Baby gear advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 08-21-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there, this is my first pregnancy and I am overwhelmed by all the baby "stuff" out there. Of course I need to get going on our registry or my mom will not be happy.

Can anyone give advice on what is absolutely essential, vs. nice to have? Especially strollers, strollers with car seats attached etc. I can't see why I need a stroller with a car seat attached-can I just carry the baby in a front pack or sling for a while?

thanks all!

#2 of 28 Old 08-21-2011, 04:24 PM

i'd check out this recent thread- it was full of some good ideas.  it might be helpful to just keep the conversation going there... or not.  :)

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#3 of 28 Old 08-21-2011, 04:33 PM

Basically, nothing is essential except a carseat!  Everything else you've got on you. . .boobs and hands. :) I had really no idea last time either and I didn't buy much, figured I'd get stuff as I went. Found that I really didn't need much at all in the first 8 weeks, after that baby gets more "interactive" and some toys and such are nice, but at first all they need is food and love. Really.

But here is my list of things that are good to have around in the first month or two:

For mom (assuming you will be BFing, I haven't bottle fed so don't know all the stuff you'd need for that):

--breast pads (you will likely leak A LOT at first)

--lansinoh for sore nipples (although I didn't find it essential)

--a breast pump is really nice to have for engorgement or other issues, but they can be easily rented too

--I'm definitely going to have these this time, although some cold and hot packs can work just as well  http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Mama-Angel-Baby-Booby/dp/B000JVGR4I

--"Boopy" pillow, although rolled towels or other pillows can work too for BFing

For baby:

--simple basic clothing, cotton onesies and sleepers, sleep sacks, wool longies, hats

--lots of receiving blankets (you wind up with them all over the house and use them for many

things)

--swaddle blankets!  swaddling can really make a difference and having big enough blankets (or the special swaddle one's) and learning how to use them are a must)

--moby wrap or other safe baby carrier (I found that my ds hated the stroller till he was big enough to sit up in it and so I wore him for the first months and found it much easier actually than lugging the carseat and stroller combo!) I wound up with a Moby, a Becco and an Ergo and still want to get a ring sling and a woven wrap for this babe!

--burp cloths! I just use prefolds

--bouncy chair (the vibrating kind). I basically wore or held ds for the first 2 months non-stop, but the vibrating chair was a godsend for those moments I needed to shower or use the bathroom.

--a thermometer is good to have and also a nose aspirator (check out "the nose Frida", sounds gross, but is amazing!)

--obviously diapers, and a it's nice to have a good, all natural diaper rash cream handy (Earth Mama Angel Baby is good). They used to tell you to swap the umbilical stump with alchohol, but with ds they said to just leave it alone. 

--it's nice to have a rocking chair or a birth/yoga ball as newborns love that sort of swaying, repetitive motion. some do like those electric swings, but my ds didn't want to be out of arms, so again just a wrap/carrier was the best thing I could have.

that's all I can think of at the moment. . .

of course there is tons of stuff you *could* get and might make your mom happy RE a registry. :) Here are some things that I think are non-essential, but wouldn't mind having/getting last time (now I have most of these already): a baby bathtub, baby bath towel, natural and non-chemical baby shampoo (I rec. California Baby) a diaper pail, changing table/pad, dresser for babies clothes, mobiles, simple colorful toys (I like the Lamaze toys or Haba's wooden rattles), you could start the baby a library even though they obviously won't use it for awhile (so many lovely kids books--get board books!), play mat, "excersaucer" (although they won't need/use this for awhile).

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#4 of 28 Old 08-24-2011, 04:26 PM

I would say, in no particular order:

Lansioh

Boppy/Breastfriend

Car Seat

Beco/Ergo/Whatever 

Some soft of chair... a "bouncer" or whatever to put the baby in while you pee/shove a PBJ down your throat

Miracle Blanket/s

Usual baby clothing items

If you're registering and looking for a more comprehensive list I have one I can forward you.  But this is what I would make sure I had in my house for Birth day. 

#5 of 28 Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, this is so helpful! I'm feeling better already.

#6 of 28 Old 08-31-2011, 09:55 AM

What kind of baby wraps/ carriers is everyone using?

Its been several years since our last baby so I've sold the ones we had, but this is one of the few things I will be buying again. I'd like to just get one. We had a Baby Bjorn, a snuggly, and one of those trendy shoulder sling things. I actually preferred the cheap snuggly the most because it was comfortable and easy to use, but it didn't feel safe to me. I'm looking at the Ergos now bc dad wants to wear baby on his back, but they are so expensive... anyone have one? Are they worth it? I know mobys are pretty popular but I'm kind of lazy... 

#7 of 28 Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 AM

I intend to have a mei tai and a mobi wrap.  The mei tai is going to mostly be for my partner, since the idea of him struggling to wrap and tie 18 feet of fabric, though hilarious, would likely end poorly.  But I have to make two mei tais, because he's so much bigger than I am that me using the one that fits him just wouldn't be practical.  We also have a snuggli that we got for free that I will definitely be trying but am not sure I will like overly much (especially because the carriers I will be making will be so pretty in comparison! :) )

Mei tais are awesome IMO.  They can also be used for back carriers with bigger babies and are really easy to wear.

#8 of 28 Old 08-31-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imakecutebabies View Post

Its been several years since our last baby so I've sold the ones we had, but this is one of the few things I will be buying again. I'd like to just get one. We had a Baby Bjorn, a snuggly, and one of those trendy shoulder sling things. I actually preferred the cheap snuggly the most because it was comfortable and easy to use, but it didn't feel safe to me. I'm looking at the Ergos now bc dad wants to wear baby on his back, but they are so expensive... anyone have one? Are they worth it? I know mobys are pretty popular but I'm kind of lazy... 

I have a homemade Moby and Mei Tei that I will use.  I used the Moby up until DD was about 18 months, then switched over to the Mei Tei.  I'm with you, though...this time around, I really, really want an Ergo, for once the kid is a little older and heavier.  I'm saving up for it right now.  I've heard they're great.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#9 of 28 Old 08-31-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:

The moby/stretchy wrap is definitely a good choice for the newborn squishy phase. I had one w/DS, but he got heavy really fast so, I now have a couple of woven wraps. I second the mei tais being awesome. I have one, and while I didn't like it when DS was little (although I've seen softer bodied ones that I think I would've liked better), I love it now that he is a toddler. I haven't ever used an Ergo, but I know that lots of people like them. I really want to try a boba for the older baby/ toddler stage, and I would love to try a beco (I've heard great things about them), but there's no stores that sell them around here to just try on.. and not enough funds to support my "I wants!". Do you have a store that sells carriers nearby, or a babywearing group? Alot of times they will let you try them out. Another good option is a ring-sling. You can cuddle up your LO, and they aren't too tricky to figure out and seem (to me) to offer more support/carry options than a pouch or non-ring type sling.

ETA: http://www.theportablebaby.com/carrierfeatures.html This give a comparison of some of the carriers.

imakecutebabies likes this.

aj- married to JA and mami to Bug (11/09) and Critter (1/12)!

#10 of 28 Old 08-31-2011, 11:40 AM

I looooove a good Moby when they're infants, but it does NOT work when they have much weight to them as they just get droopy!  Mei Tais are so comfy and easy to use in a zillion positions.  But, I must say my best (and there have been many) wrap purchase was my Beco.  LOVE that thing!  I seriously love how easy it is so my old many can get it on, I love how you can keep the baby in it while moving to a front or back carry *OR* handing baby over to another person.  LOVE love love that thing!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#11 of 28 Old 08-31-2011, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

What are the best carriers for having the baby on your side once they're old enough to support their head and sit upright?  It makes me sad to see older babies smashed against their mother's chest when they should be looking out into the world and interacting!

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#12 of 28 Old 08-31-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

What are the best carriers for having the baby on your side once they're old enough to support their head and sit upright?  It makes me sad to see older babies smashed against their mother's chest when they should be looking out into the world and interacting!

Probably won't answer your question, but as soon as DD was old enough, I turned her around in the Moby, so she was facing front.  When she got too heavy for a front carry, I put her on my back and she could look around just fine.  Moby does have a couple side-carries, but I never tried them because they seemed like the baby would just get in the way of me using my arms.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#13 of 28 Old 08-31-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:

There's a hip carry that be done with the Moby, but I found a ring sling to give better support. The ergo also has a hip carry option. The Moby and ring sling also have forward-facing positions. Back carries in a Moby, ring sling, or mai tai can also give baby a pretty good view of the world. Our favorite was the hip carry using a ring sling.

#14 of 28 Old 08-31-2011, 06:38 PM

Babies that can hold their heads do great with back carries as they can see over their mother's shoulders.

Angela
#15 of 28 Old 08-31-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:

Beco Gemini looks good: http://www.theportablebaby.com/images/beco_gemini_positions.jpg

I'm leaning more toward this than the Ergo now... I'm going to try to find a store close by to actually try them on sometime soon. 

#16 of 28 Old 09-01-2011, 12:44 AM

Bjorn, snuggli's, etc are crotch danglers. Hard on the baby, the wearer & damaging, especially to baby boys. They don't properly support the baby, causing them to sit on the base of the spine instead of on their bums. Proper carriers also support the baby's thighs so that the knees are higher than the hips.

I'd really like to get a Sleepy Wrap this time. I've heard they're better than Moby's and I've never owned a decent stretchy wrap. I haven't used one at all since ds2 was a newborn.

I have several wraps, my favourite is the Leo Storch. There's a couple others I'd like to get but I'm not sure I'll have the funds. I'd love to get a water wrap or MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchobhar View Post

Probably won't answer your question, but as soon as DD was old enough, I turned her around in the Moby, so she was facing front.  When she got too heavy for a front carry, I put her on my back and she could look around just fine.  Moby does have a couple side-carries, but I never tried them because they seemed like the baby would just get in the way of me using my arms.

Wearing a baby forward facing is very hard on their spines & very hard on the wearer's back & shoulders. I don't know why wrap companies keep promoting it as an acceptable carry, it really isn't. Back carries are much better, easy on the baby & wearer & the baby can look around when it wants without getting too much stimulation. Unfortunately, stretchy wraps can't be used for back carries, they're not safe enough.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#17 of 28 Old 09-01-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:

I'm leaning more toward this than the Ergo now... I'm going to try to find a store close by to actually try them on sometime soon. 

If you're thinking of an Ergo then look at the Beco, too.  They're very similar, but the Beco has a piece of fabric between you and the babe so you can keep the babe in it while adjusting carries *or* handing over to another person.  Seriously, that simple piece of fabric makes things a lot easier to move the kid around.

Angela
#18 of 28 Old 09-01-2011, 08:42 AM

Conchobar - how big was your daughter when you were doing these carries with your Moby?  I swear, I can't use mine past six months or so as my kids are *heavy*, but it might just be because I make big babies.

Angela
#19 of 28 Old 09-01-2011, 08:51 AM

Trying to remember...  Think I started back-carrying when she was 1-ish.  So....about 20 lbs or so?  I still back-carry my DD at 2 1/2 years...but I used to be a stagehand.  I'm used to carrying really heavy stage equipment.  I don't know if that makes the difference or not.

#20 of 28 Old 09-01-2011, 09:36 AM

Still using the Moby for a 2.5 y/o?

Angela
#21 of 28 Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 AM

Ah, we outgrew our Moby early... earlier than I would have liked.  I think I moved him to a woven wrap around 3 months.  (He was almost 20 lbs at that point.  He was outlandishly huge as an infant.) 

My woven wraps (all homemade) were my favorite carriers by far... so comfy and I felt like they actually looked cute on me.  But I couldn't get the hang of getting my gigantic kid onto my back in the wrap by myself. 

I've been happy with the Ergo, though agree that being able to take it off and hand it to someone else (as with a Beco) sounds really appealing.  Honestly, my biggest complaint about the Ergo is that I think it's extremely unflattering on me.  Straps make me look squishy.  :P  We have gotten a TON of use out of the Ergo though, I find it really easy for a back carry or a front carry, and my husband'll actually use it, unlike my wraps.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#22 of 28 Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

Oh no!  Nonono...  The homemade Mei Tei, mostly.  I did do a back carry with the Moby for a couple months after she was 1, but it was too awkward.  Sorry, I needed coffee before I answered.

#23 of 28 Old 09-01-2011, 09:52 AM

Ohhhh.  Now we're on the same page.  I just couldn't get my head wrapped around an older kid in a Moby since they sag so much.  Man, they're so perfect for infants, though.  (A little brag - I got my Moby at a thrift store for $2.50 because the women selling there had no idea what it was!)

Yeah, I was using my Mei Tei for back carries for my daughter until shortly before my son came (she would have been 3-3.5 y/o).  The MT is just so awesome!

Angela
#24 of 28 Old 09-01-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:

I have numerous friends who used mobys with their kids well into the 35-40 pound range. Back carries, side carries, front carries...  So long as they don't stretch lengthwise they're fine in my experience, but that's just me.

#25 of 28 Old 09-01-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Ohhhh.  Now we're on the same page.  I just couldn't get my head wrapped around an older kid in a Moby since they sag so much.  Man, they're so perfect for infants, though.  (A little brag - I got my Moby at a thrift store for $2.50 because the women selling there had no idea what it was!)

Yeah, I was using my Mei Tei for back carries for my daughter until shortly before my son came (she would have been 3-3.5 y/o).  The MT is just so awesome!

It IS awesome!  The only gripe I have about it is since it's not an "actual" Mei Tei, the pressure on my shoulder that I've had surgery on gets to me after a while.  Thankfully DD likes to walk, so she tends to want out before I get to that point anymore.  But it's why I'm saving up for an Ergo.

#26 of 28 Old 09-01-2011, 11:14 AM

I think essentials are really determined by your lifestyle and where you live. 

For my DD, the following were essential for the first year:

car seat

cloth diapers and wipes and all of the stuff that comes with them (bag, sprayer, Weleda Diaper Care, peri bottle for wipes, good detergent, stain stuff, etc.)

moby at first and ergo later

bouncer or swing (for showers, eating and potty)

high chair

safe place for baby to sleep

boppy

clothes and shoes

pump b/c I worked part time

blender for making baby food (we already had this)

diaper changing station

The following weren't essential, but were very nice:

light weight stroller (we got a Maclaren Techno and after 3.5 years of very heavy use, it still works great and is ready for another baby)

bike trailer (DH and I shared one car until very recently, so a nice stroller and trailer were great- we didn't use this until DD was one and could support a helmet)

running stroller (b/c we like to run)

pouch sling for popping the baby in and out easily

Didn't use:

baby bathtub

baby moniter

pacis

mesh food thing

wipe warmer

pack and play

For this baby, we decided to go with a bucket car seat instead of the convertible right away.  I'll be doing preschool drop offs and will have a lot less flexibility with my time than I did with my first.  We also are now a 2 car family, so we will probably not get that much use out of our stroller.  I would recommend skipping the travel system and getting a nice, long lasting stroller.  There are several like the Techno available now for a lot less, which is really great.

Healthcare is a human right!
#27 of 28 Old 09-02-2011, 07:05 AM

I absolutely adore the Moby and did not find it to be limited to only the tiny baby phase.  I still carried my DS2 in it up until he refused to be carried any more. He was somewhere in the neighborhood of 27-28 lbs at that point and it was not a problem to carry him at all, the Moby still worked just fine.

I also have a pouch sling made of fleece that I absolutely love for cold weather, so I'm sure we'll get a ton of use of that one when the baby is born.

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

#28 of 28 Old 09-04-2011, 05:01 PM

I love my Moby.  I had to put Hubby in it every time though.  He liked the Bjorn better because he could manage the buckles himself.

We had a Boppy for everywhere, they're really handy for nursing in a parked car.  Not essential, but we had one in the bed, one on the couch and one at my Mom's just because we had been gifted with extra ones.  They're good for when baby is almost sitting up on his/her own too.

I wish I'd gotten a nursing stool.  In order for my feet to reach the floor from any chair in our house I have to sit forward some, including the glider.  Cheap solution was to duct-tape two phone books together and leave them under the edge of the couch when we weren't nursing.  Pretty much free, not very stylish, but easy to hide!

We had a mini-co-sleeper that hooked to the side of our bed.  I wish we'd gotten the bigger one sometimes, but the little one was handy for trips to the IL's.

Hubby's favorite was the tub thermometer.  He just isn't confident we aren't about to scald our baby unless Froggy says its safe.

We used a bouncy seat for the first few months, the really simple kind that I could bring with me to the bathroom etc...  so nice to ice stitches or run a sitz bath with two hands instead of juggling or waiting for someone to come around to help.

We didn't get a glider until after our son was a year old, I can see how they'd be handy right off though!  We were lucky and had an easy sleeper.

We got a pack & play but pretty much only used it as a changing station when he was really little, it's at my Mom's now as a downstairs napping spot.

We're cramped for space, so smaller and simpler was always better.  No room for swings or those exerpod thingies, wearing baby while doing things seemed to do the trick.  That or setting the bouncer at a good vantage point to whatever action was going on.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page