Organic vs Nonorganic Crib Mattress - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-20-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dear DDC,

A friend of mine will sell me her crib mattress for $30. It is in great condition and used over the last three years by her two boys, but it is not organic. I found a Sealy organic mattress for $100. 

Is the organic mattress worth the cost? Do the toxins in standard mattresses get emitted after a couple of years' use? I'm in totally new territory here.

I plan to transition my babe to the crib when/if he is ready, but if I want to buy my friend's mattress I have to commit in the relatively near future.

Your thoughts?

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#2 of 7 Old 09-20-2011, 11:58 AM

I'm pretty sure that a used mattress would be pretty close to organic.  It would have off gassed already being a few years old.  I'm not an expert though so I'm interested to see what others say too.

#3 of 7 Old 09-21-2011, 03:44 AM

My mom tried desperately to get me to use her (my) old crib mattress--- It has been off-gassing for 32 years!  HA!  I just had to say no to that  one.  Looks perfect, but the little voice in my head screamed UM NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!  so I bought a brand new $300 mattress from Naturpedic.. (It's being delivered today - Eeeek)  I went off of a friend's recommendation, and I probably spent WAYYYY too much, but I didn't have to buy a crib, my dad fixed up the one that my mom, aunt, myself, and my sister slept in... Now the sides don't drop anymore and it's all ready for it's fifth baby (my first!)

I was curious about your question though, and did a (very) quick search, and found very vague info on how certain chemicals never disappear from mattresses.  I also know that everything off gasses, so if you have a new carpet in the room, or fresh paint (that wasn't low voc) or whatever, that will off gas...  and what about the bumper guards and sheets and stuff!  (I went for organic bedding too) 

BUT I totally have a pack-n-play brand new - and I'm sure my baby will be sleeping in that all the time so maybe I'm a hypocrite?  Or the brand new car seat/carrier, or baby swing... or the fancy new stroller...  Uh oh, now that I am thinking about this I just may open all my boxes while the weather is nice and air the all out in the sun!!!  (i'm totally not being sarcastic - a mom can get crazy over these things!!!)

I think that a $100 organic mattress sounds like a great deal, and the $30 used one is a respectable option!  Either way make sure there is a fan in the baby's room to keep the air moving, i'm sure you'll be fine!

I don't think my rambling at 6:30 in the morning before my coffee has helped you at all, but I am interested in the subject, and I think that both of your options sound great!

Best of luck!

wool.gif   homebirth.jpg   treehugger.gif

#4 of 7 Old 09-21-2011, 03:22 PM

Personally I feel like if it is an expense you can afford, then why not play it safe and get the organic mattress?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#5 of 7 Old 09-21-2011, 06:15 PM

I consider myself to be insane about chemicals and whatnot, but the environmentalist in me would refuse to buy a NEW mattress when I can get a safe USED one from a friend.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#6 of 7 Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 AM

What kind of "organic" material is it made from? The safest one I know of is organic latex and I'm pretty sure I've never seen one of those for $100. Personally, my gut reaction would be to buy the used one from a friend and buy a fan to circulate the air. Like one person said already, everything off-gasses! 

#7 of 7 Old 09-22-2011, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Good point. I could be dealing with a little Sealey greenwashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisiserica View Post

What kind of "organic" material is it made from? The safest one I know of is organic latex and I'm pretty sure I've never seen one of those for $100. Personally, my gut reaction would be to buy the used one from a friend and buy a fan to circulate the air. Like one person said already, everything off-gasses! 

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page