taking off your (wedding or other) rings - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-13-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, after a little over 5 years (combination of procrastination and the shop being 300 miles away), I finally had my wedding ring repaired from having to cut it off when I was pregnant with DS! YAY!

I was probably 32+ weeks when I had to do it, so there's probably a decent amount of time left now, but I wanted to give you all the heads up that at some point, you might want to take off any rings that you have and keep them in a safe place for a little while. In any case, as we progress in our pregnancies, it is good to check to make sure you can get your rings off periodically.

It was pretty sudden when it got too tight for me, and I felt pretty panicked when I tried several different things to get it off and nothing worked.

I'm paranoid about it and even though I'm really excited to have my ring back, and even though I can put it on and take it off right now, I'm keeping it in the box until after this baby is born - I've waited 5 years, I can wait a few more months!

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#2 of 14 Old 08-13-2011, 09:30 AM

Good reminder.  I've been putting off having my ring (white gold) redipped until I can no longer wear it this pregnancy.  I think it will be a nice treat to have it look shiny and new when I can finally wear it again.

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

#3 of 14 Old 08-13-2011, 12:50 PM

I wonder how many women go through the experience of not being able to remove their rings.  This has never happened to me, but I don't swell at all (*knock on wood*!!).

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#4 of 14 Old 08-13-2011, 02:24 PM

I had to take mine off at about 8 weeks, I swelled up fast with this one lol

#5 of 14 Old 08-13-2011, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I take mine off when I get home and put it in a jewelry box. If I wear it over night (even when I'm not pregnant) my finger swells up. Last pregnancy I took a nice chain that I had and wore it on the chain around my neck once I wasn't able to wear it on my finger anymore.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#6 of 14 Old 08-13-2011, 09:11 PM

I tried the chain thing on my last pregnancy, but couldn't stand the feeling of something around my neck.  This time, I bought a cheapo (but still nice-looking) ring in a couple sizes bigger than my actual wedding ring, for just this reason - so I don't feel guilty about not wearing a wedding ring and keep my real one on longer than I should.  I'm guessing I have maybe another week or two before I'll have to wear the bigger ring.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#7 of 14 Old 08-13-2011, 10:45 PM

Ok I know this is shallow but I am totally up for any plan that allows me to purchase jewelry, lol!!
#8 of 14 Old 08-14-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchobhar View Post

I tried the chain thing on my last pregnancy, but couldn't stand the feeling of something around my neck.  This time, I bought a cheapo (but still nice-looking) ring in a couple sizes bigger than my actual wedding ring, for just this reason - so I don't feel guilty about not wearing a wedding ring and keep my real one on longer than I should.  I'm guessing I have maybe another week or two before I'll have to wear the bigger ring.

This is what I did in my first pregnancy.  I started swelling (and I had also gained a TON of weight) by 24 weeks so I bought a fake stone wedding set to wear instead.  I actually got many compliments on it :P

In my 2nd pregnancy I could wear it right up until delivery.  In my 3rd I think I stopped wearing it around 35 weeks, i could still squeeze into it for a dinner out or something but that's it.

I don't wear my rings unless I'm leaving the house anyway, though.  I keep them on a ring holder in a cabinet in my kitchen.

#9 of 14 Old 08-15-2011, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Too late for me... ugh.  oops.gif

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#10 of 14 Old 08-16-2011, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

After my experiences today with my hand swelling up twice (while on long walks, so maybe that was the cause?) I don't think I'll be wearing my ring tomorrow. :-(

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#11 of 14 Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 AM

We barely got my rings off this time!  I happened to look at my hand, and noticed my ring finger was swollen on the end.My finger was deformed-looking until the next morning!  It was really scary, but my husband and lots of dish soap saved me! 

#12 of 14 Old 08-22-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

So glad you managed to get it off your finger! It happened so fast with me, and it WAS scary!

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#13 of 14 Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 AM

That reminds me.. Windex is excellent at getting stuck rings off.  When we were wedding band shopping I tried on a million rings in one day and my finger swelled up.. I had this gorgeous ring on and couldn't get it off.  The woman at the store brought out a bottle of Windex and it slid right off.

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

#14 of 14 Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 AM

Windex?  That is fascinating! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page