Kicks and thumps! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 08-06-2011, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think I felt the baby 'kick' tonight!

It was probably that it was lying almost totally sideways... but just to the right of my belly button and down a little, I had my hand on my stomach and there was a little 'pop' underneath it, and my hand moved! Also my bladder was full so figured baby was running out of room ;) Then two more of the same 'kick', but moving over from right to left, and lessening in intensity... 

I am loving experiencing things from "this side" - I feel like I have so much 'theoretical' knowledge about birth and pregnancy, but I'm so enjoying putting that 'aside' in a way, and really just working things out in my own body. (On a totally unrelated note, a beautiful blog post that I've found inspiring about/related to these sorts of feelings... http://vancouverdoula.blogspot.com/2010/03/slow-birth-preparation.html)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 29 Old 08-07-2011, 08:14 AM

Congratulations!!  It's such a cool feeling!  I've been feeling movement for about two weeks now, and it still catches me off guard every single time!  Enjoy! joy.gif

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#3 of 29 Old 08-07-2011, 08:57 AM

Isn't it just a lovely feeling?  It only gets bigger and better as you are further along! :)

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#4 of 29 Old 08-07-2011, 09:43 AM

I've been feeling movement for a few weeks, but today I just felt it from the outside for the first time this pregnancy.  Magical love.gif

#5 of 29 Old 08-07-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

From the outside is DEFINITELY amazing! I have been feeling baby since about 12 weeks. I didn't realize this at the time, but figured out by comparing the movement I feel now to what I felt then and realized it's the same... I would say I only really put them together in the last couple of weeks. 

Can't wait for DH to feel the baby move too! So far it's just me exclaiming and then him running over without baby doing a repeat performance. 

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#6 of 29 Old 08-07-2011, 04:48 PM

I thought I felt mine earlier, but I think it was just my uterus stretching. I did feel some distinctive "popcorn" feelings last night for the first time...17 weeks today. It's finally starting to feel real! love.gif

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#7 of 29 Old 08-12-2011, 08:43 AM

I thought I felt movement a couple of weeks ago, but not really recently.  Is that normal at this stage?  I'm 16 weeks.  Is anyone else not feeling movement, or much movement?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#8 of 29 Old 08-12-2011, 08:49 AM

^^^ I'm 16 weeks and have nada in the movement department.

Angela
#9 of 29 Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

I thought I felt movement a couple of weeks ago, but not really recently.  Is that normal at this stage?  I'm 16 weeks.  Is anyone else not feeling movement, or much movement?

I felt a full flutter around 16 weeks and then nothing again until just last night when my husband put his hand on my stomach after a massage!! I'm almost 19 weeks now. The baby just keeps kicking away today too, its so exciting! It's so funny how light the kicks are at this point. Tiny tiny baby feets hehe..  

#10 of 29 Old 08-13-2011, 08:07 AM

for some reason, i've got myself all convinced that i have an anterior placenta this time.  i've been feeling lots of movement inside since around 12 weeks, but i haven't been able to feel anything from the outside yet, and i'm a skinny thing.  last baby, i didn't pick up on the internal movement so early, but i was feeling kicks from the outside by now.

i had an ultrasound at 12+ weeks, and no one mentioned the placenta then- i wonder if they would have brought it up at the time, if it were anterior.  i've been reading up on anterior placentas, and feeling a little anxious.  must maintain my zen.  must maintain my zen....

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#11 of 29 Old 08-13-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoreMom View Post

for some reason, i've got myself all convinced that i have an anterior placenta this time.  i've been feeling lots of movement inside since around 12 weeks, but i haven't been able to feel anything from the outside yet, and i'm a skinny thing.  last baby, i didn't pick up on the internal movement so early, but i was feeling kicks from the outside by now.

i had an ultrasound at 12+ weeks, and no one mentioned the placenta then- i wonder if they would have brought it up at the time, if it were anterior.  i've been reading up on anterior placentas, and feeling a little anxious.  must maintain my zen.  must maintain my zen....

Hi, same thing here - I've felt movement (I mostly feel it on my left side or at my cervix) from 11 weeks, but not in the front or externally so much, except that I'm not as skinny as you are. ;)

I just had my ultrasound this week and I do have an anterior placenta, so I was wondering - are you worried about the baby's position at birth? Any links you think are worth posting?

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#12 of 29 Old 08-13-2011, 09:26 AM

imakecutebabies, it really helps my nerves that you felt some movement and then not again for a couple of weeks!  Like hardcoremom, I must maintain my zen!  Where is a yoga studio with more classes on Saturday?!

Om'ing to Peace

#13 of 29 Old 08-13-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'lee View Post

Hi, same thing here - I've felt movement (I mostly feel it on my left side or at my cervix) from 11 weeks, but not in the front or externally so much, except that I'm not as skinny as you are. ;)

I just had my ultrasound this week and I do have an anterior placenta, so I was wondering - are you worried about the baby's position at birth? Any links you think are worth posting?

yeah, i'm basically worried about baby's positioning for birth.  i've always done everything i can to assure good positioning in each of my prior pregnancies, and had really positive, easy births, and i guess i feel stressed that it might take lots of extra obsessing/work to get the baby well positioned this time (if it's even in my hands at all).  something to look to my MW for reassurance with, i suppose.

i have seen spinningbabies.com referenced in lots of different places (there's this), but i haven't really spent a lot of time on the site.  at this point, it kind of feels like one of those things that i should let "be" for now.  i'm doing what i normally do in pregnancy, and trying to just be present in the moment.  i'm telling myself not to worry about things until i get u/s confirmation, and a chance to talk through things with my MW.  after all, in the great scheme of things, it looks more like small potatoes.  more than anything, we just want healthy babies.  ok, zen... zen....

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#14 of 29 Old 08-13-2011, 12:52 PM

^^^ I mentioned Optimal Fetal Positioning in another thread.  Following the guidelines really helped to allow two extremely easy deliveries.

Angela
#15 of 29 Old 08-13-2011, 01:58 PM

yeah, angela, i always follow those, and they have also really helped me with my previous labors.  i just feel anxious thinking that i might be predisposed to malpositioning this time around, despite my best efforts.

#16 of 29 Old 08-13-2011, 03:15 PM

Girl, we have so.much.time. to get these fetus' in order!  At least that's what I tell myself since January feels forever away. :)

Angela
#17 of 29 Old 08-13-2011, 04:16 PM

angela, i like you so much.  thanks.  :)

#18 of 29 Old 08-13-2011, 09:00 PM

I did a quick google search earlier after reading that and that page was at the top. :)

I'm going to try not to worry about it. The ultrasound tech also said that baby is breech, but I figure at this point - big deal, who cares?!

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#19 of 29 Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 AM

I just had my ultrasound at 19 weeks and I also have an anterior placenta, and it's currently over my c-section scar. I'm also concerned because I am planning a homebirth vbac, but the dr wasn't worried about it and said it will likely move as my uterus grows. She said if I was worried about it I could get an other ultrasound later on. Is there a good reason to do that?

#20 of 29 Old 08-19-2011, 03:06 PM

Regarding kicks and thumps... Yesterday, I felt for the first time a good strong, soccer-style kick!  Today, I felt a few smaller kicks and thumps together.  Thank goodness, I was getting a bit worried! I'm 17w1d and basically floating around today because of it :-)

wombjuice likes this.

Om'ing to Peace

#21 of 29 Old 08-19-2011, 05:18 PM

Yay, element!!  I'm so happy for you!! joy.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

Regarding kicks and thumps... Yesterday, I felt for the first time a good strong, soccer-style kick!  Today, I felt a few smaller kicks and thumps together.  Thank goodness, I was getting a bit worried! I'm 17w1d and basically floating around today because of it :-)

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#22 of 29 Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 AM

I am 18w 6days, and have been feeling movement since at least 12 weeks, maybe earlier. This is my first pregnancy, but I tend to be pretty in tune with my body. Yesterday I got home from an exhausting week-long trip and was laying on the bed with my partner resting. I was feeling the baby very strongly and invited him to feel as well. My partner easily felt a few strong kicks and it was incredibly exciting for both of us! YAY!

Mama to DD born 1/28/12, and baby #2 on the way in January '14!

#23 of 29 Old 08-22-2011, 09:58 AM

Felt the baby *from the outside* for the first time yesterday. This baby is getting strong, FAST! Can I just say that I literally feel drunk off of these baby kicks?! I could seriously sit around all day just waiting for the next one. BEST. FEELING. EVER!!!!!!!

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#24 of 29 Old 08-26-2011, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I've been feeling soft kicks for the past few weeks, but last week they got STRONG!  I didn't think my DH would be able to feel yet, but no sooner had he put his hand on my belly that baby delivered a strong solid kick!  DH was blown away... His comment (with wide eyes): "Uh, THAT must be highly disconcerting to feel all day long." 

It is truly the most magical thing... ever.  I'm so in love with this little person inside me. :)

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#25 of 29 Old 08-27-2011, 04:06 PM

It IS the most magical thing ever!

I've felt my little one on the outside a couple times now, but she gets shy when other people put their hands on my belly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

I've been feeling soft kicks for the past few weeks, but last week they got STRONG!  I didn't think my DH would be able to feel yet, but no sooner had he put his hand on my belly that baby delivered a strong solid kick!  DH was blown away... His comment (with wide eyes): "Uh, THAT must be highly disconcerting to feel all day long." 

It is truly the most magical thing... ever.  I'm so in love with this little person inside me. :)

#26 of 29 Old 11-16-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Reviving this thread.. has your LO changed movement patterns at all? I have less octopus-action (kicking all over the place) and more definite rustling where feet are, stretching where a bum is, and little pokey hands if baby turns posterior (which seems to be incredibly uncomfortable). Overall though I would say baby is moving less than say, a month ago. It's usually quiet in the morning and perks up in the afternoon/evening/night.

#27 of 29 Old 11-16-2011, 01:50 PM

cedarwoman, I wish I was carrying your baby...my sweet pea never seems to stop moving!! Practicing for the Olympics or something, I swear....and often I have this weird protrusion in the middle of my upper belly because she just has to show off her butt!!  If I push it in to get more comfortable, she just moves it and sticks it out somewhere else...I think she was going through a growth spurt a couple weeks ago, because there were little movements but not a whole lot, but for approximately the last week-and-a-half she'll usually have a good stretching/rolling session, then a short nap, then another session, then another short nap, etc....

Theatre-techie at heart, married to a theatre-techie hubby,and mama to an incredible baby girl, (h20homebirth.gifJan 14, 2012) and expecting a surprise in July 2014!  We are having a blastbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif, andfemalesling.GIF.
#28 of 29 Old 11-16-2011, 10:10 PM

Mine has changed a lot, almost in the same way as yours, cedarwoman..... less octopus action is a good way to describe it!  I think he or she is getting a little tight in there.  I mostly just feel feet and knees at the top..... so head down, and persisting posterior, just like my son did straight through to labor.  This baby, though, is no where near as active as my son was.... he liked to do complete alien like body flips!  (Maybe my second will be mellower!)

#29 of 29 Old 11-17-2011, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Oh yeah, the changes are very noticeable!  No more kicking, now it's more like someone is pushing the end of a broomstick across the inside of my belly.  I also have begun to feel some grinding on my cervix and/or bladder; I can tell perfectly when she's moving her head, it's so cool!  She's pretty good about sleeping when I sleep, and only moves when I change position or get up to go to the bathroom and lie down again.  Also, she'll kick both legs at the same time sometimes, so I feel extreme pressure on two places at once, which is weird!

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page