Extreme anemia! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-16-2011, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi ladies!

I am very concerned because I have extreme anemia.  I am SO tired, exhausted and weak.  It is also causing me to have a really hard tme with breathing.  I went to a naturapath and he prescribed me iron pills and I have been drinking nettle tea and making sure that I more recently am eating more red meat.  My iron number that my naturapath gave me was 29.7 and my midwife told me that they aren't supposed to take me if my number is below 30.  Perhaps I am just venting because I am worried that I will have to go to the hospital for delivery and have been told that our hospital has one of the highest c-section rates in the country.  I REALLY hope and pray that these iron supplements get my numbers up so that I can breathe right again and can have more energy.  The breathing thing keeps me up at night because when I lay down I have so much trouble breathing.  It feels like an astma attack.  I am so tired and 24 weeks pregnant.  Anyone else here really anemic or was?  Did you get your numbers up?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 10:25 AM

That just sounds awful. :(

Did they run a full lab panel on other possible causes or just simply focus on anemia?

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 09-16-2011, 10:39 AM

i have a really good vegan friend who found herself extremely anemic throughout her pregnancy, despite intensive supplementation.  she ended up getting (twice?) weekly iron IV infusions, and that sustained her through pregnancy.  she ended up having a perfect homebirth, and everything worked out beautifully.  just to encourage you- there's options out there that can keep you out of the hospital!

i really hope you're feeling better soon!

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 09-16-2011, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I eat very few animal products so iron is always a concern.  I have read great things about organic unsulphured blackstrap molasses, which has in just one tablespoon 15 - 20% of the daily iron your body needs.  I take 1-2 tablespoons every day (one in the AM and one at night), either with my oatmeal, with warm almond milk, or in my apple cider vinegar (because something about the vinegar helps the body to absorb the iron).  I have been feeling SO much better, with more energy, my digestion is great, I can breathe well and I sleep like a champ.  It can't hurt to add it to your regimen, since it's from a natural source and therefore easily absorbed by your body and your baby's body without any negative side effects.  I have read a lot about it online and suggest you do the same.  I hope you feel better!!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:57 PM

I've struggled with low iron my whole life.  Because I was anemic my last pregnancy my midwife suggested just treating for low iron anyway and just forgoing the test.... so I am.  Floradix (an iron and herb liquid) is supposed to work very well, but it is expensive.  Yellow dock is supposed to work equally well and is much, much cheaper.  My midwife claims that it works quickly..... a half a dropper full twice a day supposedly will bring your levels up a couple points in a few days. 

Also, when you eat iron rich foods try to eat them with foods high in vitamin C, as it supposedly enhances absorption. 

Good luck!

Old 09-16-2011, 01:02 PM

Didn't need this post because I edited the last.... how do you completely delete these things?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've also been anemic FOREVER...and with this pregnancy my levels have dropped even more.  Other than taking supplements and trying to eat iron rich food...I haven't found anything else to really make that huge of a difference.

As stated above though, I was told by a dietician my last pregnancy that taking vitamin C helps absorb the iron quicker.  So, take your vitamin with Orange Juice. If you eat a burger, add a tomato...

Also, calcium blocks vitamin C intake. So don't take your supplement with a glass of milk!!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

User Tag List