October Chat Thread! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 124 Old 10-28-2011, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Major score of the day:  22 Bum Genius newborn AIOs, 10 Green Mountain newborn prefolds, 4 covers....all for $165. 

This is in addition to our stash of newborn diapers from DS1 and the other 15-20 newborn diapers I've picked up at consignment sales over the past few months.  I have a slight addiction....help!

#122 of 124 Old 10-29-2011, 10:32 AM

montessorimama, you may have heard of these resources, but if not you may find them very helpful!

Have you read Henci Goer's "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth"? If not, it has some really good reasons why not to do many interventions. I don't know if your DH would be willing to read it, but maybe if you just happened to be reading it and read him some quotes that would be a good thing...

Also, "A Guide to Effective Care in Pregnancy and Childbirth" is very useful, and is based on clinical trials. They have a great summary in Ch 50 that distinguishes between Forms of Care Likely to be beneficial, with trade offs, unknown, unlikely to be beneficial, and likely to be ineffective or harmful. Then, if you want to see why something specific is categorized the way it is, you can look in the book for explanations and details. Childbirth Connection has the whole book in pdfs: http://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10218

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#123 of 124 Old 10-29-2011, 01:29 PM

The birth art thing can be a blast actually, especially when almost everyone in the class is of the mind..."you want me to do what?!".  It's can be full of surprising and funny moments.  orngbiggrin.gif

Also.... Henci Goer's book, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, is a fantastic one.  It lays out all of the interventions and gives the lists of complications surrounding each one... and she gives sound research for all of her claims.  It's a good one for an organized, analytical person who feels better with the clear cut facts. 

#124 of 124 Old 10-29-2011, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!  Those are exactly the kinds of books I need (I will summarize them for my husband)!  We had a midwife appointment and he seemed to be doing a lot better, he's getting the hang of his role and we discussed in detail with the midwives how we would handle any interventions should we need to transfer to the hospital. 

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page