Placentas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 08-26-2011, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone done this/doing this?

I actually have a placenta in my freezer.  It's 3 years old, and I'm wondering if I should do something with it now?  Are there any benefits to taking capsules of an old placenta while pregnant?  lol

I'd plant it or something, but we don't intend to live in this house for long.  I just can't seem to bring myself to throw it away...  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 08-27-2011, 01:42 AM

I think it's too late to encapsulate it, but since there haven't been any studies on it, I suppose it's possible.

I did encapsulate my last one. It worked so well at reducing the PPD. I also had a massive milk supply & bled a lot less. With my first 2, I stopped leaking milk at around 6 weeks, with ds3 I leaked for 10 months. It was amazing. Kind of frustrating, but awesome knowing I had that much milk after low supply issues with ds1.

I didn't actually take them all the time, just the first few days and then whenever I was starting to feel bad again. I have some still in the freezer & I'm thinking of seeing if they help with the lack of energy from pregnancy.

Definitely going to do it again.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#3 of 26 Old 08-27-2011, 06:22 AM

I'm encapsulating again, too. It kept the *awful* PPAD away!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#4 of 26 Old 08-27-2011, 07:20 AM

I donate my placentas to train search and rescue dogs :)

#5 of 26 Old 08-27-2011, 09:41 AM

We plan on moving, but I planted mine anyway.  It's our home for now, and the place where DD was born, so makes sense to me.

#6 of 26 Old 08-27-2011, 01:47 PM

How do you encapsulate a placenta?  

I hope this doesn't offend anyone but, I didn't know until somewhat recently that anyone did this (or that it was OK to do) and my first reaction was disgust.  Oh the things our society makes us believe that we are too "civilized" for :).  Anyway, it sounds like it's good for PPD which I'm a good candidate for. 

So how does it work?  What are the benefits?  Does it take a strong stomach (I don't have one)?

Also, why plant it?

thanks for entertaining my naivety :) 

#7 of 26 Old 08-27-2011, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

If it's any consolation, I had the same initial reaction but now I'm actually looking forward to baking up my placenta (or at least helping my mom, who will probably end up doing it although she doesn't know it yet, hahaha). 

Here's a website I found that explains the benefits of placenta encapsulation and consumption post-partum, and also has instructions on how to encapsulate the placenta if you have a dehydrator: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1577334/Placenta_Encapsulation_Instructions_w_Pictures

Here's another website that provides instructions on the process followed by practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine, and does NOT require a dehydrator (just an oven at very low temperatures).  This is the one we're going to do after my baby's birth: http://www.drmomma.org/2010/08/happy-pills-placenta-encapsulation.html

It might seem a little gnarly at first, but consider that we are one of the few mammals out there (if not the only ones) who don't consume the placenta after birth (and we have the benefit of being able to consume it in pill form, unlike our mammalian relatives who don't have access to ovens, haha).  I believe that the benefits far outweigh the gross factor, and after seeing my SIL slogging through PPD three times, I'll be popping those pills every day. 

If you have some extra cash to spare, and you can't wrap your head around the idea of doing it yourself or getting a relative to help, then find a midwife or doula who will charge you to do it or who can recommend a service (normal rates are around $250).

Bon appetit!  ;)

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

#8 of 26 Old 08-27-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:

lurk.gifI ate a single piece of my 2nd DD's...raw! Blech! I couldn't stomach it again. At first the $250 bill to encapsulate this baby's seemed nuts but then I thought..."hey, that's 2-3 therapy sessions". Sounds worth it to me! I had PPD after all 3 babies. I'm going to see if I can find someone local..I bet I can! We live in a homebirth-friendly area!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#9 of 26 Old 08-27-2011, 04:18 PM

I did my own last time & I'll be doing it again. Actually thinking of doing it for other people too.

I don't steam mine, I think it reduces the benefits from it, personally. I just rinse mine (& since I'm encapsulating, I'm not super picky about making sure the water is clear), use a pair of kitchen shears to cut it into small chunks, put it in the food dehydrator overnight & then grind it into power & put it in the capsules.

It's a bit gross cutting it up and it smells kind of funny while dehydrating, but it's not that bad. I get grossed out pretty easily & it wasn't that bad. And I got to check out the true knot in ds3's cord.

I kept what was left, since it's really impossible to get it all off the membranes, & froze it. One day we'll plant it & ds2's placenta (couldn't use his for encapsulation since it fell in the toilet...ick!)

As I said above, the benefits to me were an increased milk supply, less bleeding & far less PPD. It made such a difference that dh could tell when I'd taken some within a couple hours.

Most people who plant theirs plant a tree over it.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#10 of 26 Old 08-27-2011, 06:41 PM

I paid someone to do mine as I might be the laziest woman alive. It was well worth the $250 to have it done and brought to me all ready to go. I'd love to find someone that is just starting a business, but it's still a very weird concept around here.

Angela
#11 of 26 Old 08-29-2011, 10:12 AM

I am encapsulating mine. My mw's assistant/friend of mine does it and will be doing it for us :) I hadn't done it with my last (or first for that matter) but looking forward to it this time. I do get serious PPD and looking forward to a healthy, depression free babymoon. 

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#12 of 26 Old 08-29-2011, 10:29 AM

My first pregnancy, I was very much a "You're doing WHAT?  Ew!  No!"-type, in regards to ingesting placentas.  Then I went through PPD.  This time around, I'm looking into it, as long as I can get someone to do it for me (don't have a dehydrator and don't think I could stomach it).  I'll do just about anything to not randomly cry for 2 hours every night, when the sun goes down again, like last time.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#13 of 26 Old 09-01-2011, 07:53 PM

My PPD with dd2 lasted for her whole first year of life, it was one of the most difficult times of my life and I do not want a repeat this time.  I am SO excited about eating my placenta (lol, it's so funny to say that!).  I will either dehydrate or just cut it into small chunks, freeze on a cookie tray, then have a bunch of frozen pill size pieces that I can just swallow.  I really want to start right away, so I am thinking of doing a smoothie with a hunk of placenta right after the birth.  I am planning to hire a friend of mine as an informal post partum doula and placenta pill maker.  I have had a really rough time post partum with my two previous births and hope that things will be a bit better this time around.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#14 of 26 Old 09-02-2011, 07:00 AM

I just can't handle the idea of eating it. Not for me. I did want to take DS2's placenta home and bury it but DH was so disgusted by the idea that I just let it get thrown away. (He can't handle blood so telling him I wanted to put a big bloody placenta in the freezer was just too much for him.)  I may bring this baby's placenta home to bury near a tree, but haven't decided yet.

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

#15 of 26 Old 09-02-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanSprout Mama View Post

I just can't handle the idea of eating it.

I imagine that's the common thought of society.  And then (at least for me) having PPD so bad I wanted to either off myself or my child altered my thinking.  And it worked.  Not one shred of PPD with my second born - the one I had my placenta encapsulated.  I'm a convert because the thought of feeling that bad again is too much to handle.

Angela
#16 of 26 Old 09-02-2011, 11:03 AM

For those that have done this before... how long can you keep the placenta in your fridge (or freezer) before doing this? I don't know if my husband will be up for it or if I can find a brave friend... and this is just a guess but I'm thinking I'll be lazing around in bed with babe after the birth for a while ;)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#17 of 26 Old 09-02-2011, 12:58 PM

The woman that did mine told me to consider it a meat that you would get from the grocery store.  It must be refrigerated soon and processed within a few days

Angela
#18 of 26 Old 09-02-2011, 09:33 PM

yeahthat.gif

I dried mine when ds3 was 2 days old (it was in the fridge until then). After it's dried, you have more time to get it ground up & encapsulated. For the best longevity, you should keep the capsules in the fridge or freezer. My leftovers from ds3 are in the deep freeze.

#19 of 26 Old 09-04-2011, 12:04 PM

On a lighter note, I just heard of a man in Bellingham, WA who will make confectionery candies out of your placenta! ROTFLMAO.gif

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#20 of 26 Old 09-06-2011, 03:44 AM

I talked with my partner about this this past weekend and he said he'll help me dehydrate and encapsulate it!!  I have the best boyfriend... :)

#21 of 26 Old 09-14-2011, 02:20 PM

I *tried* to do this last time, but it smelled *really* bad in the oven and I think I overcooked it. I still saved it, and I have a ziplock of dried placenta pieces in the freezer from 5 1/2 years ago! Luckily for me I didn't have PPD, though I did feel a bit sad sometimes after our x-country family guests left and I wasn't going to have visitors for a while - we ended up moving back home with a 4 mo old and I was too busy to be depressed! That is definitely a time I would have liked to have placental support, though!

I'm thinking about paying someone to encapsulate it for me this time. I could just steam it and dehydrate it myself, but I'm nervous that I'll screw it up again.

I've heard of people chopping the raw placenta into little bits and throwing a few in a smoothie, it is supposed to cover the smell. OTOH, I remember something about chinese medicine saying it is better to cook it (steam, maybe?) before eating or dehydrating it.

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#22 of 26 Old 09-14-2011, 02:27 PM

My midwifery has people that will encapsulate for under $100!  I'm so excited!

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#23 of 26 Old 01-08-2012, 08:38 AM

i'm returning to this thread to get ready to do-it-myself, and i'm wondering, for those of you who have done it before, how do you fill them?  devaskyla, you've mentioned scooping up the powder with one side of the capsule.  i'm wondering if there's any little gadget that helps you fill them, like a mini funnel or something, or if there's some other trick that just isn't occurring to me.

thanks. :)

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#24 of 26 Old 01-08-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoreMom View Post

i'm returning to this thread to get ready to do-it-myself, and i'm wondering, for those of you who have done it before, how do you fill them?  devaskyla, you've mentioned scooping up the powder with one side of the capsule.  i'm wondering if there's any little gadget that helps you fill them, like a mini funnel or something, or if there's some other trick that just isn't occurring to me.

thanks. :)

If you have a compounding pharmacy nearby I bet you could call them and ask what the most efficient way is to fill capsules or if they have a gadget you can buy to help do it.  Just a thought.

#25 of 26 Old 01-08-2012, 02:08 PM

that's a funny suggestion to me, because my dad is actually a pharmacist who does a lot of compounding, himself.  but i could never ask him, cause, well... he really wouldn't understand the whole placenta thing, iykwim.  i'm thinking of rolling a little piece of paper into a funnel and spooning it in with one of the tiny measuring spoons i have.

a good idea with the pharmacy, though!

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#26 of 26 Old 01-08-2012, 03:45 PM

There's several devices on the market to fill capsules. I found this one with a quick google search http://www.ahealthya.com/capsule_machine.htm You can probably find something at a health food store.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page