Mothering Forum banner

What's your baby listening to in utero?

794 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Devaskyla 
#1 ·
Anybody strapping headphones on bellies yet? I've been for a few weeks. So far her favorites seem to be David Bowie, Siouxsie Sioux, and Bach.
thumb.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never done that. Not sure why you would? I think I read a few years ago that it could cause babies hearing damage. They can hear sounds/talking/music around the mother.

As soon as this cold goes away, I'm going to start singing the songs I always end up singing to the kids. Might see if my eldest would like to pick a story to read to the baby, too. And I'm trying to get dh to come up with something to say now that might calm the baby after birth.

#3 ·
I don't think I'll be going as far as strapping headphones to my belly, but DH and I have each picked a gentle and simple song that we want to share with the baby when she's born, and we sing them to her often. Mine is in Spanish, and his is in English. Baby will be bilingual at birth!
eyesroll.gif

#4 ·
No headphones on the belly, but I hear they make special sets especially for that purpose...We listen to music most of the day here, so baby is exposed. DS has really been into Cake and Green Day and the Laurie Berkner Band of late. I've been in a bluegrass-y mood and DH puts Jack Johnson on. Oh, the variety!

#5 ·
no headphones on the belly here. The baby gets to listen to the lovely sounds of older siblings most of the time :) For music, the baby gets to hear whatever I can sing along with..... poor baby..... I am not the greatest singer.

#6 ·
I do the headphones because I'm finishing grad school and I have to spend a lot of time in silence doing research. Otherwise, I'd be singing and dancing along!!!

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwifeErika View Post

no headphones on the belly here. The baby gets to listen to the lovely sounds of older siblings most of the time :)
AMEN! My kids make noise all.day.long. !! I could use some headphones for myself to drown out the two of them!

For my daughter I did the headphones with all Beatles on my ipod. My son got nada...second child syndrome. Now I'm too tired to care that baby doesn't get special music.

#8 ·
No headphones, but I am learning to play the piano. I purposefully try to play at least 30 mins a day so the baby gets that exposure. Poor thing because I can only play bits and pieces, I guess I should play the real thing sometimes too so baby doesn't think Moonlight Sonata is only 6 bars long!

#9 ·
No headphones here, either. Baby gets to hear lots of big brother, lots of animals, myself talking to clients 3X a week, sing-a-longs, football on the weekends, NPR or music in the car, etc. I didn't do any special music for DS, either. I'm interested to look up if any actual studies have been done to see if directly playing music for the baby (via headphones) is beneficial. Since we know ultrasound is likely not so good (and is sound waves), I wonder if anyone has researched music. Just curious....

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneboymum View Post

No headphones here, either. Baby gets to hear lots of big brother, lots of animals, myself talking to clients 3X a week, sing-a-longs, football on the weekends, NPR or music in the car, etc. I didn't do any special music for DS, either. I'm interested to look up if any actual studies have been done to see if directly playing music for the baby (via headphones) is beneficial. Since we know ultrasound is likely not so good (and is sound waves), I wonder if anyone has researched music. Just curious....
So, a quick Google search found this article...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1364120/Unborn-babies-played-music-womb-remember-melodies-born.html. It has a link to the actual study and all the references. The author of the study states that playing music via headphones is not necessary and potentially harmful to their hearing development. Clearly, exposing unborn babies to music (via singing, over the stereo if not too loud, playing an instrument, etc) is likely beneficial for both the baby and bonding. Just FYI. :)

#14 ·
Last night we watched Dr. Horrible, so the poor kid got to listen to mommy singing along with Neil Patrick Harris & Felicia Day. lol Starting to get my voice back though, so at least it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.