September Chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 122 Old 09-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by writinglove View Post

Do you all just stop using any softeners with your own laundry while you are cloth diapering?

We don't use any fabric softeners.  Just wool balls to throw the clothes around.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#62 of 122 Old 09-21-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

We don't use any fabric softeners.  Just wool balls to throw the clothes around.

we don't either.  and we usually forget or lose the balls between the loads of clothes.  very rarely, i'll use ecover, if there's something that is begging for it (or, say, if we have house guests that we want to impress with soft towels or something), but in general, i don't like my laundry smelling.

with dipes, i always use vinegar to soften them up.

i find that since giving up the softener a few years ago, i don't miss it at all, except when we hang our stuff out on the line.  if there's no breeze, the stuff can get kind of crunchy.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#63 of 122 Old 09-21-2011, 03:52 PM

Regarding the newborn phase, for myself the concession I have made is to have a pack of eco-friendly disposables on hand too.  Granted, I am sure the moms will be around plenty to help with laundry and such... any little thing that can be done to make life a little less stressful in this transition into mom-hood, I am sure my future self will thank me for thinking of now!

Why is cloth diapering so mind boggling to dive into?? I am planning to buy some fitteds as well as prefolds, hoping that the fitteds can be used whenever baby is having "explosive" issues.  Are these uncontainable poops more often in the newborn phase, or longer than that? Also, has anyone seen any gender neutral covers that are more exciting than just white?  How many newborn size covers did you all buy?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#64 of 122 Old 09-21-2011, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I agree on the disposable diaper front... There's no way I'm going to be able to go full hog on the cloth diapers.  I'm also considering splurging on a couple of AIOs if people chip in and contribute to our diapering fund.

element2012 - I'm in love with all the covers on this site: http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/covers.htm  Hope you like 'em!

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#65 of 122 Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post
Are these uncontainable poops more often in the newborn phase, or longer than that? Also, has anyone seen any gender neutral covers that are more exciting than just white?  How many newborn size covers did you all buy?

Blow-outs.  I've *never* had one happen in cloth.  EVER.  I think it's a disposable issue because the diaper can't absorb that much that fast.  And when my daughter was in disposables we had plenty of 'em!

White covers.  I use proraps and they're all white.  My theory is this: it just holds in poo, no need to be pretty.

NB covers.  I borrowed a few from a friend and had a few of my own.  I'd say there were about 6-8 and they literally lasted 1-2 weeks.  My son was 8.12 so not huge and the NB stuff was just too small for him.  If you think your kid will be smaller than you might need more.  The good thing about PUL is that you can reuse wet covers until they get poo on them...the same can't be said for fleece as it holds in the urine smell until washed.  Wool is a bit better, but I still smell the urine.

Don't forget that CDing doesn't have to be all or nothing.  It's seriously ok to use a disposable whenever you want.  We use them at night because I want 12 uninterrupted hours.  My theory is that each cloth dipe I use is one less in a landfill...and I'm good with that.

Angela
#66 of 122 Old 09-21-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

element2012 - I'm in love with all the covers on this site: http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/covers.htm  Hope you like 'em!

Funny you mention Green Mountain, because as soon as I posted earlier I spent a good hour looking over their covers and prefolds.  I A-D-O-R-E quite a few of those covers.

AfricanQueen, thanks for sharing your diaper blowout knowledge!  I think I will just start with a bunch of prefolds then...

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#67 of 122 Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 AM

Aren't they the coolest???  I'm totally sold on that company... I only wish their website was easier to use because I tried adding stuff to MyRegistry and it was a nightmare.  I ended up setting up a group gift card for a diapering fund instead.  Happy shopping!

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#68 of 122 Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 AM

We have had two diaper blowouts in cloth that I can recall... 2 in 2 years is really not bad.  One of them was because the cover wasn't on right (babysitters) and the other one was just a really, really, really massive breastmilk poo.  No diaper could have contained that.  :P

Green Mountain Diapers:  I love love love their pictures of different babies actually wearing the different diapers.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#69 of 122 Old 09-22-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilichiki View Post

Doctor made a side comment today about thinking about tying my tubes after this pregnancy which upset me probably more than it should and I snapped at him. Think I scared him!

I would go CRAZY on my doctor if this came out of her mouth.  Nuts.  I was annoyed enough at my hospital based midwives for the non-stop birth control talk at the end of my pregnancy/post birth checkups.  Every. Single. Visit. Seriously?

#70 of 122 Old 09-22-2011, 03:58 PM

I just bought a huge bag of newborn clothes -- probably close to 100 pieces -- for 25 bucks. I was really proud of myself until I looked through all of it and realized how SMALL the newborn size is. Wah wah!!2whistle.gif I wonder how long my babe will fit into these teeny tiny pieces (DH is 6'4"). I'll pass on the love and sell them cheap to the next person.

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#71 of 122 Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writinglove View Post

I just bought a huge bag of newborn clothes -- probably close to 100 pieces -- for 25 bucks. I was really proud of myself until I looked through all of it and realized how SMALL the newborn size is. Wah wah!!2whistle.gif I wonder how long my babe will fit into these teeny tiny pieces (DH is 6'4"). I'll pass on the love and sell them cheap to the next person.

You might be really surprised...I remember looking at the newborn clothes and thinking that no baby could possibly be this small.  The clothes I took to the hospital ended up being huge on my 7lb 7 z DS and our first outing with the baby was to go buy more of the cheap gerber onsies because they were the only things small enough to fit him!  Even if they don't wear them for long, it is helpful to have a lot....seemed like we were changing clothes every 2 hours!  :)

writinglove likes this.
#72 of 122 Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 AM

Heh... exactly what juneboymum said. Even if it's a bit of overkill, 100 pieces for $25 is still wonderful-- your baby might never wear some of it, but you'll have enough to choose from that you won't have to be doing laundry every 12 hours.

My son was a "big" newborn at 9 lbs even, and you can see in this picture that he was pretty much floating in the 0-3 onesie we took him home in:

3969735983_b45d91d2db_m.jpg

#73 of 122 Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 AM

Thanks, women! I appreciate the support. And I hadn't thought about the "you'll do less laundry" angle. thumb.gif

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#74 of 122 Old 09-27-2011, 01:36 PM

And so it begins...

I was up last night for a good hour with two of the worst charley horse cramps known to man. That part of pregnancy suuuucks!

Angela
#75 of 122 Old 09-27-2011, 01:42 PM

Oh no!!  That does NOT sound like fun... I've had a couple of leg cramps but nothing that awful-sounding... Ugh, I hope they leave you alone!!

#76 of 122 Old 09-27-2011, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

oh no!  leg cramps are the worst!!!  i'm sure you're drinking enough and getting enough calcium, right?  i was surprised to learn this go-around that carbonated drinks draw calcium from your body, so i stopped drinking seltzer water (which was my official beverage of the first trimester).

i always hate it in the midst of a wake-you-up cramp, when i can never remember whether you're supposed to flex or point your foot.  both of them hurt.  i'm half-awake, in terrible pain, and i can't remember how to make it stop.  gah.

i'm so sorry.  you don't need that!

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#77 of 122 Old 09-27-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:

And so it begins...

I was up last night for a good hour with two of the worst charley horse cramps known to man. That part of pregnancy suuuucks!

Ugh. I had a terrible one the night before last in my left calf.

#78 of 122 Old 09-27-2011, 02:45 PM

That's it, HCM, they wake you up and you're not sure if you're up or dreaming and the pain won't go away and all positions hurt. Ugh!

I'm still drinking soda. :anonymous: I just tell myself it's better than crack so I don't feel guilty about it!

Angela
#79 of 122 Old 09-27-2011, 05:17 PM

Don't forget magnesium & potassium, too. Especially if you're drinking soda, it leaches all of them from your body.

Quote:

And so it begins...

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#80 of 122 Old 09-27-2011, 07:29 PM

is anyone else experiencing the random limbs flung up into their ribs?

My god, my little one has been stuck in my rib for 12+ hours today and it is such an awful feeling!!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#81 of 122 Old 09-27-2011, 09:09 PM

I haven't been on this group in ages. nice to see a chat going :)

I've been super busy with Homeschooling my 5yo, running a WAH business and just the normal everyday stuff. Also sewing baby things, diapers etc and knitting bean's woolie stash. 

I have been eating a little too much Chipotle though and need to force myself to stay away, but it's so good... lol. 

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#82 of 122 Old 09-28-2011, 06:56 AM

Today is my 2 year old's birthday.  He's such a big kid now... as ambivalent as I have sometimes felt about this pregnancy, I look at him and I know it's going to be all right, because if his brother is half as great as he is, he's going to be pretty wonderful.

I have a repeat ultrasound today.  Nothing big-- my doctor just didn't get a clear visualization of his heart (what she saw looked good, but he kept moving so she kept getting just a sideways view of it or something) and also, he didn't have an inflated stomach bubble which can sometimes indicate a problem.  I haven't been stressing about it at all, but now that it's the day of, now I kind of am.  My in-laws are coming with us to the scan (they're in town for my older son's birthday) and I really don't want to receive bad news in front of them.  Urgle.

#83 of 122 Old 09-28-2011, 06:56 AM

(Oops, double post!)

#84 of 122 Old 09-28-2011, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

happy birthday to your little guy, coldandsleepy!  i hope you have a great day with your ILs.  i think two is a really fun age, and it's sweet hearing how your love for your son encourages you with thoughts of your new little guy.

good luck with the ultrasound, too.  i also have to have a repeat ultrasound on friday, cause we couldn't get a bunch of images the first time around, and i agree that while it's simple to put it out of mind when the appointment is far off, the closer i get, the more nervous i feel.  fingers crossed that everything is ok with your babe!

#85 of 122 Old 09-28-2011, 08:26 AM

Happy birthday, little coldandsleepy!

Thank you for mentioning your occasional ambivalence. I'm still there and I can't seem to snap out of it. I'm guessing that's more common with subsequent pregnancies (as opposed to the first timers), but it also helps to imagine how my awesome kids will take in another to our little clan. I still feel *very* guilty about stealing the baby-dom away from my youngest.

Angela
#86 of 122 Old 09-28-2011, 09:38 AM

chilichiki,  I'm having the random rib thing but not for that long.  Just pokes and kicks to the lowest ones for a few moments.  I never had that with my son.... and for some reason I was feeling it was too early for the little one to be reaching up that far, but so it is!  I feel like I am carrying much higher than with my son.  It definitely is a weird thing!

#87 of 122 Old 09-28-2011, 09:56 AM

Holy crud!  November DDC has two births already!  bigeyes.gif  I'm not ready...need more time.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#88 of 122 Old 09-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldandsleepy View Post

Today is my 2 year old's birthday.  He's such a big kid now... as ambivalent as I have sometimes felt about this pregnancy, I look at him and I know it's going to be all right, because if his brother is half as great as he is, he's going to be pretty wonderful.

Quote:

Happy birthday, little coldandsleepy!

Thank you for mentioning your occasional ambivalence. I'm still there and I can't seem to snap out of it. I'm guessing that's more common with subsequent pregnancies (as opposed to the first timers), but it also helps to imagine how my awesome kids will take in another to our little clan. I still feel *very* guilty about stealing the baby-dom away from my youngest.

I'm having some of this too.  When people look right at my belly and ask how we're doing I automatically answer with news about Rocket, they have to prod to get pregnancy info out of me, I just don't think of it.  When I have those forehead smacking 'Oh, yeah, AND I'm pregnant" moments I feel like a huge jerk.  We're really excited about this baby, just so busy with a toddler that it isn't at the front of my brain I guess.  With the first one we were obsessed with the belly.  We're still obsessed with him.  I know when the new one is out he'll be just as enchanting, but for now "out of sight, out of mind" I guess.  I'm a little less ambivalent now that he's moving around more!

#89 of 122 Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchobhar View Post

Holy crud!  November DDC has two births already!  bigeyes.gif  I'm not ready...need more time.

YIKES!  nut.gif  I can't even imagine.  We're looking at moving in November, maybe as late as early December.  If our Jan 8th Bean comes that early my brain will explode!

#90 of 122 Old 09-28-2011, 11:45 AM

Not yet, but this baby is still pretty low (all of her many kicks and movements are just above my pelvis or even it in).

Last time around 34 weeks, though, my son was up against my ribs for several days. The first night I survived but did not sleep. The next day I was throwing up every few hours from the pain. Luckily, he decided to move somewhere less unpleasant after a few days, but not before I had been to the hospital (it was a Sunday) and then my doctor's office (the next day), but they couldn't really help. I was given some paracetamol for the pain, but I threw it up. greensad.gif

Wow, that sounded kind of depressing, but the pregnancy was otherwise just fine. I have never heard of a similar experience from anyone else, so maybe I just have a low pain threshold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilichiki View Post

is anyone else experiencing the random limbs flung up into their ribs?

My god, my little one has been stuck in my rib for 12+ hours today and it is such an awful feeling!!

Mama to our little boy (3) babyf.gif , the amazing super squirmer, almost born in the taxi...

and our new baby girl stork-girl.gif, caught by her daddy in our bathtub!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page