Anterior Placenta? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 08-19-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know there are others in this DDC that have been told they have an anterior placenta... my u/s tech said that I did as well, yet I frequently feel kick from baby in the front and towards the top of my uterus. (Good strong hard ones!) Is this still possible with an anterior placenta? She said it was more towards the top of my uterus, so I'm thinking it could possibly move still as it grows?

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 27 Old 08-19-2011, 11:32 PM

It's still possible to feel kicks with an anterior placenta. It just might be more difficult, depending on the exact location of the placenta, the location of the baby & how big the placenta is.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#3 of 27 Old 09-03-2011, 12:56 AM

i have a anterior placenta and i felt baby at 14 weeks for the first time and i feel him 24/7 now at 22 weeks

#4 of 27 Old 09-03-2011, 07:09 AM

Sure.  You can feel it all...just a bit more dulled.  The only possible issue would be baby's positioning during labor, but placentas move all the time so it's not a major concern.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#5 of 27 Old 09-03-2011, 06:54 PM

my placenta is square in front of my belly.  i'm thin, and i have always felt movement really early in each of my pregnancies, but i'm 19.5 weeks now, and i am only JUST starting to feel the faintest little nudges.  i was so concerned until i saw the u/s and had it all confirmed.

hooray for the anterior placenta club!

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#6 of 27 Old 09-03-2011, 07:33 PM

I think we need to be careful how we word things. :) Placentas don't actually move, they are firmly implanted in the uterus. However, as the uterus grows, the placenta ends up in a different spot. Kind of like if you put a spot on a balloon & then blow up the balloon, the spot isn't moving, but it'll end up much higher than it started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

Sure.  You can feel it all...just a bit more dulled.  The only possible issue would be baby's positioning during labor, but placentas move all the time so it's not a major concern.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#7 of 27 Old 09-04-2011, 04:16 AM

I have an anterior placenta that is quite high. We saw our midwife yesterday and she wasn't concerned at all. I've been feeling movement since 18 weeks but still now at 22 weeks no matter how hard I think babe is kicking, my husband has only been able to feel movement on the outside once.
#8 of 27 Old 09-04-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoreMom View Post

my placenta is square in front of my belly.  i'm thin, and i have always felt movement really early in each of my pregnancies, but i'm 19.5 weeks now, and i am only JUST starting to feel the faintest little nudges.  i was so concerned until i saw the u/s and had it all confirmed.

hooray for the anterior placenta club!

Ditto, ditto, ditto! I didn't feel squat until 19 weeks.

Devaskyla - you word it how you want. smile.gif. My point was that today's placenta and 40 week's placenta are decidedly in different spots.

Angela
#9 of 27 Old 09-04-2011, 08:53 AM

I also have an anterior placenta and it is very low lying. I'm concerned because I'm planning an hbac and if its over my scar I will risk out of the home birth. But everyone says it "should" move. I will have an ultrasound later on to see. I suppose there's nothing I can do to help it if it doesn't actually move?

#10 of 27 Old 09-04-2011, 12:19 PM

mine is too.  At the ultrasound baby girl was flipping and kicking and going nuts, and I could hardly feel any of it. :(  I am a little disappointed that I'm missing out on so much of her activity, and I tend to worry that she's okay because I don't feel her moving. I'm hoping as she gets bigger I'll start to feel more, though.

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

#11 of 27 Old 09-04-2011, 03:16 PM

Oh, yeah, definitely. smile.gif You wouldn't believe the number of women I've run into lately who think the placenta literally moves around, though. It's both funny & disturbing.

Waluso, it will definitely be higher by 40 weeks than it is now. The concern is if it's embedded in the scar. It's a really unlikely situation. Even if part of it is over the scar, it's unlikely to be part that's actually embedded in it.

#12 of 27 Old 09-04-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

Oh, yeah, definitely. smile.gif You wouldn't believe the number of women I've run into lately who think the placenta literally moves around, though. It's both funny & disturbing.

Yeah.  The older I get the more I realize some people are just clueless.  My husband works with this woman that's late 20s/early 30s and she was "trying" to get pregnant, but it just wasn't happening.  So she went to her OB and get some advice.  Turns out she had no freaking clue about how cycles work and when you get pregnant.  She didn't even understand ovulation as a marker.  Her OB told her to read some information about cycling and, low and behold, she got pregnant the next month.  HOW do you make it to be that age and NOT know this stuff?!

Angela
#13 of 27 Old 09-04-2011, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

I think spinningbabies.com is probably your best source of info on anterior placentas (and also a good source of practical reassurance :)

None of what has been mentioned quite adds up for me! I have been feeling kicks since about 15 weeks, and they got REALLY strong at 17 weeks... haven't let up since. I took a plane last week and the baby's kicks in the top front of my belly were visible from the outside (I think I have a LONG baby - I have a long torso and Husband is 6'4"...) Oh well. Maybe the midwives can shed some light on this, I see them tomorrow morning :)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#14 of 27 Old 09-05-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy1127 View Post

;What does PP mean about baby's positioning?  
Posterior babies don't always slide out as easily...that's all. In some cases there is more discomfort to the mother.

Angela
#15 of 27 Old 09-05-2011, 06:45 AM

i love how you keep using the word "discomfort," angela- i keep thinking "screaming pain."  kidding, of course.  lol.gif

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#16 of 27 Old 09-05-2011, 08:32 AM

*snicker*

Well, I don't *really* want to tell the first time mothers what it feels like to have a huge baby rip you apart...  But now I have!  My son ripped my labia so much that it was literally hanging on by a thread!  So, yeah, a tiny bit of discomfort!!

Angela
#17 of 27 Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 PM

::crossing my legs::

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#18 of 27 Old 09-06-2011, 06:08 AM

I have an anterior placenta this time around and I definitely have noticed a difference in movement.  Though this guy seems just as active as my older son and I feel him all day long, I ONLY feel the kicks at the very bottom and very top of my uterus.  Clear as day, but limited in range.  Made so much more sense when I found out I had an anterior placenta-- I couldn't understand why I never felt anything in between before that. 

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#19 of 27 Old 09-06-2011, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

My boy has an anterior placenta and my girl's is posterior.  I can feel a huge difference when each of them kick.  I can still feel the boy's if he's kicking in just the right spot (usually my cervix) and sometimes they feel "muted" if that makes sense.  My girl, I can feel a lot more movement.  Their kicks are getting a lot stronger this week, so I imagine I feel him even more now.

Me: 33 PCOS Him: 33 vericocele
13 long years of TTC using various methods before the twins finally came - Too much history to list
IVF #1 11 weeks
IVF #2 Liam and Maisie (now 2 years old)
IVF #3 BFN and no frosties
IVF #4 BFP!!!! Twins again!

#20 of 27 Old 09-08-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldandsleepy View Post

I ONLY feel the kicks at the very bottom and very top of my uterus.  Clear as day, but limited in range.  Made so much more sense when I found out I had an anterior placenta-- I couldn't understand why I never felt anything in between before that. 

That's funny because I ONLY feel kicks on the left and right sides of my uterus.  It pretty much depends on which side I'm laying on then the babe falls down and starts kicking.  It's pretty sweet...like s/he is swimming back to the middle. :)

Angela
#21 of 27 Old 09-08-2011, 07:33 PM

man, i must have a HUGE placenta or something, cause i don't feel kicks anywhere!  i definitely feel movement inside, but i can't feel anything from the outside- and after 3 kids, i'm totally attuned to it!

enjoy the kicks, my friends!  i'm sure my time will come, too.  : )

p.s. i know that my placenta is likely just the same size as anyone else at this gestation.  it's just weird that i don't feel anything... anywhere...

#22 of 27 Old 09-08-2011, 07:45 PM

I had my son's placenta encapusulated and the woman made a point to tell me that it was the smallest placenta she had ever seen - and he was 41w3d so not a small kid.  Maybe I just make lilliputian placantas or something!

I wouldn't think twice, HCM...there's no feeling from the outside yet.  I just keep telling myself that we are sooooo far behind the rest of the DDC!

Angela
#23 of 27 Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 PM

a teeny placenta with a big baby!  you cook them long after your due date, too, huh?

yeah, i'm trying to stay patient.  having you with me here in the tail end of the DDC helps.  i don't know about you, but i have a feeling i'll still be pregnant in february.  at least we'll be feeling kicks by then!

#24 of 27 Old 09-09-2011, 05:54 AM

Well my fingers are (barely) crossed that I don't deliver until Feb as my son's birthday is 1/23 and I'd like both kids to at least have their own birthday week, yk? My EDD is 1/25 and my last US dated me as 1/21 so we shall see what happens. I always rest assured that nobody stays pregnant forever!

How long do you cook your babies?

Angela
#25 of 27 Old 09-09-2011, 06:11 AM

that is too funny- my last DS is also a Jan baby, too.  he was born 1/30.

i have always cooked them 41+ weeks.  i suppose they could share a birthday, but it would really surprise me if she came that early.

how did you like having a january baby last time?  i've had them in the summer and in the winter, and i love, LOVE having winter babies.  falling snow, everyone huddled inside, the perfect time to snuggle and bond and let the world go by for a bit.  :)

#26 of 27 Old 09-09-2011, 06:56 AM

I know a handful of people with a 1/30 birthdate. How funny your little guy fits the bill, too. smile.gif

January is a great baby month (minus being so close to holiday gifting). Hanging out and sipping hot chocolate while nursing in bed. Swoon!

Angela
#27 of 27 Old 09-18-2011, 03:45 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page