October Chat Thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it's october(!!!)--- how are you feeling?

anyone have exciting things happening this weekend?

what are your big goals for this month?

how are you feeling? what's on your mind?

chat away, ladies!

i had an appt with my mw on friday and a follow-up ultrasound, because they couldn't get all the pictures they needed the first time. baby looks great, though she's breech. mw tells me not to worry about it right now, but she's been such a mellow kid, and she never moves much. i'm gonna be chill about it for now.

my big goal for this month is to switch bedrooms with the boys. we have a small house, and we've got a lot to figure out to make room for us all.

i can't believe how busy i am these days.

ok, how are you? lurk.gif

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#2 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Happy October!! We're one month closer!!

We're building a loft so that we can have a guest bedroom for when all the relatives start coming to visit the baby (oh joy, guess who gets to entertain and cook and clean?). DH is hard at work on that, and I'm doing my best to maintain my cool while living in a construction zone. It's cleaning day today, so I'm going to scrub on my hands and knees, which they say is good for turning the baby and relaxing the round ligaments!

We had our mw appointment on Friday and got to hear the hb for the first time... It was amazing and I cried. redface.gif The baby was already head-down, although she is such a wiggler that by this morning she was lying sideways across my hipbones. DH has taken to playing patty-cake with her when we wake up: he'll push where he first feels a kicks, and she'll kick back... over and over and over again! It's quite amazing and heartwarming.

Have a peaceful Sunday, can't wait to hear what everyone's up to!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

#3 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

for when all the relatives start coming to visit the baby (oh joy, guess who gets to entertain and cook and clean?). 

Um, THEY do!!  I put post-it notes all over my house - where the dishes go, how many scoops of detergent go in the laundry, etc - and then when people say "what can I do to help" i send them right off to do it.  "Oh, he's nursing right now, but if you could vacuum the living room really quick I bet he'll be ready to be held when you are done.  Thank you SO much!" ;)

wombjuice likes this.
#4 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softlysinging View Post

Um, THEY do!!  I put post-it notes all over my house - where the dishes go, how many scoops of detergent go in the laundry, etc - and then when people say "what can I do to help" i send them right off to do it.  "Oh, he's nursing right now, but if you could vacuum the living room really quick I bet he'll be ready to be held when you are done.  Thank you SO much!" wink1.gif

I'll give it a try, but honesty my upbringing (and my mother, if she ever found out!) goes totally against that! That's why I at least drew the line that nobody can visit until after 8 weeks.

#5 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 10:10 AM

Well, my upbringing goes against imposing on the family of a newborn.  I would never dream of going to visit someone with a new baby and expecting the mother to entertain, cook and clean for me.

#6 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I am feeling pretty good now. I spent the last 2 weeks sick with some sort of virus which just made me soooooooooooooo tired. Holy cow! I could work for about an hour or two and then needed to lay down again. Now I am getting over it and starting to feel more normal. Tomorrow I will be headed back to my water aerobics class after taking off for 2 weeks of illness and that will feel really nice to just be going back to totally normal schedule of things.

No big goals for this next month. I just want to up my exercise level a bit more.... I have big plans to do a sprint distance triathlon in the early summer and then either a full or a half marathon next fall and so I want to be working just a touch harder towards that. Mostly just swimming and biking and the running has to wait because it is too uncomfortable for me. I also have a goal to gain a bit more weight. At 24 weeks I am still 5-6 pounds below my starting weight. I am going up, but just really slowly and that has to do with a pretty high activity level with also avoiding all junk food, which is something I want to keep around since I have lost a lot of weight in the past 1 1/2 years and have no interest in getting back into bad habits that made me heavy to begin with. It is all just a balancing act.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#7 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 12:09 PM

I seriously can't imagine telling family and friends that they can't visit for months. It's isolating enough having a newborn without pushing people away.

It was my experience that people will drop off a meal, coo over the babe and be out the door all within 15 minutes.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#8 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 12:24 PM

I almost wish I had the opposite problem... we live far away from most of our friends and family, and though we have some friends in town here I don't know if they would conisder themselves "close enough" to be able to pop by... although I will encourage short visits! Winter is very lonely as it is...

I don't know about anyone else, but at 26 weeks I feel like the wind has gone out of my sails. We moved at the beginning of the month and I'm starting to need to nap more and more. I'm blessed to be taking early maternity leave (November 1st, because my contract ends and so will my income, I didn't see any point in delaying the inevitable & trying to look on the bright side) - so I will be without money coming in but lots of time for nesting. Everything will come to a screeching halt on December 1st when I hand in my final papers at school as well. 

Today is the first day in about three months I didn't have somewhere to be in the early morning (not kidding, sadly) so I slept in until 9am (by which I mean tossed and turned between 6 and 9 with my snoogle... damn sore hips!) Today's project is (hopefully) beginning to turn the mama and baby's room into not-a-storage-room (I've just been tossing things in there to get 'em out of the way after the move ;)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#9 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

I seriously can't imagine telling family and friends that they can't visit for months. It's isolating enough having a newborn without pushing people away.
It was my experience that people will drop off a meal, coo over the babe and be out the door all within 15 minutes.

Since she mentioned a guest bedroom, I am guessing she's talking about relatives coming to stay with her - not just popping in and out.  I agree about regular visitors.  Set up a Care Calendar, have people bring you food, stay in your pajamas and they won't stay for long!  lol

#10 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:

I guess we're all different. I'd like to choose who I see in the first two months after the baby's birth (my mom and MIL, of course are welcome, and two or three close friends) but most people bring too much drama with them and expectations that I am not ready to meet (trust me, I know my peeps and they're not the "drop off a meal and leave" sort). All of our family lives in other states, so when they visit, they stay for days and I can't really handle that. I don't need well-meaning advice that goes against my beliefs, and having been in the hospitality industry for over a decade, it is too much in my nature to want to make people feel at home, when what I really would like is for them to leave. Most of my family is planning on visiting around Easter, which will be great!

cecarwoman: It's so great that you'll finally get some time off to relax and nest! I agree about the wind going out of the sails, although I am trying to push myself to do a few productive things each day. Good luck with the new room!!

#11 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 01:41 PM

We don't allow house guests for a minimum of 2 months after the birth of a baby here too. I don't mind having someone pop in and visit, but most of our family lives out of state and it would be really exhausting to have house guests while trying to adjust to the new postpartum time. At least, it would be exhausting for me, but I am very deeply an introvert and love to have my space and peace.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#12 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwifeErika View Post

I am very deeply an introvert and love to have my space and peace.

this is me to a "T." i don't care for early visitors, either.

it sounds like everyone has different vibes on this, and different family dynamics- hopefully we all can find the support we need for the perfect babymoons. smile.gif

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#13 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwifeErika View Post

We don't allow house guests for a minimum of 2 months after the birth of a baby here too. I don't mind having someone pop in and visit, but most of our family lives out of state and it would be really exhausting to have house guests while trying to adjust to the new postpartum time. At least, it would be exhausting for me, but I am very deeply an introvert and love to have my space and peace.

truedat.gif Let's hear it for introverts. redface.gif

#14 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 04:48 PM

Hey, I'm as introverted as the next (isn't that the main purpose of message boards!!), but I dig a free meal and a nicely baked pie during my babymoon.

Angela
#15 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 04:52 PM

Oh my gosh - I feel like I have sooo much to do and can't get anything done.  I decided tonight that I just need to start a list and slowly work through it.  We moved 6 weeks ago and the house is still not completely unpacked/organized.  I want to decorate a little for fall/halloween and I need to sew a "trick or treat" bag/basket for DS.  I want to start cooking and freezing.  I have a couple baby shower/new baby gifts to sew ASAP.  I want to sew a new ring sling, diaper bag, a few swaddlers....  We really have no specific place for all the baby stuff.  The baby will sleep with us, but we don't have a dresser or anywhere to store the cloth diapers, clothes, etc.  I started emptying my dresser drawers and putting stuff in there, but then I need to find a place for my clothes.  This is so different from when we had DS - he had to most organized, lovely decorated room with matching furniture, etc...although he slept with us....it was really nice to have a place for everything.  This house just doesn't have an extra room.  Oh, and I really need to go get some maternitiy clothes because nothing fits!  All my old maternity clothes are summer clothes.  I need to find a hypnobirthing class, sign up, and start.  Just trying to get normal everyday stuff - cleaning, paying bills, etc - is hard to get done.  All these things, plus a million little things, just run through my head everyday and it's overwhelming. 

That baby is doing well.  Very active and kicking up a storm.  I'm starting to get uncomfortable and not sleep well...oh yeah, I also need to sew a maternity pillow thing to try to make sleeping more comfortable.  I go to the chiro every 2 weeks which helps, but it's still frustrating to be so restless at night.  The nausea and vomiting are still present but seem to be improving this past week.

We still are no where close to a name....boy names are so hard!  We've always had a girl name and even have a variation of this name for boy #4 if we ever get there.  (We want 4 kids, so if we never have a girl...)

This past week DS has been a bit of a terror.  Peeing on all the furniture - granted, he's only 28 months and has only been out of diapers for a month, but he did soooo well until now!!  He is also getting so whiney/fussy which he rarely did before.  Independance is setting in big time and he's one stubborn boy!  Our daycare provider - 2 days a week - said she's noticed some classic changes in him which she says she often sees when a new baby is on the way.

Sorry for the crazy ramble...this is how my brain works these days!!  Hope everyone else is doing well!

#16 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarwoman View Post

I almost wish I had the opposite problem... we live far away from most of our friends and family, I don't know about anyone else, but at 26 weeks I feel like the wind has gone out of my sails.

I'm feeling so tired these days. I'd like to do more around the house, and get more exercise in, but I'm finding that my body is asking me to rest, rest, rest.

I went to a great prenatal exercise class taught by my doula. It is so great to learn exercises that you know are safe for pregnancy. I had no idea the transverse abdominal were so important!

Goals for this month include finishing up the basement construction (hubby) and starting the move of the office down to the basement to make room for the nursery.

Bought my first couple size 0 kissaluvs. I'm going to try one of their AIOs as well. Also threw in a prorap into the mix. My newborn diaper tryout stash is starting to grow!! I also got my first couple of gifts from my registry, including a really cool book about how seahorses make great fathers. smile.gif

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#17 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 PM

This cold finally seems to be starting to ease it's grip on me, although I'm still having trouble getting to sleep at night.  Good thing too, since dh has to have a procedure under sedation on Wednesday & I couldn't get anyone to watch the kids, so I have to drag all 3 of them up to the hospital with us & try to keep them out of trouble while he's getting prepped, being worked on & coming out of sedation. Any good thought/prayers whatever you want to send that it goes really well/quickly & that this is the last one he'll need it would be greatly appreciated.

I have so much to do & it feels like dh & the kids are determined to make 3x as much work as I already have. I need to completely clear up our bedroom floor so we can put down another bed for ds3, do some more work in the basement so there's room for the pool & try to organize something for clothes & diapers for the baby. Someone I follow on twitter had the brilliant idea to put her socks & underwear in an over the door shoe rack so she could use a couple of her dresser drawers for the baby. Seriously thinking of stealing that idea.

I also need to beat down my emotional/frugal sides & get rid of a bunch of clothes I haven't worn in 10+ years to clear more closet space. And I want to finish the belly cast I did with ds3, finish all 3 boys baby books, & do belly henna & a belly cast for this baby. Plus everything I already need to do, homeschooling the older 2, trying to keep everyone fed (dh does a lot in that department too) & not let the house completely fall apart.

Phew, I need a nap just writing about all that. And I can't even start until I'm feeling better since just bringing the laundry down the stairs wore me out.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#18 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

Phew, I need a nap just writing about all that. And I can't even start until I'm feeling better since just bringing the laundry down the stairs wore me out.

That's exactly how I feel! Suddenly I'm huffing and puffing each time I climb the stairs, and I get worn out just cleaning the kitchen... And this belly is supposed to get much bigger yet... *sigh*

Devasklya: I had been thinking about your illness, glad to hear that it's slowly going away, and just in the nick of time, too! I don't know how you do it, it sounds like you need 28 hours in a day just to keep up with your kiddos, and you still have time to post awesome articles and videos. Thank you!

#19 of 124 Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The fatigue has been hitting me hard as well. Seems like I get winded and tired so quick!

My little one has become very active every night. It takes him a good hour before he calms down enough for me to get comfortable to sleep. Anyone else experiencing this already? I thought I had at least another month!!

Mother of one hyperactive little boy bouncy.gif(9/07) and expecting baby number 2 (Henry Magnus!) on January 25th.

#20 of 124 Old 10-03-2011, 12:52 AM

The weather has been so amazing here the past few days. That's had everyone's spirits up. It's almost Halloween which marks the beginning of the holiday/birthday craziness in this house :). I have now 5 birthdays, 4 major holidays, and my anniversary to get ready for. I'm not actually planning much this year, but still thinking about ways to celebrate for the kids and hubbie (and me) now. 

I cleaned out our garage which was a feat! It was full of boxes and furniture from our move this summer. I still need to sort through the kids toy boxes and clear them out before the holidays. 

The baby moves constantly! Sheesh. Lots of heartburn and I can't hit noon now without going into super crank mode. I had a strange bout of diarrhea for a week (tmi, i know), called my nurse who never returned my call... wth, that's comforting.

I'm not sure why but I've started to feel disconnected from the baby since we found out it was a boy. We definitely wanted a boy, I'm just not sure what it means to mother a son and the thought has me a little perplexed. I think I'd feel more at peace if we could decide on a name. 

We're still tentatively planning a big move to nyc next summer. My thoughts are all over the place with that one~ 

#21 of 124 Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

This cold finally seems to be starting to ease it's grip on me, although I'm still having trouble getting to sleep at night.  Good thing too, since dh has to have a procedure under sedation on Wednesday & I couldn't get anyone to watch the kids, so I have to drag all 3 of them up to the hospital with us & try to keep them out of trouble while he's getting prepped, being worked on & coming out of sedation. Any good thought/prayers whatever you want to send that it goes really well/quickly & that this is the last one he'll need it would be greatly appreciated.

I have so much to do & it feels like dh & the kids are determined to make 3x as much work as I already have. I need to completely clear up our bedroom floor so we can put down another bed for ds3, do some more work in the basement so there's room for the pool & try to organize something for clothes & diapers for the baby. Someone I follow on twitter had the brilliant idea to put her socks & underwear in an over the door shoe rack so she could use a couple of her dresser drawers for the baby. Seriously thinking of stealing that idea.

I also need to beat down my emotional/frugal sides & get rid of a bunch of clothes I haven't worn in 10+ years to clear more closet space. And I want to finish the belly cast I did with ds3, finish all 3 boys baby books, & do belly henna & a belly cast for this baby. Plus everything I already need to do, homeschooling the older 2, trying to keep everyone fed (dh does a lot in that department too) & not let the house completely fall apart.

Glad to hear your feeling better! Been thinking about your health lately.

Quote:

Hey, I'm as introverted as the next (isn't that the main purpose of message boards!!), but I dig a free meal and a nicely baked pie during my babymoon.

Mmmmmmm...pie. I'm not sure how I feel about help visitors with this baby since I had very infrequent and short visits and no help with DS. But I sure would appreciate a tasty pie :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilichiki View Post

The fatigue has been hitting me hard as well. Seems like I get winded and tired so quick!
My little one has become very active every night. It takes him a good hour before he calms down enough for me to get comfortable to sleep. Anyone else experiencing this already? I thought I had at least another month!!

YES! I also have a ton of baby Zumba right after I lie down for sleeping. I too thought I had some more time...

#22 of 124 Old 10-03-2011, 10:42 AM

We're prepping for our Appalachian adventure next week. Thankfully the flight is MUCH shorter than it was from Germany, and the time difference is only two hours. Debating on picking up DS a kiddo-sized backpack so he can carry his own entertainment. Also canning various tomato products. Feeling great lately, but I had the most terrible heartburn a few nights ago.  It hasn't happened before or since then, so here's to hoping I ate too much berry pie!

#23 of 124 Old 10-03-2011, 11:54 AM

Are you guys getting to the point of feeling whale-ish while rolling over in bed? I don't remember being this tired or uncomfortable so soon with my other kids.

Angela
#24 of 124 Old 10-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Are you guys getting to the point of feeling whale-ish while rolling over in bed? I don't remember being this tired or uncomfortable so soon with my other kids.

Yep, I find myself moving very slowly in bed, and I groan involuntarily when I roll over (really sexy, I'm sure, haha). I still feel pretty nimble when I'm on my feet, though, except for the shortness of breath... Don't you feel like it caught you by surprise? Like it came on from one day to the next?

#25 of 124 Old 10-03-2011, 12:35 PM

also, oh my gosh, please stop kicking my cervix you baby you... 

#26 of 124 Old 10-03-2011, 01:04 PM

My baby has taken to kicking either the back or the bottom of the womb lately too, it kind of hurts! I jump a little every time, but it also seems to be baby's way of telling me it's time to eat as I usually start to get hungry right after. 

That brings up another point, if we are not hungry but haven't had 3 meals that day, do we necessarily have to eat?  Many times in the last month or two I am not hungry at dinner time, but I make myself eat anyway. I'm already up 20 pounds, so I definitely don't want to eat more than I and baby need.

I hear ya mamas on feeling like a whale, my husband and I get a laugh every time I roll/waddle out of bed to get up.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#27 of 124 Old 10-03-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imakecutebabies View Post

also, oh my gosh, please stop kicking my cervix you baby you... 

Eek! I think this baby is transverse and punching my cervix and bladder periodically. I sometimes get into child's pose for relief if it gets really uncomfortable. Not feeling whale-ish quite yet, but I had an overturned beetle moment when I got stuck in a friend's DEEP recliner over the weekendcrap.gif

#28 of 124 Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softlysinging View Post

Well, my upbringing goes against imposing on the family of a newborn.  I would never dream of going to visit someone with a new baby and expecting the mother to entertain, cook and clean for me.

Well said! On the other side of things its one reason I dont plan on having anyone around till my baby is 3 months. Honestly I just dont want to deal with guest in the house. I naturally feel obligated to entertain.

Wife partners.gif  mama to our son (01/03/2012) babyboy.gif  for bf bfinfant.gif & familybed1.gif

#29 of 124 Old 10-03-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Yes!!  I don't remember it being this bad so early either!  I can barely get my socks on!  Pre-preg I was running several miles a day and had to stop once I started puking all the time.  The other day I tried to go for a walk with DS in the jogger and was huffing and puffing after walking 2 blocks.  So depressing!  I'm going to go get a cheap body pillow to make sleeping more comfortable.  Never had to so that with DS.  I refuse to pay $60-80 for a "pregnancy pillow".  Hopefully the regular body pillow from Target will work.

#30 of 124 Old 10-03-2011, 08:05 PM

Day one of testing my blood sugar (because I refused that horrid glucola test) and seriously... I'm sooo done with it.  I'm clearly not diabetic, I had pasta and a chocolate chip cookie for dinner (it's not as bad as it sounds, I had plenty of veggies and protein too!!) and my blood sugar was perfect.  Why do I have to do this for 13 more days?  *sigh*  My poor fingers... I feel bad for diabetics, having to live like this (plus the insulin shots!) must suck!

And in the "feeling like a whale" department... DH and I were playing cards tonight.  I dropped my cards and had to look over at DH for help... There was no way I could bend over to pick up the cards!!!  I shaved my legs today and oh boy was that tough!  Three more months of this!  Oh, and is anyone else roasting, by the way?  I feel like I swallowed a furnace!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page