Baby's Position - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 68 Old 10-03-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know things can change... but at 27 weeks, mw was able to locate a little head (unless the baby has suddenly grown legs out of its head, kicks were obviously up near my ribs) and he/she is definitely head DOWN! (First baby, I hear they tend to settle in a little earlier?) Anyways, hoping baby decides that's a nice place to be for the next few months :) 

Has anyone else been able to find baby's position?

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 68 Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 AM

Totally transverse. My kids dont seem to go head down until the week gearing up for labor. Little punks.

It must be nice to think yours is already following direction. smile.gif

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#3 of 68 Old 10-04-2011, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Mine switches constantly. I am only 24 weeks, so there is still lots of room for flips on a very regular basis. Baby was head down yesterday afternoon, but so obviously breech at bedtime last night with his/her little bobble head right up in my fundus. I figure the baby will likely settle in the next 4-6 weeks into a position :)

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#4 of 68 Old 10-04-2011, 07:06 AM

I'm 27 weeks and he is head down.  He was flipping breech and back up until last week but he's been head down for a while now so hopefully he will stick that way.  He's on the left with his feet up under my right ribs - so LOA or LOT.

Check out the belly mapping section of the spinning babies website if you are curious about how to tell baby's position.  There is also a great book you can buy on her website that goes into more detail. :)

#5 of 68 Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

My baby was head down this past Friday at the mw appointment, but I can feel her going transverse often, with her head bumping near one of my hipbones and her feet kicking sharply near the other.  My mw told me that there's still plenty of room for movement, so the baby will flip flop for a few more weeks before settling in.  Of course, babies can flip even during labor, so nothing is set in stone!

My mw lent me a book called "Sit Up and Take Notice!" (positioning yourself for a better birth)  It discusses baby's positioning and the best postures for ensuring it stays head down and on your left.  It's a quick read, very straightforward, and extremely useful!

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#6 of 68 Old 10-04-2011, 08:11 AM

pilar, i'd be super interested to hear any tips you have to share.  in each pregnancy, i have always tried my best to do everything possible to ensure optimal fetal positioning, but if there's anything i'm missing, i want to know now!

my baby is breech, and she's not a big mover, at all.  i'm hoping that she'll turn sometime soon.  i really don't want to be stressing about position in the final weeks.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#7 of 68 Old 10-04-2011, 08:28 AM

My guy is still pretty unstable.  He's mostly been head down, feet up lately-- then yesterday he moved into a transverse position and has been hanging out there ever since.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#8 of 68 Old 10-04-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoreMom View Post

pilar, i'd be super interested to hear any tips you have to share.  in each pregnancy, i have always tried my best to do everything possible to ensure optimal fetal positioning, but if there's anything i'm missing, i want to know now!

From the book "Sit Up and Take Notice" by Pauline Scott:

- "The trick is to make sure your pelvis is leaning forward [which happens when your back is straight]... You can accentuate this posture by deliberately leaning toward the floor from your waist or by going down on your hands and knees."

- "Since the 1960's changes in lifestyle have been dramatic... Anyone who sits in a modern sofa or armchair will find that her pelvis tends to tip backwards... If you spend a lot of time resting in modern furniture during the latter part of your pregnancy, it is probable that your baby will be forced into the posterior position.  And it is possible that he will enter the pelvis in this position."

The book points out how the incidence of posterior babies has risen significantly since our grandmother's time, when women were more likely to be doing the type of activities that pushed the pelvis forward (scrubbing, harvesting, sitting in upright chairs while knitting, etc.).  Additionally, good posture while sitting and standing was encouraged back then, and it isn't now (think of grandma walking with a book on her head!).  The book also points out that westernized cultures have much higher problems with posterior babies than cultures in which women are less sedentary.  The most interesting thing I learned was that many incidences of pregnancies going beyond the due date have to do with babies being positioned incorrectly, and thus not enough pressure being exerted on the cervix.

Suggestions for optimal positioning:

- Incorporate leaning postures into daily life (e.g. read or watch TV on the floor, leaning forward on cushions or a yoga ball)

- When you sit down, make sure your back is straight, with your pelvis tipping forward and your knees below your hips.

- Lie on your left side when you rest and sleep (see www.spinningbabies.com for more info on this lying position)

- During car trips, prop yourself up with pillows or rolled towels so you are in a proper position.

- Swim, walk, or do yoga (except deep squats, which can encourage the baby to engage, and if the baby engages while in a "bad" position it's more difficult for him to turn later on)

- Sit forward on a yoga ball and rock your pelvis, like Elvis! (Make sure the yoga ball is big enough for your height so that your knees are below your hips.)

My midwife told me that www.spinningbabies.com was based on the ideas in this book, which are in turn based on observations and knowledge handed down from generation to generation of women around the world.  It's not rocket science, but since reading the book I have become much more conscious of my posture and have made little adjustments that have made a huge difference in how I position my body.  For example, I raised up my computer chair so that my knees are below my hips, I read lying down on my left side (instead of propped up on pillows on my back), and I use the yoga ball instead of a chair when hanging out with DH and playing cards at night.  Rocking my hips feels soooo good, and my core is being strengthened just by sitting on a ball instead of a chair!  I have felt the baby positioning herself more consistently with head down.  The only thing that I don't like is sleeping only on my left side... What a PAIN!!

I hope this info helps, and if you have a mw who can lend you the book, I HIGHLY recommend it!  You can read it in a couple of hours, and it includes easy-to-understand info on anatomy, positioning during pregnancy and labor, reasons for medical intervention, etc. 

biophdmom likes this.

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#9 of 68 Old 10-04-2011, 04:07 PM

Wow montessorimama, great info!

I'd also seen this information online for specific yoga postures to help position the baby:

http://prenatalyogacenter.com/blog/explanation-of-fetal-positions-what-poses-are-beneficial-and-what-poses-should-be-avoided-during-pregnancy/

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#10 of 68 Old 10-04-2011, 05:11 PM

This little one is breech and quite happy to be so!  LOL.  Every once in a while I'll wake up with baby head down, but as soon as I get up and moving around, baby turns breech again.  I'm not worried about it at all...she/he moves around so much and there's plenty of time to turn.  I'm just glad she's finally too big to lay transverse in my pelvis...that used to be so painful!

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#11 of 68 Old 10-05-2011, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Baby A is head down and has his little head pushed square up with my cervix with feet off to my right.  Baby B is transverse with her feet off to my left.  We're waiting to see whether or not B is going to go breech, head down, or stay transverse.  I'm SOOOO hoping for head down.  I don't want them to have to manually turn her after A comes out or have a c-section!

Me: 33 PCOS Him: 33 vericocele
13 long years of TTC using various methods before the twins finally came - Too much history to list
IVF #1 11 weeks
IVF #2 Liam and Maisie (now 2 years old)
IVF #3 BFN and no frosties
IVF #4 BFP!!!! Twins again!

***4***8**12***16***20***24*** 28***32***36***40
#12 of 68 Old 10-05-2011, 11:00 AM

after all this time of feeling her in the same breech position, barely kicking or anything, baby moved yesterday, transverse.  i was so uncomfortable, and spent all of yesterday feeling like i had the flu.  today, she flipped 180 degrees, transverse with her head at the other side.  i'm so not used to this, and i'm feeling really humbled right now.  i hope she finds a better position soon.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#13 of 68 Old 10-06-2011, 09:26 AM

My baby is happily transverse.  She kicks and punches, but doesn't really roll or change position a whole lot. 

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#14 of 68 Old 10-06-2011, 10:12 AM

At 18 weeks, baby was breech (didn't quite seem right to consider it breech at that point) and now she's transverse, so I figure we're on the right track.

I have an anterior placenta, so I did some reading about that several weeks ago and encountered this link: http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ofp.htm - sounds like it is referring to the author of that book, and it has a lot of detailed information.

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#15 of 68 Old 10-06-2011, 03:31 PM

I haven't been able to tell what position any of my babies are in until around 32 weeks. Which is fine, because that's when I start worrying about positioning. This little one seems even more determined to confuse me than the others, though.

I was sure that the ultrasound would show a breech baby, because all the movement was down low, but no, baby was head down & up high. I have no idea what this kid is doing in there! Movement is still mostly low & switches from side to side, so I think there's just lots of room and baby is moving lots. I'm pretty good a palpating once the baby gets bigger ( never been wrong with my own or the other babies I've done), so I'll just keep having patience for a few more weeks to figure things out.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#16 of 68 Old 10-08-2011, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hey probably stupid question... if you feel hiccups in a specific spot, is that where the head is? I poked through spinningbabies.com and couldn't figure out the answer right away so I thought I'd check here ;)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#17 of 68 Old 10-09-2011, 04:53 PM

Baby is in a transverse lie - has been since the beginning I think. I'm 26 weeks now so I'm hoping he'll move within this next month. I can feel his head on my right side and we can sometimes see it poking out a little bit. I feel a lot of movement near my cervix- it's a strange feeling, almost like BH contractions but I'm pretty certain it's just him moving around. Less kicking lately, but still pretty regular movement. 

#18 of 68 Old 10-10-2011, 12:35 PM

So I'm not sure if baby is head up or head down (and I'm not too worried about it yet either) but is having to pee all.the.time. even when I've just gone a clue about him being head down?

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#19 of 68 Old 10-10-2011, 12:37 PM

When should one get "worried" about a breech position? I clicked on the breech timeline on spinningbabies, but it didn't open up (error message). I know it's still early... just wondering when you guys would consider getting more "aggressive" w/ turning techniques? DS1 was head down early on; this DS has been head up for a while now... I guess I need to do more yoga! Thanks for the info/links above, too :)

aj- married to JA and mami to Bug (11/09) and Critter (1/12)!

#20 of 68 Old 10-10-2011, 03:16 PM

My understanding is that 34-36 weeks is the time some practitioners start to take serious notice.

Spinning babies is a great resource. Remember Webster Technique (a chiropractic approach), acupuncture (specifically moxibustion), hypnosis, positive imagery and probably many more ideas before external version might be considered. We all sit so much and often recline as well - I've heard some people suggest that explains the increase in breech or malpresentations. Honestly, I don't need convincing. I will do just about ANYTHING safe to avoid back labor and encourage a good position.

mom to DD and one on the way, wife since 1997 to a great guy

#21 of 68 Old 10-10-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremamaheather View Post

So I'm not sure if baby is head up or head down (and I'm not too worried about it yet either) but is having to pee all.the.time. even when I've just gone a clue about him being head down?

The book I've been reading about positioning, Sit up and take notice, says: "Do you feel as if you want to pass urine frequently?  This may be because your baby's brow is pressing on your bladder, indicating a posterior position."   

Other indications of posterior baby positioning include: lots of movement down the middle of your tummy (hands and feet floating about); concave belly button area (almost like a small hollow instead of pressing out); a high and flat tummy on top, which looks tidy and compact even towards the end of gestation; difficulty finding heartbeat, and/or hb found to the right side of the midline.

Posterior means he's head down, but with his back curved towards your back (as opposed to the more preferable anterior position).  Hope this helps...

#22 of 68 Old 10-11-2011, 10:05 AM

Thanks so much for the info MontessoriMama! I'll see my midwife tomorrow, we'll see what she can find while palpating. I'll be spending plenty of time on hands and knees and draped over the yoga ball, I imagine. Gotta find my yoga mat for my knees though... was draped over the yoga ball for a while last night and my knees hurt after a while.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#23 of 68 Old 10-16-2011, 07:00 PM

That's funny! My baby has been head down for weeks and I'm at 28 weeks. The midwives said he/she may move but when we went back he/she was still head down:)

#24 of 68 Old 10-16-2011, 07:28 PM

This baby prefers to be transverse, usually with his head on my right side.  Yesterday, I was getting out of the car and I squatted down to kiss my son as he was riding his tricycle, and somehow the baby went down into my pelvis transverse.  I could barely walk!!  He stayed that way until sometime in the middle of the night.  I could barely walk up stairs and picking my legs up into bed was quite a feat.  It was terrible!!!  Luckily, he's been up into my abdomen again today.   That has never happened to me before!

#25 of 68 Old 10-17-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneboymum View Post

This baby prefers to be transverse, usually with his head on my right side.  Yesterday, I was getting out of the car and I squatted down to kiss my son as he was riding his tricycle, and somehow the baby went down into my pelvis transverse.  I could barely walk!!  He stayed that way until sometime in the middle of the night.  I could barely walk up stairs and picking my legs up into bed was quite a feat.  It was terrible!!!  Luckily, he's been up into my abdomen again today.   That has never happened to me before!

I was taking a long walk with my husband on a nature trail and had to pee (of course).  It dawned on me that squatting was kind of a no-no at this point but there was no other option.  My baby stayed put as far as I could tell but it definitely made me wonder!

#26 of 68 Old 10-17-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinwoo View Post

I was taking a long walk with my husband on a nature trail and had to pee (of course).  It dawned on me that squatting was kind of a no-no at this point but there was no other option.  My baby stayed put as far as I could tell but it definitely made me wonder!

There's nothing wrong with squatting at this point!  If you have a persistently breech baby closer to the end, I would avoid squats until it is turned, but otherwise squatting is wonderful for pregnant women (and also a great position for pushing!)

biophdmom likes this.
#27 of 68 Old 10-17-2011, 06:35 AM

^^^ Right.  In most of the world pregnant women squat to relive themselves multiple times a day until the baby is delivered.  Squatting is a good thing!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#28 of 68 Old 10-17-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softlysinging View Post

There's nothing wrong with squatting at this point!  If you have a persistently breech baby closer to the end, I would avoid squats until it is turned, but otherwise squatting is wonderful for pregnant women (and also a great position for pushing!)

Yes, from what I've read you can squat until you're 36 weeks, since this is when most babies of first-time mothers start to engage (although apparently some babies of veteran moms don't engage until labor!).

#29 of 68 Old 10-17-2011, 02:05 PM

I didn't mean that by squatting to pee one time that my baby was going to engage in a breech position.  I was simply curious as to whether she would move down.  I agree with Africanqueen99, for most of history women have squatted to pee and their babies and bodies were fine :)

#30 of 68 Old 10-17-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneboymum View Post

I should clarify - I did not intend to imply that the squat was what caused the baby to move down in such a weird, painful way.  It was just the circumstances of what happened that afternoon.  I squat all day, everyday with my son and at work.  It's never been a problem.  I have never heard that their could possibly be a concern with squatting.  I did it through my entire 1st pregnancy when I worked full-time. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page