Pelvic pain already?! Anyone else? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 09-02-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, hi, I'm technically apart of this DDC although I never post. But since your'e all as far along as I am, I was wondering if you could answer.

I can understand backpain by now, but pelvic pain? Our babies are only about 10 inches long right now, so why would anyone experience pelvic pain? When I walk, my pelvic bones hurt so badly and I have to take sitting breaks all day. This is common in the last trimester, but at 21 weeks it makes absolutely no sense to me. It just seems bizzare...It's my 3rd pregnancy and I do not remember experiencing this the last 2 times!

TIA!

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#2 of 34 Old 09-02-2011, 09:01 PM

It's from the relaxin. And things are already a bit looser from having done it before.

Get ahold of this book http://www.amazon.com/Relieving-Pelvic-During-After-Pregnancy/dp/0897934806/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315022437&sr=8-1 and check out http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm

imakecutebabies likes this.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#3 of 34 Old 09-03-2011, 12:54 AM

its perfectly normal im 22 weeks pregnant and i got back pain pelvic pain swelling in my feet and everything this is baby number to and it is way different then with number 1

#4 of 34 Old 09-03-2011, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Relaxin- interesting. I didn't realize it could cause pelvic pain so gosh darn soon into the pregnancy. So you think that because this is my 3rd that might make it earlier on like this? I have to say I really miss taking maximum doses of ibprophen right about now! I wonder if going back to my chiropractor to have her adjust them would help the pain. So new to this...21 weeks! Was NOT expecting this yet. How can I go 4 months more with this? I have to take breaks to sit constantly and I'm walking bull-legged, like, way beyond pregnancy waddle. It's completely ridiculous!

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#5 of 34 Old 09-03-2011, 10:39 AM

Yes, chiro will help.  Also try and keep your legs together as much as possible - when getting in and out of the car, sitting, etc. 

This is my 4th and I have had some SPD pain since 17 weeks.

#6 of 34 Old 09-03-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

It's from the relaxin. And things are already a bit looser from having done it before.

Get ahold of this book http://www.amazon.com/Relieving-Pelvic-During-After-Pregnancy/dp/0897934806/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315022437&sr=8-1 and check out http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm

Looks like a good book- thanks for the recommendation

#7 of 34 Old 09-04-2011, 10:28 AM

I am 19 weeks this week, and I have had horrible, awful pelvic pain for about three weeks. Its ridiculous.  Especially bad at night.  I go to get out of bed or change sleeping positions and its excrutiating!  I have been thinking about trying out the chiropractor.

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#8 of 34 Old 09-04-2011, 11:46 AM

Get a maternity belt. I have the prenatal cradle -- its a little bit ridiculous to put on at first, but my doctor recommended it. My pelvic pain started very early this time too. I seem to waddle a lot when I walk :( and I have very uncomfortable pain in the front pelvic bones as well as deep in my butt on the ride side. I actually thought the pain was sciatic nerve pain last pregnancy... but it's all pelvic pain. It's apparently not harmful to you or the baby though and will most likely go away after delivery. 

#9 of 34 Old 10-07-2011, 06:59 PM

I'm not sure that there is a "cure" for it other than giving birth and getting the relaxin out of your system. I have visited both a pt and a chiropractor and I felt like a got a lot more relief from the chiropractor than the pt. Not only that, I felt like my chiropractor was really caring and knew how to help me get relief. He wrote a great blog about back pain as well if you want to check it out.

http://backpainandpregnancy.blogspot.com/2008/09/understanding-pelvic-pain-in-pregnancy.html

Celticqueen and Winniepam like this.
#10 of 34 Old 10-08-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Wanted to share my success with my chiro! She is AMAZING. I go once every 2 weeks and as I get closer to birth, I'll be going every other day. My tilted, crooked pelvis is finally aligned properly and my back issues are nearly gone. The pain starts to come back when it's time for my adjustment but it quickly goes away immediately.

Highly recommend chiropractic care for pelvic pain. My favorite adjustment is the hip adjustment- she pulls my legs away from my body and they pop like 20 times. Might sound gross to some of you, but it feels AMAZING. Like a huge burden has been lifted from my hips. Love it!!

I also have noticed that taking long naps has been helping me. Even if I don't actually fall asleep. Just laying down with a giant body pillow between my legs seems to recharge me, so to speak.

With 2 rambunctious boys running around, it's important to regain my strength. I've had to resort to messy houses some days, but it's worth it. I feel like I've finally gotten this under control, although still a bit bothersome. 

The belt helped too...I got one a few weeks ago. I don't wear it every day though because you want to train the muscles to get strong on their own, but I wear it one to two times a week. 

The only thing that I've found to be extremely hard is squatting. I'm "this close" to just stop picking anything up off the floor and making everyone else in the house do it, including sweeping. I can't seem to bend down or squat without my pelvis feeling like it will break

Winniepam likes this.

#11 of 34 Old 10-10-2011, 05:54 PM

I decided I'm going to go back to my chiropractor. I have been having pelvic pain the past couple of weeks. I'm starting to waddle a bit and I feel like one of my legs/hips is wonky. It hurts to squat or squeeze muscles down there (say when I get up from laying down). Ouch! You're not alone! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#12 of 34 Old 10-10-2011, 07:25 PM

Does anyone else have pelvic pain that is straight down the middle?  I had this type of pain immediately AFTER I delivered DS...and I was sure I was broken in half (something else no one warned me about).  I just don't remember this type of pain during the pregnancy.  Yesterday it was BAD.  My hips are really achy but that's normal for me during pregnancy, especially having to sleep on my side all the time.  I go to the chiro every 2 weeks and I go tomorrow (YAY!!).  I'm thinking I'll start going weekly now.

#13 of 34 Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 PM

My pelvic pain is usually straight down the middle.  I have also noticed on the days where it is really bad, my sciatica starts acting up as well.  Not looking forward to another three months of this!!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#14 of 34 Old 10-10-2011, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilichiki View Post

My pelvic pain is usually straight down the middle.  I have also noticed on the days where it is really bad, my sciatica starts acting up as well.  Not looking forward to another three months of this!!

I was just asking myself this yesterday. "How do I possibly have 3 more months of this?" Glad I'm not alone!

chilichiki likes this.

#15 of 34 Old 10-11-2011, 12:53 PM

I went to the chiro today and she adjusted my pubic symphysis which is causing the pain straight down the middle.  We are going to do it weekly until it's under control.  She told me that if we don't try to get it lined up now, it may cause pain for the rest of the pregnancy.   Ahhhh, I feel great now!

#16 of 34 Old 10-11-2011, 08:51 PM

I wish i could do that, but my insurance does not cover the chiro and there is absolutely no way I can afford the $40 to go and see him regularly!!

#17 of 34 Old 10-12-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilichiki View Post

I wish i could do that, but my insurance does not cover the chiro and there is absolutely no way I can afford the $40 to go and see him regularly!!

Yeah, I would be in the same boat! My husband actually hates his job, but I constantly have to remind him to NOT quit. If he did, we wouldn't have such amazing health insurance with his company. Our insurance literally covers 100% of all in network providers and unlimited chiropractic care. I figure I'll take advantage of it now, because when the day comes that he doesn't have that insurance anymore, no chiropractor!

I wish it wasn't so expensive...

chilichiki likes this.

#18 of 34 Old 10-13-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Got an adjustment today. Wanted to recommend a specific adjustment for anyone considering chiro. care. Have the chiro pull each leg out. It pops and it sounds gross but it feels AMAZING in pregnancy. Because of relaxin, the hips really move around a lot and so it's nice to get everything "popped back into place"

I really just need my own personal chiropractor to live with us...I could go for this every day

#19 of 34 Old 10-13-2011, 04:27 PM

I love going to the chiro - don't love the feeling of getting adjusted, but LOVE feeling all loosey-goosey after it's done! *grin*

I'm having deep in my butt pain. I thought it was sciatica, but it's not radiating at all, just these really sharp pinches deep inside both cheeks. I"m also having weird pinchy things in my feet, usually on the sides, and usually when I bend over. The chiro helps keep both of those (and the heartburn!! hallelujah!!!) at bay, but if there's something I can do that will help too, I'm so open to it. It's just agonizing to stand and walk with that bum pain going on.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#20 of 34 Old 10-13-2011, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremamaheather View Post

I love going to the chiro - don't love the feeling of getting adjusted, but LOVE feeling all loosey-goosey after it's done! *grin*

I'm having deep in my butt pain. I thought it was sciatica, but it's not radiating at all, just these really sharp pinches deep inside both cheeks. I"m also having weird pinchy things in my feet, usually on the sides, and usually when I bend over. The chiro helps keep both of those (and the heartburn!! hallelujah!!!) at bay, but if there's something I can do that will help too, I'm so open to it. It's just agonizing to stand and walk with that bum pain going on.

Sciatica? I'm going to research that. But the pain you're describing deep in your butt muscles is something I get while sleeping in the last few weeks of pregnancy. What the heck is it? Same sensation you describe too- pinching feeling. Most common if I'm not moving for awhile (sleeping). Really bizarre...

#21 of 34 Old 10-13-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
 I"m also having weird pinchy things in my feet, usually on the sides, and usually when I bend over. The chiro helps keep both of those (and the heartburn!! hallelujah!!!) at bay, but if there's something I can do that will help too, I'm so open to it. It's just agonizing to stand and walk with that bum pain going on.

Do you think it might be plantar faciatiis?  I get it pretty bad during pregnancy and have found the best prevention is walking around barefoot so my feet must take a beating and the best intervention is rolling a frozen water bottle under the arch.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#22 of 34 Old 10-13-2011, 06:27 PM

I actually got this book out from the library a few months ago and just got around to reading it because it's due soon and I've already renewed it too many times (DOH). I think it sounds good, but the first exercise she has you do is lying flat on your back (knees bent with feet flat on the floor, spread knees apart and put feet together), she says to do it for 20 minutes! That makes me nervous - is that really a good idea for this far along in pregnancy?! I want to try it, but it makes me nervous!

Celticqueen - the treatment you described from your chiropractor sounds a bit like this exercise (aside from the popping). Maybe I'll ask my chiro about this.

I definitely want to tell my chiro what the book said about PSD (that it is caused by a sacro-iliac - lower back - imbalance and often doesn't need to be treated directly). There was one time I went to see her and she used a LOT of pressure on my lower back for a while and it HURT but I felt a lot better afterwards.

Winniepam likes this.

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#23 of 34 Old 10-13-2011, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the info! The description doesn't sound like what I experience - the pain is usually on the side of my heel (almost at the point where the side bends over to be the bottom of my foot, if that makes sense), I've never felt it on the bottom of my foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

Do you think it might be plantar faciatiis?  I get it pretty bad during pregnancy and have found the best prevention is walking around barefoot so my feet must take a beating and the best intervention is rolling a frozen water bottle under the arch. 

We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#24 of 34 Old 10-14-2011, 07:07 AM

Oh man, getting it while sleeping sounds awful! So far, when my body is just exhausted, I can snuggle into my pile of pillows and count on some relief from aches and pains. I hope that continues to be true! Did anything provide relief from that pain for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticqueen View Post

Sciatica? I'm going to research that. But the pain you're describing deep in your butt muscles is something I get while sleeping in the last few weeks of pregnancy. What the heck is it? Same sensation you describe too- pinching feeling. Most common if I'm not moving for awhile (sleeping). Really bizarre...

#25 of 34 Old 10-14-2011, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh man, getting it while sleeping sounds awful! So far, when my body is just exhausted, I can snuggle into my pile of pillows and count on some relief from aches and pains. I hope that continues to be true! Did anything provide relief from that pain for you? 

Nope :( Hoping I can research what can relieve it. Switching positions would help for an hour, then I'd have to switch again. So much for resting up before baby comes, eh? Ugh!

The pillow thing you mentioned though...I wonder if I need more pillows? I actually haven't tried that

#26 of 34 Old 10-18-2011, 12:43 PM

I finally slept in the recliner... and in the morning my hips/pelvis felt so good! Something else happened that I remember from last time - it felt like the baby was higher up in my uterus in the morning and I didn't have to get up so many times to pee! On the other hand, my upper back hurt a little from being more upright than usual, and I need to find our head support pillow, since my neck kept going to one side or the other.

Anyways, this could potentially help someone if you have a recliner and are interested in trying! I don't think I want to so it all of the time until I have to, but it did give me some relief after a weekend away from home and being unable to find a comfortable position after being in bed for about 5 hours (even with all kinds of body pillows).

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#27 of 34 Old 10-18-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'lee View Post

I finally slept in the recliner... and in the morning my hips/pelvis felt so good! Something else happened that I remember from last time - it felt like the baby was higher up in my uterus in the morning and I didn't have to get up so many times to pee! On the other hand, my upper back hurt a little from being more upright than usual, and I need to find our head support pillow, since my neck kept going to one side or the other.

Anyways, this could potentially help someone if you have a recliner and are interested in trying! I don't think I want to so it all of the time until I have to, but it did give me some relief after a weekend away from home and being unable to find a comfortable position after being in bed for about 5 hours (even with all kinds of body pillows).

Good to know. I have a recliner, but rarely use it...I'll probably give it a go if it takes me a long time to get to sleep again. I sleep with lots of pillows too (just started a few nights ago) and so far it isn't helping much. Time for another chiro adjustment probably. Although I think I'm becoming addicted lol.gif

#28 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 10:14 AM

Oh woe is me and my hips and pelvis. It like they knew my third trimester has started, to which they said, you shall now hurt. I keep waking up with an intense cramp in whichever side is up when I am sleeping. I'm dreaming of sleeping in recliners. Fortunately I don't have one lest I end up with a posterior babe. Oh woe is me. redface.gif

Ok, maybe I am being a little dramatic.

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#29 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writinglove View Post

I'm dreaming of sleeping in recliners. Fortunately I don't have one lest I end up with a posterior babe.

I was given (as requested) a recliner as a "push present" following my son's birth.  Best. Gift. Ever. !!  I don't lean back now as I have no desire for a posterior babe, but they are awesome in those first months when you literally just sit and nurse all live long day.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#30 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

they are awesome in those first months when you literally just sit and nurse all live long day. 

That's why I bought mine. They are so comfortable for nursing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page