Anyone else on bedrest? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At my 20 week ultrasound several weeks ago my cervix was measuring 2.6 cm. Since I went into labor during my last pregnancy at 24 weeks the doctors were concerned. They felt it should be over 3.0 cm. at least. It was also beaking which apparently means that it is opening slightly at one end. I've had quite a bit of cramping and contractions that always go away when I drink water and lay down, but I have to admit that I am concerned by them. I'm getting the 17-P injections weekly and I was so hopeful that we might avoid a repeat of the last pregnancy. Right now they want me on total bedrest at home. I can get up to go to the bathroom and take one shower a day. I am going totally crazy. I have a 4 year old daughter at home that is also going crazy. It is so hard to keep her busy! I don't have any family in the area, but I do have a great group of friends that have been stopping by and occasionally taking my daughter out and bringing us meals. It's great but I can't help thinking how long that this might go on for. I know it's only temporary, but I really can't believe that I might have to do this for 10-11 weeks at least. I guess that it's better than the alternative, but still the time kind of stretches out endlessly before me. My doctor keeps telling me that this is so much better than being on hospital bedrest and I agree since I did that with the last pregnancy and that was really rough. Just wondering if anyone else in this group is going through anything similar.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 10-04-2011, 11:26 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with this pregnancy. It's always scary to be told that everything isn't going perfectly. 

I am also on bedrest, as I started bleeding at about 20 weeks and any little thing mad it start up over and over again. Turns out I have placenta previa so I am waiting for the placenta to be pulled back away from my cervix...if not, then we'll discuss other options as the time comes. It has been driving me crazy as well as there is so much I want to do in preparation but I can't do anything strenuous. 

What works for me is that I signed up for online college classes and so am working on that from my laptop. It gives me something productive to do to pass the time. Otherwise it has been lots of reading, researching and such. Maybe you could hire a nanny/housekeeper? I don't know where you live, but in my area we have lots of college students going for child care and so forth that need work experience as part of their education, so they are willing to either volunteer or work for a decent wage in exchange for a good reference. :) Also, some hospitals have programs that send a nurse or a volunteer over to help with daily living activities - and depending on your level of income, the cost is little or nothing. Again, it depends on where you live. Just some thoughts from another mom-to-be with too much time to think...

#3 of 16 Old 10-04-2011, 02:01 PM

Oh, man, that just sounds dreadful.  Temporary or not, it can't be fun.

So sorry to hear this.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#4 of 16 Old 10-04-2011, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Great tips Kabob!  My thoughts are with both of you ladies :-)

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#5 of 16 Old 10-04-2011, 07:15 PM

Hope this comes out the right way.

I just wanted to point out that there is absolutely no scientific evidence for bedrest doing anything to reduce premature labour. It just makes drs feel like they're doing something. There is, however, evidence that it can cause long term physical and emotional problems for the mother.

That being said, if getting off your feet seems to help for your personal situation, then you should rest as much as possible, but complete bedrest is highly unlikely to make more difference than just getting off your feet when you need to. Getting enough fluids is also vital. Dehydration is well known for causing contraction.

Kabob, crossing my fingers your placenta is pulled out of the way of your cervix sooner rather than later. You have very, very good odds that it will.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#6 of 16 Old 10-05-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for you support. The online college course is an excellent idea. We're really lucky to have good friends in the area to help me with dd.

Devaskyla, I see your point, but with the last pregnancy we had such a better outcome than we expected after having gone into labor at 24 weeks. Our dd was born at 32 weeks after I was in labor twice and spent the last 4 weeks or so in the hospital dilated 5 cm. Being born at 32 weeks is so much better than being born at 24 weeks. We just aren't willing to chance anything this time at this stage. My cervix is just too prone to dilating. Keeping the baby's weight off of it seems to make a difference. There is no question that if I hadn't been on bedrest before that my dd would not have made it to 32 weeks. My waters were bulging and they just would have broken and labor would have ensued. Getting every day we can inside mom is incredibly important. I'm willing to sacrifice for a healthy baby and I have had no long term effects from last time. It's just unpleasant and boring. That being said, I am getting up to help her with things, get food, etc. so I may be more on the getting off my feet as needed category at this point. I am definately taking things easy though and drinking lots of water and lying down when I contract. If things get worse and more critical like they were last time, I will adjust as needed for the baby's safety.

Thanks again for all the good thoughts and ideas. They are much appreciated.

DoubleDouble likes this.
#7 of 16 Old 10-05-2011, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I'm on partial bedrest and find out tomorrow if I'm moving to full bedrest.  My cervix is shortening too.  I'm not sure what my numbers are.  Thankfully I don't have any children, so I can rest as much as I need.  Long cervix vibes to us both! (and anyone else in this situation)

Me: 33 PCOS Him: 33 vericocele
13 long years of TTC using various methods before the twins finally came - Too much history to list
IVF #1 11 weeks
IVF #2 Liam and Maisie (now 2 years old)
IVF #3 BFN and no frosties
IVF #4 BFP!!!! Twins again!

#8 of 16 Old 10-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Every doctor handles pregnancies differently, it seems, and (as my doctor keeps reminding me) every pregnancy is different.

I chose my doctor specifically because he is more about being stress-free and using natural relief (ie, he suggested massage therapy over pills for aches and pains). His definition of bedrest is relaxing as much as possible. So, if it relaxes me to take a walk, he is all about that as long as I don't aggravate anything. Of course, he had to put some limitations on certain relaxing activities, such as one that my husband and I would usually enjoy... :P 

So, the best thing one can do when one is told to be on bedrest is to just relax and focus on things you can do. :)

As for my situation, at least I stand a chance at the placenta going to where it belongs...I really want to have a natural delivery without meds...so my fingers are crossed that at my next ultrasound I'll get good news.

I hope you ladies also have better luck with the rest of your pregnancies.  

#9 of 16 Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 AM

How are you three doing? I've been thinking about you.  bump.gif

It's been a couple of weeks now.  Any improvements?  Are you getting the thumbs up to move around more? 

I would be going crazy if I were you!  Have you found any good time spending tricks?  Knitting booties and sweaters for baby and the oil spill penguins?

#10 of 16 Old 10-20-2011, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallagher66 View Post

Devaskyla, I see your point, but with the last pregnancy we had such a better outcome than we expected after having gone into labor at 24 weeks. Our dd was born at 32 weeks after I was in labor twice and spent the last 4 weeks or so in the hospital dilated 5 cm. Being born at 32 weeks is so much better than being born at 24 weeks. We just aren't willing to chance anything this time at this stage. My cervix is just too prone to dilating. Keeping the baby's weight off of it seems to make a difference. There is no question that if I hadn't been on bedrest before that my dd would not have made it to 32 weeks. My waters were bulging and they just would have broken and labor would have ensued. Getting every day we can inside mom is incredibly important. I'm willing to sacrifice for a healthy baby and I have had no long term effects from last time. It's just unpleasant and boring. That being said, I am getting up to help her with things, get food, etc. so I may be more on the getting off my feet as needed category at this point. I am definately taking things easy though and drinking lots of water and lying down when I contract. If things get worse and more critical like they were last time, I will adjust as needed for the baby's safety.

Thanks again for all the good thoughts and ideas. They are much appreciated.

DDCC.  I'm due in December and have spent much of this pregnancy on bedrest and the past four weeks on strict hospital bedrest.  I have a 3.5 year old (preterm as well) and know how hard that can be.  What helped a little when I was home at least was getting about 10 bags and dividing DS's toys between them.  He would pick out a morning and afternoon bag and would usually only see those toys once/week so they'd keep him busy.  Also, we had extra bags with play dough, craft stuff, etc.  And....totally un-MDC....DH would go get lots and lots of DVDs from the library.  Not my favorite thing, but I was willing to do it to keep his sibling baking as long as possible.  We'd also get lots of books so he could sit and read with me.

As far as there being no evidence of bed rest being useful, I completely agree with you and have seen how incredibly important it has been for me.  Within days of going from bedrest to "limited activity" which was seriously limited, my cervix shortened from 3.7cm to 2.2cm.  24 hours later with just modified bedrest it was down to .9 and then two hours later "paper thin."  Here I am, four weeks later and still hanging on thanks to strict bed rest I'm sure.  I think the fact that I'm prone to cervical shortening and preterm labor and had effaced nearly 100% very quickly and then it suddenly stopped, is a good indicator that bedrest works!  I don't care if my muscles turn to jello and I'm sad that I can't do anything as long as my baby spends less time in the NICU, doesn't have to have an NG tube, or be intubated, or have 1000 IVs, or have long term health and developmental issues.  If there is a 1% chance bedrest will help prevent that, I'm happy to do that.  I know you're on the same page, mama...just have to point that out for anyone else questioning the point of bedrest.  When you've BTDT with one child already, the answer is pretty clear.  Nobody wants to see their child suffering, be unable to hold them, told to go home at night and "get some rest", etc.  Trust your body. 

#11 of 16 Old 10-20-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

APToddlerMama I agree with you totally. Since I've been in the hospital on hospital bedrest my cervix length is more stable and I'm contracting much less. I had the same experience with my dd. I hate being in here but I'm totally willing to do it to give this little guy the best chance for a good start in life. At 25 weeks gestation, the risks for long term healh problems are still high. I can't chance affecting his entire life just because I'm bored in bed for a few weeks. I've been in the hospital for one week now and can only hope that I continue for another 2 1/2 weeks. The alternative is watching my child struggle for life in the NICU and I'm very happy to keep him here with me. The plan is still to let me go home on bedrest at 28 weeks if things remain stable. With my previous pregnancy I had a similar plan and unfortunately it didn't work out because I kept going into labor and was dilated 4 cm. at 28 weeks. I'm really hopeful that things will be different this time, but I will do whatever is necessary to prolong this pregnancy as long as possible.

My doctor and I talked about the controversies of bed rest. She was very understanding. She said that studies have been pretty meager because moms just aren't willing to use their unborn babies as guinea pigs to see if bedrest works or not. She said in her experience, women who are showing signs of preterm labor with cervical changes and contractions can prolong their pregnancies with bedrest. When women are not progressing during labor and their cervixes are not effacing or dilating, she has them walk, change positions often and move around. When you have a woman who is effacing and/or dilating preterm, walking and moving around does the same thing. I've consulted with a couple of other doctors and they all agree. Bedrest isn't a guarentee, and there's no way to know when a woman who is having symptoms of preterm labor is going to deliver, but it's one of the things that helps.

I have been reading lots, watching some movies and teaching myself to crochet. My dh has been bringing my older kids in to see me after school. We do homework together, watch movies and read together. The days will pass and this is so worth it.

I'm sending positive thoughts to all of you ladies that are going through similar things and wishing everyone a long and healthy pregnancy. Thanks for all of your positive wishes and encouragement. It's really helpful.

#12 of 16 Old 10-20-2011, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallagher66 View Post

When women are not progressing during labor and their cervixes are not effacing or dilating, she has them walk, change positions often and move around. When you have a woman who is effacing and/or dilating preterm, walking and moving around does the same thing. I've consulted with a couple of other doctors and they all agree. Bedrest isn't a guarentee, and there's no way to know when a woman who is having symptoms of preterm labor is going to deliver, but it's one of the things that helps.

That is what I always think about every time I hear that there isn't enough "evidence" to suggest bed rest.  I don't see how MDC can harp so much on being up and about walking to help labor progress, staying off your back, etc., but not understand that those same things will make preterm labor progress for some women. 

Regardless, I hope your time in the hospital and on bed rest moves quickly and you're home with a healthy baby several months from now. 

#13 of 16 Old 10-20-2011, 11:22 AM

I was on bedrest for 11 weeks with my first for high blood pressure, and I do believe the studies on that show that there is little benefit (of course I didn't know that at the time) for that specific reason, but if my cervix were funneling and thinning at 24 weeks I would definitely be in the bed with my fingers, and legs, crossed!

Do y'all know about the sidelines website? They pair you up with an online bedrest buddy, have a support community, etc.  I didn't know about it when I was on bedrest and wish I had.  I also didn't knit back then and now that I do I think that knitting/crochet would be a great bedrest activity as well!  Good luck to you :)

#14 of 16 Old 10-22-2011, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I had a lot of bleeding after my second cervix check and spent some time in the hospital a couple weeks ago, so they moved me to full bedrest and I'll be there until at least 34 weeks. Knitting and tv is my main form of entertainment (as well as pinterest.com - check it out if you've never been) My doctor said that the bedrest may or may not help with the bleeding, but it will help the cervix shortening cause of less gravity.  At my second and third check, my cervix had stopped shortening, so it must be working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmythe View Post

How are you three doing? I've been thinking about you.  bump.gif

It's been a couple of weeks now.  Any improvements?  Are you getting the thumbs up to move around more? 

I would be going crazy if I were you!  Have you found any good time spending tricks?  Knitting booties and sweaters for baby and the oil spill penguins?

Me: 33 PCOS Him: 33 vericocele
13 long years of TTC using various methods before the twins finally came - Too much history to list
IVF #1 11 weeks
IVF #2 Liam and Maisie (now 2 years old)
IVF #3 BFN and no frosties
IVF #4 BFP!!!! Twins again!

#15 of 16 Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 AM

how are the bedresters coming along these days?  thinking of you guys!  update us on how you're doing and feeling!  smile.gif

writinglove likes this.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#16 of 16 Old 11-30-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for asking about the bedresting moms out here.I hope everyone is well.

I'm still here and glad to be since I'm not actually due until the end of January so I'm only 32 weeks. I was released from the hospital at 29 weeks and am very glad to be home. I've had a couple of episodes of steady contractions since I've been home which have responded to terbutaline and lots of water. I refused to stay in the hospital after the contractions slowed down. I'm done with that place until I deliver except to go in for short periods of time to triage to manage ptl symptoms. Mostly I just contract a lot randomly. They have stopped checking cervical length and my doctor feels that is not very accurate after 30 weeks since all women's cervixes start shortening at some point. I have lots of spotting sometimes heavy and sometimes light. My doctor isn't too worried since we know I'm dilated and my cervix is soft. Mostly she's focused on keeping the contractions to a minimum especially the ones that start to come regularly. I'm techanically still on bedrest but I get up a little more now as we're at a much better gestational age. I don't want the baby to come early and still make sure that I get lots of rest, but for my own sanity my husband has taken me to get some coffee and out to eat a couple of times.

The worst thing is that I failed the 1 hour glucose test by a fair amount. My test had been delayed because I had a round of steroids at 28 weeks so I just got the results at the beginning of the week. Steroids will  mess up your blood sugar for the test, but I waited almost 4 weeks so I don't think that's the problem. I think it's the bedrest and the lack of exercise. I just read the older thread about the 3 hour glucose test and the article about how inaccurate both tests are and am debating what to do. I think I have a good chance of failing the 3 hour since I'm mosty on bedrest and not getting any exercise. I also have had so much nausea with this pregnancy and haven't gained a lot of weight (about 10 lbs at this point). I started the pregnancy at a normal weight. I like the idea of testing at home for a short time especially since we might be talking about a fairly short time until this baby comes anyway. I'm trying to eat really healthy but the nausea isn't helping. Sometimes the only things I can eat are kind of high glycemic things like toast, crackers, noodles and potatoes which probably would be not so good if I did have gd.  I haven't been able to eat much in the way of sweets though so I'm not eating lots of desserts or candy or anything like that. My doctor is urging me to take the 3 hour test of course. Did anyone take the 3 hour test? What were your experiences?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page