decipher your paragraph enough to help your situation, sorry.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#3 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

if you read it, it said i had a cvs done to check for genetic abnrmalities... they can determine sex with that test same as an amnio... thats how i know... thanks

#4 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 11:16 AM

Sorry, I was overwhelmed by the ellipses and lack of other punctuation.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#5 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 01:31 PM

babybrody, I don't have any advice or suggestions for you other than good luck. I imagine there are free legal services centers in NY that can advise you on this situation. Or maybe the local library can point you in the right direction. Take good care.

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#6 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 02:18 PM

I agree with writing love - check out legal aid and see what your options are now.

Best of Luck! 

#7 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 05:39 PM

Yes, the birth certificate can be changed if you prove paternity. I don't know how you'd do that once he moves though. I would contact your local courts system and get a hold of the child support office. They may be able to answer your questions. Another option would be a Pregnancy Help Center. I bet they can point you in the right direction! Best wishes and congratulations!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#8 of 10 Old 07-23-2011, 06:49 AM

I don't know if NY has some kind of weird law, but the father does NOT have to be there for his name to be put on the birth certificate.  It's just a form to fill out; the father doesn't have to sign anything.  Plenty of military wives give birth while their husbands are deployed and their kids have their father's name on the birth certificate.

As to support/visitation, you'd need to talk to an attorney.  I don't think that you can technically do any of that before the child is born (but I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know for sure.)  I'd imagine you could come up with some kind of agreement of some sort, but since you're not married, court doesn't need to get involved unless someone isn't holding up their end of the agreement.  He is obligated as the father to provide support for his child, so I'd contact an attorney to find out what the child support guidelines are in your state before entering into any legal agreements.  If the child is born/lives in the state of NY, all court proceedings would have to happen there, whether the father lives in FL or not. 

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#9 of 10 Old 07-23-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirdlady View Post

I don't know if NY has some kind of weird law, but the father does NOT have to be there for his name to be put on the birth certificate.  It's just a form to fill out; the father doesn't have to sign anything.  Plenty of military wives give birth while their husbands are deployed and their kids have their father's name on the birth certificate.

This actually depends... if you are married then its easy to put them on the birth certificate. If you are not married then they have to sign a paternity acknowledgment and it has to be notarized and such. Then it has to be filed. Then the father can be added to the birth certificate.

Child support and custody issues can not be settled before the child is born and paternity is established. You can go through the NY state child support office and they can help set up paternity and child support. A lawyer will have to help with custody issues if they arise.

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
#10 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 10:31 AM

I wonder if the place that did CVS can use the sample to test paternity? You would still need a sample from the father but might make things easier. Definitely talk to an attorney.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page