16 weeks and SO SICK - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-04-2011, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never been this sick so late in pregnancy. I am up at 4 a.m. because I had to get up and make a snack and drink a litre of water. I have to pack enough food at work so I can eat every hour and a half....and I'm not just talking about a fruit or a yogurt...I am eating probably six meals a day just to not feel like m going to keel over,

I'm forcing myself to eat well so I don't gain 300 pounds, but this is making me crazy. I am so tired. I am sick of being sick and barely functioning. I can barely exercise, when I used to be super active, With my other 4 kids, this was long gone by 13 weeks. I had to actually take medication for the first trimester, I weaned off of it because I was very uncomfortable with that decision, but I'm seriously considering asking for another Rx.

I'm being careful to eat lots of fresh fruit and veg, lean meat, protein, and am trying to keep the carbs and dairy to a minimum because I'm sensitive to both. I do go for a little walk every day, wear full on maternity wear and comfy shoes (which makes me feel so frumpy, I'm short and normally love fashion and heels etc but whatever), I drink a litre of water every hour and a half, eat frequently....any thoughts as to what I might be missing? Suggestions? I just don't think I can keep this up until January.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-04-2011, 06:40 AM

I don't have much advice, but I'd like you to know you are not alone. I will be 17 weeks on Sunday, and I still feel queasy. I gag several times a day (just a dry gag, no actual vomiting luckily) whenever a strong smell crosses my nose, my tummy is empty, I lean over, or sometimes I just don't know why. This has been going on since shortly after we found out I was pregnant.

I try to eat often, as you do, and I think it helps a bit. I also wait to brush my teeth until after breakfast (I used to do it right after waking) because I'm especially prone to gag on an empty tummy. I've also found that drinking water immediately after brushing my teeth (what is it with teeth brushing and pregnancy that makes everyone seem to gag?) helps. Fresh air is also good; stuffy, indoor air often adds to my queasiness. And I avoid long car rides because that was a sure equation for lots of vomiting last time around.

Hope you feel better soon!

Mama to our little boy (3) babyf.gif , the amazing super squirmer, almost born in the taxi...

and our new baby girl stork-girl.gif, caught by her daddy in our bathtub!

#3 of 11 Old 08-04-2011, 12:54 PM

This sucks.... fortunately my morning sickness has just ended with this pregnancy but lasted until 17 weeks with my son.  I just wanted to add one thing besides keeping your stomach full but not too full.  I noticed with my morning sickness if I am not getting enough sleep, it is way worse.  Right now, even though most of mine is gone... if I don't get enough sleep it'll come back almost full force.  It's just something to consider, even though I know this is hard for those of us that are already mamas.  Good luck and hope it ends soon. It's just the pits....

#4 of 11 Old 08-05-2011, 11:12 AM

I'm 17 weeks and still sick, too. And I'm not showing at all. I just feel like I've had the flu for the past three months. It's frustrating...I just want to enjoy pregnancy but I find it difficult to enjoy anything when I'm puking. greensad.gif

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#5 of 11 Old 08-05-2011, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Joyful, have you tried a ginger supplement?  I know my prenatal has ginger in it, and it seemed to really keep the queasies at bay.  Maybe it would be helpful to take ginger via a pill a few times a day? Hope you ladies feel better soon!

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#6 of 11 Old 08-06-2011, 12:04 AM

I'm sorry! :( I know it's so debilitating! It seems like it will never end and you'll never feel better again.

I was very very sick with MS this pregnancy too, unlike my others. It stopped around week 17 for me, but a friend of mine was still throwing up several times a day until 20 weeks with all of her children. I know you mention trying to stay away from carbs, but bread & pizza were all I could eat most days and I'm a vegetarian so I normally eat very healthy but just couldn't. Watermelon also helped me a lot. Walgreens sells ginger gum. I also had a RX for Zofran. I only used it once or twice when I just couldn't move at all. 

#7 of 11 Old 08-14-2011, 06:09 AM

I have been on Zofran since week nine, since I literally wasn't keeping any food or water down otherwise. I felt early on like my body has failed me somehow since I couldn't make it completely on my own, but I know that this was just what had to happen for me to keep my baby growing strong (and me functioning!). I'm at 15 weeks now, and as long as I have food in my stomach ALL THE TIME, I'm more or less okay. It's still tough to get enough water down because having a full stomach makes me nauseous again, but none of the tricks (ginger, B12, wristbands, etc...) did anything. There is no shame in needing some outside help, especially if you feel like your ability to be a mom, future and current, is hindered. I'm working on weaning myself down to one, maybe two doses a day instead of three, but I am eating a ton in the meantime!

#8 of 11 Old 08-15-2011, 04:27 AM

goldfishfox, my dp is in the same situation as you.  this is her second pregnancy having to take zofran just to get by.  she still throws up even when taking it, so you can imagine how terrible it was before she got the rx.  sometimes you just have to do what's best for you and the baby.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#9 of 11 Old 08-15-2011, 09:48 AM

I'm 16.4 weeks and still sick. Super queasy in the morning, having trouble eating, and so freaking tired. I've been at work for 45 minutes already and haven't started a thing. Still waiting for the magical second trimester energy to come my way. Please. praying.gif

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#10 of 11 Old 08-15-2011, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am 16 weeks on Wednesday and still fighting the nausea.  I throw up at least once a day, but usually quite a bit more than that.  I keep waiting for it to subside..so far no luck.  Hope you other mommies get feeling better soon!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#11 of 11 Old 08-18-2011, 02:05 PM

I had an acupuncture session last weekend, and it has really helped with my digestion, energy, and morning nausea. I highly recommend it if it is practical for all of you mamas on this thread. It wasn't a miracle cure, but it really helped.

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page