Anatomy Ultrasound Updates Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 105 Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know a lot of us are having these soonish if we are choosing to do this ultrasound... my midwives recommended one for me around now so I'm going in about ten days (I'll be 19ish weeks). I'm feeling a bit nervous - it's kind of the last major diagnostic thing we'll be doing. 

I thought it would be nice to have a thread to update on how things go for everyone. Would love to hear about your experiences!

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 105 Old 08-05-2011, 08:47 PM

I have one booked for next Thursday. The woman doing the booking asked me if it was twins. I told her not that I'm aware (although I wouldn't be surprised either way on that one). Love to know what she wrote down. lol

She also asked me if I was mobile/able to get around on my own, which I thought was kind of a weird question but I guess you have to be able to get up on the table.

Hoping to find out placental position and gender. And that I'm worrying for nothing about something being wrong.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#3 of 105 Old 08-08-2011, 09:19 AM

I have my u/s booked for the 24th (I'll be 20 weeks 2 days). We declined genetic testing so I didn't have one at 12 weeks. I am excited to see the baby for the first time but also a little nervous. I just started getting braxton hicks which worry me a bit. Just hoping everything looks perfect and placenta is in a good place. We do NOT want to know the sex, so we are also hoping they don't slip up.

slinggirl.gif mama to baby girl E born at home on 1/8/12 with stork-suprise.gif#2 on his or her way around 8/28/13

intactivist.gif toddler.gif homebirth.jpg familybed1.gifcd.gif placenta.gif-eater

#4 of 105 Old 08-08-2011, 10:13 AM

ours is next monday.  :)  we will be finding out the gender.  we also skipped the 12 week u/s and screening.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#5 of 105 Old 08-08-2011, 12:35 PM

I can not wait to find out! Our US is scheduled for the 26th and I am hoping the baby cooperates. My last ultrasound was at 7 weeks and there wasn't much to see except the flicker of the heartbeat. We are undecided if we should bring our DD, age 5, with to the appointment since right after the US is my Dr. appt and I am thinking it could be a long day for her. Anyone have any creative ways to tell family members? I am looking for ideas!

#6 of 105 Old 08-08-2011, 03:58 PM

I had mine today.  Baby is healthy, and we found out we're having another girl!  Seeing her was so enthralling.  I could have watched that blurry black screen for hours.  I sort of lament that we're not having a boy, even though I didn't want a boy more than a girl...it's weird.

#7 of 105 Old 08-08-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maptome View Post

I had mine today.  Baby is healthy, and we found out we're having another girl!  Seeing her was so enthralling.  I could have watched that blurry black screen for hours.  I sort of lament that we're not having a boy, even though I didn't want a boy more than a girl...it's weird.

I felt that way with both of my kids too. I really had no preference one way or the other, but I felt like I would have been kind of disappointed either way. I'm also sort of dreading telling other people the sex of this baby after we find out. We have two girls already and the general perception is "ooo you better be having a boy" which I really dislike.

#8 of 105 Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

I almost wish we were finding out the sex of the baby just so I could tell people in the most hilarious way ever (a friend of mine is doing this with her 2nd)... for close friends/family anyways: invite them over for dinner, tell them to pay attention to the food, and serve either hotdogs or tacos ROTFLMAO.gif

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#9 of 105 Old 08-09-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarwoman View Post

I almost wish we were finding out the sex of the baby just so I could tell people in the most hilarious way ever (a friend of mine is doing this with her 2nd)... for close friends/family anyways: invite them over for dinner, tell them to pay attention to the food, and serve either hotdogs or tacos ROTFLMAO.gif

HAHAAHA!  Brilliant!

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#10 of 105 Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM

Had mine today.  It's a boy.  That makes two of each for us now!  All parts accounted for and looking wonderful joy.gif

#11 of 105 Old 08-09-2011, 11:09 AM

any other fun ideas about how to tell people? lol, I just saw a video of a couple that gave their OB's gender report to a local bakery, and waited until their reveal party to find out with all of their friends and family what the sex was. 

I'm thinking about having friends over for a veggie BBQ with a special cake to reveal the baby's gender. Either I'll do a white cake dyed pink or blue then frosted white, or chocolate cupcakes with pink or blue frosting in the middle so it's a surprise. 

#12 of 105 Old 08-09-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imakecutebabies View Post

any other fun ideas about how to tell people? lol, I just saw a video of a couple that gave their OB's gender report to a local bakery, and waited until their reveal party to find out with all of their friends and family what the sex was. 

I'm thinking about having friends over for a veggie BBQ with a special cake to reveal the baby's gender. Either I'll do a white cake dyed pink or blue then frosted white, or chocolate cupcakes with pink or blue frosting in the middle so it's a surprise. 

If you do a gender party, the only thing I'd suggest is finding out yourselves before you host the party to tell your family/friends.  If you search "gender party" on Youtube, there's a lot of videos that end up capturing disappointment on some parents' faces when they find out.  Kinda makes for an awkward party, IMHO.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#13 of 105 Old 08-09-2011, 03:32 PM

I guess I live in a hole because this whole gender party thing is news to me... but yes my husband and I plan on finding out and sharing the moment together, then having a party a few days after. We'll wait to tell our other kids at the party too :) 

#14 of 105 Old 08-09-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Lol I'd never heard of it either! Makes sense though, saves a million phone calls I guess (?)... I have the fortune (or misfortune) of living in an area where it's apparently 'unethical' for techs to tell you the gender, so no chance of us accidentally finding out. But later, after the baby is born, totally having celebratory genital-themed food.

#15 of 105 Old 08-09-2011, 08:58 PM

I had mine today, too, and it looks like it's a girl! :)

There's a certain part of me that didn't want to have an U/S, but then the other part of me was filled with joy watching the little baby move around and wave at us!

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#16 of 105 Old 08-10-2011, 04:14 AM

congrats on your girl l'lee! :)

funny story - the other day ds1 said "mommy's belly is getting bigger"  me: "yes, do you know why?"  ds1: "yes there is a baby in there.  mum, it has to be a girl baby because we already have a boy baby (ds2) and we don't need 2 of them right?"  lmao.  ds1 has been saying from the time we told him that it is a girl baby.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#17 of 105 Old 08-10-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indigoscot View Post

funny story - the other day ds1 said "mommy's belly is getting bigger"  me: "yes, do you know why?"  ds1: "yes there is a baby in there.  mum, it has to be a girl baby because we already have a boy baby (ds2) and we don't need 2 of them right?"  lmao.  ds1 has been saying from the time we told him that it is a girl baby.

Bwahaha.  I know how he feels.  My scan's not for about 3 more weeks yet, but I feel certain it'll be a second boy and keep complaining childishly (as proven by your son making the same comment :D) that I don't need a boy because I've already got one!

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#18 of 105 Old 08-10-2011, 11:08 AM

Had my u/s today.  It's a girl!  :)  And everything is where it is supposed to be.

We also discovered that the reason that I had felt less movement is because I have an anterior placenta.  Good to know because I was all freaked out. 

Now, off to research spinning baby exercises...

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#19 of 105 Old 08-10-2011, 12:42 PM

Thanks, indigoscot!

It's funny the way kids think of these things and the control they think we have over gender selection, etc.!

My DS told me he wanted a girl before I even got pregnant, so luckily it looks like he will get his way! Now I have to help him understand that the baby will be years younger than him and won't be able to play with him for a while! (I think he wanted a girl because he has a cousin 5 mos younger and they are very good friends, so he was hoping the baby would be close to his age like that!)

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#20 of 105 Old 08-10-2011, 03:48 PM

So far we only have 1 blue name on the roster thread. So strange. Hopefully the boys catch up.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#21 of 105 Old 08-10-2011, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe all of the 'surprise' babies are boys! ROTFLMAO.gif

#22 of 105 Old 08-11-2011, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

shhhhh..... don't say such things! I have a girl name already picked out! ;)

Quote:

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#23 of 105 Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:

We're hoping!  Give me a month!  ;)

#24 of 105 Old 08-11-2011, 09:35 AM

Mine is scheduled for next Wednesday. We did the early screening at a facility that has an amazing machine. She said at the time (though only 13 weeks) that for that stage, it was looking more girl, but obviously couldn't be sure at that stage. Had an ultrasound because of some concerns about 2 weeks ago and they said girl  : )   It wasn't the best machine, though so I'm really looking forward to getting a good look at te placenta, cord, and base of the cord on the baby...oh, and double checking between the legs, lol

Milly, stumbling horribly on God's path, married to my amazing Superhero, and mama to my 3 awesome boys, and my amazing rainbow baby girl!  Missing our Little One, lost 11/09, and our son, stillborn 11/10

#25 of 105 Old 08-11-2011, 01:36 PM

Just got home from the ultrasound. Dh is ecstatic it's not twins. Just 1 wee baby, gender still unknown. Baby is facing down, which is unusual & makes it a lot harder to tell. Measuring just under 18 weeks, but I take that with a grain of salt since I tend to have small babies.

Won't find out if everything was ok until next week, but it seemed to be. Sadly my scanner is broken or I'd post pictures.

#26 of 105 Old 08-11-2011, 03:26 PM

Had my u/s at 14 weeks due to a concern of a lump in my mid abdomen.  But, all is fine.  I hadn't planned on having an u/s at all.  We also will not be finding out the gender.  We are esp. curious this time since we have 2 boys and 2 girls.  I'm secretly hoping for a girl since our girls are the youngest.  But, my storage is packed full of boy clothes never worn by my two oldest, and I think a sandwich of boys for our girls would be appropriate too.

Mother to Obadiah, Ira, fencing.gifEva, dust.gifand Ailsa babyf.gif, wife of wonderful state trooper in Alaskacold.gifhomeschool.gifwinner.jpgteapot2.GIFdog2.gifdog2.gifcat.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgpraying.gif
#27 of 105 Old 08-12-2011, 12:19 PM

We had our A/S today. Everything looked great according to the tech. The tech asked if I was leaning one way or another. As I was telling her how I was thinking boy at first, but now girl, she found the gender shot... I said looks like I was wrong before she could even say "It's a boy"! It was a clear shot...haha! He was bouncing all over the place after that, so I guess he was excited for us to find out. Looks like he will be my wild-child compared to my laid back DS! :)

aj- married to JA and mami to Bug (11/09) and Critter (1/12)!

#28 of 105 Old 08-15-2011, 10:57 AM

we had our 20 week u/s this morning and we are having a healthy baby GIRL!!!! :)  we are so excited.  :)  it really is raining girls in this ddc.

g

#29 of 105 Old 08-15-2011, 11:00 AM

Great news, G!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#30 of 105 Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 AM

hooray!  i like this trend!  congrats to your family, g!

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page