September Chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 122 Old 09-12-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey Everyone!

I missed the chat thread last month, so I figured I'd start one up for September.

What are you up to these days?  How are you feeling?  I'm eager to hear how everyone is doing!

I've been busy getting a new homeschool year fired up.  The weeks are going by pretty quickly, and I'm spending weekends on home improvement and organizing projects.  Oh, I have so much to do before January!  I'm sure i'm not alone in that.

Baby and I are doing well, I suppose.  No complaints.  Being pregnant with a girl really DOES feel different than with boys.

Your turn!  What's up with you?

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#2 of 122 Old 09-12-2011, 02:52 PM

Well, I started a new job a couple weeks ago. It's not the best..but it's a job. I started school today for the first time since Summer of 2009. Nothing like a baby to light a fire under my butt! I had a midwife appointment today and I truly love midwives, they are very supportive and understanding it seems, the baby and I are growing perfectly. Her heartbeat is outstanding, all my lab tests come back great. I guess I can't ask for better in that department. (: I'm 23 weeks this week. I'm battling feelings of being sad because of her father..but I'm becoming really busy so I'm hoping that feeling of loneliness passes.That's about it on my end I think. (:

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#3 of 122 Old 09-12-2011, 03:58 PM

Doing pretty well so far in September!

Feeling much better now that I've quit following my dieticians recommendations to lower my blood sugar.

Turns out I don't have Gestational Diabetes, I am in fact Hypoglycemic, so her diet was making me dizzy.

Toddler is getting more independent and adorable every day.  He's in full on mimic stage.

I'm really going to have to start watching my potty mouth...

Now that is isn't so oppressively hot out we've been spending much more time at the park.

Thinking about joining a playgroup this week.

Getting really excited about the New Bean now that I'm feeling better!

Toddler snuggles the belly, Husband can finally feel him kick!

January feels simultaneously WAY too soon, and WAY too far away.

#4 of 122 Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:

January feels simultaneously WAY too soon, and WAY too far away.

This! 

#5 of 122 Old 09-12-2011, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

So glad you started this thread, HardCoreMom!  Thanks!!

Kaitlyn - You are just awesome and such an inspiration for all women who are doing right by their children!  Glad to hear things are going great and you are being so productive!

I had a whirlwind of activity last weekend, with my mom and her best friend in town.  My mom is amazing... I'm so glad she'll be at my home birth!  Her friend... can be a little overwhelming (she's a "me, me, me" kind of person, and I was really looking forward to a mother-daughter weekend).  I had a couple of emotional breakdowns, but luckily DH is a pro at handling my mood swings now (heaven bless him!) so he stepped in and made my life much easier.  Mom will be back (by herself) next weekend, so I'll finally get to spend quality time with her!  Now DH is attending conferences in Europe for two weeks, so I'm holding down the fort with the two pups and staying busy with consulting work and blogging.

Baby's doing well, from what I can tell, but we haven't been able to hear the hb because he/she was turned the wrong way when the midwife tried using the fetoscope, and actually gave her a shove!!  That's my child, treasures his/her privacy even before birth!  :)

Time has been flying... Four months left, and you know how fast time goes during the holidays!!  Wishing everyone lots of kicks and wiggles!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

#6 of 122 Old 09-13-2011, 05:28 AM

Awe, thanks mama! 

Glad to hear you'll be having some one on one time with your mom this weekend. (: I'm totally nervous about being a mom but despite all the worries I have, I'm totally excited to decorate for the holidays and do all the fun things like buying Christmas gifts and filling Easter baskets and having an egg hunt! Any one else excited about that? (:

#7 of 122 Old 09-13-2011, 06:11 AM

Yes!  I think holidays got a lot more exciting (though also more stressful, but) when I had my first son.  This is our first year at home for Christmas (rather than at the in-laws, who don't really decorate) since he was born and I'm really looking forward to how confused and um, hopefully delighted he'll be by things like a Christmas tree, blinky lights, etc. 

As for me, not much of note going on here... I have been having such an easy and uneventful pregnancy that I finally get why some ladies really love being pregnant.  My last pregnancy was plagued with all sorts of health problems and discomforts and even though I was so so happy to finally be pregnant, I was so physically miserable that it was hard to enjoy the whole thing.  This time I just feel so good... which I think I really needed to help me past some of my emotional doubts and ambivalences surrounding this pregnancy.

Oh, I started sewing a baby quilt for #2!  I've always wanted to try quilting but have never really had the time or a project in mind... using this as a good excuse.  I'm hand sewing it so it's going to take a while to finish and it probably won't be beautiful, but it's fun to work on.  We're not doing a nursery or anything and there's really nothing left to buy for my second son except maybe some more onesies, so it's nice to have some other baby-related project to work on.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#8 of 122 Old 09-13-2011, 06:39 AM

Not much news to report on my front. 

My family and I went on a little mini-vacation last week to have some family fun time.  It was at a local-ish resort and we spent a ton of time swimming, making s'mores and teaching the 5.5 y/o the art of twister.  Awesome time!  Now we're back in the grind of life - home repairs, mom car taxi, and just staying busy.  I signed up to be a co-leader of my daughter's Daisy troop (girl scouts) and can.not.wait. !!

The bean-o seems to be doing fine.  I still feel barely any movement, but I know the kid is just happy as a clam in there.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#9 of 122 Old 09-13-2011, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the September chat, hardcore. I missed the August chat, and thought about creating one, but inertia can be very powerful. I'm glad the summer is coming to a close; we traveled to France, Missouri, the mountains, and the seaside in just 10 weeks. It was intense. 

Now our life is settling into a nice groove. My husband in working on the basement so we can move the office down there, and the current office will soon be the nursery. I'm scouring the internet, consignment shops, and networking with friends and relatives to score the best possible deal I can get on baby gear and clothing. I made my first trip to Babies R Us the other day and walked out without purchasing anything. I can't believe all of the stuff you are "expected" to buy. My goal is to be as much of a minimalist mama as I am comfortable with. 

My mom is going to give me the wooden rocking chair that her mom used with her, and my mom used with me. The chair won't be as comfortable as the new gliders, but I am so psyched to have that piece of mama lineage in my nursery. I've also put my mom to work making wool diaper covers from old sweaters, and my mother in law is making a Winnie the Pooh quilt for the babe. She is a master quilter, and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I found a doula, who I absolutely love. She teaches interval classes for preggo ladies, and I'm excited to do some exercise tailored especially for the work of pregnancy and birthing. I get to learn all about the transverse abdominal muscles. We have also decided to birth at home instead of at a birthing center. The closest birthing center that is in my insurance network is too far from the hospital. My house is a mere 3 miles from the hospital; it just makes sense.

DH and I need to do the work of crunching numbers to see how much time we can both take off. I think we have settled on an au pair for child care, but I am still on about 7 waiting lists for day care (day care in Seattle is such a circus). We can't afford life's extras (like gas) if I don't go back to work. I remember when my mortgage didn't seem "that bad." Now that we are factoring in a kiddo, it seems so huge. 

I feel good, thanks to acupuncture and some energy work. My appetite is back and my nausea is mostly at bay. Hooray. 

Health and happiness to you all, and major props to you if you have made it this far. namaste.gif

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#10 of 122 Old 09-13-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writinglove View Post
My mom is going to give me the wooden rocking chair that her mom used with her, and my mom used with me. The chair won't be as comfortable as the new gliders, but I am so psyched to have that piece of mama lineage in my nursery.

I rock my babies in the same their father and grandfather was rocked in.  It feels good to have a connection like that to family. joy.gif

Angela
#11 of 122 Old 09-13-2011, 11:04 AM

We're all staying busy. I'm still working both at home and out. My tech crew has named the baby Beetlejuice Beetlejuice, which I find pretty hilarious. Our daughter asked to join Daisy's (girl scouts) and cheerleading this year, so we're busy with those as well as settling into first grade. 

I'm feeling okay aside from the painful pelvic & back pain. I haven't gone to yoga in a few weeks because it makes the pelvic pain worse. Otherwise, I feel very relaxed and calm... which makes me think maybe I should be nervous??  No real complaints or upheavals, surprisingly. I set up the baby's "room" (just a mini nursery area in our bedroom) like 2 months ago haha so that's all done. I'm ready to start making christmas cards so it's done with! I'd also like to finish cleaning out the garage. 

We are planning a family getaway at the end of October, right before my birthday. I haven't decided where I want to go yet... but anywhere will be an awesome help to counter the end of pregnancy anxiety about never leaving my house again without a baby attached. 

#12 of 122 Old 09-13-2011, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I LOVE the family rocking chair!  My mom had a one when my brother was a baby that I sure wish she had now :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

Baby's doing well, from what I can tell, but we haven't been able to hear the hb because he/she was turned the wrong way when the midwife tried using the fetoscope, and actually gave her a shove!!  That's my child, treasures his/her privacy even before birth!  :)

I had been wondering if you heard a heartbeat yet, mama.  I'm going to my midwife tomorrow, and DH is coming with me for the first time in the hopes of hearing the heartbeat (so no pressure, baby!).  I feel movement daily now, this baby is a night owl like his daddy!  DH was able to feel the baby moving around vaguely once, but it would be nice for him to hear the heartbeat. 

In the last two weeks my bump really came out, it's really nice to be seen by others as a pregnant lady finally.  I am now getting my mind around actually prepping my home for this baby, and deciding what, if any, childbirth classes we might take.

I hope you mamas are feeling awesome and enjoying this special time joy.gif

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#13 of 122 Old 09-13-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

I had been wondering if you heard a heartbeat yet, mama.  I'm going to my midwife tomorrow, and DH is coming with me for the first time in the hopes of hearing the heartbeat (so no pressure, baby!).  I feel movement daily now, this baby is a night owl like his daddy!  DH was able to feel the baby moving around vaguely once, but it would be nice for him to hear the heartbeat. 

Ooooooh, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and your hubby!  We're going to have to wait until the end of the month to try again to hear the hb... Hopefully you'll get lucky.  Keep us posted!

#14 of 122 Old 09-14-2011, 08:28 AM

Another post reminded me that there's 4 days left for the annual Babies R Us Trade-in Event, if anyone's interested.

I'm hoping to trade our crib.  My DD was the 5th kid in it and has literally shaken the thing apart, not to mention it's a drop-side.  It's time to retire the poor thing.  I'm not thrilled about having to buy another crib to use on one kid and then having to re-sell or give away (co-sleeping past when new baby will fit in the Arms Reach co-sleeper isn't an option, because DH is epileptic), but I did spot a cheaper crib that qualifies and with the 25% trade-in, it ends up below $100.  That's slightly easier to stomach...

Uh...wow, tangent much?  Anyway...4 days left to trade in your old baby equipment!

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#15 of 122 Old 09-14-2011, 08:51 AM

Had my group appointment for Sept. yesterday afternoon. I'm feeling MUCH better lately and baby is baking nicely. The weather has been bearable lately, so lots of walks/park time with DS. DH has been busy with Army stuff, and we don't see much of him. Thinking of going through the itty-bitty stuff we have in the cellar from DS and creating a list of any items we may need clothing/diaper-wise. Looking forward to the trip down memory lane.

#16 of 122 Old 09-14-2011, 11:25 AM

About rocking chairs:  how sweet is that to have an heirloom chair to rock your baby in?  :)  We had a glider with my older son and I really didn't care for it that much, I much preferred rocking chairs at other people's houses.

writinglove likes this.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#17 of 122 Old 09-15-2011, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

i had SUCH a great day yesterday.  the weather's about to turn very fall-ish here, but yesterday was looking to be hot and beautiful, so the boys and i packed up and headed down (a few hours) to the beach.  it was one last beach trip (ever?) just me and my guys.  i seriously don't know when i last smiled so much as i did yesterday- it was one of those magical-childhood sort of days.  we were all so happy.  and then, at the end of the day, my husband surprised us all and showed up.  it was just such a special day, and i won't forget it.  we went for a walk and all held hands, and my 6-yr old remarked- "our whole family is here!  except for the baby, but she'll be here soon."

i will always remember yesterday.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#18 of 122 Old 09-15-2011, 07:17 AM

HCM - your post made me smile! So glad you had a great beach day - yesterday was a fabulous day to spend at the beach!

I just noticed that you live in  NW CT - I grew up in CT and moved from CT to MA a year ago. I don't know if you're looking for in-person community, but if you are, there's at least one person from your general area in this thread (http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1322356/near-sharon-ct#post_16616404) She just moved to NY, just over the border from Sharon CT, and she's looking to meet some people in her area.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#19 of 122 Old 09-15-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

thanks, heather!  i'll check in with her.  i usually divide my time between northern litchfield and southern berkshire counties, so i get a share of life in MA, too!  :)

#20 of 122 Old 09-15-2011, 07:44 AM

HCM - your post made me tear up. Sounds like a perfect day. smile.gif

Angela
#21 of 122 Old 09-15-2011, 07:48 AM

My sister just moved to Litchfield - for the last year, she's been a nanny for a family that lives there, and she finally moved closer to them. Litchfield is lovely! I live much further east than the Berkshires, but have spent some time there in the summer and really enjoyed it. You have some beautiful lands surrounding you thumb.gif

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#22 of 122 Old 09-15-2011, 08:38 AM

HardCoreMom - What a lovely way to spend time with your family.  :)  It's so great that you got to enjoy a perfect and well-deserved day of relaxation.

#23 of 122 Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 AM

It's RAINING! I have never lived in an area like this until we moved to Colorado in April. I'm used to the soil composition of central Europe and the Southeast U.S. If there's a rainy day or two in row, chaos doesn't usually ensue. This is the first BIG rain we've had since we've lived here and all the ditches are overflowing and lots of houses are leaking(including ours). DS and I put on our rainboots and had our morning stroll...people were looking at us like lobsters were coming from our ears! I'm really liking the Rocky Mountain life so far, but culturally it's taken some adjusting. I also think some of the higher elevations had snow instead of rain, but I'm not 100% sure. It's nice to hear about everyone's daily going's-on...glad we all seem mostly happy and healthy :)

#24 of 122 Old 09-15-2011, 09:26 AM

mamasmoman - I live in San Diego, where it rains about three days a year.  All hell breaks loose when it does rain: cars crash, children aren't allowed to play outside (some parents keep them home from school, lest they melt or something), mountains come washing down... Truly pathetic.  You're right, it takes some getting used to.  But enjoy the rain!!

#25 of 122 Old 09-15-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasmoman View Post

It's RAINING! I have never lived in an area like this until we moved to Colorado in April. I'm used to the soil composition of central Europe and the Southeast U.S. If there's a rainy day or two in row, chaos doesn't usually ensue. This is the first BIG rain we've had since we've lived here and all the ditches are overflowing and lots of houses are leaking(including ours). DS and I put on our rainboots and had our morning stroll...people were looking at us like lobsters were coming from our ears! I'm really liking the Rocky Mountain life so far, but culturally it's taken some adjusting. I also think some of the higher elevations had snow instead of rain, but I'm not 100% sure. It's nice to hear about everyone's daily going's-on...glad we all seem mostly happy and healthy :)

Yup, Vail, etc. had snow.  I heard it even went down as far as Southern Boulder!  I was hoping!  After all this 90 degree weather we've had...I'm soooooo ready for days of weather like this!

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#26 of 122 Old 09-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

mamasmoman - I live in San Diego, where it rains about three days a year.  All hell breaks loose when it does rain: cars crash, children aren't allowed to play outside (some parents keep them home from school, lest they melt or something), mountains come washing down... Truly pathetic.  You're right, it takes some getting used to.  But enjoy the rain!!

We ARE enjoying :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchobhar View Post

Yup, Vail, etc. had snow.  I heard it even went down as far as Southern Boulder!  I was hoping!  After all this 90 degree weather we've had...I'm soooooo ready for days of weather like this!

I'm also ready for cooler temps. I think the heat was aggravating my nausea/headaches.

#27 of 122 Old 09-15-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasmoman View Post

I'm also ready for cooler temps. I think the heat was aggravating my nausea/headaches.

It was definitely making my nausea worse!  We don't have A/C at the house, so even trying to sleep was miserable.  My DH and I can cuddle again!

#28 of 122 Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 PM

We eat, sleep, and breathe rain for most of the year!  I live in western Oregon.  We get about 2 and a half months of sun... then rain for the rest of the 9 others.  It's funny because I am so glad when the rain ends and the sun comes out... for about a day.  Then I get all hot and irritated and can't wait for the rain and cool weather to come back!  I guess the climate suits me!

My little one seems to be doing great.... this is like the the baby that could!  During this pregnancy so far I've had whooping cough, a nasty cold virus, a UTI, two intestinal illnesses while traveling in Mexico, and now... a thrown out back from a simple bike ride to the library.  Yet I can feel him or her just swimming and kicking away in there, just as happy as can be! 

My last pregnancy seemed great and completely free from trouble of any sort until I miscarried.  It's good to feel the life force of this little one strong and vibrant!

#29 of 122 Old 09-16-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writinglove View Post

I found a doula, who I absolutely love. She teaches interval classes for preggo ladies, and I'm excited to do some exercise tailored especially for the work of pregnancy and birthing. I get to learn all about the transverse abdominal muscles. 

This is great!  I have been mostly walking for exercise, but 2 weeks ago I picked up a video for pregnant women that has intervals too and I was surprised to see how excited I was doing it.  I guess I have really missed working out!  The video I got is kind of like Jillian on downers, so perfect for pregnancy and I feel like I will be in good shape to start back with my regular routine after my recovery from the birth :)

#30 of 122 Old 09-16-2011, 07:52 AM

Totally off topic and in the "bizarre but harmless fun" category... Yesterday I met up with a friend whom I hadn't seen since I got pregnant.  She and I are both Mexican, and I can tell you that we Mexicans LOOOOOVE all things esoteric.  Anyhow, she said her grandmother could tell the sex of a baby by holding a necklace chain over your hand and seeing if it spun in a circle (girl) or back and forth (boy), and apparently grandmother had never been wrong (and this friend has tons of siblings and cousins!). 

So we did it just for kicks and it turns out I'm having a girl!  :)  She did it three times, because according to her each time you do it, you find out the sex of one of the children you're going to have in your lifetime.  The first two times the chain spun in circles, meaning I'll have two girls, and the third time she did it the chain stood perfectly still, meaning I wouldn't have any more children after the two girls (which is fine with me, they can share a room and wear each other's clothes!).  I looked at her hand each time and I was sure that it wasn't moving at all!  bigeyes.gif

Yes, I know it's not the most scientific of approaches, but it was harmless fun and heck, she has a 50% chance of being right for each of the pregnancies!  orngtongue.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page