Maternal milk + Prenatal Vitamins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-22-2011, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi I am taking prenatal vitamins daily and drinking 1 glass of maternal milk every morning, Is it ok? or I am taking too much vitamins?

lwHvp8.png

#2 of 7 Old 09-23-2011, 06:43 AM

I'm unsure of what maternal milk is? But I do believe you can't really take too many vitamins..what your body doesn't use you excrete. Except Vitamin A when you're pregnant. It's healthy in the right amount, but not TOO much. If I recall correctly. 

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#3 of 7 Old 09-23-2011, 06:48 AM

I think you can get too much of a lot of vitamins, but it would be nearly impossible to overdose on any one of them from a prenatal.  Plus, like Kaitlyn said, your body excretes the excess.

What is maternal milk?  I've never heard of it.  But I'm not a milk drinker.  At all.  In fact, I doubt I've had one drop of *poured into a cup* milk during this entire pregnancy!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#4 of 7 Old 09-23-2011, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How do you feel after taking these vitamins?  How is your body reacting?  Are you feeling nauseated or sick?  Do you get constipated or have diarrhea?  Do you intuitively feel like you are taking too many vitamins?  Listen to your body.  It will let you know if these vitamins are making it feel better or not. innocent.gif

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#5 of 7 Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 AM

I'd posted something on the BF forum about my midwife telling to double up on my prenatal (since I am BF). Someone posted about being careful w/ getting too much of certain vit. The most info I found was on too much vitamin A. Interestingly enough while I was taking double the amount of pre-natals (I have since stopped), I never wanted dairy. When I was pg w/ DS1 I wanted dairy all the time. So, I do think your body will "tell" you what it needs. I never exceded the max amount of vit A (in pill form) w/ taking 2 pre-natals, but it was a high enough amount that I didn't want to risk it anymore. I forgot to ask the midwife at my last appt about it though.

From what I read, if I am reading it right... the dairy form of vit A (and pill form) is different from the forms that you get from fruits and veggies. It has to be converted to a different form to be used when it's from fruit and veggies.. if it's not needed your body won't convert and store it. If it's in the pill (and dairy?) form it's stored whether you need it or not and you could possibly get too much of it since it is stored in fat and it can cause birth defects. I'm not sure about the other fat stored vitamins (I just remember from school that they are F, D, E and K). This is just from what I found searching on the internet (not from a medical professional), so take it w/ a grain of salt!!!

aj- married to JA and mami to Bug (11/09) and Critter (1/12)!

#6 of 7 Old 09-24-2011, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all your comment. I've been drinking maternal milk (specially formulated mik for pregnant woman) ever since I learned I'm pregnant. My OB gave me a sample and I believe it's healthy. So far everything is doing well and my recent detailed ultrascan shows the baby is healthy. I just have not asked my OB if it's ok to drink maternal milk every day, I am taking my prenatal vitamins every night which includes Vitamin D, Essential Fatty Acid Capsule (composed of DHA, Omega 3, D-Alpha Tocopherol etc) and a tablet which composed of Iron, Vit.B12, Vit.C, Folic Acid, Copper Sulphate and Manganese. I checked my prenatal tablets and it doesn't have Vit. A so had a relief I am not taking too much Vit.A though my maternal milk has 1200IU of Vitamin A. I am concerned more about if I am having too much of the other vitamins and essential fatty acid since my maternal milk highlights Omega 3 and other essential fatty acid in it's components and I am taking Omega 3 capsule. I will ask my OB on my next visit next week and let you know what my OB is going to say about it.

For info below is the brand of maternal milk I took. I switch to S26 when I finished Anmum materna only because Anmum in Vanilla flavor was not available that time and I don't feel like drinking another chocoltae flavor.

http://www.dumex.com.sg/landing?q=maternal%20milk&gclid=CNyO_9DdtasCFcEa6wod8W4dbw

http://www.anmum.com/en/main.aspx?sid=1422&sva=1

S-26 Milk formula for pregnant

#7 of 7 Old 08-11-2014, 03:34 AM

six weeks pregnant and Doctor only prescribed me folic acid 5MG

Hi

I am 6 weeks pregnant :-)....up until now i have no symptoms, other than on and off mild feeling on right side of my stomach. Doctor only prescribed me folic acid 5MG. She said it should be enough, since i m in good health. She is very sure that i dont need any prenatal :-(....However, I am worried, so today I ordered Anmum materna (Milk supplement). My next visit to doc will be on week 9. Hope I m not harming myself and the baby. I do eat healthy, and do only house hold work, nothing heavy just cooking light meal and making tea etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page