Colostrum? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-28-2011, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can anyone else express colostrum yet? I seem to have something like it going on... it's quite watery, yet sticky... (and tastes kind of like nothing)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 27 Old 09-28-2011, 05:20 PM

I'm not really expressing colostrum yet, but my breasts are starting to get a little juicy. Sometimes I'll find a drop of watery fluid leaking out. I figure it's a good sign that my body is getting ready for baby.
#3 of 27 Old 09-28-2011, 09:30 PM

My DD is still nursing and I think I am starting to produce it, but I really couldn't tell since she is usually attached to the boob. 

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#4 of 27 Old 09-30-2011, 04:42 AM

I've been expressing colostrum since I was about 14 weeks.  Not a whole lot, but its definitely there.

#5 of 27 Old 10-01-2011, 06:16 PM

Almost 23 weeks here and my breasts have been steadily leaking for about three weeks now...

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#6 of 27 Old 10-02-2011, 03:04 PM

I'm 26 weeks, and though I can express little clear droplets out, I'm not leaking anything.  My boobs have quadrupled in size though...and I was already a double D to begin with.  They are heavy and not perky at all. *sigh* I'm actually excited for when they fill with milk so they'll be a bit perkier, lol! lol.gif

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#7 of 27 Old 10-02-2011, 06:01 PM

No leaking yet, but I am a solid 36G these days. Yikes. My back is not happy.

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#8 of 27 Old 10-04-2011, 03:33 PM

I don't remember leaking this early with my first, but the midwives tell me that the yellow clumps on my nipples are not-liquid-enough-to-drip colostrum that is starting to push its way out.  It's creepy.  How can I be 'leaking' a solid!  Ick! Ick! Ick!  grossedout.gif

#9 of 27 Old 10-04-2011, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmythe View Post

I don't remember leaking this early with my first, but the midwives tell me that the yellow clumps on my nipples are not-liquid-enough-to-drip colostrum that is starting to push its way out.  It's creepy.  How can I be 'leaking' a solid!  Ick! Ick! Ick!  grossedout.gif

Ohhhh... THAT'S what that is!  I've been seeing that on my nipples for a couple of weeks, along with some sharp jolts running through my breasts.  I figured something was going on in preparation for milk.  Thanks for sharing and demystifying the situation!

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#10 of 27 Old 10-04-2011, 04:24 PM

I had a sneaking suspicion that's what that was!  Yay!  I've had that for at least a month now... should I be expecting real liquid soon?

Wombjuice, I hear ya, come on milk!

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#11 of 27 Old 10-05-2011, 03:53 PM

The crusty, harder stuff may persist for a bit.  I know I wasn't leaky this early with my last pregnancy, but did have the thicker stuff from about 4 months on.  I have been told that with the early appearance of colostrum, the quicker/easier your milk will come in.  That seemed to be true last time for me!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#12 of 27 Old 10-05-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilichiki View Post

I have been told that with the early appearance of colostrum, the quicker/easier your milk will come in.  That seemed to be true last time for me!

That's interesting!  I've never leaked colostrum and nursing was a piece of cake with both kids.  In fact both surpassed their birth weights by OVER a pound at their four day Ped visits.  My milk runneth over...or something like that. :)

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#13 of 27 Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 PM

I babysat my 11 month old nephew today...boy was that an experience!

He is totally different from how my 4 year old son was as a baby. Very clingy, very needy.  If you leave his sight even for a second, he has a little breakdown.

So, he is crying because I sat him down to go to the bathroom...I come back and pick him up and try to calm him down, and my nipples started leaking like crazy!!

I had this happen after I had my son and was breastfeeding, but the leaking in response to crying never happened to me while pregnant!

#14 of 27 Old 10-22-2011, 07:26 PM

Well, now I'm a little nervous because I'm barely a size B - barely... and I've had the hard yellow stuff since 4 months, but I haven't seen it in a while. I didn't think leaking this early was possible... confused.gif <sigh> I might be too small to have colostrum dripping anyway.

#15 of 27 Old 10-22-2011, 07:32 PM

Breast size has nothing to do with whether or not a woman will produce milk.  Don't be nervous, mama!  If you were leaking anything, even a tiny amount, earlier on in your pregnancy, you've got the equipment and the hormones necessary to produce breastmilk for your baby.

Also, I have been known to try to express liquid from my breasts all throughout my pregnancy...just out of curiosity, lol, and sometimes I get stuff out, and sometimes weeks will go by without a drop.  Again, it is *not* indicative of whether or not I will produce milk after baby is born. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winniepam View Post

Well, now I'm a little nervous because I'm barely a size B - barely... and I've had the hard yellow stuff since 4 months, but I haven't seen it in a while. I didn't think leaking this early was possible... confused.gif <sigh> I might be too small to have colostrum dripping anyway.

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#16 of 27 Old 10-23-2011, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Winniepam - I can assure you that just as Wombjuice says, breast size has nothing to do with success of breastfeeding or anything to do with dripping colostrum. When not pregnant or breastfeeding I can't even wear a bra. What do they call it, a AA? Yeah. I don't have a bust. When pregnant I become an A cup and while breastfeeding I'm between an A and B, the latter only in the early days. I nursed my 3 children for 6 months, 19 months, and 23 months, respectively. Don't sweat it a for moment. Your breasts will fulfill the purpose for that which they have been made. joy.gifbfinfant.gif

Mother, wife, doula, and lactivist.
#17 of 27 Old 10-23-2011, 12:07 PM

Thanks, wombjuice and GreenMama...redface.gif lol, yeah, I'm a AA too lol. First baby... so much to learn. 

#18 of 27 Old 10-23-2011, 07:45 PM

Yep! And my dd is super happy. Me on the other hand, not so much. I'm glad that she's getting something, I just can't deal with the super stinky poopy accidents that she is suddenly having because it comes on so quickly for her. 

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#19 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 12:24 PM

I will admit that the one thing I love about being pregnant is my new boobs. I was about a B cup before and now I am a solid C. I also have been seeing lots of hard clumps for the past 2 months or so.

#20 of 27 Old 10-25-2011, 02:36 AM

I've been told that the boobs don't last though... Do they? I actually don't know how to deal with them lol... I've never really had any before...

#21 of 27 Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winniepam View Post

I've been told that the boobs don't last though... Do they? I actually don't know how to deal with them lol... I've never really had any before...

They do go down, once you're done Bf-ing, but for me, I was an A before I had my kid and before I got pregnant this time around, I was a B-and-a-half.  So some does stay, typically.

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#22 of 27 Old 10-25-2011, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I had a gap of not bfing between children between my first and second child and my breasts became smaller than they did before getting pregnant with my first. Then I got pregnant with my third while my second was still a nursling, so can't say anything there, but mt third child was weaned for 1 month before getting pregnan with this baby (#4) and even in just that one month my breasts went back to smaller than they ever were before having children. I really do have the chest of an 8 year old boy. We'll see what it is like this time. I'm oping for 2+ years of nursing and we'll see what happens.

Mother, wife, doula, and lactivist.
#23 of 27 Old 10-26-2011, 08:11 AM

I'm totally hoping for shrinkage after breastfeeding this second one!  We got pregnant while #1 was still nursing, so I don't know what they're going to do.  They were DD before pregnancy.  Some kind of cartoonish size in the last months and the first year of BF, then sort of normalish again when he cut down his nursing and was eating more solid food.  He weaned this summer, but I was already pregnant, so I can only hope for a nice single letter in a couple of years, preferably near the front of the alphabet!

#24 of 27 Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmythe View Post

I'm totally hoping for shrinkage after breastfeeding this second one! 

I hear you Psythme. I'm normally at 34DD or DDD, depending on my weight.

After burying my head in my hands in the dressing room at Nordstrom when the fitting professional told me I am now a 36G, I can only hope that my girls will shrink a little when breastfeeding is over. I imagine I am going to be in H or I territory in my early days of feeding the little guy. Talk about over the shoulder boulder holders! blush.gif

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#25 of 27 Old 10-26-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Kinda OT (at least deviating from boob size)... is there such a thing as too MUCH colostrum? I'm not leaking per se, but I can express what looks to be an awful lot! I thought it just came out in little bits at a time, but I feel like I can get at least a tablespoon or so from each side with hand expressing. It is still fairly watery at this time too.

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#26 of 27 Old 10-27-2011, 12:07 PM

It seems like I can express a decent amount of Colostrum as well, from what I've read there's not really a "too much". Everyone is a little different, and our bodies will continue producing Colostrum until our little ones arrive, and our milk comes in.

#27 of 27 Old 10-28-2011, 05:11 PM

Being able to express a spoonful soon after birth was great.  Rocket was having a hard time latching, so we spoonfed him a little bit that way.  I'd be psyched if I got that much out pre-birth!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page